Jackson 5's First Chicago Recording Uncovered

Tink.I.AmTink.I.Am Posts: 878
edited January 1970 in His Music & (Short) Films
Jackson 5's First Chicago Recording Uncovered

<!-- m -->http://www.nbcchicago.com/entertainment ... 25794.html<!-- m -->

Version of "Big Boy" recorded two months earlier than original single

Can we get a hee-hee?

It seems fitting that in the midst of a brouhaha over Michael Jackson's final recordings, the pop superstar's very first studio offering -- produced in Chicago -- appears to have been unearthed.

According to the Chicago Reader's Jake Austen, a version of Big Boy -- a regional hit by The Jackson 5 recorded for Steeltown Records in 1967 -- had been recorded two months earlier at One-derful Records, then housed at 1827 S. Michigan.

Chicago's Larry Blasingaine, who as a 15-year-old studio musician played bass on that studio recording instead of a raw Jermaine Jackson, heard the track earlier this month and confirms it was the original version. And he also claims the original is better than the version that the world came to know.

"Michael is clearer; it jells. It's what made them the Jackson Five—people were amazed by hearing them so young and being able to do that," Blasingaine told the Chicago Reader.

Click here (<!-- m -->http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/ja ... id=2932711<!-- m -->) to listen to a clip of the recently-discovered song, and to read more about how it was uncovered.

[youtube:29v6qj7w]

Comments

• wow
  • liegiliegi Posts: 640
    Impressive.
  • msteetee34msteetee34 Posts: 1,234
    Dang Mike got all kinds of songs being released. New songs, old songs, and songs that people claim aren't him. Anyway I never heard this cut by Jackson 5. I really like it. It's one of those old school jams. I love MJ voice when he was a kid. It was so strong and pure like he had the soul of an adult.
  • This is cool! My mom was telling me about the first recording cuz she went to a party hosted by a local DJ named Al Greer and he presented Larry Blasingaine and two other guys with him at his party last night! Mom even got to talk to one of the guys, a saxophonist named Eddie Silvers who originally wrote the song! =D <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->