Official New Forum Questions, Problems & Suggestions Thread

Comments

• scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
    I AM GONNA BE THE BAD GIRL HERE, BUT I DON'T LIKE THIS NEW SITE AT ALL. BUT AS EVERYBODY ELSE, I WILL GET USED TO IT AND THANKS FOR THE EFFORTS TO MAKE IT BETTER.  ;D    BTW, HOW WE CAN MODIGFY PERSONAL SETTINGS. I KINDA CAN'T DO IT ON THIS SITE.  ::)
  • scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
    Suggestion, once we get used this one, don't change it. I can't take it anymore.. I hardly take Michael's absence. Thank you
  • on 1311464624:
    <br />You know what it is guys? I can never do it the right way for all of you. Some want it all, and that simply can't be done. I agree that the old board looks better (still), but it had problems that you couldn't see. It was slowing down the database in a way no one could explain, since the server is fast as hell. It was hacked before and lately I had trouble getting into the admin panel, the mods and myself were unable to edit or delete posts and I did not rust the installation anymore, that is why I decided to move it to another software program as soon as possible. The old board is still working, but I will lock it as an archive.<br /><br />It took me 12 hours to convert all the posts to the new software and I have a 40 hour a week job, plus I am trying to start a business. My time is limited, but I already opened this forum so that you all would be able to keep up again and post. The lay-out is really not on my priority list, I first want the errors fixed. During a conversion it might be that some things get fucked up, because you are dealing with 2 different software programs. That is why the pm's might not display as they should. I will be able to fix some things, but it might also be possible that we just have to find out some tricks for other things.<br /><br />This is a fisrt install. All I did was change the menu, added a logo and imported the converted posts. I simply did not have time yet for other things. Main concern was to get it up and running. You can whine about the lay-out or the functions that are different on here, but I remember members reacted the same when I locked MJKIT and opened the previous board. You will get used to it if you would only try. But seriously, the last thing I can use at the moment is complaints about the lay-out. What do you want? a nice looking forum that is slow and might get deleted any minute, or a less nice looking one that is a shit ton faster and secured? You tell me. Also, for your information: I worked three days on the lay-out of the previous board, so believe me, I wish I could have converted it too, but I can't. I have to deal with that. When I have more time on my hands, I might work on a new theme for this one, but not now. For now, just post the actual problems you are experiencing (like that log out button that I will fix) or any other problems. I will update you in this thread, so I will make this a sticky. <br /><br />For now, to answer some questions on here or in pm:<br /><br />IP addresses can only be seen by yourself, me and the mods. Same goes for email addresses, but you can to change your profile settings yourself if you want to hide it. Maybe I can set it as default, but I have to get used to the new admin board too, so bear with me. If you don't want it to be seen by others, change it.<br /><br />Lay-out: see above<br /><br />Recent posts, first unread post: I will probably have to install a module for that. I have more modules I have to add, like the ability to post YouTubes etc, so I will see what I can do, but please be patient. Although some might think differently, I really am just 1 person, with only 24 hours in a day, a job and also sort of a social life.<br /><br />Log-out funvtion: will fix that later on. It is indeed as mentioned on MJ's head in the logo for now.<br /><br />Attachments seem to be not working, will check that out. Might be set to disabled. If so, I will have to see if I will enable it, because attachments are slowing down a server when there are that many as on the old board. There are other ways to post an image, maybe we can open a photogallery where everyone can upload their attachments to post them on here. I will think about that.<br /><br />PM's: You should be able to send and receive new ones. The old ones are (just like the posts up until July 22) still on the old board. When I have enabled the board again, you will be able to view them there. The old board can be found in the menu on top under archives.<br /><br />@bec: it seems that you are the only one with that 2-posts-problem. I will message you on msn.<br /><br />That said I have to say that although it might need some time and work, this forum is very user friendly and I have found some very nice features that can be added. I will all have to check them out still, but when everything is installed and working, I will make a post about how to use the forum and the features. All I need is some time and patience.<br /><br />My request:<br /><br />If you see posts that look strange (bb-codes fucked up like images or links, huge fonts etc, report the post to moderator and I will fix it. Also, use this thread for actual problems you experience as in functions, not lay-out. Lastly, suggestions are always welcome, but I am not superwoman and we are dealing with a free software program, which means that we can't have it all and most of all, it's impossible to please everyone. After the complaints about the previous board back in November 2009, I think we can all get used to this one as well. And I even think that in the end, most will be more happy with this one.<br />
    <br /><br />Souza, you are right you cannot please everyone, we all gave suggestions so it would make it easier for all of us. Sometimes suggestions are limited, I understand that. I would like to congratulate you for opening a business. I wish you the best of luck. Blessings.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Ps. Still having problems with Firefox. It loads fine on Safari but Firefox is a no go. If I clear my cache and cookies I can load one page. Any additional page has the same only loading 2 replies and never the rest of the page issue.<br /><br />I ran Adaware and uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox. No luck.<br /><br />Perhaps it's a sign that I need a new hobby.
  • suspicious mindsuspicious mind Posts: 5,984
    on 1311469411:
    <br />
    on 1311466576:
    <br />First problem fixed: logout function.<br />
    <br /><br />just logged back in to give you a great big  :-* for getting the logout done. <br />thanks souza .<br />by the way guys in all the rooting around i bet there are topics that could be looked at again in association with new info. ;D<br />
    <br /><br />ok souza was it something i said?  i will take back the  :-* if you put back the log out button  ;)
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    Souza, I'm sure this is a huge job for you so I'm also sure you wouldn't have undertaken it without good reason. I really don't want to be negative about what you've done, but to be honest I don't understand why you felt the need for such an enormous change, that initial impressions lead me to think is not for the better.<br /><br />As others have said, it's a maze, whereas the old style, that you'd already done a great job on, was 'a-maze-ing'!<br /><br />If there are still further changes to be made here please can I put a call out for the old 'View New Posts' button, the little red 'go to first new post' button and a 'Logout' button.<br /><br />On the plus side, I got loads of gardening done yesterday!
  • MJFAN7MJFAN7 Posts: 3,063
    Oh, that timer at the top shows your total online time all together?<br />This should be interesting. Hahaha
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    on 1311488128:
    <br />Souza, I'm sure this is a huge job for you so I'm also sure you wouldn't have undertaken it without good reason. I really don't want to be negative about what you've done, but to be honest I don't understand why you felt the need for such an enormous change, that initial impressions lead me to think is not for the better.<br /><br />As others have said, it's a maze, whereas the old style, that you'd already done a great job on, was 'a-maze-ing'!<br /><br />If there are still further changes to be made here please can I put a call out for the old 'View New Posts' button, the little red 'go to first new post' button and a 'Logout' button.<br /><br />On the plus side, I got loads of gardening done yesterday!<br />
    <br /><br />Sorry Souza, ignore what I just said!  I've found 'View Unread' and found the new thread about suggestions etc for this new forum.  Many answers to my questions there. Thanks!
  • I leave for a few days, and then I come back and my home has disappeared. I will honestly try to look at this as a huge opportunity for our forum to grow and become better, and try to keep moving forward grateful, that at least we have a forum, and at least we have an administrator who actually cares enough to continually try to make our beloved forum the best it can be. But man, I miss our old forum. I really do, everything was so neat and welcoming, it felt like home.  I understand that this new one isn't all the way here yet, there is still a lot of work to be done and I am grateful for Souza that she is working on it. But I'm saddened that we had to move, but that is all I'm going to say, I will keep moving forward, because that is the best thing to do. What is done is done. Now lets jump on this new forum with excitement and happiness. Now my signature picture didn't come through, and some html stuff didn't either also on my signature. I can't seem to figure out how to edit my signature to fix it. Help, please? Thanks very much!
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    In the first few days I missed the old forum terribly, and felt like everything was going to fall apart. But I am getting used to this new place, because I love the family here, regardless of the building. Because I don't know the whole situation on the troubles Souza had and forsaw with the old one, I hope that you Souza are also happier with this new one. So thank you for your devotion to this place and group, since you really didn't have to care at all. My worst fear is it vanishing altogether, so if this site is more secure I'm all for it. [size=14pt] I hope everyone comes back here, and jumps in the discussions with their insights and thoughts to make this place lively and the number 1 MJ-hoax site once again! [/size]     Nice that TS and Front have taken note of it!<br /><br />I'd glad to see the "new posts" back up there. Is it possible to have it at the bottom of the page as well?<br />You said the video posting would be coming soon I think, I hope.<br />Also just wondering if our posts will always be in these boxes that have to sometimes be moved this way and that to see all of it?<br /><br />Thanks again! :)<br /><br /><br />
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    on 1311485130:
    <br />
    on 1311469411:
    <br />
    on 1311466576:
    <br /><br />just logged back in to give you a great big  :-* for getting the logout done. <br />thanks souza .<br />by the way guys in all the rooting around i bet there are topics that could be looked at again in association with new info. ;D<br />
    <br /><br />ok souza was it something i said?  i will take back the  :-* if you put back the log out button  ;)<br />
    <br /><br />lol... Sorry, I miscounted. It's back now.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• starchildstarchild Posts: 374
    on 1311497748:
    <br />In the first few days I missed the old forum terribly, and felt like everything was going to fall apart. But I am getting used to this new place, because I love the family here, regardless of the building. Because I don't know the whole situation on the troubles Souza had and forsaw with the old one, I hope that you Souza are also happier with this new one. So thank you for your devotion to this place and group, since you really didn't have to care at all. My worst fear is it vanishing altogether, so if this site is more secure I'm all for it. I hope everyone comes back here, and jumps in the discussions with their insights and thoughts to make this place lively and the number 1 MJ-hoax site once again!   Nice that TS and Front have taken note of it!<br /><br />I'd glad to see the "new posts" back up there. Is it possible to have it at the bottom of the page as well?<br />You said the video posting would be coming soon I think, I hope.<br />Also just wondering if our posts will always be in these boxes that have to sometimes be moved this way and that to see all of it?<br /><br />Thanks again! :) <br />
    <br /> <br />Ditto!  ;D
    on 1311511880:
    <br />
    on 1311485130:
    <br />
    on 1311469411:
    <br />
    on 1311466576:
    <br /><br />ok souza was it something i said?  i will take back the  :-* if you put back the log out button  ;)<br />
    <br /><br />lol... Sorry, I miscounted. It's back now.<br />
    <br /><br />just in case no one else has mentioned it i [size=24pt]love[/size] the go up and go down buttons . those are keepers in  my book.
  • aimeeaimee Posts: 6
    Sorry, I think I need spectacles. The letters are so small now and the whole forum site is not so clear as the old one. It is all a bit tangled. I also could not click on an old video I wanted to see. Hope things get better or the old one gets back.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    @Grace who PMed me, thanks for trying to help, I did follow the suggestions on the link you provided and uninstalled and reinstalled 3.6 version Firefox but there's no change. I cannot view the forum with Firefox, period. I couldn't even view your PM on the board (only via the alert email I got) and I cannot reply to your PM either.<br /><br />I'm really pretty annoyed and pissed. I appreciate your help and I appreciate everything that Souza does and I know this change was necessary for the future of the forum, not for my own personal convenience. Full respect and appreciation for you Souza as without you our playground and our mission would be unrealized.<br /><br />But it fucking SUCKS that I have to use a completely different shitty browser for only this site. Every other site gives me no trouble. I feel like throwing the PC out the window. I feel like whining and bitching and bemoaning my troubles. I feel like a big baby. <br /><br />It also seems I am the only one with this problem.<br /><br />This same problem happened with the original MJHD.com for a time, back in the day when AMY was constantly trying to work out bugs n hacks and all that jazz. I could only view the top 2 replies then too, it's like if I have to scroll it doesn't exist. Weird and paranoia inducing.<br /><br />I'm glad, really, that I am the only one with the problem. If it was widespread we could kiss the hoax investigation goodbye. I can't imagine everyone is as addicted to the site as I am. I'll jump through hoops, even flaming ones, but ima bitch about it  argue/
  • simalvessimalves Posts: 730
    Hi @bec<;br /><br />Maybe you could increase your cache size.<br /><br />Here is a walkthrough for you.<br /><br />http://www.ceveni.com/2008/05/increase-mozilla-firefox-cache-size.html<br /><br />That might help you.
  • Sarah31Sarah31 Posts: 249
    The main problem I have is the layout - it's really hard to see where one post ends and the next one begins, which makes reading the posts quite hard. I hope you can change that in the future.<br /><br />For those having problems with the font size being too small, I don't know about other browsers, but in Firefox try "Ctrl +". Or go to "View" and "Zoom". You can change the font size yourself.
  • anewfananewfan Posts: 1,125
    I really want the view first unread post button. It is really annoying skimming through a thread to see where you left off.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    on 1311530310:
    <br />I really want the view first unread post button. It is really annoying skimming through a thread to see where you left off.<br />
    <br /> <br /> It is there!!!<br /> <br /> Unread thread link is under your profile welcome <br /> <br /> "Hello yyyyy, <br /> you have xxxx messages, xxx are new<br />  VIEW UNREAD - Replies - Own Posts.  <br /><br />As a result you get a list of all threads where you'll find unread posts (says "NEW") in the thread line.  <br /><br /><br />The unread post link is the tiny little button at right in the thread line - not the check box at the right end but beneath. <br />Click on that button, wait a second and you'll get directed to the first unread post in that thread.  <br /><br /><br />Blessings and patience to all!
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    on 1311525331:
    <br />@Grace who PMed me, thanks for trying to help, I did follow the suggestions on the link you provided and uninstalled and reinstalled 3.6 version Firefox but there's no change. I cannot view the forum with Firefox, period. I couldn't even view your PM on the board (only via the alert email I got) and I cannot reply to your PM either.<br />
    <br /><br />Bec, could you google for the issue please? <br />It could be an issue from your Firefox profile that is not properly working with other Firefox files. This is just a guess from what I checked so far. As I don't know your PC settings, I suggest you search the web to find the answer corresponding to your issues. The error / bug in general is being described by others as well.<br /><br />Hope you can get back on board soon without that frustrating situation.<br />Meanwhile I'm sending you these:<br /><br />MuffinHampers-Full.jpg<br />
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    I'm sure that we will all get used to this one. But to me 'View Active Posts' and 'New and Unread Posts' is a must like it was on the old forum. It's too hard to check out all the threads to find out where you posted before and to see the new posts. So that is what we need on this forum I think. The smileys can be add later when Souza have time. No urgency for them as well as the layout. No problem with the layout if you ask me actually. But it would be amazing if Souza can add this 'View Active Posts' 'View New and Unread Posts' stuff asap. Thank you for the great work Souza and keeping it safe for us all.  :-*<br /><br />@bec<;br /><br />Hope you can fix the problem soon girl. Love You and need you here.  :-*
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    I KNOW you want the same features of the old board and I am WORKING on them, please read my reply. Patience people. If you can wait 2 fucking years for Michael, then give me just a few days, ok? Please stop repeating that issue.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• anewfananewfan Posts: 1,125
    Thank you Grace! <br /><br />
    on 1311535173:
    <br />
    on 1311530310:
    <br />I really want the view first unread post button. It is really annoying skimming through a thread to see where you left off.<br />
    <br /> <br /> It is there!!!<br /> <br /> Unread thread link is under your profile welcome <br /> <br /> "Hello yyyyy, <br /> you have xxxx messages, xxx are new<br />  VIEW UNREAD - Replies - Own Posts.  <br /><br />As a result you get a list of all threads where you'll find unread posts (says "NEW") in the thread line.  <br /><br /><br />The unread post link is the tiny little button at right in the thread line - not the check box at the right end but beneath. <br />Click on that button, wait a second and you'll get directed to the first unread post in that thread.  <br /><br /><br />Blessings and patience to all!<br />
    on 1311538741:
    <br />I KNOW you want the same features of the old board and I am WORKING on them, please read my reply. Patience people. If you can wait 2 fucking years for Michael, then give me just a few days, ok? Please stop repeating that issue.<br />
    <br /><br /><br />of course you are right about this souza . it has only been two days with the new format. sorry for any sorrows i have been a part of. :-X
  • RKRK Posts: 3,019
    I'm starting to settle in and find my way around now.  :D
This discussion has been closed.