Information about Criminal trial process

curlscurls Posts: 3,111
edited January 1970 in Dr. Conrad Murray
Someone recently posted a brilliantly detailed description of the various hearing stages of a court case, such as Murray's. Now I can't find it! I want to remind myself of how far along in the process it is. I think it's still in the 'preliminary' stages, so I don't expect much from next week's hearing.

If anyone remembers that post and can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. I don't think it's in the recent threads in this section.

Thanks.

Comments

• I don't remember seeing anything like you describe but I'd be more than interested if anyone remembers it. Thanks for bringing this up. I don't expect much to happen next week either. Watch for the garbage cans.
  • reading_onreading_on Posts: 463
    I don't know who posted before but I have this article, which seems to be correct (and I have extensive knowledge on the process) I should say that all trials get drawn out too. If it is serious enough you can bet on at least two years of different stuff.

Criminal trial process
    Learn about the criminal trial process, from the arrest to the verdict, a step by step synopsis of a criminal court trial.

The process of a criminal trial starts when an individual is arrested, or charges are filed for a warrant. Within 2 to 48 hours of initial arrest, the defendant must have his informal arraignment. During this time, the defendant is informed of the charges against him. If the defendant has not already been mirandized, he will be informed of his rights. Even if this has already taken place, he will be informed again of his right to counsel
    . If the charge is not murder, bail will be set. If the charge is for murder, bail may be set, at the discretion of the judge. The defendant will then be notified of when and where to appear next, then will be allowed to leave if bail has been set, or he will be remanded into custody.

The next step is the preliminary hearing, if the case is on the state level. This takes place usually 7 to 10 days after the informal arraignment. The defendant goes before a district justice, whom determines if the case merits going any farther. The prosecution must prove by a prima facie case that the charges are valid. The prosecution will call witnesses and show evidence. Typically the defense will not.

If the case is to be remanded to federal court
    , there is not a preliminary hearing. Instead, the defendant goes before a Grand jury. The grand jury is made up of 23 citizens. Grand jury hearings are private. The public may not attend, nor may reporters be present. In fact, the defendant’s lawyer may not even be present. However, the defendant may leave the courtroom to confer with his attorney
    when he feels the need. Unlike actual trials, guilt may be inferred by the defendant exercising his right not to testify.

Within the next 30 days, the formal arraignment takes place. The filing of Informations, which is a list of those charges accepted in the preliminary trial, are recorded. The defendant may then plead for each charge. Typically, defendants plead not guilty, or stand mute.

After 30 more days pass, the pre-trial conference
    is held. Both the defense and prosecuting lawyers meet with the Judge. While pre-trial motions should have already been filed, most lawyers wait until now to file them. The judge typically allows this to avoid the possibility of an appeal.

This leads to the guilt phase, assuming the defendant decided not to plead “not guilty” during the formal arraignment. Pleas may be open, meaning they have no involvement from the prosecution, or they may be negotiated. If the defense negotiates a plea with the prosecution, the judge must approve it as well. If the defendant pleads 'Guilty', he is admitting to factual guilt. The defendant may also plea 'nolo contendre' which means no contest. This means the defendant will accept any sentence handed down, but does not admit factual guilt. It is no different than a guilty plea for this hearing, but prevents a later trial from using a guilty plea against him. Further, the defendant may also plead conditionally, stating he will plead guilty but wishes to keep certain appeal rights he would usually lose. Finally, the last guilt type please is that of an Alford plea. In an Alford plea the defendant is pleading guilty, but asserting factual innocence. This happens when a defendant says he is innocent, but will plead guilty to a lesser charge to avoid the possibility of a death sentence.

If the defendant had not pleaded guilty, and instead stated he was not guilty, the case would move onto the trial phase. First a jury must be selected. The process of jury selection is known as the Voir Dire. The group from who are eligible to be picked to serve on the jury is known as the Venire. The jury may be kept sequestered, meaning they are isolated from the media while the trial takes place to keep them impartial.

At the next step, the judge will give opening instructions to the jury. This step is optional. However, it usually takes place, since most jurors will not be experts on the law and will need concepts explained.

Next, the opening statements are heard. The point of the opening statements are for the attorneys to form a relationship with the jury, as well as establish credibility. The prosecution goes first, followed by the defense.

The case-in-chief follows. This is the evidentiary section of the trial. The prosecution will call their witnesses, one at a time. For each witness, the prosecution will perform a direct examination. The attorney will attempt to establish the facts of the case with these witnesses, as well as using their testimony to being in physical evidence. During direct examination, the witness may not be led. After the prosecution is done with one of its witnesses, the defense may cross-examine. He will attempt to challenge the credibility of the witness. During a cross-examination, leading the witness is allowed. At this point, the prosecution may re-direct, to try to clear up any issues with the witness the defense may have created. Of course, then the defense may re-cross. This can go on endlessly until both sides are done with a witness, and the next is called.

After the prosecution rests, the jury is excused. At this point, the lawyers will argue over evidence with the judge, and usually the defense will ask for a motion of demurrer. This is a motion to have the case dismissed due to a lack of evidence. If the judge accepts the motion, the defendant is held as not guilty. If the judge does not accept the motion, the Defense attorney may begin his case. He will then call his witnesses, and directly examine them. The rolls of the lawyers have reversed, with the defense directly examining, and the prosecution in the roll of cross-examining.

Once the defense rests, the prosecution will then start its rebuttal. The purpose of this is to comment on evidence used by the defense. For example, if the defense calls a witness to establish an alibi, during rebuttal the prosecution may have a witness testify that the alibi is not true. The defense may then have a surrebuttal, to further argue points. It can go on back and forth infinitely until both sides are satisfied.

Once both sides have finished, closing statements begin. On the state level, the defense goes first, and then the prosecution gives its closing statements. For federal courts, the prosecution gives their statements, followed by the defense, and then the prosecution may give another statement.

The judge will then give closing instructions to the jury on how to proceed. The jury will come back with a verdict once a unanimous 12 to 0 decision is reached. The judge will poll the jury, to verify each juror has come to the same decision. If the verdict is not guilty, the defendant is free to go. If he is found guilty, and he is sentenced to serve time, he will be remanded into custody.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    If the charge is not murder, bail will be set. If the charge is for murder, bail may be set, at the discretion of the judge. The defendant will then be notified of when and where to appear next, then will be allowed to leave if bail has been set, or he will be remanded into custody.

The next step is the preliminary hearing, if the case is on the state level. This takes place usually 7 to 10 days after the informal arraignment.

You don't say.
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    Thanks for that reading_on. Great help!
  • Someone recently posted a brilliantly detailed description of the various hearing stages of a court case, such as Murray's. Now I can't find it! I want to remind myself of how far along in the process it is. I think it's still in the 'preliminary' stages, so I don't expect much from next week's hearing.

If anyone remembers that post and can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. I don't think it's in the recent threads in this section.

Thanks.

I believe this is what you are looking for.

When you read the info on how the procedure is supposed to happen, the 7-10 day timeline to lawfully have a speedy trial does NOT apply when the defendant waives their rights to a speedy trial. Murray waived his rights, so that is why no speedy trial and the preliminary trial can be delayed. This is pure Genius, buying time and stalling... I love it.

Peace
    I just want to point out that august 23 will be the decisive day ..to us if Murray is acquitted of all charges it means Michael is indeed alive and that will be the day when Michael will slowly start to step in again, like a "mini bam"

Um,
    Your NOT going to like THIS answer to much. Sorry but, THIS is how The Court System is done when it is done proper. Murray is NOT going to be found NOT guilty on This next Court hearing.

Peace

Murder trials are quite complex and time-consuming, but they are no different from other criminal trials. In fact, all criminal trials follow a basic yet rigid schedule.
    While murder trials elicit its fair share of media and public attention, not too many people are aware of the bells and whistles of a murder trial.

"There is a lot of procedure involved with murder trials and criminal matters in general," said Szu-Pei Lu, a trial attorney in Los Angeles County. "There are no differences between murder trials and criminal trials. There is nothing particularly special about murder trials, procedurally. Overall, it is a rather intricate system."

Indeed, there are several elements that make up a murder/criminal trial. Below are the elements that, as a whole, make up the entire criminal trial.

Arrest and murder charges
    In order for there to be a murder trial, there must be an arrest and a dead person. Once the arrest is made, the arresting agency - police department or sheriff - must book the person in custody and charge them with murder. There are varying degrees of murder that someone can be charged with - first or second degree murder, voluntary or involuntary manslaughter. Once a person is charge with murder, those charges must be filed with the court.

Informal arraignment
    The arraignment is the first court appearance for the murder suspect.
    "This is the appearance where charges are formally read to the defendant," Lu said.
    If not previously set, the court will set a bail amount, though it is set at the discretion of the judge in a murder trial.

Preliminary hearing
    About seven to 10 days after the informal arraignment, the preliminary hearing takes place. This is the stage where the District Attorney's office will decide whether there is a case and if it is worth going to trial with the available evidence.
    "At the preliminary hearing, the prosecution must prove that the murder charges are valid," added Lu.
    To prove the charges are valid, the prosecutor will generally call witnesses and present evidence to the judge in a court hearing. The defense, alternatively, will not call any witnesses.

Formal arraignment and plea
    As in all criminal matters, the murder suspect will be offered the opportunity to enter a formal plea within 30 days of the preliminary hearing. The defendant may plead in one of three ways - guilty, not guilty or no contest. When a defendant pleads no contest, it is treated the same as a guilty plea. However, if the murder defendant would not be liable in civil court - wrongful death suit, for example.
    The defendant may also "stand mute," which is treated the same as a not guilty plea. In this situation, the court will enter a not guilty plea on behalf of the defendant, where he or she elects not to speak at the arraignment.

Pretrial conference
    Once the plea is formally entered, the next stage of a murder trial is the pre-trial
    conference. At this hearing, both the defense and the prosecutor meets with the judge to discuss the case. Attorneys on both sides use this meeting to file pre-trial motions.

Bench or jury trial
    After the pre-trial conference, a determination will be made whether the defendant's trial will be heard by the judge or a jury. A "bench trial" is where the judge decides both the facts and the law. However, in a "jury trial," only the law is decided by the judge, while twelve jurors determine the validity of the facts and evidence. Not all murder trials are jury trials.
    "Contrary to public opinion, a jury trial is not automatic," Lu added.

Voir dire (jury selection)
    Most jury cases in California are heard in front of a jury. If a jury trial is selected, then the jurors must be selected. Days before the trial, a panel of jurors are randomly selected by the court. Once the panel is selected, the judge and both attorneys will ask each potential juror a set of questions in a process called "voir dire."
    Through voir dire questioning, a determination is made whether each juror will be fair and impartial.

If, for some reason, an attorney does not believe a juror will be fair and impartial, then the lawyer may challenge that juror and have him or her removed from the pool. There must be a cause for most challenges.
    In certain situations, the defense or prosecutor may use a limited number of "peremptory challenges" to remove a juror without cause or explanation.

Trial begins
    Once the jurors are selected in a jury trial, the murder trial will usually start the next day that court is in session. Before the lawyers present their respective cases, the jurors are informed that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty, and they must maintain that presumption until all the evidence has been presented. If it is a bench trial, the attorneys will make their arguments directly to the judge. When the trial begins, the prosecutor makes the first set of arguments, followed by the defense.

Opening statements
    Whether or not it is a jury trial, both the prosecution and defense will present their opening statements. During opening statements, no arguments are made. Instead, attorneys on both sides are merely stating what the evidence will show.

Burden of proof
    During the course of trial, the prosecutor's objective is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the alleged crime.
    Conversely, the defendant generally does not have the burden to prove any elements of the case - though this is not absolute.

Witnesses
    As soon as opening statements are completed, the prosecution is given the opportunity to call its first witness and commence with his or her arguments against the alleged murderer/criminal.
    Witness are sworn in by the clerk of the court and make statements on the stand about an issue related to the trial. There are many types of witnesses - eyewitnesses, experts, investigators, the defendant's family members and, sometimes, the defendant themselves.
    A witness will go through two sets of questioning - direct examination and cross-examination. Direct examination is when the witness is asked questions by the attorney that called them to the stand.

Cross-examination takes place after direct examination, where the opposing attorney has an opportunity to ask the witness questions.
    A witness may also face re-direct examination or re-cross examination.
    The extent will depend upon when attorneys on both sides feel there are no more questions to ask the witness.

A few tidbits about witnesses:
    • Witnesses remain on-call throughout the trial until excused by the judge; • While they are on-call, witnesses remain under oath; • Finally, witnesses may not attend any portion of the case other than when they are called to the witness stand.

Objections
    During witness testimony, it is common to hear an objection to a question asked by opposing counsel or an answer given by the witness.
    There are hundreds of possible objections. When an attorney objects to a question or answer, the judge will either approve (sustain) or deny (overrule) the objection. If denied, then the objection is ignored and the questioning may continue as if nothing happened. However, if the objection is approved, then the opposing attorney's question or witnesses answer is stricken from the record and the jury or judge is not allowed to consider that testimony when it makes its decision.

Rebuttal
    After the defense has presented its case, the prosecution has a chance to response, or rebut, to arguments or evidence presented by the defendant. It is possible for the defense to respond to the prosecutors rebuttal, though both sides are not allowed more than one rebuttal.

Closing statements
    After both sides present their evidence and make their rebuttals, the prosecutor and defendant will make closing statements, or a summary of each side's case.
    In a jury trial, once closing statements are made, the jurors are given specific instructions on how to deliberate and analyze the case.
    Conversely, in a bench trial, the judge will take the case into his chambers and make a determination on his own.

Verdict
    Once a jury deliberates the case, a result may or may not be reached.
    There are three possible outcomes - guilty, not guilty or hung jury. A hung jury occurs when all 12 jurors cannot agree on an outcome. A guilty or not guilty verdict can only be reached by a unanimous jury.
    However, in a bench trial, the judge will return a verdict of guilty or not guilty, since the judge is the only person "voting" during deliberations.

Hung jury
    If the jurors cannot reach a verdict, they will be discharged by the judge, and the prosecutor must decide whether they will dismiss the charges or seek a new trial.

Acquittal
    If all twelve jurors vote in favor of the defendant, they return a verdict of not guilty. An acquittal generally happens when the jurors believe that the prosecution's case did not prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Once a defendant is acquitted, the case is over. A prosecutor cannot appeal an acquittal.

Conviction
    Conversely, a jury may unanimously believe that the prosecution did prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt on at least one charge, therefore returning a guilty verdict. If there are multiple charges, the jury may return verdicts of guilty on some charges but not guilty of others.
    A convicted defendant does have the right to appeal the decision or request a new trial, though guilty verdicts are rarely overturned.
    "Once convicted, the defendant has between a 3 and 5 percent chance of winning an appeal," Lu said. "The defendant must prove that the judge or jury violated a law or was otherwise unfair, but this is not easy to do. It's a pretty high bar."

Sentencing
    Once a guilty verdict is reached, the final stage of the trial (aside from appeals) is sentencing. This hearing usually takes place a few weeks after the trial is over, and is a bench trial. Based upon the charges and the gravity of the crime, the judge will make a decision about how long the defendant's jail time will be.
    Oftentimes, the defendant is allowed to present mitigating circumstances and have people speak on his behalf for the judge to factor into the sentencing.

Parties involved
    During the trial, there are several people who are mainstays throughout the entire process. Most people are aware of the judge, attorneys, jurors and witnesses. However, there are also court reporters who maintains a transcript of what is said on the record during the entire trial, from arraignment to sentencing.
    There is also a bailiff, who is generally an armed officer or deputy who "stands guard" over the courtroom. When the defendant is in custody during trial, it is the bailiff's responsibility to escort that person in and out of the courtroom.
    Sitting next to the judge is a clerk, who usually performs the administrative functions of the courtroom, such as maintaining the calendar, answering phone calls and filing motions. The clerk also swears in all witnesses.
    In some instances, there is also an interpreter for witnesses or defendants who do not speak or understand English.

Timeline
    While defendants theoretically have the right to a speedy trial, most murder trials take up to two years to complete, primarily due to scheduling issues with the court or attorneys. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->

Now to figure out what stage Murray is in. August 23rd date is?

TIMELINE:

<!-- m -->http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/08/mic ... cnnSTCText<!-- m -->
    Dr. Conrad Murray, personal physician to Michael Jackson, was charged Monday with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the pop star's death last summer.

A criminal complaint filed earlier in the day alleged that Murray "did unlawfully, and without malice, kill Michael Joseph Jackson."

Murray turned himself in shortly before 4 p.m. at a branch courthouse near Los Angeles International Airport. He pleaded not guilty during a brief hearing before Judge Keith L. Schwartz.

The judge set bail at $75,000, despite arguments from prosecutor David Walgren that Murray is a flight risk.

The judge refused to suspend Murray's medical license as a term of his bond, but he did order him not to use any anesthesia on patients.
    <!-- m -->http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/05/con ... index.html<!-- m -->
    The appointment of a new judge to preside over "the criminal trial of Dr. Conrad Murray delayed for two months" a decision on if Michael Jackson's last doctor can keep his California medical license. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->

Jackson's parents and three siblings came to court Monday to hear the state medical board argue for Murray's license suspension, but Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor put the hearing off until June 14. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->

"The California medical board" wants the court to ban him from practicing medicine as a condition of his $75,000 bail, "which was set by another judge when Murray pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter at his February arraignment." <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->

At the time, a judge prohibited him from using any anesthesia on patients, but refused the prosecution's request to suspend his license.

<!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: --> The state is trying again with a new judge in charge of the case. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->
    <!-- m -->http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/06/con ... index.html<!-- m -->
    <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: --> The California Medical Board will start its own process to strip Dr. Conrad Murray of his medical license, state Attorney General Jerry Brown said Tuesday. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->

The board had asked the courts to suspend Murray's license as a condition of his bond on a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson. But a judge this week delayed a decision on that request until June.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, who was chosen just Monday to preside over Murray's trial, decided he would not be ready to consider the medical board's request until June 14.

At a news conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday morning, Brown said the medical board will go ahead with its own investigation and proceedings to take Murray's license. Brown's department provides lawyers to represent the medical board.
    THE NEW JUDGE:
    Judge Michael Pastor set August 23 as the date for the start of "the preliminary hearing" for Murray, which the prosecutor said could last a week. <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->
    <!-- m -->http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/14/cal ... index.html<!-- m -->
    <!-- s:geek: -->:geek:<!-- s:geek: -->
    Murray has been charged on Feb. 8 and is now moving onto The Preliminary Phase. The other court dates were to try and suspend his medical license while he is going through the trial of Manslaughter, it is a seperate issue brought about by the Attorney General and the California medical board.
    <!-- s:ugeek: -->:ugeek:<!-- s:ugeek: -->
    Peace

The above quotes are from this thread: <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=72&t=12893<!-- l -->
  • reading_onreading_on Posts: 463
    If the charge is not murder, bail will be set. If the charge is for murder, bail may be set, at the discretion of the judge. The defendant will then be notified of when and where to appear next, then will be allowed to leave if bail has been set, or he will be remanded into custody.

The next step is the preliminary hearing, if the case is on the state level. This takes place usually 7 to 10 days after the informal arraignment.

You don't say.

Like I said the time line is really not important. Please ignore that, this is no proof of any hoax. They always say 7 to 10 days and it is ALWAYS longer. Just look at the steps and ignore the time line.
  • karen924karen924 Posts: 234

You don't say.

Like I said the time line is really not important. Please ignore that, this is no proof of any hoax. They always say 7 to 10 days and it is ALWAYS longer. Just look at the steps and ignore the time line.

You are so correct. Mu husband is working on a murder case that the defendant was charged in 2009 and the defense just got a 2011 trial date. Things are always dragged out in the court system.