Fans Work to Protect Jackson's Name on Trial's Eve

PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
edited January 1970 in Dr. Conrad Murray
[size=14pt]Fans Work to Protect Jackson's Name on Trial's Eve[/size]<br /><br />ec1fc31f81864903bac3baf0e5f94d2c_mn.jpg<br /><br />Inside the compact, wood-paneled courtroom that will soon host the trial of Michael Jackson's personal physician, many of the tabloid-worthy elements of the singer's life will go unspoken.<br /><br />Outside, however, many Jackson fans say they expect a media free-for-all that will dredge up discredited allegations and salacious story lines, once again tarnishing the singer's legacy.<br /><br />Jackson, they fear, will once again be on trial.<br /><br />Around the globe, the King of Pop's supporters are already scanning headlines and airwaves for stories that contain inaccuracies about the singer's life, brand him a pedophile or describe him by the dismissive moniker "Jacko."<br /><br />The items quickly result in calls to editors, reporters, producers and a flurry of Facebook and Twitter posts to press for changes. In some instances, the references are removed.<br /><br />As the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray draws closer — jury selection resumes on Friday and opening statements are scheduled for Sept. 27 — concerns about Jackson's portrayal are growing.<br /><br />"We don't want Michael Jackson to be put up on a pedestal like he never made any mistakes," said Erin Jacobs, a founder of the Southern California-based group Justice4MJ.<br /><br />But she said the focus should remain on Murray, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter and who authorities allege gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol and other sedatives. The Houston-based cardiologist has pleaded not guilty.<br /><br />Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor has already limited what information Murray's defense attorneys can introduce about Jackson during the trial, excluding any details from the singer's 2005 child molestation trial, which ended in acquittal, his financial troubles, and witnesses who might describe the singer as a drug addict.<br /><br />The rulings have drawn praise from fans and court watchers alike, but may have limited effect in the era of blogs and social media.<br /><br />"For some salacious news organizations and the blogosphere, there won't be a check on fairness," said Ben Holden, director of the Reynolds National Center for the Courts and Media.<br /><br />Editors and producers have long acted similar to judges by deciding what details are necessary or irrelevant for news coverage, said Holden, a former Wall Street Journal reporter and attorney who attended Murray's preliminary hearing.<br /><br />Blogs and social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, which are now news sources, present new challenges.<br /><br />"It has always been the case that the juror's neighbors had information that the juror didn't have," Holden said. Yet nowadays, the neighbor "doesn't just get Walter Cronkite, he also gets Nancy Grace and TMZ."<br /><br />Potentially skewed posts from fans also have to be considered, Holden said.<br /><br />Many fan groups have active Twitter profiles and Facebook pages, including those aimed at providing explanatory content on the trial.<br /><br />One such site, PositivelyMichael.com, has a forum focused on the Murray case and other aspects of Jackson's death that has nearly 9,500 posts. Moderator Lynn Mathis said the site has become an international destination for updates on the case.<br /><br />"We have members all over the world," Mathis said. "This trial will not be covered there the way it is here."<br /><br />http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/fans-work-protect-jacksons-trials-eve-14572222#.TnpbCzdM3mo.twitter

Comments

• Too bad I do not live in LA I would support them.. I will start something here in my country.. Yup this is what I will do.. Michael's name has to be clean, no more put down.. Enough is enough..
  • skywaysskyways Posts: 745
    FULL SUPPORT@  lets dogged them and nailed down! Proffecional Ethic and moral standarts should be finaly meet each other -  anyone 'there' is hungry 4 BAD refferencies??<br />U ARENT SEE NOTHING YET!!<br />I believe we can truly teach them manner now - and they wl take it at this time cause everything is 4 SOLD on them and following Good judgment wl b only way to do it!;
  • One such site, PositivelyMichael.com, has a forum focused on the Murray case and other aspects of Jackson's death that has nearly 9,500 posts. Moderator Lynn Mathis said the site has become an international destination for updates on the case.<br /><br />"We have members all over the world," Mathis said. "This trial will not be covered there the way it is here."
    <br /><br />The person who wrote this article took the safe road and only spoke on a non-believers/deaders website. So if the author of this article knows that blog exists then they damn sure know we exist. I guess it is what I would call deny-ability. When shit hits tha fan and egg is plastered on the media this writer can say "Oh wow I had no idea"...LMAO.<br /><br />Excluding TMZ.  /cook/ <br /><br />
    "It has always been the case that the juror's neighbors had information that the juror didn't have," Holden said. Yet nowadays, the neighbor "doesn't just get Walter Cronkite, he also gets Nancy Grace and TMZ."