I feel so left out

SangreSangre Posts: 648
edited January 1970 in General MJ Discussion
Am I the only non-religious person here? Don't get me wrong, I respect people regardless of whether they believe in God or not and I'm not against religion in any way, but I get lost when a lot of the posts here turn into biblical studies. I don't mind or at least I shouldn't, but I feel like I have nothing to do here if I fail to provide a quote from the Holy Bible and I hate being isolated from the rest of the community. Just throwing it out here...I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Comments

• I hear ya, I am not religious and just skip over that stuff. Not my cup of tea either, <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • nick_93nick_93 Posts: 269
    No you are definitely not alone, I am exactly the same. In fact, I have been feeling like this too and have feared posting something like you have in case of a back lash. I feel extremely lost when God and the Bible is brought into it all and I feel like I'm not really apart of it all this when alot of people talk about God. I also hope to not hurt anyone's feelings and I hope the lack of response in this thread isn't because we have done that but I must admit, it does make cringe to see constant talk of God doing all these things and helping out and then even more so with Bible references etc. I guess I just do that because it's not my cup of tea and it's contrary to my beliefs but each to their own, I respect that. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • DatrootDatroot Posts: 1,314
    Same here.
  • Sangra/LovelyLurker, I am sorry to see that you feel that way, by no means are you not important, you are. So please do not feel discouraged by this, I am christian myself, and I comment sometimes. Mostly I enjoy reading what everyone has to say on the subject, I keep it at that. So please know that both of you are never left out....

By the way LovelyLurker, I love your name :D
  • lilwendylilwendy Posts: 788
    I'm one of the Bible quotin God lovin people! LOL

In my offline life I deal with people of all belief sets - from Christians, to Atheists, to Sikhs, to Hindus, to JWs, to you name it.

My disclaimer to all is if I reference the Bible or God it's because that's what makes me, me. Those are my beliefs. I saw someone post a quote from the Quran (oh I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly.. sorry!) and I was so excited because that person was sharing from what they believe.

If you don't believe in God, or don't read the Bible, while I truly wish you would because I believe it would bless you, I won't judge you for it. You have made that decision for your life and I respect that.

You can still share... share a great quote you know that is relevant... share from your experiences.... try to understand what the Bible quotes we use are conveying and leave it at that.

If there is anything I could do better when referencing verses or God to allow people with differing beliefs to feel "included" please do let me know.

And if I have said anything to make you feel excluded, please accept my apologies. It was not intentional!

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Am I the only non-religious person here? Don't get me wrong, I respect people regardless of whether they believe in God or not and I'm not against religion in any way, but I get lost when a lot of the posts here turn into biblical studies. I don't mind or at least I shouldn't, but I feel like I have nothing to do here if I fail to provide a quote from the Holy Bible and I hate being isolated from the rest of the community. Just throwing it out here...I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

You're not alone! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> I'm more into metaphysical, self-help things myself. Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, etc., that kinda stuff. xD Not very religious at all! Lolz <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
  • SangreSangre Posts: 648
    I tend to be philosophical, but in no way spiritual though I do find it very beautiful to believe in something.
  • KeikoKeiko Posts: 50
    You are definitely not alone. I'm not a religious person, either. I know absolutely nothing about the Bible other than the Genesis creation story (Adam and Eve). All these Johns and Pauls and whomevers confuse me... <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
    I'm more of a metaphysical, spiritual person myself - I do believe in God, but standard religion has never been my thing. I agree, it's frustrating when everyone makes biblical references, especially when it's used as proof of something. I respect others' opinions, but I just skip over it as well.
    You are definitely not alone. I'm not a religious person, either. I know absolutely nothing about the Bible other than the Genesis creation story (Adam and Eve). All these Johns and Pauls and whomevers confuse me... <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
    I'm more of a metaphysical, spiritual person myself - I do believe in God, but standard religion has never been my thing. I agree, it's frustrating when everyone makes biblical references, especially when it's used as proof of something. I respect others' opinions, but I just skip over it as well.

I get it, especially with the "proof."
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    I'm an in-betweener!! Maybe you'd call that sitting on the fence! I'm calling it an open mind! Brought up with formal religion, rejected it, looked at other ideas, rejected them all. I didn't want to know when God and the bible started being quoted by TS and others here and for a long time I skipped over those bits!

But recently, I've become more understanding of how important MJ's belief in God is to him. Whatever our own personal beliefs, I think we have to acknowledge this side of MJ, as it's certainly a HUGE part of what makes him tick, and I'd be doing him a disservice if I just skipped over or ignored this aspect of his being!

And I'm wondering why on earth so many of us here felt overwhelmingly drawn, led or guided to learn about MJ after he 'died', by something we couldn't explain. That sounds pretty spiritual to me!

Please don't feel left out! We're all needed here - it's a great adventure (I think!).
  • trublutrublu Posts: 1,011
    You are not alone. I am not religious but I believe in the afterlife. But I do not practice any religion. I guess I am agnostic. Love to you <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
    I'm an in-betweener!! Maybe you'd call that sitting on the fence! I'm calling it an open mind! Brought up with formal religion, rejected it, looked at other ideas, rejected them all. I didn't want to know when God and the bible started being quoted by TS and others here and for a long time I skipped over those bits!

But recently, I've become more understanding of how important MJ's belief in God is to him. Whatever our own personal beliefs, I think we have to acknowledge this side of MJ, as it's certainly a HUGE part of what makes him tick, and I'd be doing him a disservice if I just skipped over or ignored this aspect of his being!

And I'm wondering why on earth so many of us here felt overwhelmingly drawn, led or guided to learn about MJ after he 'died', by something we couldn't explain. That sounds pretty spiritual to me!

Please don't feel left out! We're all needed here - it's a great adventure (I think!).

A lot of famous people gain more acceptance after something tragic has happened to them. People don't appreciate what they have until it's gone. IMO, there's nothing spiritual about that; just human nature.
    A lot of famous people gain more acceptance after something tragic has happened to them. People don't appreciate what they have until it's gone. IMO, there's nothing spiritual about that; just human nature.

I've done the 'human nature' thing you describe with other famous people that I liked/admired. All I can say is my experience this time, with MJ, is totally different and feels like I'm tapping into a previously hidden part of myself. Hard to describe, and maybe I shouldn't have called it 'spiritual', but I'm keeping an open heart and mind about it.

I've done the 'human nature' thing you describe with other famous people that I liked/admired. All I can say is my experience this time, with MJ, is totally different and feels like I'm tapping into a previously hidden part of myself. Hard to describe, and maybe I shouldn't have called it 'spiritual', but I'm keeping an open heart and mind about it.

I didn't mean to come across harsh or anything, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

I didn't mean to come across harsh or anything, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

No worries - I'm fine! How about you - are you still having an off-day?

No worries - I'm fine! How about you - are you still having an off-day?

It's just that I've always been a fan and it was strange see the very same people who used to say "You like Michael Jackson? Ewww, Jacko's so creepy!" suddenly go like "You listen to Michael Jackson? Oh me too!" I should be very happy that people give him more respect where it was due, but at the same time I don't tolerate hypocrisy...

I'm feeling much more confident now; thank you. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400

I am not religious either. Well maybe I am in a way, but I don't hang onto one specific religion. To be honest, I don't like religions. I think some people are not totally free in how they live their life because they are not allowed to do or say certain things according to their religion. I think every religious book, whether that is the Bible, Torah, Koran or any other book has good lessons in it. I don't believe every story in it, but that's not important, it's important what you do with the information and the moral of the story. I also think there are things written in the books that are not good, or way too old fashioned. I also don't agree with the wealth of the church. The current pope is forbidding condoms, sitting on his golden chair looking at his gold while people in Africa don't have anything to eat and children are dying from AIDS because their parents are not allowed to have safe sex and don't get the care and medicines they need. I think that is disgusting and that is not meant to hurt other people's feelings, I just critisize the Vatican + its puppet. Men hanged with gold has nothing to do with faith and religion IMO. I think the former pope was a genuine man, I liked that one and I still think they poisoned the man to get rid of him.

I have formed my own believes. A little from every religion and culture I guess and I'm still learning. We should all be free to choose our own path in life and we are all capable of forming our own self being, without having to follow just one leader. If your religion is perfect for you, then that is great, but I know a few religious people that sometimes feel 'trapped' into their religion but can't get out because the family would not approve it. End of story all religions believe in the same thing, a higher power from above that can save and protect humanity, if only people could see that and unite instead of fight. I believe we are the ones that can save and protect others as well as ourselves, if only we would raise our voice and stop waiting.

But to get back on topic because I am way off: I went to a catholic school and I heard almost every religious story there is. I do think it's interesting and I do like to read up on (some of) those historical biblical stories, so I don't really feel left out, but I get where you are coming from. When there are posts that say we should sit back and just trust in God I disagree but I never reply. I think that even if there is a GOD (of which I am still not certain, but always open to new things) we shouldn't let Him work that hard and help Him a hand. I rather do something than wait. WE are the ones that can make a change and I think that if God exists, he would want to let you know that you are the one that can make this world a better place, as long as you believe in your own strength and that of unity of humanity.

Again, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, I am not bashing any religion (quite the contrary) but I do bash the pope because I think he should sell those darn ugly expensive rings and feed the hungry. It always seems to be coming from the small communities, churches and hard working citizens, never from those that should represent their religion, just sayin'.

Don't shoot me.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• I am not religious either. Well maybe I am in a way, but I don't hang onto one specific religion. To be honest, I don't like religions. I think some people are not totally free in how they live their life because they are not allowed to do or say certain things according to their religion. I think every religious book, whether that is the Bible, Torah, Koran or any other book has good lessons in it. I don't believe every story in it, but that's not important, it's important what you do with the information and the moral of the story. I also think there are things written in the books that are not good, or way too old fashioned. I also don't agree with the wealth of the church. The current pope is forbidding condoms, sitting on his golden chair looking at his gold while people in Africa don't have anything to eat and children are dying from AIDS because their parents are not allowed to have safe sex and don't get the care and medicines they need. I think that is disgusting and that is not meant to hurt other people's feelings, I just critisize the Vatican + its puppet. Men hanged with gold has nothing to do with faith and religion IMO. I think the former pope was a genuine man, I liked that one and I still think they poisoned the man to get rid of him.

I have formed my own believes. A little from every religion and culture I guess and I'm still learning. We should all be free to choose our own path in life and we are all capable of forming our own self being, without having to follow just one leader. If your religion is perfect for you, then that is great, but I know a few religious people that sometimes feel 'trapped' into their religion but can't get out because the family would not approve it. End of story all religions believe in the same thing, a higher power from above that can save and protect humanity, if only people could see that and unite instead of fight. I believe we are the ones that can save and protect others as well as ourselves, if only we would raise our voice and stop waiting.

But to get back on topic because I am way off: I went to a catholic school and I heard almost every religious story there is. I do think it's interesting and I do like to read up on (some of) those historical biblical stories, so I don't really feel left out, but I get where you are coming from. When there are posts that say we should sit back and just trust in God I disagree but I never reply. I think that even if there is a GOD (of which I am still not certain, but always open to new things) we shouldn't let Him work that hard and help Him a hand. I rather do something than wait. WE are the ones that can make a change and I think that if God exists, he would want to let you know that you are the one that can make this world a better place, as long as you believe in your own strength and that of unity of humanity.

Again, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, I am not bashing any religion (quite the contrary) but I do bash the pope because I think he should sell those darn ugly expensive rings and feed the hungry. It always seems to be coming from the small communities, churches and hard working citizens, never from those that should represent their religion, just sayin'.

Don't shoot me.

I agree on all you wrote. The thing I mostly oppose to regarding religion is that almost every religion is based on fear. I know many religious people, and I feel very sad when they talk about being scared of going to hell. Most of them live their lives in fear, and as God (and here I mean a Higher Power which I can't give a particular name) is love, this could never have been the intention.

I feel that every person who is a good person at heart knows the ten commandments just by listening to its heart.
  • chappiechappie Posts: 529
    I won't shoot you!
    I think it's a good idea if they would sell the vatican with all the gold, treasures and old paintings and give the money back to the poor people from whom they have been stealing it from over 2000 years.
    Then I think that poverty, hunger and sickness will be very soon out of this world.

Chappie
  • Am I the only non-religious person here? Don't get me wrong, I respect people regardless of whether they believe in God or not and I'm not against religion in any way, but I get lost when a lot of the posts here turn into biblical studies. I don't mind or at least I shouldn't, but I feel like I have nothing to do here if I fail to provide a quote from the Holy Bible and I hate being isolated from the rest of the community. Just throwing it out here...I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Don't feel that way. Though I believe in God and have a religion, I am not a religious fanatic though I tried to be, and have finally admitted it, but felt guilty for years cause of growing up in a religious family. Just be yourself an focus on being a good and knowledgeable person to the best of your abilities, that to me is more important than anything else.