13 year old boy shot 22 times while riding bike

hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
edited January 1970 in News
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Gun-Shots-Kill-Boy-In-West-Pullman-99544129.html

How we need a children's advocate like Michael Jackson <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Teen Shot 22 Times: Police
Robert Freeman Jr. was about to enter the eighth grade at Oglesby Elementary School
By ADRIANA CORREA and LAUREN JIGGETTS
Updated 7:53 PM CDT, Thu, Jul 29, 2010
BUZZ UP!
140retweet

Theresa Lumpkin said she had been recently thinking of sending her son away to a safer neighborhood, fearful of the violence that's pervading her area.
Now, like so many other mothers who've experienced the pain of losing a child to gun violence, she'll bury her son.
Robert Freeman Jr., just 13 years old, was shot as many as 22 times Wednesday night in Chicago's West Pullman neighborhood, police said. He was standing next to a car near 115th Street and South Perry Avenue at around 8:15 p.m. when a masked gunman jumped out of an overgrown vacant lot and opened fire into a crowd of people.
Freeman was the only one hit, and witnesses said the gunman pumped bullet after bullet into the young boy's body.

Weird News Photos

Mug Shots: Family Business Edition

Chicago Oddities: A Collection of Weird News Tales
"I miss my baby, I'm on my way to morgue right now," Lumpkin sobbed. "I've cried since 9:30 last night and I haven't had any sleep. I will not be eating."
"I don't want to bury my baby. My baby is 13 years old. I don't want to do it, but it's something I've got to do."
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office on Thursday confirmed that Freeman was shot more than 20 times.
Freeman's family and neighbors said they believe the shooting was a case of mistaken identity. Freeman had a similar haircut, complexion and height as another boy in the neighborhood who they think was the target, the Chicago Tribune reported.
The teen was expected to begin eighth grade at Oglesby Elementary School this fall. He had been living in the neighborhood for three months and was mowing lawns to make money.
Neighbors said the neighborhood has seen an increase in home foreclosures and violence recently, and they said they've complained for months about the overgrown, vacant lot from where the gunman emerged.
"This is a harbor for the boys to get away," explained Darlecia Watts. "They all need to come and cut this because this is taller than me."
Police have no suspects, but said they've spent the morning interviewing people from the neighborhood.
Community activist Andrew Holmes passed out around 400 fliers this morning seeking answers.
"We don't want to sit and wait until this incident happens again," Holmes said. "We are trying to be proactive and get more into finding what makes these young men tick and pick up a gun, terrorize and take another life."

Source: <!-- m -->http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-be ... z0vCp42w7t<!-- m -->

Comments

• http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Gun-Shots-Kill-Boy-In-West-Pullman-99544129.html

How we need a children's advocate like Michael Jackson <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Teen Shot 22 Times: Police
    Robert Freeman Jr. was about to enter the eighth grade at Oglesby Elementary School
    By ADRIANA CORREA and LAUREN JIGGETTS
    Updated 7:53 PM CDT, Thu, Jul 29, 2010
    BUZZ UP!
    140retweet

Theresa Lumpkin said she had been recently thinking of sending her son away to a safer neighborhood, fearful of the violence that's pervading her area.
    Now, like so many other mothers who've experienced the pain of losing a child to gun violence, she'll bury her son.
    Robert Freeman Jr., just 13 years old, was shot as many as 22 times Wednesday night in Chicago's West Pullman neighborhood, police said. He was standing next to a car near 115th Street and South Perry Avenue at around 8:15 p.m. when a masked gunman jumped out of an overgrown vacant lot and opened fire into a crowd of people.
    Freeman was the only one hit, and witnesses said the gunman pumped bullet after bullet into the young boy's body.

Weird News Photos

Mug Shots: Family Business Edition

Chicago Oddities: A Collection of Weird News Tales
    "I miss my baby, I'm on my way to morgue right now," Lumpkin sobbed. "I've cried since 9:30 last night and I haven't had any sleep. I will not be eating."
    "I don't want to bury my baby. My baby is 13 years old. I don't want to do it, but it's something I've got to do."
    The Cook County Medical Examiner's office on Thursday confirmed that Freeman was shot more than 20 times.
    Freeman's family and neighbors said they believe the shooting was a case of mistaken identity. Freeman had a similar haircut, complexion and height as another boy in the neighborhood who they think was the target, the Chicago Tribune reported.
    The teen was expected to begin eighth grade at Oglesby Elementary School this fall. He had been living in the neighborhood for three months and was mowing lawns to make money.
    Neighbors said the neighborhood has seen an increase in home foreclosures and violence recently, and they said they've complained for months about the overgrown, vacant lot from where the gunman emerged.
    "This is a harbor for the boys to get away," explained Darlecia Watts. "They all need to come and cut this because this is taller than me."
    Police have no suspects, but said they've spent the morning interviewing people from the neighborhood.
    Community activist Andrew Holmes passed out around 400 fliers this morning seeking answers.
    "We don't want to sit and wait until this incident happens again," Holmes said. "We are trying to be proactive and get more into finding what makes these young men tick and pick up a gun, terrorize and take another life."

Source: <!-- m -->http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-be ... z0vCp42w7t<!-- m -->

How tragic. We have to be the advocate for our children. It's up to all of us. Lord knows, I'm trying to do my part and there are many advocates fighting for our children and saving them one at a time, but it's not enough, never enough. We can't stop, though. We must rise up together and soldier on with love and understanding and undying commitment.
    We need to fight back against poverty and the sense of hoplessness, anger and nilism that is often felt in these communities where there are little to no resources. Many people have answers but their solutions aren't backed by the necessary resources. In this way, we should demand even more of our celebs and athletes, our goverment, and more of ourselves.
    Thanks for posting.
  • youngatheartyoungatheart Posts: 261
    This is so sad. I pray everyday for the world to become a safer and more peaceful place. All of these senseless tragedies have to stop. Michael is so right. Everyone really needs to wake up.

HEAL THE WORLD, MAKE IT A BETTER PLACE

Love and Blessings
  • mumof3mumof3 Posts: 1,973
    What a sad terrible thing to happen it is so scary being a parent from the moment your child is born the worry and fear starts and it never stops god help the poor mother and family and friends
  • i read about that yesterday, so sad <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> there is something wrong in the world when children are hurt/killed, yet violent criminals are protected when people decide not to reveal the killer for personal safety... it is like a catch 22 situation, because as long as these people are free, they will kill at will (GOD FORBID!!) we must teach the new generation to respect life or they will become degenerate, and be a threat to everyone, good or bad
  • This story breaks my heart. My soul is in pain for this mother and the horrible, senseless loss of innocent life. I'm trying to do my part and have been for a long time. We need to band together and all that is really missing is Michael's love, wisdom, eloquent speech, compassion, and vision to lead our way. My love and prayers go out to this family.
  • new tiuxnew tiux Posts: 104
    <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> I can't believe it...no words...it makes me speechless. Why is this world so ill ??
    I don't know, call me crazy, but one day I was thinking of why did Michael spend so much time with kids he didn't even know and why did he pay close attention to boys. And here is what I think - he knew that children are our future, worlds future and he wanted to show them LOVE and more LOVE,no hate or disrespect and all this especially for boys cause it's no secret that 99% of violence comes from man.... including wars, politics, industries etc.. I think he was hoping that if he gives them much love and joy, if he showes them that world is a beautyful place to live and love, they will never turn into smth bad or violence. But our sick world tabloid trash of course literally crucified him for that <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
    I don't know if I make a point here but I tried <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> Peace and love!
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    I had just listened to Seth Riggs (video) telling about how Mj came to the rescue of so many children or families who's children had suffered. If MJ had heard of this story, and could, he would do something, found where this mother lived and helped her out somehow. Don't know how free he is to act as his heart moves, when he is "dead" to the world. Maybe he's still doing things now behind the scenes, maybe we'll find out later. Very sad situation, and so many like it. The Upsidedown poem on this Thriller 2 movie thread sure addresses all this suffering. <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12872<!-- l --> What also makes me sad is that the vast majority of the world have never heard of any of the many loving acts of MJ. One proverb says something like, "Let another boast of your deeds, not your own mouth". Sorry a little off topic.
  • liegiliegi Posts: 640
    What a heartbreaking story! Just imagine the poor mother having to see her son. How can things like this happen? Over drugs? It doesn't make any sense.
  • SangreSangre Posts: 648
    I have no respect for people who damage innocent people. No matter what kind of atrocities they had to endure during their own childhood, murder is not justified and it's not OK to take a child's life.
  • AgentBJAgentBJ Posts: 587
    Oh my lord...I have no words for this... <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • MashMikeMashMike Posts: 1,312
    God, it's so horrible! <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> day by day worse and worse things are happening,i'm speechless <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> this world has become a hell!
  • angelshadowangelshadow Posts: 8,257
    Terribly!!! I am speechless.... <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • rasyterasyte Posts: 484
    dont know what to say.. this is horrible... I wish strength for his mother and family..
    this tragic brings tears to my eyes.. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> RIP... now he's little angel..
  • This is horrible. To a 13 year old kid? My God. I'm speechless. All we can do for the duly is pray. The pain will never go away but pray for mother.
  • Mj5StarChickMj5StarChick Posts: 939
    This is very sad for me AGAIN because he was related to my friend Lazarius and i met him once or twice <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->
    I mean i went through it already with my friend Vincinity but now again it's just terrible <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> It's just getting worse and worse around here it's just like it's getting impossible to solve this problem or to make it better <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
    I mean i walk around this all day everyday which is what makes me not wanna go outside anymore <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> Good thing is i have to stay in the house this last week unless i go out of town to Gary with my uncle.
    It's tragic but all we can do is pray that it gets better. This hood is not a joke or anything to play with now which is y I'm stayin my you kno what in the house <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    These horrible things happen all over the world .. and what is the message we received from the media?, violence, sex, alcohol and drugs.
    We are living in a society without values violence, assaults, death, famine and uncertainty; that is our bread every day, always the same, we are going from bad to worse "-"
  • hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
    This is very sad for me AGAIN because he was related to my friend Lazarius and i met him once or twice <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->
    I mean i went through it already with my friend Vincinity but now again it's just terrible <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> It's just getting worse and worse around here it's just like it's getting impossible to solve this problem or to make it better <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
    I mean i walk around this all day everyday which is what makes me not wanna go outside anymore <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> Good thing is i have to stay in the house this last week unless i go out of town to Gary with my uncle.
    It's tragic but all we can do is pray that it gets better. This hood is not a joke or anything to play with now which is y I'm stayin my you kno what in the house <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
    I am so sorry for your friend. I am so sorry for the state of the world. It should not be fear in trying to live from one day to the next without the looming threat of being murdered or brutalized in the home, in your neighborhoods, in school, everywhere . But such is the way of the world. This is not the Eden that God promised us.

I will pray for you and for that family, that mother who is obviously torn to shreds, and all the children of the world. Children were not suppose to live in fear. Something is terribly wrong in society. We are killing all of our tomorrows, today. Children are the keepers of the dream. Without them, we face a certain nightmare. We have to pray for protection. And after we're done praying, take back what is rightfully ours.

It's time for change.
  • MJFAN7MJFAN7 Posts: 3,063
    This story made me cry, <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

How any human could end the life of another human, let alone a CHILD, I will never understand. God Bless him, and his family. I will keep them in my prayers.