Michael's career :(

LonelynationLonelynation Posts: 277
edited January 1970 in General MJ Discussion
I was just watching Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies and have this awful feeling in my stomach. You see footage from him winning the 8 grammys for Thriller, then his Bad tour and it just starts going downhill. It just truly hurts my heart to see that happen to him. I know you can't knock it out of the park everytime, but things just kept getting worse. He started going too far with plastic surgery, stopped really doing music or performing, and the tabloids went crazy. I just wish he would have 'ended' on a high note. That he wouldn't have been sort of considered a 'has-been'. I don't want people to yell at me for saying that, I truly love Michael, but in trying to be honest.. he was out for sometime and though he obviously impacted pop culture to the way it is today, he was no longer relevant. That sounds awful but I hope you understand what I mean.

Please help me wash this terrible feeling away. He just deserved so much more <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Comments

• I feel so guilty for admitting this but one time I wondered what it would have been like if he died in 1993 with no allegations at all and no jordy in his life, he would have been a legend immediately with no tainting like that. But then we wouldn't have had HIStory, Blood On the Dancefloor or Invincible and he wouldn't have had kids who are going to keep his good name alive, so everything happens for a reason even if unjust.
  • LonelynationLonelynation Posts: 277
    I suppose you're right. I guess I just wish he could have 'gone out' on top, you know? He deserved it. He worked so hard for everything only for liars to take him down - or try to. I don't know if you noticed or not, but I haven't once heard him referred to as Wacko Jacko since he died, at least not where I'm from. It makes me mad almost because it's like... they didn't even think as to how it made him feel before, and now that he's 'gone', now they're going to appreciate him? Grrr
  • If I hear jacko, it's only once in awhile, but never wacko. And the "self proclaimed" and "former" king of pop titles are gone too, thank god!

But here is the other thing, the media and most people may have trashed him, but even before I talked to mj fans online at all, I was sooo fortunate to know people who enjoyed mj a lot in the late 90's and weren't ashamed of it. I remember our teachers would bring in his videos for us to watch if we finished work and stuff like that, in like 97. But of course there were some kids later on too who would make mean jokes and others who appreciated him. The media wants you to think all hated him but there are some who don't and they're not diehards either.
  • Lonelynation, I understand what you mean. It does look like the good things that Michael did and was were often overshadowed by various dark clouds, and that Michael's life had a downward trajectory. I believe, however, that the reality is more nuanced than that. Michael was never a "has-been" and never stopped creating beautiful music... He was always there, doing his thing - it's just that many people stopped paying attention at some point. I myself discovered many songs I didn't know AFTER Michael died/disappeared (which I am ashamed to admit)!! And as we have heard, there are hundreds of unreleased songs! That was, actually, one of the greatest revelations for me about MJ: The artist, the musician, was ALWAYS there.

I believe that the universe generally finds a way to right our wrongs (the humanity's wrongs, that is), and to give people their rightful place in history. I would bet that 50 or 100 years from now no one will talk about D. Diamond or M. Bashir, but people will still talk about Michael Jackson. And MJ's WORKS will likely become more important as time passes. I mean, people still talk about the works of Mozart, Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde... But they don't talk about their lives or detractors much. The WORKS endure more than anything else.

GREAT ART IS FOREVER.
  • I was just watching Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies and have this awful feeling in my stomach. You see footage from him winning the 8 grammys for Thriller, then his Bad tour and it just starts going downhill. It just truly hurts my heart to see that happen to him. I know you can't knock it out of the park everytime, but things just kept getting worse. He started going too far with plastic surgery, stopped really doing music or performing, and the tabloids went crazy. I just wish he would have 'ended' on a high note. That he wouldn't have been sort of considered a 'has-been'. I don't want people to yell at me for saying that, I truly love Michael, but in trying to be honest.. he was out for sometime and though he obviously impacted pop culture to the way it is today, he was no longer relevant. That sounds awful but I hope you understand what I mean.

Please help me wash this terrible feeling away. He just deserved so much more <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

I come back here to check the world of MJ Hoax possibility... and here I find a topic that many athletes, actors, and artists deal with... the 'has been' factor...

The truth is it's all in the mind. Arnold Scwartzenegger could have took the defeated route and accepted the has been mentality, but he didn't and found that we are always in the now despite what is going on in our lives. Same goes for MJ lol the other one Michael Jordan, he could have chocked it up and felt there was nothing more for him to do after basketball, did he? NO his sneakers are worn by lil kids who don't even know what Jordan even looks like LOL. Not sure if still makes suits and tuxedos but he is not a has been either. There are people in this world who lost limbs, eyesight and all types of things, they don't give up and find a way to do the things they love with more vigor than a well abled person... The HAS BEEN thing is an attitude that must be accepted to be applied.

AND MICHAEL JACKSON WAS NEVER A HAS BEEN- EVEN IN DEATH HE IS RELEVANT!!
  • I was just watching Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies and have this awful feeling in my stomach. You see footage from him winning the 8 grammys for Thriller, then his Bad tour and it just starts going downhill. It just truly hurts my heart to see that happen to him. I know you can't knock it out of the park everytime, but things just kept getting worse. He started going too far with plastic surgery, stopped really doing music or performing, and the tabloids went crazy. I just wish he would have 'ended' on a high note. That he wouldn't have been sort of considered a 'has-been'. I don't want people to yell at me for saying that, I truly love Michael, but in trying to be honest.. he was out for sometime and though he obviously impacted pop culture to the way it is today, he was no longer relevant. That sounds awful but I hope you understand what I mean.

I come back here to check the world of MJ Hoax possibility... and here I find a topic that many athletes, actors, and artists deal with... the 'has been' factor...

The truth is it's all in the mind. Arnold Scwartzenegger could have took the defeated route and accepted the has been mentality, but he didn't and found that we are always in the now despite what is going on in our lives. Same goes for MJ lol the other one Michael Jordan, he could have chocked it up and felt there was nothing more for him to do after basketball, did he? NO his sneakers are worn by lil kids who don't even know what Jordan even looks like LOL. Not sure if still makes suits and tuxedos but he is not a has been either. There are people in this world who lost limbs, eyesight and all types of things, they don't give up and find a way to do the things they love with more vigor than a well abled person... The HAS BEEN thing is an attitude that must be accepted to be applied.

Thank you for this beautiful explanation on the definition of a "has-been". You couldn't be more correct IMO.

It's evident that Michael knew the importance of living in the here and now. I saw an interview where he had told someone to pay attention to what they did every day because it's history in the making (or something like that). He continued to create, to sing, to write, to produce, to give, to influence. He had a line of clothes that was due to come out.

I believe that sometimes when we don't see someone as we have in the past we automatically think they are all washed up. But I don't think that's the case with Michael Jackson. He's been behind the scenes all along, assisting and influencing younger artists. He's been reinventing himself. He's as relevant as ever, just in a different way. He's matured. Blessings.

Thank you for this beautiful explanation on the definition of a "has-been". You couldn't be more correct IMO.

It's evident that Michael knew the importance of living in the here and now. I saw an interview where he had told someone to pay attention to what they did every day because it's history in the making (or something like that). He continued to create, to sing, to write, to produce, to give, to influence. He had a line of clothes that was due to come out.

I believe that sometimes when we don't see someone as we have in the past we automatically think they are all washed up. But I don't think that's the case with Michael Jackson. He's been behind the scenes all along, assisting and influencing younger artists. He's been reinventing himself. He's as relevant as ever, just in a different way. He's matured. Blessings.

<!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: --> hope so
  • MJFAN7MJFAN7 Posts: 3,063
    I understand what you're saying, I just disagree with the "going too far with plastic surgery" to me, Michael didn't have very much plastic surgery at all, he got his nose done a few times, but if you compare it to other pictures he looks the same, just the skin throws you off because of vitiligo.

I wish he never got charged with molestation, that's what ruined his image the most. Those stupid false allegations! If i could go back in time, I would take Jordy chandler's parents, and Evan Chandler and throw them to another planet. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

After June 25, 2009, a LOT more people became fans though, and Michael's image was looking better, but there are still a few bad apples out there that don't like him, unfortunately. They just don't understand how great he is, I wish they would take the time to though. <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| -->
  • teine21teine21 Posts: 898
    I don't agree with the "has been" part or the "too far with plastic surgery" but it is true that he would have been loved more & even bigger of a legend had he kept going & had the allegations never happened. He never would've lost fans, he never would've kind of faded the way he did. & I mean that in the sense that he did stop making music & kind of just walked around with masks & scarves on his face & later in life that's what he was known for. BEFORE he "died" he was reffered to as the the guy who once was on top of the world, he made thriller, he was the biggest star in the world. Keyword WAS. & the sad thing is, had the allegations NEVER happened, nothing else would've either. He would've still been respected & loved by EVERYONE, nobody would've turned their back on him. He sadly, if he did die, left this world known to a lot of people as Wacko Jacko the pedophile, the freak. It hurts to know that. I mean, tons of people still love him & don't think of him like that at all & while there are some artists who love him & respect him, a lot of people are saying nice things about now because it's the cool thing to do but if he were still alive, they'd still be bashing him or turning their cheek to him.