US Sued by Harvard Law Students Over Airport Scans, Pat-Down

truthprevailstruthprevails Posts: 878
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
<!-- m -->http://www.newsmax.com/US/harvard-law-s ... ode=B393-1<!-- m -->

US Sued by Harvard Law Students Over Airport Scans, Pat-Downs
Thursday, 02 Dec 2010 07:33 AM

The U.S. government was sued in federal court in Boston by two Harvard University law students who claim their constitutional rights were violated by “nude body scanners” and “enhanced pat-downs” at airports.

Jeffrey Redfern, 27, and Anant Pradhan, 23, who are members of the law school’s class of 2012, said the security measures taken at airports are “intrusive” and violate the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, according to their complaint filed Nov. 29.

The students, who said they are regular travelers who use Boston’s Logan International Airport, seek a declaration that mandatory screening using the enhanced measures is unconstitutional and a ban on the techniques “without reasonable suspicion or probable cause.”

More than 400 body scanners, which are designed to detect non-metallic weapons beneath clothing, have been installed in at least 70 U.S. airports. Fewer than 50 were in use a year ago, the Transportation Security Administration has said.

The TSA has accelerated adoption of the scanners since a Northwest Airlines passenger tried to blow up a flight to Detroit on Dec. 25 by igniting explosives in his underpants. The bomb failed to fully detonate.

The scanners in use at airports produce images of the nude body. Travelers who don’t want their bodies scanned can receive an “enhanced pat-down” by airport security staff.

Pradhan, traveling from Boston to Dallas on Nov. 24, and Redfern, flying to Washington from Logan on Nov. 17, opted out of the scanners and were given pat-downs, according to the complaint.

‘Genitals and Buttocks’

“Plaintiffs found the process highly intrusive, including touching, better described as prodding and lifting of the genitals and buttocks,” they said in the suit.

Named as defendants were Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security, and John Pistole, administrator of the TSA.

Amy Kudwa, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security, declined to comment and referred calls to the TSA. Sterling Payne, a spokeswoman for the TSA, declined to comment on pending litigation.

“I don’t think Anant and I want to enter the public fray any more than we have to --especially during finals period,” Redfern said yesterday in an e-mail.

“We honestly don’t have much to say that would be of general interest,” he said. “So much has been said about this issue in the last month, and while we think we have some solid legal theories, they would be terribly boring to anyone but a lawyer.”

The case is Redfern v. Napolitano, 10-cv-12048, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts (Boston).

Comments

• SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    Thanks for that article.
  • jilljill Posts: 917
    You would have to be blind not to see this train coming, lol.
  • This doesn't surprise me either, but what does bother me is that the next time there is a terrorist attack in the US, involving a plane, Americans will be in an uproar again about the fact that we can't be protected when flying. It really seems to me that the TSA is damned if they do and damned if they don't!
  • This doesn't surprise me either, but what does bother me is that the next time there is a terrorist attack in the US, involving a plane, Americans will be in an uproar again about the fact that we can't be protected when flying. It really seems to me that the TSA is damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Unfortunately many people don't look at the BIG PICTURE and fail to realize that a nation's security has little to do with airport security, or with asking people to take off their shoes. How did those 9/11 "terrorists" ALL obtain visas to enter American territory? Something to think about...

Still, I'm not sure Americans have really asked for tougher airport security measures. I haven't seen people take to the streets to ask for body scans! If certain journalists have talked about tougher security measures, maybe it's because they're part of the machine, conditioning people to accept certain things and even create the illusion that they, the people, want those measures! If you're a regular Joe and believe that American people want body scans, you're gonna say "well hey, we asked for this and it's all for our benefit".

Oh, and another thing that'll be coming up (besides the chip): IRIS SCANS!
    Moreover the threat is the Government itself... the terrorist attacks were created on purpose by Gov. secret services so that they can establish these measures. This is a connected chain of events. These so called security measures have been taken unilaterally, the people were never asked to my knowledge if they agreed or not. And if people don't find that this has gone way too far already then they are doomed because it will never be far enough for them to react. They should not accept these measures and demonstrate against them. Now the problem is that the dark side is very capable to create another false flag to shut the mouth of the people, that is why is is highly important that people know the whole the truth so that they have the big picture and can really understand what is going on.
  • Moreover the threat is the Government itself... the terrorist attacks were created on purpose by Gov. secret services so that they can establish these measures. This is a connected chain of events. These so called security measures have been taken unilaterally, the people were never asked to my knowledge if they agreed or not. And if people don't find that this has gone way too far already then they are doomed because it will never be far enough for them to react. They should not accept these measures and demonstrate against them. Now the problem is that the dark side is very capable to create another false flag to shut the mouth of the people, that is why is is highly important that people know the whole the truth so that they have the big picture and can really understand what is going on.

I 100% agree. There should have been a national referendum on the use of body scans... Otherwise the measure seems illegal to me. There can't be an assumption that everyone is a potential terrorist.
  • katson45katson45 Posts: 116
    They've kept us dumbed down so effectively we actually believe this radiation will not harm us, vaccines are good for us, building 7 (wtc) actually fell neatly in it's own footprint, and the federal reserve (made up of 6 private foreign banks and handed our sovereignty as of 1933 is good for us...and governments don't lie...right..we must educate people with the truth before it's too late! Logic, just simple logic...and some light shone on agendas...read ''they own it all, and you too''
  • katson45katson45 Posts: 116
    Dr Deagle Show 072709 1/4 - THEY OWN IT ALL INCLUDING YOU cont'd
    <!-- w -->www.youtube.com<!-- w -->
    <!-- m -->http://www.clayandiron.com/news.jhtml<!-- m -->?
    Dr Deagle Show 072709 1/4 - THEY OWN IT ALL INCLUDING YOU cont'd
    <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com<!-- m -->
    <!-- m -->http://www.clayandiron.com/news.jhtml<!-- m -->?

Can't watch the video here but I remember having seen something like Citizen and citizen could make all the difference when people sign official papers... and someting with birth certificates... etc. They own everything... supposedly.