Live from Bucharest...Does it Mean Anything?

Every time I hear Behind the Mask and hear the crowd cheering from Michael's Bucharest concert, I wonder...WTH. Why did they put the Live from Bucharest sound bite from the concert at the beginning and later again in the song? Has anyone come up with a reasonable answer for why this was done? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

So, I thought about it awhile and I have come to the conclusion that it is possibly a clue. Could it be that Michael is in Bucharest and putting the Live from Bucharest cheers in is telling us that? IDK...just a thought. Anyone have any better ideas or reasons for the Live from Bucharest sounds mixed into this song?

BTW, I am not one to find clues in every aspect of this roller coaster ride. OK, back to my padded cell for now. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Comments

• becbec Posts: 6,387
    Call me crazy but Michael always looked super weird to me in his close ups from that concert. He was very heavily made up.
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    I was just watching about 3 songs he did live in Bucharest, and he looks beautiful to me, totally MJ, IMO.
    Liberian Girl Heehee, is there some specific things that cause you to identify the cheering as Bucharest? It's interesting that it is the only song that has an audience cheering.
  • Hmm.. "behind the mask" - Bucharest - heavy make up = mask - stage - audience

Conclusion:
    MJ is speaking to the audience from behind the mask.

<!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->
    At least I tried...
  • Call me crazy but Michael always looked super weird to me in his close ups from that concert. He was very heavily made up.

You ain't crazy at all. I thought and still think at times that it's not Michael on that stage.
    Call me crazy but Michael always looked super weird to me in his close ups from that concert. He was very heavily made up.

You ain't crazy at all. I thought and still think at times that it's not Michael on that stage.

Ok, confession: first impression upon seeing him in the very first closeup shot on that concert tape: That's Not Michael.

But then I'm like, ok that's nuts. If that was the double they would never have used such tight close ups.

But first impressions should not be ignored. They are pure and raw and untainted by outside influence. So there's some merit there. Which is why I never completely disregarded my instincts.
  • I heard it from a romanian press photographer that Michael never wanted close-up photos on that concert (?)
  • I heard it from a romanian press photographer that Michael never wanted close-up photos on that concert (?)

He was probably exhausted and having skin issues. You could see that he had tons of make up on to cover his skin as well as more eye make up than usual. Being on stage can make you look washed out as it is, imagine being exhausted on top of that. I think that's all it was. I never for a minute have thought that wasn't Michael and I have been watching that particular concert obessively since I was 6 or 7. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> But this whole thing is making me ask myself, "What do I know?".
  • Ok, confession: first impression upon seeing him in the very first closeup shot on that concert tape: That's Not Michael.

But then I'm like, ok that's nuts. If that was the double they would never have used such tight close ups.

But first impressions should not be ignored. They are pure and raw and untainted by outside influence. So there's some merit there. Which is why I never completely disregarded my instincts.

Yeah I've been there but I can't help what my gut tells me. I keep saying this but I really think something happened around the BAD era...like a switch or something. I have to do more research to see if my inkling has some merit but there are just too many things that were different from BAD to Dangerous. I also think it's interesting that with that taping at Bucharest, you see more of the audience. It's like they become apart of the show and there's a little less focus on Michael whereas with the BAD tour, most of the footage is focused on stage with Michael singing live and dancing for about 2 hours straight. It could be a coincidence that this happened but I can't help but wonder.

• Ok, confession: first impression upon seeing him in the very first closeup shot on that concert tape: That's Not Michael.

Do you mean the Bucharest show that was aired then, or the later DVD release?
    I remember the first close-up looked very strange to me, when it was live on tv. But it seems many images have been replaced on the dvd version (ie. audience clips from the Bad Tour etc), but i only saw this once so i don't remember well.
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    I think I mostly see MJ himself on that DVD, but there are moments that make me go hmmmmm, like indeed with the first shot.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• But I loved when he sang Wanna Be Starting Something - He looked so, so, so, <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: --> The only time I know it wasn't Michael was at the end when he flew acros the audience and after doning the monster face in Thriller. Even the pants on dude didn't fit <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Slack in the back and we KNOW Michael had back <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> FLASHBACKS <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Okay, off that subject now. Bad girl. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> NEXT.
  • Maybe it's because he liked the concert.
  • But how can you tell? I can't hear that well.

Ok, confession: first impression upon seeing him in the very first closeup shot on that concert tape: That's Not Michael.

Do you mean the Bucharest show that was aired then, or the later DVD release?
    I remember the first close-up looked very strange to me, when it was live on tv. But it seems many images have been replaced on the dvd version (ie. audience clips from the Bad Tour etc), but i only saw this once so i don't remember well.

On the DVD. I didn't see it live or the first time around.

I just can't forget that first impression. It's like seeing someone you know.... and then they don't look familiar. Your brain spots the difference even if cognitively you can't determine any.

I don't think it's just the makeup.

But what is possible, is that was the first time I ever saw Michael so CLOSE. That I had an impression of what I believed his face to be, after staring at so many images of him, and watching so many videos, for so many years... that the man and the face I thought I knew and saw wasn't him at all. That THIS live from Bucharest man IS Michael, the real Michael, not under perfect lighting or perfect angles as you'd see in promo pics or video shoots, but the real live and super close up Michael... and I just had such a false impression all these years, of what I thought his facial features were. Like my brain made them into something else due to the relative lack of detail of a portrait as opposed to being on live camera.

Because as every girl knows, not all pics are flattering. They all might be you, but to a stranger you could look like 2 completely different people in 2 different pics. I'd use some of myself to illustrate but I won't because I'd have to put up a bad pic of myself and I'm not quite that confident, lol.

So maybe Bucharest just is Michael, the real Michael, and I was surprised because what I had thought was the real Michael was actually just the properly presented, posed, and lighted Michael... and I was just surprised by the lack of perfection in the real Michael (that my subconscious brain, with the help of skilled photographers, has been substituting) that the super close up HD quality footage reveals.

So that truly is, then, a man behind a mask. It just happens to be me that made him wear it.
  • and on topic?
    That is on topic.
    Bec, could you do a screen shot of that particular first sighting of MJ there? Maybe I wasn't seeing the same person in the videos I was watching. Also I've only been following MJ since his death so that may be a factor. Thanks!
  • That is on topic.

Liberian Girl asked if it meant something.
  • I just can't forget that first impression. It's like seeing someone you know.... and then they don't look familiar. Your brain spots the difference even if cognitively you can't determine any.
    Well this is exactly what i felt back then, so i guess we're talking about the same image. I think the broadcast was a few days after the Daily Mirror published the "Michael Jackson's real face" thing.
  • Its herIts her Posts: 1,137
    Every time I hear Behind the Mask and hear the crowd cheering from Michael's Bucharest concert, I wonder...WTH. Why did they put the Live from Bucharest sound bite from the concert at the beginning and later again in the song? Has anyone come up with a reasonable answer for why this was done? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

So, I thought about it awhile and I have come to the conclusion that it is possibly a clue. Could it be that Michael is in Bucharest and putting the Live from Bucharest cheers in is telling us that? IDK...just a thought. Anyone have any better ideas or reasons for the Live from Bucharest sounds mixed into this song?

BTW, I am not one to find clues in every aspect of this roller coaster ride. OK, back to my padded cell for now. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Oh, Yeah, it does! This album is positively riddled with all kinds of soundbites from fan memories! I was looking for a place to post this when I saw your question. I thought at first, to cement it firmly in OUR minds, at least, that MJ IS alive, because only HE would have known WHICH and what to sprinkle in, here and there.

Do you think ANYone besides MJ would have even known OF, or thought to throw in some "audience play Hee-Hees" from any concert of his??? NO. Would they have known WHICH one?? NO. Would THEY have had any reason to?

NO
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Now, how many of us knew instantly what it was???

I can't tell you for sure, what MJ might have meant by doing this, but there is more to the puzzle, so come, let us reason, together...Jump in with ideas!

The Bucharest concert DVD was actually the fifth (and bonus) disc included in the white Ultimate Collection Album. I always wondered why THAT concert and not any one of the others. Very very rarely on it, do we ever see his face, unhidden by his tendrils! I had to freeze it to be certain it was him! This one was of the one broadcast on HBO. This one was the one, which in October 1992, showed everyone with an eye, how massively <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> powerful he was, in compelling SEAS of people to show up in person, to sing along with him, breath his air and adore him.

When I SAW all those people, I thought, "omg, <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> he's the walking dead". It was very disturbing. We know TPTB don't ever share their power with anyone, even a song and dance sweetie-pie. They may have even let him go with a wink and a stern word, to stay in Europe except, in two months, he would, in America, cause more people EVER in the history of THE SuperBowl, to remain in their seats during the halftime program, and THEN get the cooperation of almost 40 thousand people to flip multi-racial cards up on cue, as part of his Heal the World show display of the World's children. He looked much younger and whiter than he was. When TPTB realized this guy was pushing forty, independantly wealthy and BLACK, (yeah THAT "Michael Jackson"!), it was seen as some subterfuge...and up went evey red flag they had.

After years of recluse, MJ suddenly decided it would be a good thing to give fans some of his personal self and submitted to a major no holds barred Oprah set-up, which only served to bait his enemies' trap for him. His achilles heel: kids. Almost as if scripted and choreographed, the legal allegations began and months later, the Bashir treachery pretty much sandbagged him for good...

You can take or leave my theories--but I believe he was threatened after the '92 concert. Either to tone it down, or cut it off, or they would hurt <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> fans at these gatherings, and crush his heart. People would be afraid to love and follow him. Never mind the loss of revenue, MJ would NEVER risk a fan's wellbeing or life. All TPTB did was piss him off, Royally. I believe he contrived ALL of the juicy, gossipy breaking news and allegations to give himself a HIGHER profile, so the world would be watching if anyone tried anything... We don't really know why he canceled some concerts---even though he's the type to believe the show must go on EVEN IF <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> you're dead <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Seriously, we've all seen him work when he didn't feel well, or was exhausted, or injured... He gives and gives. And gives. Those lame excuses that he was in rehab...I believe were all for Love, nothing less...

Anyway, IDK; just streaming...Perhaps MJ put the LIVE in Bucharest clue in "Michael", to get us all to look "BACK" and think...

Or, maybe this is where he will do the BAM: LIVE in...We know they have capacity <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->

This is not the only soundbite from the past on "Michael", but I need to post properly about these on the thread about the music: Enjoying Michael. Let me just say here that the song I Like the Way You Love Me is also on the Ultimate Collection white album, previously unreleased, NOT coincidentally. That is 2 ties, so far to the Ultimate Collection or 2004. What could this mean? <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
    It's Her, I believe you are very perceptive and I agree that your theory is sound.

Monster :01 very first sound on the track is Thriller :01 very first sound on the track. Do you hear it? Who else knows that? For many of us that sound is ingrained very very deeply in our subconscious. The fans know that. And Michael knows that.
    I was looking for something else and found this, and I don't know if it helps. It reminds me of
    Kenny Ortega's tweets about Captain Hook below.
    by mjbusterdion » Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 am

Wow just remembered something at the start of the dangerous bucharest tour unedited version the very last song that he uses before the Intro and he jumps out of the stage is a song called

"here comes the SUN" by the beatles it was always the last song chosen before the concert started just seen it on the DVD..

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right
    It's all right
    Many already know about Kenny Ortega’s tweet: “Smee: Captain, the ice is melting, the sun is out and the flowers are all in bloom Captain Hook: He’s back” {Sep 1st, 2009 via web; <!-- m -->http://twitter.com/KennyOrtegaBlog/status/3684282550<!-- m -->}. This was so obvious, that he got several questions about it; so only one day later, Kenny said: “... I was quoting text from Peter Pan. Please don’t look for hidden messages. Promise they’re not there. Just fun” {}.
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    It's Her, I believe you are very perceptive and I agree that your theory is sound.

Monster :01 very first sound on the track is Thriller :01 very first sound on the track. Do you hear it? Who else knows that? For many of us that sound is ingrained very very deeply in our subconscious. The fans know that. And Michael knows that.

I already thought I heard something familiar in there. Will listen again tomorrow.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• techdivatechdiva Posts: 448

I totally agree with you. It something about the eyes. Also, I get the feeling it's not him. I'd read Sousa and Mo blog of their conversation with Jennifer Batten and she stated that Michael didn't rehearse as much on the Dangerous or History tour as he did with the Bad tour. If you notice Bucharest and Copenhagen concerts his size is different.

I already thought I heard something familiar in there. Will listen again tomorrow.

You have to listen to the digital version turned up fairly loud. Sounds like the creaking door opening to Thriller at the *very* beginning and then quickly you realize it's not a door creak it's wind blowing.

Breaking News static opening is similar but it's not the exact soundbyte like it is in Monster.

There's so much stuff in this album, I need a note pad while listening to record it all but I get wrapped up in Enjoying Michael.