YouTube phenomenon

truthprevailstruthprevails Posts: 878
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
I noticed that YouTube now asks us to connect our YouTube accounts to our email addresses and log in (on YouTube) using the passwords of those email accounts! I find this disturbing, because we're in effect disclosing our identities AND making it really easy for the people "in charge" to check our emails. The Internet seems to be losing its anonymity, and I think we must be aware of this phenomenon and wary of its implications.

Has anyone else noticed this? <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

Comments

• I noticed that YouTube now asks us to connect our YouTube accounts to our email addresses and log in (on YouTube) using the passwords of those email accounts! I find this disturbing, because we're in effect disclosing our identities AND making it really easy for the people "in charge" to check our emails. The Internet seems to be losing its anonymity, and I think we must be aware of this phenomenon and wary of its implications.

YES! I noticed that not too long ago. You can also sign in with your facebook or email account on a lot of websites to leave comments. And a lot of times I will go to websites I've never been to before and it will automatically know my name and number and where I'm from. It's really quite scary...
  • ER911ER911 Posts: 248
    I noticed that YouTube now asks us to connect our YouTube accounts to our email addresses and log in (on YouTube) using the passwords of those email accounts! I find this disturbing, because we're in effect disclosing our identities AND making it really easy for the people "in charge" to check our emails. The Internet seems to be losing its anonymity, and I think we must be aware of this phenomenon and wary of its implications.

I haven't had to enter any information in order to log onto you tube. Insofar as the internet goes, I've always thought of it as an avenue for people to hack. I just take the necessary precautions to make my internet experience the safest it can be.
  • NightOwlNightOwl Posts: 150

Yes. I then immediately set up an email account in yahoo and connected that the email of my YT account. Yahoo and YT/G are not connected (or who knows these days.. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> )

Also, longer time ago, after logging in, YT suddenly asked if I wanted to make this person my friend. I had a gma1l account and YT had dug up her from my email account. This person I had contacted in business sense, def not a friend, and since she also had both gmail and YT account, YT suggested we could be friends. I deleted the whole email account right then and there.
  • MJFAN7MJFAN7 Posts: 3,063

Google bought youtube, and they ask you to sign in with your Google accounts, for some reason.
  • ForstAMoonForstAMoon Posts: 1,126

Google bought youtube, and they ask you to sign in with your Google accounts, for some reason.

I guess Youtube is still loss-making business for google... maybe they are just trying to find more synergies to turn it to profits.
  • I noticed that YouTube now asks us to connect our YouTube accounts to our email addresses and log in (on YouTube) using the passwords of those email accounts! I find this disturbing, because we're in effect disclosing our identities AND making it really easy for the people "in charge" to check our emails. The Internet seems to be losing its anonymity, and I think we must be aware of this phenomenon and wary of its implications.

Yes, don't like it at all.
    Yes, Google owns YT. More on Google
    Recently tried to make a new gmail account. To send a verification code to the new account, Google asked for my f-ing phone number. <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> I checked out FAQ and there was, loosely quoted " if you don't have a phone number, ask someone to borrow you a phone " WTF is this?
    Also, noticed today, that Google default search page now shows, on the left hand side, your location i.e. the town you're in.

Tiptoeing towards totalitarianism...
  • Yes, Google owns YT. More on Google
    Recently tried to make a new gmail account. To send a verification code to the new account, Google asked for my f-ing phone number. <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> I checked out FAQ and there was, loosely quoted " if you don't have a phone number, ask someone to borrow you a phone " WTF is this?
    Also, noticed today, that Google default search page now shows, on the left hand side, your location i.e. the town you're in.

Tiptoeing towards totalitarianism...

Yeah, that doesn't sound good at all. <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| -->
  • NinaninaNinanina Posts: 439
    Did you read that?
    Google 'mistakenly' saved whole emails and passwords from users with a wireless connection while doing the photos for StreetView. And they're NOT going to delete the data before the authorities of the countries order the deletion.
    <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=90&t=15153<!-- l -->

They also gave personal data to third parties.
    This bomb has to explode.
    Did you read that?
    Google 'mistakenly' saved whole emails and passwords from users with a wireless connection while doing the photos for StreetView. And they're NOT going to delete the data before the authorities of the countries order the deletion.
    <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=90&t=15153<!-- l -->

They also gave personal data to third parties.
    This bomb has to explode.

I did. Now, just how can that "accident" happen in every f-ing country G drove through - I'm being ironic. G just apologizes. I don't believe for a second G would delete the data. G has so much power over the internet.. it's one big global ameba against single countries. It's like trying to slap an elephant with a fly-swatter..

I added something in that thread you refer to above.