Winnipeg United Way - B.A.D. charity

MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
So today in the mail I just got this flyer. I'm immediately thinking Michael, who else could be B.A.D. It stands for a Buck A Day. So far no mention of Michael but the comment by a leading Winnipeg Sun columnist below says much, Oh yeah he’s BAD, he’s BAD (you know it), and he wants you to be BAD right along with him. Kinda maddening that his name isn't mentioned. It reminded me of when MJ said that he was bad in a good way. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

All that aside I think I will donate to them especially because of their ad campaign. Very catchy. Love it. Since it's new there's been no comments yet, I will keep you posted if MJ gets talked about. Maybe I'll comment. This Laurie Mustard comes to the restaurant where I work from time to time, not lately, so I've met him.

http://www.unitedwaywinnipeg.mb.ca/bebad/<!-- m -->
Have you ever just wanted to be B.A.D.?

Well with United Way, you can be B.A.D., (giving a Buck a Day or more) and feel good about it!

I'm B.A.D. because, in every corner of our city, I've seen the incredible difference this support makes in people's lives. In fact, fully one third of our community, 245,000 Winnipeggers directly benefits from that support.

And the buck most certainly doesn't stop there. That change ripples out to the rest of our city every time a kid succeeds and shares that newfound knowledge, when the role and meaning of family extends beyond those four walls, and when a neighbourhood becomes a community.

The more people working together, the more powerful that ripple of change becomes. Ultimately, we all benefit.

Your small change can make big change possible.

That's why, this year, I'm inviting you to find out for yourself how being B.A.D. never felt so good.

Gregg Hanson
Campaign Chair 2010
Proud Manitoban

Want to buy a Be B.A.D. t-shirt? Call 477-5360

Tell us why you’re B.A.D.!
We’d love to know what inspired YOU to become a Buck A Day donor.
Drop us a line & share your story!

“Our future is in the hands of our youth. Giving to the United Way is how I do my small part to build on and improve our communities.”

Steven, Transona
B.A.D. since 2007
“We’ve given to United Way for years. We like that ALL our donation goes into the community and really makes a difference!”

Shawna, Crestview
B.A.D. since 1995

What a Buck a Day can do

An innovative program creating opportunities for inner city youth to succeed in school and life, echoes age old wisdom: it takes a village to raise a child.

Six years ago, two retired educators, Strini Reddy and Karen Botting, took on the case of low graduation rates in Winnipeg’s inner city. They set out to solve the issue of summer learning loss, the tendency for children to lose literacy and numeracy skills during the break.

"These children often fall further behind over the long summer period because their families cannot provide them with a range of stimulating activities," says Reddy.
<!-- m -->http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/columni ... 94386.html<!-- m -->
Monday, November 15, 2010
News Columnists / Laurie Mustard
Be BAD for a good cause
United Way launches ‘Buck A Day’ campaign

By LAURIE MUSTARD, Winnipeg Sun

Last Updated: September 17, 2010 9:22pm

Oh yeah he’s BAD, he’s BAD (you know it), and he wants you to be BAD right along with him.
Talking about 2010 United Way campaign chair Gregg Hanson, who pulled up to this year’s campaign launch Friday on a Harley, encouraging all Winnipeggers to “Be BAD.” That’s an acronym for “Buck a Day”, a new UWay participation initiative urging ’Peggers to give a buck a day to United Way! Good idea, and great fun for the campaign launch.

Along with the biker get-up, Gregg even had a tattoo with the words “BE BAD FOR GOOD” engraved on his bulging bicep for the gig. Looked pretty cool.

He also revealed through his Groucho-style painted-on moustache that this year’s United Way team has already been very hard at work, having raised 38% of their very ambitious goal of $18,849,630, the amount surpassing last year’s goal by $600,000!

The launch, which took place at Red River College’s Stevenson Campus on Saskatchewan Avenue, also included the seventh annual Plane Pull, in which more than 40 teams vied for the fastest time pulling a commercial airplane a designated distance. I personally witnessed Groucho Hanson and his campaign team drag their plane the required distance in seven seconds or so, and was so exhausted (just from watching) I had to go for a nap.

Bully to all participants who pulled a plane Friday for United Way, winners all!

No question, giving to United Way is the best way to make Winnipeg a healthier, happier place for all of us. You know it.

To find out more about this year’s campaign and how you can “Be BAD” (you naughty thing), go to <!-- m -->http://www.unitedwaywinnipeg.mb.ca<!-- m -->.

STOMPING GOOD TIME

Stompin’ Tom wasn’t there, but lots of “grapeful” Winnipeggers were, as Mona Lisa Ristorante Italiano presented its second annual “Stomp for Human Rights” Wine Festival, proceeds to go in support of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

Many staff and guests wore togas for the event, which included a 10-course meal, silent and live auctions, a cheese toss competition, live entertainment, dancing, and of course, grape-stomping in a huge barrel made especially for the fundraiser. Event co-ordinator Marilena Moccia tells me those in attendance had a fabulous time at the stomp, which unfortunately proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that grapes do not have rights. Yeah well, as long as that results in red wine, I’m fine with it. Congrats to the Grandes and staff for another great party.

SPEAKING OF GREAT PARTIES ...

The Headingley Fall Festival is happening Saturday, Sept. 18, beginning with a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., fun family stuff all day, and wrapping with a free social (live band) at the Headingley Community Centre, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Fireworks, 9 p.m.! Go!

THE LAST LAUGH

A woman goes to the doctor complaining of insomnia. The doctor gives her a thorough examination but finds absolutely nothing physically wrong with her.

“Listen,” says he, “if you ever expect to cure your insomnia, you just have to stop taking your troubles to bed with you.”

“I know,” says she, “but I can’t. My husband refuses to sleep alone.”

Comments

• ejayejay Posts: 455
    <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> I'm from Winnipeg. And i always support this charity. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Hi ejay! Great you're from Winnipeg. Did you receive the flyer and what was your first thought?

This last January I was in the Health Sciences Centre because I was doing 3 weeks of clinical practise for my health care aide course (which I've not yet quit my present job for...), and one day there was this big production in the main hallway with lots of people, news media, lights, etc. and they were pumping out some really loud MJ music, several songs. As I was (smiling at the great music <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> ) making my way through I asked one camera guy about the music. He joked that MJ wasn't dead but that he was in the building, and so I just laughed along with him. It was for some charity but I don't remember which one, and I know that United Way is probably Winnipeg's biggest charity. So now I'm wondering if it was connected to this flyer now. What do you think?