Elvis song on radio station

GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
edited January 1970 in TIAI
This is just to share a smile with you.

Some weeks ago, our regional radio station started to play Elvis songs and I was really astonished that they started out of nowhere with Elvis songs.

I had stumbled already over the obvious distinct MJ song selection they are playing since June 25 which does consist of only a few songs they repeat over and over again - and it's not "Billy Jean" or "Thriller" thus not the "biggest hits" but e.g. "You are not alone", "Beat it", "TDCAU", "Heal the World". Hmmm.

Today this specific Elvis song (which comes up daily now) caught my attention since I did NOT remember it being a big success.
A Little Less Conversation
A little less conversation, a little more action please
All this aggravation aint satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark

Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
Satisfy me baby

Baby close your eyes and listen to the music
Drifting through a summer breeze
Its a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
Come along with me and put your mind at ease

Satisfy me baby

Come on baby Im tired of talking
Grab your coat and lets start walking
Come on, come on
Come on, come on
Come on, come on
Don't procrastinate, don't articulate
Girl it's getting late, gettin upset waitin around

Satisfy me baby

<!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:geek: -->:geek:<!-- s:geek: --> <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: --> <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

This is what wiki says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Less_Conversation
Junkie XL Remix
"A Little Less Conversation"
Single by Elvis Presley vs. JXL
from the album Radio JXL: A Broadcast from the Computer Hell Cabin and ELV1S
Released May 2002 (UK)
Format CD Single
Genre Big beat
Length 3:30 (Radio Edit)
6:09 (Extended Remix)
6:22 (Album Version)
Writer(s) Mac Davis and Billy Strange
Producer JXL/Ad Bradley
Certification Platinum (BPI)

In 2001, the original was picked by David Holmes for inclusion on the film Oceans Eleven. Due to the popularity it gained after its inclusion on the soundtrack it was remixed by Junkie XL

In 2002, the TV special version of "A Little Less Conversation" was remixed by Junkie XL for the NIKE Football World Cup advertising campaign. A single, credited to "Elvis vs. JXL", was issued and went on to become a Number 1 hit in over 20 countries. At about the same time, a compilation of Presley's U.S. Number 1 chart hits, entitled ELV1S 30 #1 Hits, was being prepared for release. At the last minute, "A Little Less Conversation (Remix Version)" was added as the album's 31st track just before its release in October 2002. The full 6:09 version was edited slightly, extended to 6:22 and this version was featured on the US version of JXL's 2004 album Radio JXL: A Broadcast from the Computer Hell Cabin, but it was not re-released as a single off the album.

The remix version was subsequently used as the title song for the NBC TV series Las Vegas, and has also been featured in the films Jackass Number Two and Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.

More info on the single:
http://www.elvisnews.com/shop.aspx/a-little-less-conversation/364

And this is what the cover looks like (including all kinds of dots LOL):
cdsingle_alittlessconversat.jpg

Junkie XL (Xpanding LImits):
Tom Holkenborg (born December 8, 1967 in Lichtenvoorde, Gelderland), better known Junkie XL or JXL, is a Dutch musician. He uses the name JXL in cases where the term "Junkie" might cause offense. XL is for "Xpanding Limits".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkie_XL

Would there be any logical reason to play an 8 year old Elvis remix #1 hit on a daily basis these weeks when they don't play MJ's #1 hits?

My jacket has lots of flowers on it. And buttons. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

L.O.V.E.

Comments

• trublutrublu Posts: 1,011
    I always thought this song was quite a big success?

I think the remixed version you talked about revived it somewhat:

[youtube:lyqmquwa]
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    Thanks for posting the vid.
    Thinking of Elvis' success songs, this one would never have crossed my mind.

There are more interesting aspects to this song:
    In June 1968, Presley re-recorded the song for the soundtrack of Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special, with the intent of performing it during the program, possibly as part of the show's medley of film songs featured. Ultimately, it was decided not to use this recording, and the song was dropped from the planned special. The newer version transposed the A-major recording of three months earlier into E major and featured a vocal, now with heavy reverb, in which Elvis performed an octave leap between verses, with backup vocals from The Blossoms.[1] This new version was not officially released by RCA until the 1990s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Less_Conversation

A change of key for a finished recorded song is unusual and is giving a complete new expression of music harmony to a song. A change from A-major to E-major is representing a change by a perfect fifth (which consists of 7 half tones).
    There are various ways to train the ear to recognize a perfect fifth. One is to sing the first five notes of the major scale in solfege: do re mi fa sol; the first and last notes form a perfect fifth. Another is to sing the first four notes of the familiar tune Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, which likewise outline a perfect fifth.
    Additionally, the opening of Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra (used in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey), the Wicked Witch of the West's Soldiers' March (Oh-Ee-Oh-Yo-Oh-Yo!) in Harold Arlen's The Wizard of Oz and the opening of the Star Wars theme prominently feature the interval.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_fifth
  • That song was not as big for Elvis as some of his other hits, but it was still a good seller. And the remix was a big success. It was being played on the radio all the time and I remember it being on at least one commercial at that time too and thinking how cool it was that Elvis' songs were getting such good promotion and reception at that time. I still hear that song on the radio all the time. Not everyday or anything, but a lot. It's catchy and it's timeless.