Jermaine Jackson Does Tribute Show in MJ's Honor

paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
edited January 1970 in News

6/25/2011 1:00 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

To celebrate the life of his beloved brother Michael Jackson, last night Jermaine Jackson performed a tribute show at the 12th International Indian Film Academy festivities in Toronto.

0625-jermaine-jackson-wenn-credit.jpg

Because when you think back on the life of The King of Pop ... you immediately think of the International Indian Film Academy.

See also
Jermaine Jackson -- I'm NO LONGER a Deadbeat Dad
Dr. Murray Will NEVER Cop a Plea in MJ Death
Michael Jackson's Death -- Two Years Later
Fan Buys Michael Jackson's Vegas Home | TMZ.com

<!-- m -->http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/25/michael-j ... ert-photo/<!-- m -->

Comments

• paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    Michael Jackson honoured at International Indian Film Academy concert
    By Melissa Leong, National Pos June 23, 2011

4995821.bin

Bollywood singer Sanu Nigam (right) acknowledges US singer/actor Jermaine Jackson during an introductory press conference on June 23,ahead of the 2011 International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards in Toronto. Both singers annouced they will perform at a concert together in North America.
    Photograph by: JEWEL SAMAD, AFP/Getty Images

When they were young, the Jackson brothers watched Bollywood films every Saturday morning.

“We were watching you from Day One as we were on the journey to becoming The Jackson 5,” Jermaine Jackson told a press conference Thursday to kick off celebrations for the International Indian Film Academy Awards in Toronto. “We loved the dance, the costumes, the entertainment, the set design — that’s what inspired us a great deal.”

Jackson will honour his late brother, Michael, the King of Pop, at the charity concert IIFA Rocks on Friday.

“Michael loved India so much. … We love the food, we love the people, we love the music, we love the clothing — everything. It’s an honour to be here,” he told reporters.

Jackson said he will perform his brother’s hits, such as Scream, Can You Feel It and Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’, as well as singing with Indian pop singer Sonu Nigam.

Bollywood’s biggest names congregated on a stage at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel in downtown Toronto to welcome guests and thank their hosts and sponsors. Luminaries included actors Anil Kapoor, who played the game show host in the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire, and Anupam Kher, who many will recognize as the strict father in the soccer movie Bend It Like Beckham.

“It’s wonderful to be here,” said veteran Bollywood director-producer Subhash Ghai. “I remember 30 years back, I came to Canada where somebody asked [about] me. I said, ‘I’m an Indian filmmaker.’ He asked me, ‘Where is India?’ Now, I’m glad that everyone knows India through cinema.”

The three-day IIFA festivities are expected to draw 40,000 guests to its events, including the world premiere of the comedy Double Dhamaal Thursday night and the glitzy Floriana IIFA Awards gala Saturday. Tickets for the awards night at the Rogers Centre were sold out in eight minutes. In addition to the 22,000 live spectators, about 700 million viewers will tune into the show worldwide.

“We’re home to the world’s second largest community of Indians living outside of India and their passion for Indian cinema has become ours too,” Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said. “By the end of [the IIFA celebrations], you’ll know the names of Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra and Anil Kapoor just as well as Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp and Rachel McAdams.”

McGuinty told the hundreds of international journalists assembled in the ballroom about his last visit t0 Mumbai when IIFA announced that Toronto would be the first city in North America to host the event. “I found myself surrounded by dozens of photographers … the camera flashes in my face were mesmerizing, overwhelming, intoxicating, lovely — until one of the photographers said to me, ‘Sir, you’re ruining my shot of Celina Jaitley.’ ”

Someone later told him that he was recognized in India because of a photograph of him hugging Kapoor. “I said, ‘Anil, there’s an election coming up in the fall. I already have a slogan: ‘I’m with Kapoor.’ ”

National Post

<!-- m -->http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html<!-- m -->