Harlem Speech

neverlandprincessneverlandprincess Posts: 607
edited January 1970 in Michael's Speeches
This is my favorite speech...I love how sincere and intense he gets while still being humble. I highlighted my favorite line <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
I remember a long time ago in Indiana, I was not more than about 6-7 yrs old, I had a dream that I want to be a performer, you know an entertainer, umm, I would be sleeping in the night and my mother would wake me up. "Michael, Michael, James Brown is on TV". I jump out of bed & scream at the screen & every twist every turn every bump every......and there was Jackie Wilson...just on & on unlimited great talent, its very sad to see that these artists are really paying for their... they created so much joy for the world & the system the ...millionaire record companies totally .. its not like they always say you know they build a brick house, they spit a lot of money, & bought a lot of cars, & stupid excuses...not compared to what artists make...

I just need you to know that this is very important what we are fighting for because I am tired really really tired of all the manipulations. I am tired of how the press is manipulating everything ...of this situation, they do not tell the truth... they lie.

They manipulate our history books, the history books are not true, its a lie, the history books are lying, you need to know that, you must know that.

All the form of popular music from Jazz to Hip-Hop, to Bebop, to Soul you talk about different dances from Catwalk, to Jitterbug, to Charleston, to Break dancing - all these are forms of black dancing...whats more important to giving people a sense of escapism, an escapism meaning entertainment , what would it be without a song without a dance, & joy & laughter, & music these things are very important but if you go to the bookstore down the corner, you will not see one black person on the cover, you'll see Elvis Prisley ...(applause)... you'll see the Rolling Stores...but we're the real pioneers who started these.

Otis Blackwell was a prolific phenomenal writer who wrote some of the greatest Elvis Presley songs & this was a black man, he died penniless. I met his daughter today and I'm so honored. It was the same level as meeting the Queen of England.

All injustice..you got to remember something ...the minute I started breaking the all times records record sales, I broke all time records, I broke Elvis's records, I broke Beatle's records...the minute I made the all time best selling albums in the history of world records...overnight they call me a freak, they called me a homosexual, they called me a child molester, they said I tried to bleach my skin...they said everything to turn the public against me...this all complete complete conspiracy, you have to know this...

I know my race, I just look in the mirror I know I'm black ...you know the thing is...I love you all...its time for a change and let's not leave this building & forget what has been said. Put it into your heart put it in your subconscious mind & lets do something about it...You have to. We have to. Its been a long long time coming & a change is got to come, so lets hold our torches high & get the respect we deserve...I love you...I love you...I wanna say ...Please don't put this in ur heart today & forget it tomorrow, we will not have accomplished our purpose. We will not have accomplished our purpose. If that happens this has got to stop, got to stop. Thats why i am here with the best to make sure it stops... I love you folks.

Thank you. And remember we all are brothers & sisters no matter what color we are.

Comments

• mumof3mumof3 Posts: 1,973
    such a great speech i thin thsi is all part of his plan a great lesson for us all
  • @All We have to make sure that the name and the Legasy of MICHAEL JACKSON Goes down in the the History Books <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: -->
  • Like Michael Jackson.. i too am colour blind.
  • Such a powerful speech! Such an amazing man!

[youtube:rsq1fie3]

With L.O.V.E