MAN OF THE YEAR: MICHAEL’S UNIVERSE

applehead250609applehead250609 Posts: 2,615
edited January 1970 in General MJ Discussion
Hello!!!

Everyone should read this.I'm so proud of Michael,he inspired and continues to inspire alot of people.God bless you Michael <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> !!!!
This is my favourite part:
" I’ve had the opportunity to talk with people like Nelson Mandela and Oprah Winfrey, but the relationship with Michael was very special. Every time I left him, I’d be sad seeing him standing on the porch waving good-bye. He was always so welcoming, so hospitable. He was never about selfishness or harming anyone. He was always about trying to be closer to God, to be Christ-like. He loved more than he was loved and was always trying to get closer to God, to do the right thing even though it wasn’t always what he wanted to do. And whenever he was tested, he looked for his strength within, from bringing God into his body and putting him first in his life. Michael was really very spiritual and put God in control of his life.

He was truly blessed by God".

MAN OF THE YEAR: MICHAEL’S UNIVERSE

Black radio, the medium upon which Black Radio Exclusive Magazine (BRE) was founded, literally grew up with Michael Jackson, and it has been through those eyes and ears that the little kid from Gary, Indiana not only heard his first James Brown licks but also his own music as it fanned the world. The professionals in radio and the music industry who were welcomed aboard and helped contribute to the MJ phenomenon recall many of those moments when they learned firsthand the work ethic, discipline, passion and pursuit of excellence through which Michael defined not only his artistry but his very lifeform—a template upon which to build a better world.

The (Hold My Hand) video is a tribute to all that Michael stands for–life, in all its permutations…love, and its power…. A video of memory, healing and joy.—Mark Pellington, director of video for “Hold My Hand” (duet with Akon)

In 2007, I co-wrote a song called “Hold My Hand” with Akon. A good friend and dope engineer, Exit Goodchild, made it sound like magic. My idol, Michael Jackson recorded it and made one of my lifelong dreams come true. It was slated to come out…what happened next the whole world knows. It’s now 2010, and although the circumstances are bittersweet, I am still honored and proud that “Hold My Hand’ will have its day in the sun. Grateful.—Claude Kelly, co-writer

It was a blessing and a dream of mine since I was a kid. Ever since I was 11-years old, I knew I wanted to be a producer and I knew I wanted to work with Michael Jackson. He played a big part in me learning how to publish my music. I knew a little about publishing when I came into the game at 16, but when I started working with Michael, I was 20 and he taught me about buying publishing and acquiring a catalogue at a young age. So I started buying other people’s catalogues and I am still buying people’s catalogues and it was because Michael taught me the system.

Michael was quiet with people he didn’t know, but Michael and I used to kick it in Miami and we kicked it in New York all the time. When “Rock My World” came out, he actually let me test the single at the Ruckers in New York before the single was released; that’s how cool he was.”—Rodney Jerkins, DarkChild, producer and BRE Man of the Year 1999

————————————————–

My first personal encounter with Michael Jackson began early in my career. He actually was the first big star I had the opportunity to interview live in the studio on-air followed by a chance to MC the Jackson’s Concert while in Hartford at WKND in the late ‘70s. I also had a chance to work with him in the studio directing and recording his voiceover to be inserted into a Jackson’s Concert radio spot. During that session I witnessed first-hand Michael’s discipline for perfection. The collective time I was able to spend with him formed my initial respect and admiration for an artist who would soon become the King of Pop. I found him always to be a consummate professional, very cooperative, genuinely friendly, with a good sense of humor.

As his solo career ascended to superstardom, there have been special occasions that have led our paths to meet again along the way. I remember in the ‘80s having exclusive access to broadcast live from the sold out Victory Tour Concert at RFK stadium on the Top 40 station Q107 where I did evenings in DC, reporting all the onstage action and excitement to those unable to be there. It was there I really observed and felt the powerful force of Michael Jackson.

It was at rehearsal in the ‘90s the day before the Soul Train Music awards–the year Michael was to perform and to be honored–where Don Cornelius happened to introduce me to someone in Michael’s camp. Before I knew it an impromptu private invitation had been extended to me and my family to join Mr. Jackson inside his personal luxury motor home parked backstage. We were greeted by a very cordial, jovial and mild mannered Michael Jackson. He seemed very relaxed yet very professional. It was an enjoyable visit. He told me he invited me in to express his appreciation for the support I’d given him in the past and as Program Director in New York. He also said he was thankful to all of Black Radio for all the support provided to him and his brothers through the years.

You may recall, later that evening while practicing some moves in his hotel room he broke his leg. However the next day his passion and strong tenacity earned even greater respect by all as he performed live in a wheel chair.

As a groundbreaker, passionate musicmaker, dance master and trendsetter… Michael Jackson changed the game worldwide and continues to do so with his new album Michael.

As a fan from the days of the Jackson Five, it’s been a privilege to know the world’s greatest entertainer and humanitarian. I wholeheartedly salute BRE’s Man Of The Year, Michael Jackson!—Vinny Brown, Executive Vice President, Taxi Productions UAC KJLH-FM (102.3), Los Angeles

————————————————–

Thank you Michael, because of you, the world’s a better place.—Dick Gregory

————————————————–

I still can’t get my arms around the fact that he is gone.—Quincy Jones

————————————————–

I can still remember the first time I saw the Jacksons on the “Ed Sullivan Show.” I said to my brother, “This little kid Michael cannot be from this planet!—Doc Wynter, Clear Channel Sr. VP Urban Programming

————————————————–

This album really stands up in terms of showcasing Michael and his amazing voice and creativity. Songs like “Best of Joy” are right up there with his best work. I think time will show that.—Brad Davidson, SONY Music Sr. VP Promotions

————————————————–

It was a great privilege and honor to work with Michael and Quincy on the Thriller album. I promised Michael when I first came over to CBS that I would fight to make certain that the company marketed, promoted and distributed his product the way they did their Pop acts. I believe I kept my promise and in doing so we forever changed the parameter for what a Black artist could become. I am very proud of my contribution to the legacy of Michael Jackson.—Larkin Arnold, Esq., entertainment attorney, former Sr. VP CBS/Sony Music

————————————————–

Growing up with the Jackson 5 and then being in radio when Michael Jackson got on the scene has been a high point for me in radio! I remember meeting The Jacksons at Tavern on The Green in NYC when they announced the Victory Tour. It was so exciting for me because I was just beginning my radio career and this was one of many reasons I got in the game–the Music! Michael Jackson was the ultimate entertainer and music perfectionist. I look forward to continuing to play his music on the radio.–Terri Avery, Operations Manager/Program Director, CBS Radio (WBAV-FM/WPEG-FM), Charlotte, NC

————————————————–

Simply, Michael Jackson broke all the barriers: Radio, MTV and World appeal. He crossed over to mainstream white America like no artist ever did before him and hasn’t done since. Black radio was there from the beginning starting with the Jackson 5 phenomenon and we have followed Michael all the way.–Phil Michaels-Trueba, PD Cox UAC WHQT-FM (Hot 105), Miami, Florida

————————————————–

You couldn’t have chosen a better person to honor as Man of the Year…..MICHAEL JACKSON….I’ve been playing Michael’s music since 1972 and to this day WDIA is probably the one station in the country that plays at least three to four Michael Jackson/J5 songs a day. I know of no other performer who did it on record and on stage as good as Michael did it. My wife and I saw Michael Jackson in 1987 at Madison Square Garden. That was the first and only time I saw Michael perform live. Michael was the thriller……he was bad and you know it.—Bobby O’Jay, PD and morning show host, Clear Channel UAC WDIA-AM (1070), the heart and soul of Memphis, Tennessee

————————————————–

I was press director for the Bad tour. Michael Jackson was simply the greatest performer ever. And as great as he was as a performer, he was an even better human being.–Michael Mitchell, Tour Press Director Bad Tour, currently Vice President Marketing and Strategic Partnerships New Product Development, TIME LIFE, Fairfax, Virginia

————————————————–

Anytime you see MJ live it’s a treat. But I was in the audience at Motown 25. It was the first time the brothers had performed together in years. Then MJ did his solo dance number with the moonwalk. What an entertainer, what a night! –Tim Watts, PD Radio One UAC WWIN-FM (Magic 95.9) Baltimore, Maryland

————————————————–

The measure of a man is what he gives back. Through all of Michael Jackson’s endeavors he was the ultimate humanitarian.–Joe Gorham, Music Director Howard University UAC WHUR-FM (WORLD 96.3/HD2), Washington, D.C.

————————————————–

After seeing two of Prince’s incredible shows over the weekend I couldn’t help thinking what life would be like had MJ been able to make the comeback we saw glimpses of in the rehearsal footage. Aside from Prince and a few others who live on, we’re quickly running low on the art of putting on a show. One only has to spend 10 minutes watching any TV/cable awards show these days to know this. All the explosions, nakedness and poorly choreographed steps we see today couldn’t replace ONE of Michael’s “moonwalks.” All I can say is Michael, the WORLD misses you! Your time, dedication, sacrifice and financial support will never be forgotten. Your life itself was a gift to all of us!—Skip Dillard, PD Inner City Broadcasting UAC WBLS-FM (107.5), New York City

————————————————–

All praise to the Jackson Family! There has never been a family in the world who has achieved what they have. When we say Michael Jackson is the greatest, he has to have come from a great family, a caring mother and father who taught him skills.—Rev. Jesse Jackson

————————————————–

I’ve been very fortunate to work with some of the best, from Frank Sinatra to Elton John, Dylan to Garth Brooks…and, then there was Michael. Mike was more fun than Barnum and Bailey, exciting, incredibly smart, with unbelievable and unequaled gifts. There is no doubt he was the greatest entertainer of all time.—Norman Winter, More Than the Norm

————————————————–

The thing I admired most about Michael was what a hard worker he was. He was a perfectionist who gave his all to whatever he did, writing, dancing or singing. I remember reading that he was so concerned, almost obsessed, with Prince’s success and it always drove him to do better. We all need something that drives us and pushes us into staying on top of our game, no matter what it is. Michael worked so hard that he’s still making money even though he’s no longer with us! He only wanted us to have his best.—Tom Joyner, host of the nationally syndicated “Tom Joyner Morning Show,” founder of REACH Media, Inc, the Tom Joyner Foundation and BlackAmericaWeb.com

————————————————–

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael Jackson a few years ago at BET CEO Debra Lee’s home. Down to earth. That sums him up, and he deserves every accolade bestowed upon him!—Rosalind R. Ray, Esq, Co-Manager The O’Jays

————————————————–

I remember in 1975 as a “lil girl” I won a Jackson 5 ‘45 from the legendary AM 850 WRAP in Norfolk, Virginia. OMG! Still today I can recall my excitement. At the time Michael Jackson had all the potential to be a musical genius–a star in the making. He became that and more and I will always treasure the fact that from the beginning I would live to see the entire legacy of this musical genus as a fan and professional. The world has not yet grasped the true loss of this icon. With his solid encore performances in “Michael,” we get to hear musically what was on Michael’s heart and the message that he wanted to give the world. His trademark sound is heard throughout the project, but I wonder what it would’ve sounded like if it had Michael’s final touches on it, a promotional tour to see this giant at his best with his signature style and dance performances… we can only dream, but thank God I have an archive of music and memories to last me a life time. Kudos to BRE for selecting Michael Jackson The Man of the Year…he is the only choice.—Frankie Darcell, syndicated host of the “Mid-Day Mix” and “Sunday Morning Talk of the Town” on WMXD-FM (Mix 92.3) in Detroit, Michigan

————————————————–

On the occasions that I talked with Michael, I found him to be very attentive, a very good listener, and he was very much in control of that group even though he was the youngest member. He knew his place on stage, and as quiet as he seemed to be with his soft-spoken voice, when he was on stage, he was in command…There was something about him that was attractive. He had two decades of greatness, and it’s easy to see that staying power was not going away. When he walked into a room, even CEOs of major companies acted like groupies, running to the stage, doing everything they could to get autographs. His persona was gigantic, and his talent matched that. Michael’s music is his legacy…–“Super” Jay Johnson, ABC/Citadel Media, Dallas, Texas

————————————————–

When I first met Michael Jackson, he was 10 years old. A friend of mine, Mavis Staples of the world-famous Staples Singers, introduced me and said, “You are not going to believe this.” She was right…I was knocked off my feet. Without a shadow of doubt, Michael Jackson was the greatest entertainer ever to grace the face of this earth. The pop culture world is measured by this man—a man who had a good and kind soul. During one of the tours, he wanted to visit Haiti. When we arrived, it was a cultural shock for all of us, but to see the hurt on Michael’s face—at these poverty-stricken people—it was devastating to him. He was real quiet all the way back.

I have been very fortunate to be raised with James Brown, to work with Elvis Presley and to know Michael Jackson. It just don’t get no better than this, to know Michael Jackson—the man, the pioneer, the humanitarian. There are so many who owe this man so much.—Lonnell “King Ro” Conley, Announcer and Blues Director Jazz City Radio

————————————————–

Michael should be the Man of Every Year! He was truly a nice person who put his everything into everything he did. He was more gifted than anyone I’ve ever known.—Ron Isley

————————————————–

Michael has always had a big heart. One time he came to Atlanta at the request of me and then President Jimmy Carter and his appearance enabled us to immunize some 37,000 pre-school kids. He was phenomenal.—former UN Ambassador and Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young

————————————————–

Some people spend their lives loving Michael as a fan.

Some people fulfill their life’s dream working with Michael as a colleague.

Some people were blessed to know Michael as a friend.

I have experienced all three and my life is enriched because of it.

There are a million beautiful and personal memories of Michael worth more than the most precious thing the world has to offer.

I will cherish those memories forever. –Greg Phillinganes, musician, artist

————————————————–

Though it ended way too soon, Michael’s life was beautiful. Sure there were some sad times, but Michael Jackson accomplished everything he dreamed of.

My memories of Michael are of a 10-year old, whose passion was to be the greatest entertainer in the world and he was willing to work as hard and do whatever it took to become what he indeed became—the undisputed “King of Pop” the world over. What kid wouldn’t give his right arm to fulfill his wildest childhood dreams? Michael loved it all…every moment on stage, every moment in rehearsal. Michael loved creating what had never been done before. He loved everything and everybody. Especially his fans. Off stage Michael was shy, soft-spoken and child-like. But when he took that stage in front of his screaming fans, he turned into another person, a master, a “take no prisoners” showman. It was kill or be killed. I mean, Michael was awesome!!! Totally in charge. In fact, the more I remember and talk about Michael Jackson, the more I feel the “King of Pop” is not big enough for him. I think he is simply the greatest entertainer that ever lived.–Berry Gordy, Founder of Motown

————————————————–

Michael was truly the greatest performer. When he hit that zone, no one could touch him. I remember him doing three shows in a row and Justin Timberlake was supposed to join him onstage, but when Justin came out, he just froze and Michael was poppin’! Awesome! He didn’t need the special effects or anything else; he was the real performer.

And you could see him going into that spiritual zone backstage when he was getting ready for a show. He was always calm, relaxed, smooth. He would do his own makeup and take a few minutes alone in his dressing room where he had a picture of The Three Stooges that he liked on the wall. Then he would very calmly emerge and just blow the audience away. Even in Japan on his comeback tour when he was a little nervous about how people felt about him then, he always had the utmost professionalism and was always on time, and again, just blew them away.

I’ve had the opportunity to talk with people like Nelson Mandela and Oprah Winfrey, but the relationship with Michael was very special. Every time I left him, I’d be sad seeing him standing on the porch waving good-bye. He was always so welcoming, so hospitable. He was never about selfishness or harming anyone. He was always about trying to be closer to God, to be Christ-like. He loved more than he was loved and was always trying to get closer to God, to do the right thing even though it wasn’t always what he wanted to do. And whenever he was tested, he looked for his strength within, from bringing God into his body and putting him first in his life. Michael was really very spiritual and put God in control of his life.

He was truly blessed by God.

Japan has more orphanages than any place in the world and Michael wanted to do something for them while he was there so we picked one to visit that just so happened to be supported by Bill and Melinda Gates. Michael would arrive with no publicity and with multiple toys for each child. His own kids would go with him and he would be educating them as to what was going on. The kids were delighted, but Michael would also take the time to personally shake the hands of each of the nuns at the orphanage thanking each of them for taking care of the children <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> .

And people just melted around him. One time when he was taking his kids to Disneyland, word had gotten out that he was coming and everyone knew his favorite ride was Peter Pan, so there was gridlock by the time he arrived. But he just held his hands up and the crowd opened up like parting the Red Sea. Then he would watch the parade from the Main Street rooftop and eat hot dogs and French fries with his kids. I thank God everyday that I was graced by this angel and am reminded even moreso that we can’t take our time here for granted. There is no tomorrow promised and you’ve gotta let people know you love them. That’s what Michael was about.—Qadree El-Amin, Southpaw Entertainment

OMG why this Hoax has to be so hard?????? WHY??? <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

LOVE

Comments

• I can still remember the first time I saw the Jacksons on the “Ed Sullivan Show.” I said to my brother, “This little kid Michael cannot be from this planet!—Doc Wynter, Clear Channel Sr. VP Urban Programming.

I can relate somehow with this person. I remember I was 7 yrs old, and I was watching the Ed Sullivan show with my mother. Here comes this child who was 8 yrs old and rocked the place. I remember my mother's words." You see this young boy Michael is your age, look at him he is already working and making money. You are only thinking of playing with your barbies." I was a child come on.. Ok so Michael has inspired me, I did not have a good voice to sing, but I decided to play the piano. I still do, I have done some concerts when I was younger, and my mom was proud. I did not make millions like Michael did, he is unique in this world. I am happy my sister was blessed with a beautiful voice, she sings like Celine Dion, it is a shame she did not launch her career as a singer she would have made it big. I know. She does sing, with a band, at weddings, or engagements. She is content that way. Just to say that this young boy, who is now a wonderful, beautiful man has guided me and my sister into music. God bless Michael. Love you very much and I hope you will come back to us soon.