New Album Finishes at Number 3 - Showbiz 411

voiceforthesilentvoiceforthesilent Posts: 5,485
edited January 1970 in His Music & (Short) Films
<!-- m -->http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/12/22/mi ... so-showing<!-- m -->

Michael Jackson’s New Album Finishes at Number 3, So-So Showing
By: Roger Friedman in Celebrity, Music // December 22nd, 2010 at 12:40 AM UTC

Michael Jackson‘s “Michael” album enters the charts at number 3 this week, right behind Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle.

“Michael” sold 224,000 copies, about 25,000 less than the two women.

On the other hand, “Michael” was the highest debut album of the week according to hitsdailydouble.com. It outsold new CDs by R. Kelly and P Diddy by more than 100,000 copies.

However, Jackson’s last album, “Invincible,” sold 363,000 copies in its first week, back on October 30, 2001.

Given the modest amount of money that went into marketing “Michael” and the huge sums wasted on P Diddy, you could say “Michael” is even a bigger hit.

What it lacks, though, is a break out hit. And the album still has not overcome the stigma of Jackson’s vocals possibly not being his–and they are.

Sony sort of screwed this up from the beginning. The version of “Breaking News” that was put on the website for streaming in November didn’t sound like Michael Jackson. It was in fact the wrong mix. This led the rabid Jackson fans to scream that they were being fooled.

It’s too bad: “Breaking News” is a great single. On the album, it’s clearly Michael Jackson singing all the way through the lead. Jackson fans are denying themselves a real treat if they think otherwise.

The real first single, “Hold My Hand,” with Akon, has not been a crowd pleaser.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I do think Sony rushed the release. They had no marketing campaign, no focus, and a lot of negativity to overcome. If they’d waited til spring, some more thought could have gone into how to launch this CD.

“Michael” has plenty of potential singles. “Monster,” “Keep Your Head Up,” and “Another Day” are all great. But Sony’s going to have to implement some out of the box thinking to make them happen.

Comments

• nefarinefari Posts: 1,227
    "Out of the box" makes me think of Michael jumping out of a box on Oprah or somewhere and shocking the world. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Though this is discouraging, and 'Michael' truly should be number 1 compared to the 2 women, MJ has a literal mountain standing in the way. I believe it's going to take something supernatural. If you ask the average guy on the street or took a survery, people would say still Michael is a freak and pervert. That's certainly what I've been encountering in the places I'm in. It's been embedded and rammed into people's brains for so long. It's a mountain <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> A spectacular resurrection might be the ticket.
    Matthew 17:14-23 (King James Version)

14And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,

15Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

16And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.

17Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.

18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

19Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?

20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

21Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

22And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men:

23And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.