LA Times Article/ AEG Attorney

LoveunitedLoveunited Posts: 370
edited January 1970 in News
From the L.A. Times.<br /><br />Please read ENTIRE article  :multiplespotting:<br /><br /><br />Michael Jackson-AEG wrongful death trial opens Monday <br /><br /><br /> <br /><br />By Jeff Gottlieb<br />April 23, 2013, 5:17 p.m.<br /><br /><br /><br />What’s likely to be a dramatic tour through Michael Jackson’s final days begins Monday when attorneys make opening statements in a wrongful death trial that could last deep into the summer.<br /><br /><br />Six alternates were selected Tuesday, joining a dozen jurors who were seated the previous day. The alternates would replace any juror who  can’t continue or is removed from the panel.<br /> <br />Jackson’s mother and children are suing Los Angeles entertainment giant AEG, alleging it is liable for Jackson’s death because it hired and supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, who used a powerful surgical anesthetic in an effort to help the singer cope with insomnia. Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011.<br /><br />The case is likely to veer into the sensational, pitting Jackson’s towering legacy against a business enterprise that has had a profound influence on the entertainment scene, particularly in Los Angeles.<br /> <br />Though the trial will zero in on whether the singer or AEG is responsible for hiring Murray, testimony will likely touch on the singer’s death, his feeble physical state as his much-anticipated comeback concert series approached and his eccentricities.<br /> <br />In court papers, Jackson’s family has described AEG as a heartless, money-driven machine that pushed Jackson to prepare for a tour that he was not physically capable of pulling off.<br /> <br />AEG says it in no way controlled the singer and that bringing Murray aboard as Jackson’s personal physician was Jackson’s choice. The company, in court papers, said it recommended hiring a British doctor.<br /> <br />Jackson’s “This Is It” comeback concerts were to have debuted in London in 2009.<br /> <br />The singer died two weeks before the tour was to launch. AEG was the promoter of 50 concerts Jackson was scheduled to give in London.<br /> <br />On Tuesday, after both sides agreed to the alternates, the remaining members of the jury pool let out a cheer, knowing they would not spend the next four months in a courtroom.<br /> <br />"You can get go on with your lives," Superior Court Judge Yvette M. Palazuelos said.<br /> <br />[size=24pt]Perhaps the oddest moment of the jury picking occurred Tuesday when AEG attorney Marvin Putnam said he would not stipulate that Michael Jackson was dead[/size]

Comments

• hopihopi Posts: 195
    ;D :icon_e_biggrin: :abouttime: :icon_bounce: :icon_razz: ...<br /><br /> :bearhug:
  • Oh my God!!!! After reading the last sentence, I had to search for the article and read it for myself.  I found it and here is the link: <br /><br />http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-michael-jackson-aeg-20130423,0,7203229.story?track=rss&amp;utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)&lt;br /><br />The legal definition of STIPULATION is:" During the course of a civil lawsuit, criminal proceeding, or any other type of litigation, the opposing attorneys may come to an agreement about certain facts and issues. Such an agreement is called a stipulation. Courts look with favor on stipulations because they save time and simplify the matters that must be resolved. Stipulations are voluntary, however, and courts may not require litigants to stipulate with the other side. A valid stipulation is binding only on the parties who agree to it. Courts are usually bound by valid stipulations and are required to enforce them."<br /><br />Thank you Loveunited. This is it, this is what we've been waiting for, this is the moment....... Calm down....... Odd moment indeed....<br /><br />
  • So, from the definition, if Kathryn's and the children's lawyer agrees to this stipulation, then the court is required to enforce it and no court needed since Michael IS ALIVE.  :omg:<br /><br />
  • this is very interesting because Michael's death because negiligent hiring by AEG is the very basis of this trial.<br />What does Putnam mean exactly?
  • It means that AEG' s attorney Mr. Marvin Putnam said that he would not stipulate = determine that Michael Jackson was dead so it's the same that say that Michael Jackson might have escaped death or that MJ is alive.    :woohoo2: :penguin: :michael-jackson: :Michael_Jackson_dancing_smile
  • <br />That's a remarkable statement to say the least! Thanks for posting Loveunited.<br /><br /><br />So, the opening statements will be next Monday. I hope I will be able to follow the news on internet in France next week, which i doubt in the Provence area. Anyway, I will enjoy the break, it will clear my head  :icon_geek:
  • AdiAdi Posts: 1,834
    So let me get this straight......Katherine's Lawyers are stipulating that Michael Jackson is dead but the AEG Lawyers would not agree to the stipulation? or have I read it incorrectly?<br /><br />LOL!!!!! have the AEG Lawyers been reading here?....ya' know hedging their bets?....covering all bases?....just in case he turns out to be *not dead* - hilarious!<br /><br />
  • RKRK Posts: 3,019
    on 1366810450:
    <br /> That's a remarkable statement to say the least! Thanks for posting Loveunited.<br /><br /><br />So, the opening statements will be next Monday. I hope I will be able to follow the news on internet in France next week, which i doubt in the Provence area. Anyway, I will enjoy the break, it will clear my head  :icon_geek:<br />
    <br /><br />Yes quite a statement.  Interesting that the date the trial starts adds up to 21
  • but how can putnam say that? it is still strange for me though, given the fact that Murray had been convicted for the involuntary manslaughter.<br />We know AEG Live has to be somehow involved in the hoax. If Putnam was referring to MJ being alive/has escaped it means that most probably the AEG party would win. Then what about the KJ party? There has to be some other purpose behind thios trial apart from revealing 'completely' that MJ is alive.
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    This is truly weird!  In the legal world a stipulation is something both sides agree on and therefore don't waste court time arguing about.  If AEG won't agree that MJ is dead .... I'm kind of speechless actually!  Where the heck is this all going?!
  • I want to explain how significant I think this article is.  First, it is written by a reporter from LA TIMES, and LA TIMES is NOT a tabloid.  It is the largest news organization in LA.<br />Second, this statement is made by a lawyer who represents AEG.  A lawyer of all things....... not just a simple, unimportant hoaxer like me.<br /><br />This statement is very odd indeed as the article says, since if it is agreed and binding, the judge has to enforce it, which means that now it is revealed to the whole world that MICHAEL IS ALIVE...... and all they have to do  is prove it...........<br />
    on 1366817716:
    <br />This is truly weird!  In the legal world a stipulation is something both sides agree on and therefore don't waste court time arguing about.  If AEG won't agree that MJ is dead .... I'm kind of speechless actually!  Where the heck is this all going?!<br />
    <br /><br />Yeah exactly! <br /><br />Presumably the stipulation is from the KJ side?....if it is, then if AEG don't agree to stipulate that Michael Jackson is dead, which is a pretty basic kind of stipulation in a "Wrongful Death" trial....then yes...where is this all headed? <br /><br />Does AEG then need to *prove* that Michael Jackson is not dead?  :icon_cool:
    @Faithad777...I just read your post after I posted mine..... on the same wavelength ...love it!
  • Well.. all I can say is that sounds good to me!!  :Michael_Jackson_dancing_smile <br /> :multiplespotting:<br />'Da troot' will prevail!
    on 1366818462:
    <br />.........Does AEG then need to *prove* that Michael Jackson is not dead?  :icon_cool:<br />
    <br /><br />D'ya think they'd like our help with that??!!!  :icon_lol:
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    Perhaps the oddest moment of the jury picking occurred Tuesday when AEG attorney Marvin Putnam said he would not stipulate that Michael Jackson was dead
    <br /><br /><br />ja!.. the people have their doubts but many do not dare to say
  • Hi Adi, yah, I know, it's all good.  I still can't believe we are reading this......that this is really happening.......I literally had to re-read that last statement from Putnam several times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or something!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg:
    :LolLolLolLol: Faithad.....<br /><br />Yeah, baby, yeah!<br />
    <br /><br />hehe
    on 1366819221:
    <br />
    on 1366818462:
    <br />.........Does AEG then need to *prove* that Michael Jackson is not dead?  :icon_cool:<br />
    <br /><br />D'ya think they'd like our help with that??!!!  :icon_lol:<br />
    <br /><br />naahhh.....they probably already know all about it  :icon_e_wink:
    Before we get too carried away with this, I just read this explanation on MJJC which seems pretty plausible and makes Putnam's statement just legal procedure.<br /><br />http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/127843-General-Discussion-AEG-files-their-summary-judgment-motion-asking-to-dismiss-Katherine-s-lawsuit/page132?p=3813323#post3813323<br /><br />
  • so here's recent tweets from @Ivy_4MJ<;br /><br />03418-d09c7d55-8490-4c5d-952c-3af8d16c14a0.png
  • Adi, I can't watch the video now since I'm at work, will watch whenever I have a chance.<br /><br />"Perhaps the oddest moment of the jury picking occurred Tuesday when AEG attorney Marvin Putnam said he would not stipulate that Michael Jackson was dead[/b]"<br /><br />Curls, I read the MJJC explanation, but I have an issue with it and my argument to it is that it is already established that Michael died almost 4 years ago, there was  a trial and Murray was found guilty and sentenced to jail.  This civil trial is to deny or confirm that AEG IS or ISN'T responsible for his death.  Not that he died....... So why on earth would the stipulation that he is dead come into question???
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    Believers and non-believers will always see things differently. I guess it's good to have their pov to keep some balance but we must admit that it's a big hoaxy sentence... as always only tIME will tell!  :ghsdf:
  • on 1366822234:
    <br />Adi, I can't watch the video now since I'm at work, will watch whenever I have a chance.<br /><br />"Perhaps the oddest moment of the jury picking occurred Tuesday when AEG attorney Marvin Putnam said he would not stipulate that Michael Jackson was dead[/b]"<br /><br />Curls, I read the MJJC explanation, but I have an issue with it and my argument to it is that it is already established that Michael died almost 4 years ago, there was  a trial and Murray was found guilty and sentenced to jail.  This civil trial is to deny or confirm that AEG IS or ISN'T responsible for his death.  Not that he died....... So why on earth would the stipulation that he is dead come into question???<br />
    <br /><br /><br />agree, it's like the whole issue is going into some other dimension. AEG is not here to tell whether or not Michael self administered the drug, killed himself or whatever. The only matter they must be concerned about is hiring murray and in this situation Putnam saying such a statement is indeed bold. I hope to see news article in the near future explaining the context surrounding the statement.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Oh deaders will do back flips to explain away the obvious. That's nothing new. They had all sorts of logical explanations for "alleged victim" on "alleged date" too. All BS and we knew it.<br /><br />I'll go ahead n get carried away.<br /><br />It's going to get more n more obvious. In the end, MJ himself might just moonwalk across the courtroom.<br /><br />Deaders will say he's just an impersonator.  Lol!