Jackson Family Divided Over MJ Tribute Concert

brunob12brunob12 Posts: 162
edited July 2011 in News
[size=14pt]Jackson Family Divided Over MJ Tribute Concert[/size]<br />8 minutes ago by TMZ Staff  <br /><br />Jermaine and Randy Jackson are DEAD SET against the Michael Jackson tribute concert announced today by members of the Jackson family ... calling it "inappropriate" and "ill-timed."<br /><br />0725-jacksons-bn-credit.jpg<br /><br />Katherine, La Toya, Jackie, Tito and Marlon all attended a press conference today to announce the show in Cardiff, Wales on October 8. Katherine said it would be a "world-class event."<br /><br />But Jermaine and Randy don't see it that way -- releasing their own statement against the concert, saying, "We find it impossible to support an event that is due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death ... We feel it is inappropriate to be involved with such an ill-timed event."<br /><br />As of now, tickets go on sale August 4. The family has not announced who will be performing at the show.<br /><br />
Bad timing?<br /><br />    65%Yes<br />    35%No<br /><br />Total Votes: 788

Comments

• likemikelikemike Posts: 105
    It's about time TMZ!!!  ;D
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    Well, it says they don't know yet who will be performing, yet they DO know what day to start selling tickets?  They want to grab an audience before people know who they are going to see?  Crazy.  I wouldn't go just to see anyone but Michael, because most of the rest of them are out there with a book or interview every few days.  Well, I'd go see Janet in concert...<br />It is weird though, that even Katherine is on board with this, and not Jermaine or Randy, during the trial.  Are they wanting to shift the focus to Michael's wonderful talents and all the world lost, seeing as the judge won't allow in his rehearsal performances?  Cuz, jury selection don't even begin til early Sept.<br />I'm surprised "show boat" Jermaine isn't on board though, I understand Randy, who has always taken a different view of the spotlight.<br />What do you all think of the timing of this...let alone the concert?  I'd sure love for it to be the bam!!  But, then, if I don't buy a ticket I'm sure not going to be happy....
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    What you are talking about Jermaine?, and when he makes his presentations and what it does is talk and sing songs by Michael, ..these assumptions conflicts is to be in the news argue/ ;D
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    Tweet Teddy<br />THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.<br />1:43 AM May 17th via web<br /><br />
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    on 1311639573:
    <br />Tweet Teddy<br />THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.<br />1:43 AM May 17th via web<br /><br /> />
    <br /><br /> ??? This is so interesting that Teddy made this tweet. That's when he rose from the dead and 8th of October.  :o Is this something about Jesus? Well, they will be selling the tickets in August but they still don't know who are going to be on that stage. That's weird. Randy and Jermaine don't agree with the rest of the family. Contradiction once again.  ::)
  • brunob12brunob12 Posts: 162
    It's interesting that Global Live is written 'Globalive' in the red curtain.
  • on 1311639573:
    <br />Tweet Teddy<br />THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.<br />1:43 AM May 17th via web<br /><br /> />
    <br /><br />Hmm...so far I can't seem to find anything significant about that date in history. That can't be a coincidence! Anyone have any clue what Teddy means?  Perhaps that's the day for the bam. Would make sense to have it be during the trial, but I still don't think anyone is going to give us the date ahead of time. But this is interesting...
  • taty_2crazytaty_2crazy Posts: 290
    Will this tribute take place? Hhhmmmm... well i think i need to be patient.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    on 1311683763:
    <br />It's interesting that Global Live is written 'Globalive' in the red curtain.<br />
    <br />That is interesting indeed. Perhaps their logo appearing as such is the reason they were chosen (unbeknown to them) to produce this faux-tribute.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    it's BAD timing...<br /><br />
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpIP2mlu5AsVgYf5KoaCcA_KO3hjqx0EcuV_-VTL_eiZldAOPA<br />
    <br />lol_cat-12926.jpg<br /><br /><br />
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    “The family has not announced who will be performing at the show.” (Maybe ahem--the man himself!)<br />“World-class event”<br />“due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death” (deliciously ironic!)<br />“ill-timed event” (MJ knows nothing about timing--things just randomly happen to him-haha)<br />Globalive  (global-alive) (red curtain)<br />TR – “THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.”<br />“Cardiff”<br /><br />Grace and Bec (maybe others) have posted in the past about this, but it just SO-O intrigues me. It's just plain witty, cheeky, funny, genius!!<br /><br />
    The Cardiff Giant was one of the most famous hoaxes in United States history. It was a 10-foot (3.0 m) tall purported "petrified man" uncovered on October 16, 1869 by workers digging a well behind the barn of William C. "Stub" Newell in Cardiff, New York. Both it and an unauthorized copy made by P.T. Barnum are still on display.<br /><snip><br /><br />The giant was the creation of a New York tobacconist named George Hull. Hull, an atheist, decided to create the giant after an argument at a Methodist revival meeting about the passage in Genesis 6:4 stating that there were giants who once lived on Earth.[1]<br /><br />The idea of a petrified man did not originate with Hull, however. In 1858 the newspaper Alta California had published a bogus letter claiming that a prospector had been petrified when he had drunk a liquid within a geode. Some other newspapers also had published stories of supposedly petrified people.[2]<br /><br />Hull hired men to carve out a 10-foot (3.0 m) long, 4.5-inch block of gypsum in Fort Dodge, Iowa, telling them it was intended for a monument to Abraham Lincoln in New York. He shipped the block to Chicago, where he hired a German stonecutter to carve it into the likeness of a man and swore him to secrecy.<br /><br />Various stains and acids were used to make the giant appear to be old and weathered, and the giant's surface was beaten with steel knitting needles embedded in a board to simulate pores. In November 1868 then Hull transported the giant by rail to the farm of William Newell, his cousin. By then, he had spent US$2,600 on the hoax.<br /><br />Nearly a year later, Newell hired Gideon Emmons and Henry Nichols, ostensibly to dig a well, and on October 16, 1869 they found the giant. One of the men reportedly exclaimed, "I declare, some old Indian has been buried here!"[2]<br /><br />Exhibition and exposure as fraud<br /><br />Newell set up a tent over the giant and charged 25 cents for people who wanted to see it. Two days later he increased the price to 50 cents.[2] People came by the wagon load.<br /><br />Archaeological scholars pronounced the giant a fake, and some geologists even noticed that there was no good reason to try to dig a well in the exact spot the giant had been found. Yale palaeontologist Othniel C. Marsh called it "a most decided humbug". Some Christian fundamentalists and preachers, however, defended its authenticity.[3]<br /><br />Eventually, Hull sold his part-interest for $23,000 to a syndicate of five men headed by David Hannum. They moved it to Syracuse, New York for exhibition. The giant drew such crowds that showman P. T. Barnum offered $50,000 for the giant. When the syndicate turned him down he hired a man to model the giant's shape covertly in wax and create a plaster replica. He put his giant on display in New York, claiming that his was the real giant and the Cardiff Giant was a fake.[2]<br /><br />As the newspapers reported Barnum's version of the story, David Hannum was quoted as saying, "There's a sucker born every minute" in reference to spectators paying to see Barnum's giant. Over time, the quotation has been misattributed to Barnum himself.<br /><br />Hannum sued Barnum for calling his giant a fake, but the judge told him to get his giant to swear on his own genuineness in court if he wanted a favorable injunction.[2]<br /><br />On December 10, Hull confessed to the press. On February 2, 1870 both giants were revealed as fakes in court. [size=14pt]The judge ruled that Barnum could not be sued for calling a fake giant a fake. [/size]
    <br /><br />Cardiff, Wales and Cardiff, New York. Is this a fake resurrection, getting the public and fans ready for the REAL  REAL  AUTHENTIC  fake resurrection of Michael Jackson?<br />
  • brunob12brunob12 Posts: 162
    on 1311692823:
    <br />
    on 1311639573:
    <br /><br />Hmm...so far I can't seem to find anything significant about that date in history. That can't be a coincidence! Anyone have any clue what Teddy means?  Perhaps that's the day for the bam. Would make sense to have it be during the trial, but I still don't think anyone is going to give us the date ahead of time. But this is interesting...<br />
    <br /><br />I don't think the bamsday would be announced. It's more Michael's style do it as a surprise, when nobody expects it, so that it's a real bam.<br /><br />Or else MJ is very angry at Teddy now, lol.
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    I think that bamsday will not be announced specifically as being bamsday per se but in a rather more subtle way like "world wide event" for example or another "tribute" so that we expect something without necessarily knowing that it is Michael's return... so there will still be the effect of surprise. I just think that it doesn't make sense otherwise because people will simply miss that day if it's not announced somehow...maybe not believers who come and check every hoax move LOL ... but the world at large. I'm not saying that this one is bamsday though, it seems more like the prelude of something else to come...maybe.
  • on 1311700734:
    <br />“The family has not announced who will be performing at the show.” (Maybe ahem--the man himself!)<br />“World-class event”<br />“due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death” (deliciously ironic!)<br />“ill-timed event” (MJ knows nothing about timing--things just randomly happen to him-haha)<br />Globalive  (global-alive) (red curtain)<br />TR – “THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.”<br />“Cardiff”<br /><br />Grace and Bec (maybe others) have posted in the past about this, but it just SO-O intrigues me. It's just plain witty, cheeky, funny, genius!!<br /><br />
    The Cardiff Giant was one of the most famous hoaxes in United States history. It was a 10-foot (3.0 m) tall purported "petrified man" uncovered on October 16, 1869 by workers digging a well behind the barn of William C. "Stub" Newell in Cardiff, New York. Both it and an unauthorized copy made by P.T. Barnum are still on display.<br /><snip><br /><br />The giant was the creation of a New York tobacconist named George Hull. Hull, an atheist, decided to create the giant after an argument at a Methodist revival meeting about the passage in Genesis 6:4 stating that there were giants who once lived on Earth.[1]<br /><br />The idea of a petrified man did not originate with Hull, however. In 1858 the newspaper Alta California had published a bogus letter claiming that a prospector had been petrified when he had drunk a liquid within a geode. Some other newspapers also had published stories of supposedly petrified people.[2]<br /><br />Hull hired men to carve out a 10-foot (3.0 m) long, 4.5-inch block of gypsum in Fort Dodge, Iowa, telling them it was intended for a monument to Abraham Lincoln in New York. He shipped the block to Chicago, where he hired a German stonecutter to carve it into the likeness of a man and swore him to secrecy.<br /><br />Various stains and acids were used to make the giant appear to be old and weathered, and the giant's surface was beaten with steel knitting needles embedded in a board to simulate pores. In November 1868 then Hull transported the giant by rail to the farm of William Newell, his cousin. By then, he had spent US$2,600 on the hoax.<br /><br />Nearly a year later, Newell hired Gideon Emmons and Henry Nichols, ostensibly to dig a well, and on October 16, 1869 they found the giant. One of the men reportedly exclaimed, "I declare, some old Indian has been buried here!"[2]<br /><br />Exhibition and exposure as fraud<br /><br />Newell set up a tent over the giant and charged 25 cents for people who wanted to see it. Two days later he increased the price to 50 cents.[2] People came by the wagon load.<br /><br />Archaeological scholars pronounced the giant a fake, and some geologists even noticed that there was no good reason to try to dig a well in the exact spot the giant had been found. Yale palaeontologist Othniel C. Marsh called it "a most decided humbug". Some Christian fundamentalists and preachers, however, defended its authenticity.[3]<br /><br />Eventually, Hull sold his part-interest for $23,000 to a syndicate of five men headed by David Hannum. They moved it to Syracuse, New York for exhibition. The giant drew such crowds that showman P. T. Barnum offered $50,000 for the giant. When the syndicate turned him down he hired a man to model the giant's shape covertly in wax and create a plaster replica. He put his giant on display in New York, claiming that his was the real giant and the Cardiff Giant was a fake.[2]<br /><br />As the newspapers reported Barnum's version of the story, David Hannum was quoted as saying, "There's a sucker born every minute" in reference to spectators paying to see Barnum's giant. Over time, the quotation has been misattributed to Barnum himself.<br /><br />Hannum sued Barnum for calling his giant a fake, but the judge told him to get his giant to swear on his own genuineness in court if he wanted a favorable injunction.[2]<br /><br />On December 10, Hull confessed to the press. On February 2, 1870 both giants were revealed as fakes in court. [size=14pt]The judge ruled that Barnum could not be sued for calling a fake giant a fake. [/size]
    <br /><br />Cardiff, Wales and Cardiff, New York. Is this a fake resurrection, getting the public and fans ready for the REAL  REAL  AUTHENTIC  fake resurrection of Michael Jackson?<br /><br />
    <br /><br />Genius!! Good catch on the Cardiff parallel. We all know how much MJ admired the work of PT Barnum. :D
  • suspicious mindsuspicious mind Posts: 5,984
    [size=10pt]surprises me that randy and jermaine are on the same page about this.  is janet totally out of the loop on this , anyone know?[/size]
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    on 1311706456:
    <br />
    on 1311700734:
    <br />“The family has not announced who will be performing at the show.” (Maybe ahem--the man himself!)<br />“World-class event”<br />“due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death” (deliciously ironic!)<br />“ill-timed event” (MJ knows nothing about timing--things just randomly happen to him-haha)<br />Globalive  (global-alive) (red curtain)<br />TR – “THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS DAY I WILL REMEMBER. TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISE. I WAS BORN THE 8TH DAY OF OCT. THATS WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.”<br />“Cardiff”<br /><br />Grace and Bec (maybe others) have posted in the past about this, but it just SO-O intrigues me. It's just plain witty, cheeky, funny, genius!!<br /><br />
    <br /><br />Cardiff, Wales and Cardiff, New York. Is this a fake resurrection, getting the public and fans ready for the REAL  REAL  AUTHENTIC  fake resurrection of Michael Jackson?<br /><br />
    <br /><br />Genius!! Good catch on the Cardiff parallel. We all know how much MJ admired the work of PT Barnum. :D<br />
    <br /><br />AMAZING!!!   ;D
    Wait, you guys didn't know about the Cardiff Giant parallel? We been talking about it since September of 2009. <br /><br />All I needed to hear was "Cardiff..." and it was the happy dance for me. Michael gave that as a gift directly to us. That clue wasn't for anyone else... it was just for US. Weeeeee!
  • I checked the venue out on line, http://www.wmc.org.uk/ticketing/prodDetail.aspx?tessID=22575&langCode=en and it would seem to me that the Cardiff Stadium is already booked for another artist on 8th October 2011, dont you think that is strange?<br /><br />
  • http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/07/27/charity-donation-row-angers-michael-jackson-fans-seeking-show-tickets-91466-29125629/<br /><br />Charity donation row angers Michael Jackson fans seeking tribute concert tickets<br /><br />    by James McCarthy, Western Mail<br />    Jul 27 2011<br /><br />    2Share<br /><br />Add a comment<br />Recommend<br />The Jackson family announce the tribute concert on the Millennium Stadium big screen<br />The Jackson family announce the tribute concert on the Millennium Stadium big screen<br /><br />FANS hoping to go to the Michael Jackson tribute concert at the Millennium Stadium in October have been told their chances of being there depend on how much they are willing to donate to charity – on top of the ticket price.<br /><br />Chris Hunt, boss of concert organisers Global Events Live, told CNN profits from the October 8 Michael Forever show would go to charities in the United States and Britain.<br /><br />These are The Prince’s Trust, Aids Project Los Angeles and a cancer charity.<br /><br />But fans logging on to the Global Events website to buy tickets – which will not be available until August 4 – are told: “Choose your ticket price and tell us how much you will give to the charities at the time of purchase.<br /><br />“Remember the more you pledge to charity, the more chance you have of getting a ticket. Tickets will range from £55 to £289 plus shipping. The amount of your pledge is up to you.”<br /><br />Fans of Jackson have reacted angrily to the situation.<br /><br />Cardiff father-of-three Daniel Robertson, 32, said he wanted tickets for his wife Ceri and their three children.<br /><br />He said: “It’s going to be like a lottery for the rich for myself and my family because the ticket prices are really high.<br /><br />“So they are steep tickets regardless, and then you have to donate to charity. I do a lot of work for the MS Society but it is wrong that you should be considered by the amount you can give to charity.”<br /><br />On the concert’s Facebook page Caroline Rowley – who also lives in Cardiff – said: “What an utter disgrace. Choose what price you want to pay and then donate to a charity? The more you donate the more you stand to get a ticket? Disgusting.”<br /><br />Mayah Thomas said: “Makes no sense does it? Why do they think anyone would be dumb enough to do that?”<br /><br />The Western Mail contacted Global Live and were referred to PR company Franklin Rae. A spokeswoman claimed she was not aware of the situation and was unable to comment.<br /><br />The Millennium Stadium is owned by the WRU. A spokesman said: “We will, as usual, ensure that all ticket distribution complies with the stadium’s obligations.”<br /><br />He insisted the company only provided the venue, adding: “We will ensure that the promoter is aware of any concerns raised in relation to the sale and distribution of tickets to the concert.”<br /><br />The furore comes as it was revealed the show has caused a huge rift in the Jackson family.<br /><br />Michael’s brothers Jermaine and Randy Jackson have both distanced themselves from it, though the event has been endorsed by their mum Katherine, the singer’s sister La Toya and his brothers Tito, Marlon and Jackie.<br /><br />In a statement Jermaine and Randy said: “We find it impossible to support an event that is due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael’s death.<br /><br />“Furthermore, the decision to proceed with this concert disrespects opinions and wishes expressed in the strongest terms to Global Live during conversations in April when this event was presented to the majority of the family as an idea already in its advanced stages.<br /><br />“There will come a time and place for an amazing and deserving tribute to Michael. But we feel that the most important tribute we can give to our brother at this time is to seek justice in his name.”<br /><br />Jermaine then tweeted he was “offered good money” to take part in the show.<br /><br />“We declined. It’s not about the money,” he said.<br /><br />He added that he “wouldn’t reconsider” his position “even if dates were moved because of how (the) promoter has handled matters”.<br /><br />Jermaine Jackson tried to mount a tribute concert in Vienna in 2009. Plans were scrapped after he struggled to get big-name acts.<br /><br />Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/07/27/charity-donation-row-angers-michael-jackson-fans-seeking-show-tickets-91466-29125629/#ixzz1TIGnYhc0<br />
  • <br />It seems this whole tribute Show is causing HUGE CONTROVERSY!!!  I always though when events were done for charity, it was the ticket sales which were donated to charity, not turning it into a bidding compeition, very strange.
    Oh this is great.<br /><br />The stadium is already booked and there's a huge negative backlash over ticket procedure.<br /><br />How long til it's canceled do we think? Another 48hrs? Betcha it's within 72.<br /><br />Lolololololol, this is great!
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    Bec, why is this great?  It just adds fuel to the fires of those who already have, shall we say, a negative view of the Jacksons.  It might be seen by some as evidence that they are a bunch of incompetant fools who can't even put a tribute concert together. I'm struggling to see how this benefits Michael.  I guess time will tell.
    on 1311787503:
    <br />Bec, why is this great?  It just adds fuel to the fires of those who already have, shall we say, a negative view of the Jacksons.  It might be seen by some as evidence that they are a bunch of incompetant fools who can't even put a tribute concert together. I'm struggling to see how this benefits Michael.  I guess time will tell.<br />
    <br />Just like Propofol reinforces people's belief that MJ was a drugged up weirdo.<br /><br />People believe what they want to believe... many of these stories were concocted to reinforce stereotypes already in place compliments of the mass media... I think. Those who chose to look past the headlines get sucked down the rabbithole... like yourself and yours truly. <br /><br />This, like anything else, is part of Standard Operating Procedure... since, and in all truth before, 6/25/09.
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Yes, it keeps MJ's name in the news, creates a buzz of discussion whether angry or excited. See the puppet-master dancing those strings!<br />I would have been/will be shocked if those tickets are actually sold, and the stadium actually booked for the event! Thanks Andrea!<br />Does anyone know what Karen F. has to say about the event, since she's in charge of stirring up the fans into a frenzie?<br /><br />I find it interesting that everyone's passing the blame on to a mysterious promoter/creator. The family, Global live, and the stadium all say it's not their fault and they can't do anything! So who's responsible?<br /><br />Sometimes I wonder how MJ's family members really feel about their parts in the hoax. Do they sometimes panic, thinking this looks really bad, I can't do this anymore, and MJ has to say, "Trust me!" Maybe that's why Janet's not so involved because she finds it stressful.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    Michael was in National Stadium, Cardiff Arms Park, on July 26, 1988 with the second leg of the BAD tour.<br /> It was a 55,000 sold out concert.<br /> <br />
    Music concerts were held at the National Stadium, Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff, Wales, between 1987 and 1996 and included U2, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones. The last concert at the stadium was performed by Tina Turner on 14 July 1996. In 1997 the National Stadium was demolished to make way for the Millennium Stadium.
    <br /> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_concerts_at_the_National_Stadium,_Cardiff_Arms_Park<br /> <br /> Setlist:<br /> http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/michael-jackson/1988/cardiff-arms-park-cardiff-wales-3bd67480.html<br /> <br /> Cardiff was concert #72 out of 120.<br /> <br /> "BAD timing": 120 beats / minute, Michael's 7th no. 1 hit in the U.S.<br />Timing is also: meter, planning, steering, ignition (tech.).<br /> <br /> The tribute concert is still listed on the stadium's homepage.<br /> http://www.millenniumstadium.com/events/26938.php