The coincidence test

GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
edited January 1970 in TIAI
Seems useless, but let's see:

My prediction:

Date: Wednesday September 22, 2010 when the stock market closes for the day.
Dow = .62; Nasdaq = .38; S&P 500 = .45
the six-digit number is 623,845

because there are 100 possible combinations for the two decimals of each index, we have one chance in a million (100*100*100) to obtain this six digits number.

Comments

• good luck! hope you do better than I did <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Who knows....let's see if coincidences really happen <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Maybe we can prove TS wrong <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    Who knows....let's see if coincidences really happen <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Maybe we can prove TS wrong <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Actually the more people do the test and fail the more it will prove that TS is right. If you find the 6 digits that would be a coincidence, unless you can find them several times in a row.
    I will try in the days to come just for fun. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • I know TS is right, but still there's one chance in a million ....let's wait and see <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

what were the chances Michael Jackson to have 7 letters in both his first and last name and another 7 in his name if you add together the numbers which correspond to every letter in his name?!

maybe 1 in 100.000.000 millions, I don't know how to calculate the chances.
  • well, I was sure it won't match, and it didn't <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    dow was 0.31
    nasdaq was 0.55
    sp500 was 0.28

maybe tomorrow <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

That's why I don't buy lottery tickets....never
  • That's why I don't buy lottery tickets....never
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> no lottery for me

I think we can make as much guesses as we want because every day, just like at lottery, the games are made again, we start from point zero every day, so still it's one chance in a million to guess every day.