Is Lisa Marie Presley really opposing Eliza Presley's lawsui

Is Lisa Marie Presley really opposing Eliza Presley's lawsuit?

No one ever said it was easy trying to rewrite the history books. But that's exactly what Eliza Presley's lawsuit seeks to do. She has been battling for two years in court, trying to prove that Vernon Presley (father of Elvis) really is her father too, based on DNA evidence she's gathered. That same DNA evidence also would show that Elvis is alive.

6a01053645c43a970b0133f513ce3e970b-250wi

So it's no wonder that there are people desperate to stop her. Elvis Presley Enterprises makes 55 million dollars a year (as of 2009), which would be in serious jeopardy if Elvis was proven to actually be living. Elvis makes a regular appearance on Forbes' annual list of top-earning deceased celebrities.

Clearly, someone is trying to oppose Eliza's lawsuit in court and stop her from trying to show the world that she is who she says she is and that Elvis is alive.

As I discussed in my last article on the case, an attorney filed a response on behalf of "the named defendant". He asked the court to throw out the case on legal grounds, rather than challenging the facts (and DNA) supporting Eliza's claims. I pointed out in my prior article that this legal filing was odd and could lead to an interesting twist to the case.

It looks like that prediction was correct.

The only "named defendant" in the case is Lisa Marie Presley-Lockwood (pictured above, with her husband). There are no other known heirs of Vernon Presley. But, does this attorney actually represent Lisa Marie? Did she truly hire him and authorize him to oppose Eliza in court? If so, why did the papers he filed never mention her by name, even once?

Eliza Presley and her attorney don't think he actually does represent Lisa Marie. In fact, they have good reason to believe that Lisa Marie did not hire this attorney, does not oppose Eliza's lawsuit, and, in fact, knows that Eliza is actually telling the truth.

Accordingly, Eliza Presley's lawyer filed this Motion on October 8th asking the court to "stay" (or put a hold on) the motion filed by this attorney to permit her the opportunity to take discovery into the motion. What does that mean? This letter she sent to the attorney who filed the motion against Eliza's case explains what's really going on.

The letter asks him to "please definitively identify each and every person whom you represent". It also states:

If you assert that Lisa Marie Presley-Lockwood is your client, please provide a copy of your contract with her or any other document which evidences that she has retained you in this matter.

This letter was faxed to the attorney who is opposing Eliza's claims more than a week ago. Eliza's attorney asserts that under Tennessee law, she is entitled to see proof that this lawyer really does represent Lisa Marie. So far, there has been no response to the letter.

Lawyers do not have the power to intercede in lawsuits unless they are authorized to do so on behalf of a client who is a party to the case. If Eliza and her lawyer are correct, and Lisa Marie did not actually hire this attorney, then the opposition to the lawsuit will be disregarded and Eliza will win by default. I explained in a prior article what happens in that instance.

So what is going on with the attorney who filed this motion ... and whoever actually did hire him? If one were to ask the King, I'd have to imagine his response would be that there's a ... Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On.

<!-- m -->http://www.probatelawyerblog.com/2010/1 ... wsuit.html<!-- m -->

Comments

• Very, VERY interesting. Glad to hear more about this case, I was beginning to wonder about it...

I am a bit confused though, if it wasn't Lisa Marie, then who could it be? Can just anyone file this kind of claim or would they have to be in the family? I'm new to all this law stuff! What would it mean if it wasn't LMP?
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Very, VERY interesting. Glad to hear more about this case, I was beginning to wonder about it...

I am a bit confused though, if it wasn't Lisa Marie, then who could it be? Can just anyone file this kind of claim or would they have to be in the family? I'm new to all this law stuff! What would it mean if it wasn't LMP?

Estate lawyer that makes big bucks each year, Priscilla?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    I think it could be Priscilla as well.
  • Or Elvis himself!!!!
  • Very, VERY interesting. Glad to hear more about this case, I was beginning to wonder about it...

Estate lawyer that makes big bucks each year, Priscilla

one does get the impression that lisa and pris don't really get on that well and that mommy dearest is running the show.
  • EmtygaEmtyga Posts: 14
    Or Elvis himself!!!!

I don't believe this is the case.. it wouldn't make any sense.

Just a reminder:
    Even now, Elvis/Jesse is not interested in the spotlight; he wants to remain in privacy. At least for Elvis, the concept of “bam” refers to the final court ruling on Eliza’s case, and/or the media reporting that he is still alive (rather than Elvis himself performing again, or even being seen by the public).

Link: <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=0&t=11061&p=183996#p183996<!-- l -->

P.S: TS, you are fast! Always watching us <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • Or Elvis himself!!!!

I don't believe this is the case.. it wouldn't make any sense.

Just a reminder:
    Even now, Elvis/Jesse is not interested in the spotlight; he wants to remain in privacy. At least for Elvis, the concept of “bam” refers to the final court ruling on Eliza’s case, and/or the media reporting that he is still alive (rather than Elvis himself performing again, or even being seen by the public).

Link: <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=0&t=11061&p=183996#p183996<!-- l -->

P.S: TS, you are fast! Always watching us <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

Wow!
    Perhaps my comment elicited the response from TS???? Great. As always it is good to hear from him!
  • Hmmmm very very interesting!! Is there any way of finding out how long this lawyer has to respond to the letter??
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    I smell the good flavor of victory....
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    If lawyer is not evidence that Lisa Marie, if it makes sense that Priscilla is behind everything, money, money ... <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->
  • sailyasailya Posts: 82
    Thank you Mo <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
    Keep watching!
  • ...But I understand that Eliza has got no financial claim on the Estate so any filing against her case may not necessarily be "Elvis Estate" money related.

It is difficult to figure out whether an "Elvis is alive Big News" would have a positive or negative impact on the revenue generated by the Estate as there is no precedent of anything like this ever taking place! If I had to take a "bet", I would however think, the financial impact in this case may be positive as a lot of people would discover/rediscover Elvis (Meant in terms of his music/films...etc).

This lawyer may not even be working for anybody related directly to Elvis, it could be TPTB not wanting such a News to ever come out --- I guess it would be a "Blink" for too many people to their liking! Just a thought!

I guess we will know soon enough, how real this all is - Still no reporting of the news in any major media channel - this is also interesting! Very interesting!!! - There will be a reason why they don't want to know ---> What is it?

With L.O.V.E
  • JukeBoxJukeBox Posts: 378
    great to see an update about Eliza's case. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Wow i really wonder who's trying to stop all of it. Does Priscilla have any rights to oppose Eliza's case? But I kinda thought she dropped hints on talkshows that Elvis is still alive.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• becbec Posts: 6,387
    ...But I understand that Eliza has got no financial claim on the Estate so any filing against her case may not necessarily be "Elvis Estate" money related.

It is difficult to figure out whether an "Elvis is alive Big News" would have a positive or negative impact on the revenue generated by the Estate as there is no precedent of anything like this ever taking place! If I had to take a "bet", I would however think, the financial impact in this case may be positive as a lot of people would discover/rediscover Elvis (Meant in terms of his music/films...etc).

This lawyer may not even be working for anybody related directly to Elvis, it could be TPTB not wanting such a News to ever come out --- I guess it would be a "Blink" for too many people to their liking! Just a thought!

I guess we will know soon enough, how real this all is - Still no reporting of the news in any major media channel - this is also interesting! Very interesting!!! - There will be a reason why they don't want to know ---> What is it?

With L.O.V.E

Sure for the first year and then taper off after that. Right now the estate is making a solid and predictable 50 million a year. That's good income likely to last from now until... a long time from now. They'd probably prefer a reliable 50 mil year after year instead of a big peak in income (following a "live" announcement) followed by a drop as people lose interest and move on. A really old celebrity is not as romantic and fascinating as a dead one.

Additionally, Elvis being "not dead" would shake up whoever is running the estate as he would presumably come back and assume control. This is not a choice, it is a legality. The estate can no longer function, legally, as an entity if the owner is not dead.
  • angelshadowangelshadow Posts: 8,257
    Thanks!!! Great!!! By the way, I love the design <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • loyalfanloyalfan Posts: 1,641
    wow this is really interesting developments here......................
  • SinderellaSinderella Posts: 1,334
    Saw this on facebook,she posted it out early hours think it was.
    Definitley one to watch,i'll add it to the 'to watch list' which right now...is longer than the length of my living room floor.
  • ...But I understand that Eliza has got no financial claim on the Estate so any filing against her case may not necessarily be "Elvis Estate" money related.

With L.O.V.E

Sure for the first year and then taper off after that. Right now the estate is making a solid and predictable 50 million a year. That's good income likely to last from now until... a long time from now. They'd probably prefer a reliable 50 mil year after year instead of a big peak in income (following a "live" announcement) followed by a drop as people lose interest and move on. A really old celebrity is not as romantic and fascinating as a dead one.

Additionally, Elvis being "not dead" would shake up whoever is running the estate as he would presumably come back and assume control. This is not a choice, it is a legality. The estate can no longer function, legally, as an entity if the owner is not dead.

In 2005, CKX inc. bought 85% of the rights to the name, image and likeness of Elvis Presley, and the operations of Graceland, from the trust of Lisa Marie Presley.
    So I guess those would be a Key stakeholder here!
    Elvis Presley Enterprises
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_Enterprises

Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. (EPE) is a corporate entity created by "The Elvis Presley Trust" to conduct business and manage its assets, including Graceland. EPE's business extends far beyond the Graceland operation, however, and includes worldwide licensing of Elvis-related products and ventures, the development of Elvis-related music, film, video, television and stage productions, the ongoing development of EPE's Internet presence, the management of significant music publishing assets and more.

Origin
    EPE was originally set up in 1954 by Elvis Presley's then manager, Bob Neal, to exploit what he hoped would be profitable merchandise opportunities. After Elvis signed with Colonel Tom Parker in 1955, EPE became a part of Parker's operations and ceased to officially exist.
    After Elvis' death on August 16, 1977 at Graceland, his will appointed his father, Vernon Presley, as executor and trustee. The beneficiaries of the trust were Vernon, Elvis' grandmother Minnie Mae Presley, and his nine year old daughter Lisa Marie Presley. After Vernon's death in 1979, Elvis' ex-wife Priscilla Presley was named as one of three trustees by his will along with the National Bank of Commerce in Memphis, which was the bank Elvis and Vernon had done business with, and Joseph Hanks, who had been Elvis and Vernon's accountant for a number of years. With Minnie Mae's passing in 1980, Lisa Marie became the only surviving beneficiary named in Elvis's will.
    [edit]Parker's dealings

Parker's Dealings
    Following Elvis' death, Parker had set up a licensing operation with Factors Etc. Inc, to control Presley merchandise and keep a steady income supporting his estate. Due to an ill-advised agreement between Parker and Elvis which gave RCA sole ownership of all his recording royalties prior to 1973, the estate was relying heavily on the income from Factors Etc. Inc. However, because Parker was still entitled to 50% of all Elvis' income, and after taxes were taken off, the overall amount going towards the upkeep of the estate was less than $1 million a year.
    By 1980 the cost of running the estate was estimated to be as much as $500,000 a year. Priscilla and the Trust were prepared to let Parker continue to handle Elvis's business affairs, and petitioned the court to that end. However, Judge Joseph Evans, aware that Lisa Marie Presley was still a minor, appointed attorney Blanchard E. Tual to investigate Parker's management. His preliminary finding was that Parker's management deal of 50% was extortionate compared to the industry average of 15-20%. He also noted that Parker's handling of Elvis's business affairs during his lifetime, including the decision to sell off past royalties to RCA for $5.4 million in 1973, were "unethical" and poorly handled. During a second, more detailed investigation, all earnings were paid directly to the Trust instead of Parker. By this time, with the IRS demanding almost $15 million in taxes, the estate was facing bankruptcy.
    On August 14, 1981 Judge Evans ordered EPE to sue Parker for mismanagement. In response to this, Parker countersued. The case against Parker was settled out of court in 1983, with the estate paying him $2 million, and the termination of his involvement in any Elvis related earnings for five years. He was also ordered to hand over any Elvis audio recordings or visual images that he owned.

Opening of Graceland
    During the court case Priscilla was advised to sell Graceland to avoid bankruptcy. She decided against this because she had no plans to sell off her daughters first home. In late 1981, the estate hired Jack Soden, at the time a Missouri investment counselor, to plan and execute the opening of Graceland to the public and oversee the total operation. Graceland opened for tours on June 7, 1982.
    Interest in Graceland was such that EPE decided to expand its operation. In 1983, they acquired the shopping center plaza across the street from Graceland. The plaza was built in the sixties, and had been a typical suburban strip shopping center. However, after Elvis' death, it became filled with Elvis souvenir shops, which carried mostly bootleg items not licensed by the Presley Estate. In 1993, Graceland purchased the property and all the shops and attractions in what is now known as Graceland Plaza are owned and operated by EPE.
    By the mid-1980's EPE was interested in securing the rights to Elvis' image and intellectual property. Following many court cases against business and private parties, EPE helped to push through new copyright and trademark legislation in the United States.
    In 1991, Graceland was placed on the National Register of Historic Places,and in 1999 EPE purchased and redeveloped what became The Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel.
    According to Sean O'Neal, "Elvis is a cultural icon today, but he didn't become that way simply because of his talent and good looks. There was money to be made ... so a company was founded to create this icon, and it has controlled his image ... " The author describes EPE as a "well-run marketing machine" that runs on tight regulation of Elvis's images and lawsuits, when necessary. EPE, for instance, "absolutely refuses to license a product picturing an overweight Elvis." Since 1979 "EPE has filed more than a hundred lawsuits to assert the estate's exclusive right to Elvis's name and likeness."
    Later, EPE was wholly owned by the "Elvis Presley Trust" and Elvis' daughter, Lisa Marie Presley until February 2005, when Robert F.X. Sillerman and his new media and entertainment company "CKX, Inc." acquired an 85% interest in Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc., including its physical and intellectual properties. Lisa Marie Presley retains a 15% ownership in the company and continues to be involved, as does her mother Priscilla Presley. Lisa Marie retained sole ownership of the mansion itself, as well as her father's personal effects.
    The company endeavors to turn Elvis Presley's former estate into an international tourist destination. Graceland is the second most visited private residence in the United States, behind the White House.

With L.O.V.E
  • Interesting.....
  • BeTheChangeBeTheChange Posts: 1,569
    Very interesting and great to see an update of Eliza's case. Maybe this is another instance of there being 'no coincidences'...meaning, perhaps the delay is intentional. TS has repeatedly pointed to a strong connection between MJ and Elvis and even hung out the possibility of there being a 'double bam'. If that is the case, then maybe the delay is due to MJ or Elvis not yet 'ready' for their bam...maybe we're still in the simmering stage (although it sometimes feels like the pie is not only done but it's charring) <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

With L.O.V.E.
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    IDK, but I have a gut feeling that LMP is more involved in this hoax than we think and I also believe that she loved MJ and he loved her back but for some reasons that relation did not work and I get the impression, even if I don´t know her personally, that it could have been because of other issues non related to her really. Who knows! may be too much pressure from her family, idk.

All this makes me think that LMP is not opposing to Eliza´s case to be solved. I mean, that woman, Eliza, just wants to prove that Vernon is her father. Why would LMP opposed to that?
    Regardless what many people may think about LMP, I see her as a warm hearted woman, really, may be confused in the past or troubled for whatever reasons, but I can´t perceive her as a bad person with "hidden agendas" to harm anyone.

So, no, LMP is not opposing Eliza´s lawsut imo.
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    Or maybe Gema Michael and LMP never married, they were only good friends, we have seen many legal personal documents Michael, we have not seen the marriage certificate, what we saw was an affidavit signed in the Dominican Republic and in that document says marriage was not made.
    Or maybe Gema Michael and LMP never married, they were only good friends, we have seen many legal personal documents Michael, we have not seen the marriage certificate, what we saw was an affidavit signed in the Dominican Republic and in that document says marriage was not made.

I think that's absolutely a possibility. That marriage was one of the most unromantic ones I have ever seen, wasn't Mike chewing gum or something? I have the feeling that everytime I see gum-chewing, something is made up... Just as with the garbage cans.