MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

TheRunningGirlTheRunningGirl Posts: 777
edited January 1970 in News
3/31/2011 11:40 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

033111-american-idol-video-credit.jpg

If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111-pepsi-splash-video-credit.jpg

A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

See also
Director -- Jackson's Burns Weren't My Fault
Fire Capt. Blames Director For Jackson's Burns
MJ's Explosive Pepsi Shoot Video -- 25 Years Later

Tags: Michael Jackson, Celebrity Justice, Conrad Murray, American Idol 2011, American Idol

Reference: http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/31/michael-jackson-pepsi-commercial-american-idol-james-durbin-family-reaction/
Reference - Video 1: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=53a079dd-5c99-4e8d-8cdf-57f3d7882d78
Reference - Video 2: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=c6a821c8-96d4-4ed3-9369-3dd4be0c2233

Comments

• fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    I guess TMZ didn't get their POINT across enough because I see they've ADDED THE VIDEO of Michael's Pepsi accident to the article that WAS NOT..NOT on there when the posted it!!!! Okay, they want to slam home something don't they to add this!!!
  • YuliaYulia Posts: 122
    They added the video with Michael afterwards. I saw when they posted the article first.
  • Okay, this is strange. I follow James Durbin (@JDurbinAI10) on twitter, and I don't see that tweet anywhere. He could have deleted it, but why?
  • Too soon to talk about MJs passing... Indeed.

Poor James- I hope he knows he didn't do anything wrong. I know this is a TMZ attention grabber- b/c there is so much Michael disrespect out there, but this was not disrespectful!
  • 3 things come to mind when reading this latest TMZ article:

1. MJ related American Idol articles!
    What is TMZ trying to tell us?
    We had:
    --> Another 'idol' Player Jumps Ship for Jay on 5/27/10
    --> La Toya wants to replace Simon Cowell on 1/18/10
    --> "American Idol" Finalists Judge Lawyers on 2/23/11 (See the reference to Coca-Cola, Sony and The Eagles)
    --> 'Idol' Finalists: The Haunted Mansion Wasn't Haunted!
    --> 'Ghost' Crew -- We NEED to Investigate 'Idol' Mansion!
    --> Demi Lovato -- I've SEEN A GHOST!!!!!!! | TMZ.com
    --> 'American Idol' Contestants Flee -- HAUNTED Mansion!

See related video below for further information on those articles:
    [youtube:2b3kahpa]

2. The Pepsi Accident
    We know that the Pepsi accident happened on the 27th January 1984
    29th August 1958 to 26th January 1984 --> 9282 days --> 9+2+8+2 = 21 --> 21 = 7+7+7 --> 777
    27th January 1984 to 25th June 2009 --> 9282 days --> 9+2+8+2 = 21 --> 21 = 7+7+7 --> 777
    We know that the numbers are of relevance to the Hoax!
    The words used in the TMZ article are "Pepsi moment", it is a rather interesting choice of words! It does not really relate to an accident but to a much more light hearted event, " OOOPs! I just had an "Old Man" moment!" <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

3. "...It's nothing to make light of"
    For some reasons (That may include having been a beLIEver for too long!) when I read the sentence "It's nothing to make light of", I see the word LIGHT and I think of LIGHT MAN and LIGHT MAN (Michael) being the one who will bring us LIGHT when he returns.

With L.O.V.E
    Too soon to talk about MJs passing... Indeed.

Poor James- I hope he knows he didn't do anything wrong. I know this is a TMZ attention grabber- b/c there is so much Michael disrespect out there, but this was not disrespectful!

what are you talking about?
  • Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..."

This phrase: “I guess youll take it how you want it..." that’s just the point!, I mean the media can make or break you. The power of the media how the news is shown to us, e.g. the Pepsi commercial video, which is attached afterwards (great catch Yulia).
  • scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

I like this tweet.
    Michael Jackson's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

I really don't like this comment. <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
    @scorpionchik, don't be sad... although I understand you. It's hard.. too hard
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    So it seems like the comment on AI was a set-up! This hoax is so under control.
    In Canada we refer to it (Pepsi moment) as, "having a senior moment."
  • pepperpepper Posts: 558
    The only "SOURCE" for this information that the Jackson family is offended by this, is TMZ. Even ABC.com is reporting it, with their source as TMZ!

<!-- m -->http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-2 ... 91698.html<!-- m -->

Why would the family get so upset about this, when I don't remember anyone even commenting about this exchange between Larry King and Craig Ferguson on Larry King Live, October 13, 2009! (Barely a month after MJ was "buried")

<!-- m -->http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... kl.01.html<!-- m -->

L. KING: What do you make of the whole Michael Jackson thing?

He's still dead, by the way.

FERGUSON: Yes, I -- well, in what way do I make of the Michael Jackson thing?

L. KING: The whole furor.

FERGUSON: I -- oh, boy, isn't that something?

(LAUGHTER)

L. KING: Good line.

Disrespectful stuff is being said all the time. Why would they pick this one comment from "American Idol" to respond to?

This is just another thing keeping "Michael Jackson" in the news.
    <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • Too soon to talk about MJs passing... Indeed.

what are you talking about?

That was what James Durbin said in his tweet (that it was too soon to talk about MJ's passing).
  • MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111-pepsi-splash-video-credit.jpg

A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

See also
    Director -- Jackson's Burns Weren't My Fault
    Fire Capt. Blames Director For Jackson's Burns
    MJ's Explosive Pepsi Shoot Video -- 25 Years Later

Tags: Michael Jackson, Celebrity Justice, Conrad Murray, American Idol 2011, American Idol

Reference: http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/31/michael-jackson-pepsi-commercial-american-idol-james-durbin-family-reaction/
    Reference - Video 1: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=53a079dd-5c99-4e8d-8cdf-57f3d7882d78
    Reference - Video 2: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=c6a821c8-96d4-4ed3-9369-3dd4be0c2233

TheRunningGirl!!!!!!! It's good to see you posting again <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Thank you for sharing this information. I watched AI last night and I didn't see anything offensive about it and I get offended ALOT at what people say in regards to MJ.

It was obvious he wasn't poking fun at MJ and I highly doubt that the family was as offended as it was being made out to be. There has to be more to this (once again).

On a side note, what struck me last night is how, after 25 years, that one incident (Pepsi accident) is still so well known that one phrase identifies it.

I agree with what everyone has said. Pepper - I'm looking forward to spending time going through what you posted. Blessings.
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    TMZ has done worse and the family never said anything <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    FRONT PAGE YAHOO NEWS: (BIG ARTICLE.. I'm just posting the link so you can catch the nasty comments if you want to. I didn't read them.

Was James Durbin's "Pepsi Moment" In Bad Taste?
    <!-- m -->http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realit ... bad-taste/<!-- m -->
  • so now the family is saying he for sure had a drug addiction? or is someone else saying it. wonder who this family representation is?
  • Is it me or does it look like there's a face {{in pixels}} in the bottom left (above the word "Fan", under the second white line)?

To me, it look like Michael from the cover "Invincible".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlTJ8nBXfcvYCUsVZn0FmnK4teKtIYVYnEuneHtniGY8vON8-z
  • seems like there are faces everywhere <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Come on. What on earth is that. James is such a nice young man, MJ family gets upset on people they are not suppose to be upset. People who do wrong they are not upset on them Wow what a upside down family. James never said Michael, he said Pepsi.. I hope he will not get his moral down, he is doing so well. James go James.
  • I'm sorry....it was a stupid comment, he shouldn't have said it, and he should have just apologized. It would be like him having a meltdown on stage and saying, "Oh, I was having a Japan nuclear reactor moment." Making fun of a horendous situation involving other human beings, even if your comments aren't directed at the person, is tasteless and rude. James might be a great guy, but his comment was insensitive. IMHO.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Mmmhm.

They really want us to see that footage

over

and over

and over again.

Someone wants us not just to be reminded of the Pepsi "moment", but for us to see the tape of the Pepsi "mOMENT".
    "Time is the checkmate of life. Forever spinning in this globe cast of many different elements, there comes a tIME when time itself takes a backseat to the mOMENT. We, as intelligent beings, decipher and chose when to allow the moment to suspend time. As with the Killuminatti, iN tHEORY, 72 hours previous the logic of a mOment etched within a 7 day theory, is possible, but only tIme will tell.Some things aren't meant for easy translation. But over tIme, it's possible to clearly see the light, if the mOment warrants."
    -back, MJJC 8/25/2006

"The mOMENT of many is apparent as time has become the focal point. Time is obsolete compared to the mOMENT, but it is essentially the only barrier between NOW and THEN."
    -back, MJJC 10/25/2006

This tape is very important.
  • FRONT PAGE YAHOO NEWS: (BIG ARTICLE.. I'm just posting the link so you can catch the nasty comments if you want to. I didn't read them.

Was James Durbin's "Pepsi Moment" In Bad Taste?
    <!-- m -->http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realit ... bad-taste/<!-- m -->

Hello fordtocarr!!!

I was there now,OMG what a nasty comments some people make <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> .These kind of comments are everywere on youtube,yahoo,TMZ,ETC.We have to understand that in this world are many tipe of people and we must accept that some of then don't feel Love for Michael.
    Now THE FAMOUS PEPSI ACCIDENT is mentioned again and I'm glad because it's something odd about that "incident".Many people said again and again,the Pepsi incident was not the motive that lead to "the addiction".NO ,NO and I believe that ,because is something else with this ,maybe a Hoax.We disscused this over and over again.Today after,job ,I have something to show you.A video from Brett Ratner's set movie Red Dragon, where that "accident" is mentioned by a man.I didn't noticed till now because I was to focused on the video,lol.I think this glimpses of videos are on youtube with a reason,because this is not the first time I noticed .You know like a puzzle pieces from something bigger.GLIMPSES AND FLASESH,like Kenny Ortega said in THIS IS IT <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) --> .

LOVE
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    I don't think that guy said that to disrespect Michael.
    He just wanted to be funny but he just managed to say something innappropiate.
    TMZ has done worse and the family never said anything <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

Right. For example:

<!-- m -->http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/17/michael-j ... -in-peace/<!-- m -->

or this:

<!-- m -->http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/04/michael-j ... -unmasked/<!-- m -->

or this:

<!-- m -->http://www.tmz.com/2009/03/24/jacko-fac ... -kid-blue/<!-- m -->

and family said nothing <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

We know that the Pepsi accident happened on the 27th January 1984
    29th August 1958 to 26th January 1984 --> 9282 days --> 9+2+8+2 = 21 --> 21 = 7+7+7 --> 777
    27th January 1984 to 25th June 2009 --> 9282 days --> 9+2+8+2 = 21 --> 21 = 7+7+7 --> 777

I had to do the calculations myself because it is just incredible