Teva says it will stop making sedative linked to MJ's death

edited January 1970 in News
Teva says it will stop making sedative linked to Michael Jackson's death
Associated Press
Updated: 05/28/2010 09:46:21 AM CDT

NEW YORK — Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. said today it will stop making its sedative propofol, which became infamous when it was linked to the death of Michael Jackson last year.

Teva did not say why it is discontinuing propofol, but the company is facing almost 250 lawsuits connected to the drug. It is a sedative often used in operating rooms.

The Food and Drug Administration says there has been a shortage of the drug since last fall because manufacturing problems forced both Teva and Hospira Inc. to suspend manufacturing and recall some of the product.

To help deal with the shortage, the agency authorized the importation of a version approved in Europe.

AstraZeneca PLC developed the brand name version of the drug, which is called Divipran. Teva, Hospira, and Eisai Co. of Japan have been authorized to sell generic versions.

Teva, which is based in Israel, said it will continue marketing doses that have already been made. The company said it believes propofol is safe and effective when it is used properly.

In 2008, propofol was connected to a hepatitis C outbreak that infected as many as 114 people. Vials of propofol were allegedly used to treat more than one patient each, spreading the liver disease.

Earlier this month, a court ordered Teva to pay $356 million to a man who said he contracted hepatitis C from a vial of propofol. Teva's partner, Baxter International Inc., was ordered to pay $144 million. Both companies say they plan to appeal that verdict, and Teva said that if the man contracted hepatitis C from the clinic, it was because the drug was "blatantly misused."

Teva shares fell 75 cents, or 1.4 percent, to $54.95 in morning trading today.

Source: <!-- m -->http://www.twincities.com/ci_15181995<!-- m -->

Comments

• In 2008, propofol was connected to a hepatitis C outbreak that infected as many as 114 people. Vials of propofol were allegedly used to treat more than one patient each, spreading the liver disease.
    <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
  • In 2008, propofol was connected to a hepatitis C outbreak that infected as many as 114 people. Vials of propofol were allegedly used to treat more than one patient each, spreading the liver disease.
    <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
    <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o -->
  • RKRK Posts: 3,019
    Doesn't Pamela Anderson have Hep C?
    I'm thinking of those articles about Mike and Pammie out together in late 2008 and the white mask man that accompanied her whilst in London[ also rumoured to be Mike]
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    No wonder, TEVA got a warning letter from FDA in December 2009:

"This is regarding our July 13 through July 24, 2009 inspection of your pharmaceutical manufacturing facility, Teva Parenteral Medicines, Inc., located at 19 Hughes, Irvine, California.
    [...]
    We have received your firm's responses of August 10, September 4 and 8, October 27 and 29; and November 13, 2009, and note these Responses lack sufficient corrective actions."

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm209222.htm
  • Game PlayerGame Player Posts: 386
    It's horrible that many people were infected. And $356 million to one person is no joke. Wow.
  • Gov't Issues Warning Over Propofol
    Jul 14th 2009 11:23 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
    0714_propofol_bn_02_getty-1.jpg

We've learned the FDA and CDC have issued a warning over certain batches of Propofol -- the drug found in Michael Jackson's home on day he died and the drug that may have killed him.

As far as we know the investigation is not related to Jackson, but certain lots from a pharmaceutical company in Irvine, Calif. have proven to be "tainted" and the company has issued a voluntary recall.

There have been no fatalities and so far the cases have only been reported in Florida, Arizona and Missouri -- but the CDC is urging physicians across the country to check their inventories because the product was distributed nationwide.
    http://www.tmz.com/2009/07/14/govt-issues-warning-over-propofol/2/

Propofol Manufacturer in MJ Case in the Dark
    Aug 13th 2009 2:01 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Michael Jackson PropofolWe just got off the phone with Hospira Inc., one of the Propofol manufacturers mentioned in the Las Vegas warrant used to search a pharmacy connected to Dr. Conrad Murray.

It appears law enforcement believes Hospira manufactured one of the bottles of Propofol found in Michael Jackson's home after he died.

A rep from Hospira tells us "Hospira is one of a number of companies that currently produce Propofol. Hospira has no information regarding the manufacturer of the alleged bottles of Diprivan/Propofol at Michael Jackson's home. Any licensed health care provider could purchase drugs from many sources, including wholesalers and other distribution channels."

Translation ... they won't say if law enforcement has contacted the company -- though we know the DEA has already contacted the manufacturers of the Propofol lots found in Jackson's home.

The company also appears to be saying ... once it leaves their facility, they have no idea where it goes.
    http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/13/propofol-manufacturer-in-michael-jackson-hospira-pharmacy/

Pharma Agency recalls Propofol upon finding particulate matter
    March 8, 2010

International pharmaceutical company Hospira Inc. has issued a recall for Hospira Propofol Injectable Emulsion 1% last November 6 2009, after amounts of particular matter were found in the product.

The recall targets 73 lots of the product distributed between July and October of 2009, with lot numbers beginning with either 79 or 80.

The particles were said to have originated from the company’s stainless steel manufacturing equipment used in the creation of the Propofol batch.

Hospira cautioned that the particles, upon entering the patient’s blood stream, could cause serious, life-threatening physical effects, including kidney failure, liver failure, heart attacks, respiratory failure, blood clots, pulmonary embolisms, and death.

It could also lead to Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS), which could aggravate whatever physical damages already caused by the particles.

Despite the indicated dangers, Hospira has assured that the specific cause of the tainted Propofol has been identified, and the company has taken the necessary steps and precautions to remedy the manufacturing problem.

There have been no reports of any injuries or dangerous events that have taken place due to the use of the Propofol.

Propofol is a type of generic hypnotic agent used for both sedative and anesthetic purposes. It is also sold under brand names Diprivan by AstraZeneca.
    http://www.newlifecertified.com/2010/03/pharma-agency-recalls-propofol-upon-finding-particulate-matter/

[youtube:du6rnuh9]

[youtube:du6rnuh9]
  • hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
    This is interesting and causes me to wonder if Michael's alleged lot was indeed infected. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> Could be the reason Conrad Murray is not worried about being canned. They are going after those manufacturers. But how does this fit in? I am not quite on it. If Michael was injected with an affected batch, what does it mean? Could it be that he was purposely given a tainted injection without Murray's knowledge of the contaminate? Help me out here. I'm kinda lost. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: --> Do we all believe even that Michael was even injected with propofol on 6/25? Unless he was really going to do the 0-2 shows, which I don't believe that he had any intentions of doing, I'm kinda on the mid line about that one.
  • This is interesting and causes me to wonder if Michael's alleged lot was indeed infected. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> Could be the reason Conrad Murray is not worried about being canned. They are going after those manufacturers. But how does this fit in? I am not quite on it. If Michael was injected with an affected batch, what does it mean? Could it be that he was purposely given a tainted injection without Murray's knowledge of the contaminate? Help me out here. I'm kinda lost. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: --> Do we all believe even that Michael was even injected with propofol on 6/25? Unless he was really going to do the 0-2 shows, which I don't believe that he had any intentions of doing, I'm kinda on the mid line about that one.

I think there was a conspiracy to harm Michael and he knew about it. I believe the tainted propofol was a plan B. If the public didn't buy the overdose story then it was tainted propofol that did him in. But as I said I think he knew about the plan and used it to his advantage.
  • hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
    Okay,thanks. Got it <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • IntegrityIntegrity Posts: 449
    I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ FOR MONEY PEOPLE WILL LIE & DO ANYTHING. I WOULD HAVE TO SEE THE LEGAL PAPER WORK OR THEY WOULD HAVE TO SHUT DOWN ALL BUILDINGS WHERE IT IS BIENG PROCESSED AND HAVE IT CLOSED DOWN AND MAKE INTO A RECOVERY CENTER TO HELP PEOPLE WHO THEY HAVE ADDICTED WITH THIS DRUG.
    THIS ACTION THEY ARE TAKING <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> RIGHT NOW ALL IS TALK! <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->