How Forensic medicine deals with deaths by drugs

mjj_fanmjj_fan Posts: 311
edited January 1970 in Medical Discussion
Found this article , will give better insight of forensic medicine

<!-- m -->http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1680257-overview<!-- m -->

Comments

• curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    Thanks for posting this interesting article. I thought this bit was useful to hear:

Blood, urine, bile, ocular fluid, gastric contents, liver, and brain tissue can all be useful specimens. Peripheral blood (femoral or subclavian) specimens are optimal for postmortem toxicologic quantification; urine is the primary body fluid used for drug screening. Specimens need not necessarily be tested automatically, but the best practice is to at least collect and hold the specimens until completion of the autopsy report and death certificate. Sometimes, additional history does not become known until after the body is released, which is then too late to collect samples.

So, clarification that there's no point in trying to get new samples from MJ's body now - other than to make a darned good bit in a movie that is!
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    MJJ_fan thanks to publish. The pathologist can have conserved samples of the fluids?
  • mjj_fanmjj_fan Posts: 311
    @ Curls and Paula-c , You are most welcome , yes they DO freeze the samples ! but for how long ,i dont know myself and would they show traces of Propofol still ,thats the question , someone from the forum misinterpret what Dr Murray and his lawyer asked for its called litigation package and they have right to demand for it unlike what was grossly misunderstood by most of members here including myself ,i knew there is no chance to get the fresh samples now , like I said in my earlier post , the sensible approach was to request for it at the time of autopsy or soon after release of report , it was known to Dr murray teams he had been charged with involuntary man slaughter whats the point of much delay ?

Below is the link from Amercian Board of Toxicology and 2006 guidelines 11-10 clearly define Litigation package , If any lawyer from the forum would elaborate it further .Godbless you all

<!-- m -->http://www.soft-tox.org/docs/Guidelines ... 0Final.pdf<!-- m -->