FIND OUT THE TRUTH ON THE FOOD YOU EAT...

looking4truthlooking4truth Posts: 1,450
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
There are two movies I would highly recommend for anyone wanting to know the truth about the foods we put into our bodies and even the clothes we put on our bodies--Food Inc. & Earthlings.

About Food Inc.
Food, Inc. is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Kenner.[2] The film examines corporate farming in the United States, concluding that agribusiness produces food that is unhealthy in a way that is environmentally harmful and abusive of both animals and its employees. The film is narrated by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser.[3][4] The documentary was criticized by large American corporations engaged in industrial food production.[2]

Source: <!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc<!-- m -->.
Official SIte: <!-- m -->http://www.foodincmovie.com/index.php<!-- m -->

About Earthlings
EARTHLINGS is an award-winning documentary film about the suffering of animals for food, fashion, pets, entertainment and medical research. Considered the most persuasive documentary ever made, EARTHLINGS is nicknamed “the Vegan maker” for its sensitive footage shot at animal shelters, pet stores, puppy mills, factory farms, slaughterhouses, the leather and fur trades, sporting events, circuses and research labs.

The film is narrated by Academy Award® nominee Joaquin Phoenix and features music by platinum-selling recording artist Moby. Initially ignored by distributors, today EARTHLINGS is considered the definitive animal rights film by organizations around the world. “Of all the films I have ever made, this is the one that gets people talking the most,” said Phoenix. “For every one person who sees EARTHLINGS, they will tell three.”

Official Site: <!-- m -->http://www.earthlings.com/<!-- m -->

If I'm not mistaken, you can find both movies on youtube. I would HIGHLY suggest you guys look at both movies. They will make you look at the foods you consume everyday very differently. Remember, it's all for love, L.O.V.E. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Comments

• How funny that you posted this tonight, as I just watched Food Inc. the other day. I read Fast Food Nation several years ago, and I highly recommend it too. Eric Schlosser, who is one of the main people behind Food Inc. wrote Fast Food Nation. A lot of the info mentioned in Food Inc. was also discussed in Fast Food Nation, but the book goes into a lot more detail about the fast food industry. One of the things that I have remembered is how fast food companies will put chemicals in their food to give it the characteristic taste that consumers like (ie. MacDonalds burgers and fries). Both the book and the movie are quite eye opening.
  • ER911ER911 Posts: 248
    Hay guys,
    Thank you for the information:) I myself am a vegetarian, ARA etc.

I'd like to add one more very compelling & informative book and video.

It's entitled: Diet For A New America

The author is John Robbins

I think the video is better, because it gives the viewer a better idea of what the author is trying to convey. There are no graphic scenes, which make is more acceptable & easier to view, especially for those folks that are not aware of the entire situation.

John Robbins has a way of getting his point across without being pushy & he makes it clear that this is not about becoming a vegetarian/vegan, but rather he is informing us as to how we as humans can do better for ourselves & the animals & how to do it fairly easy.

The interesting thing is that John Robbins is the son of Baskin & Robbins:) He could have continued his fathers business & been quite wealthy, but instead he had another path to follow:)
  • nynyronynyro Posts: 296
    The only thing I worry about is if it's possible to get all of your nutrition from plant sources. I've considered becoming full-fledged vegan (for 2 weeks in college <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> ) but backed out because I was unsure how Id get B-vitamins (I've heard supplements don't work that well)
  • The only thing I worry about is if it's possible to get all of your nutrition from plant sources. I've considered becoming full-fledged vegan (for 2 weeks in college <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> ) but backed out because I was unsure how Id get B-vitamins (I've heard supplements don't work that well)

Well I got the Vegetarian Book for Dummies and I think how to get vitamin B is mentioned but I forget what the answer is to that question. I'll try to remember to look it up and post it. As you can see, I need help with how to be a healthy vegetarian. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> I've been off and on vegetarian for about 3 or 4 years. I haven't had red meat or pork throughout those three/four years except if they were snuck in (like bacon bits, etc.). However, I always had problems eating healthy while being a vegetarian. I just replaced meat with cheese. Not the best way to diet. I also have this extreme sweet tooth so yeah my diet is in need of a lot of work. These movies (especially Earthlings) really are helping me look in the mirror and make that change with my diet.
  • Thanks PeaceLoveHappiness and ER911 for your recommendations. Supersize Me is another great movie if you wish to know more about the fast food industry. It's really disgusting all around. It almost makes me not want to eat any damn thing. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> (I LOVE food too much for that though.)
  • NightOwlNightOwl Posts: 150
    Thanks for the recommedations. Just last week I watched: The Worls According To Monsanto
    <!-- m -->http://www.documentarywire.com/the-worl ... -monsanto/<!-- m -->
    "On March 11 a new documentary was aired on French television (ARTE – French-German cultural tv channel) by French journalist and film maker Marie-Monique Robin, The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that you won’t see on American television. The gigantic biotech corporation Monsanto is threatening to destroy the agricultural biodiversity which has served mankind for thousands of years."

Documentarywire.com a massive website.