‘Neverland’ Comes to Life For One More Day

fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
edited January 1970 in News
Neverland’ Comes to Life For One More Day

Anaheim, CA – On February 26, the magi...c of Michael Jackson’s legendary Neverland will be revived in order to benefit a group of underprivileged children from the inner city whom Jackson would likely have helped if he were still alive.
On Saturday, Disneyland will be known as “Neverland” to a group of 30 kids from the Boys & Girls Club of East Los Angeles who have never been to the theme park and had no hopes of going, until now.

“This is one of the groups that Michael Jackson supported. He would have brought these deserving kids to his amusement park at Neverland if he were here,” said artist David Ilan, whose Michael Jackson Tribute Portrait is one of the sponsors of the charitable event thanks to a donation from an anonymous donor.

The event is being organized by Emmy nominated Executive Producer Jerry Biederman, who is the co-founder with Ilan of the largest tribute in the world to Michael Jackson, and Anna Araujo, Chief Professional Officer of the Boys & Girls Club of East Los Angeles. It is co-sponsored and
produced by Roseé Entertainment.

“Because Neverland is no longer,” said Biederman, “we are turning Disneyland into Michael’s Neverland, if only for a day.”

Neverland Ranch was Michael Jackson’s celebrated home in Santa Barbara County, California, from 1988 to 2005. Inspired by his love of Disneyland, and a desire to reinvent his lost childhood, Jackson built an impressive, world-renowned amusement park, zoo and theater on his sprawling property, which he shared with countless disadvantaged and ill children. Neverland opened its gates regularly to busloads of children from various charities to experience a day of wonderment and hope.

Upon their arrival, the young guests were greeted by Allan Scanlan, known as “Big Al.” While he was originally hired to take care of ride safety and maintenance, he soon became responsible for overseeing the grounds and numerous attractions, as well as hosting the celebrity guests and the many thousands of children. During his 15 years at Neverland, Michael Jackson developed a close personal friendship with Big Al.

Scanlan, who is a supporter of The Michael Jackson Tribute Portrait – along with celebrity participants such as Diana Ross, George Lopez, Larry King, Gladys Knight, Adam Lambert and members of the Jackson family – will be greeting the children at the entrance to Disneyland, just as he used to welcome kids at the gates of Neverland.

“The Amusement Park, along with the rest of Neverland, was built to bring a magical day; a joy filled memory into the lives of all those sick and less fortunate kids who visited Neverland,” Scanlan said. “The impact that a day at Neverland had on the inner city children and the children who were dealing with life threatening illness was beyond belief. To represent Mr. Jackson and to help make his dream come true for those children, to be
part of that magical day and the memory those children will hang onto was a blessing.”

In 2006, Neverland was closed. A spokesperson stated Jackson had chosen not to live there ever since the previous year’s legal turmoil, of which Jackson was found not guilty, and the legal circus in the county that ensued.

“I am sorry to say that even with all the pictures and movies of the ranch, there is no way a person can describe what a day at Neverland was like,” Scanlan said. “It is something that has to be experienced.”

Big Al Scanlan holds onto hope that one day Neverland will be reopened as a place of pilgrimage for Jackson’s millions of fans, similar to how Graceland had become a destination for fans of Elvis Presley. He would want it to be a tourist attraction only if the property were shared with
children’s charities, as Jackson had done in its glory days.

But for now, Neverland will be transported to Disneyland, if only in spirit.See More
By: MJJOnlineVEVO

Comments

• wishingstarwishingstar Posts: 2,927
    Disneyland is near and dear to my heart. It's place where dreams really do come true. I pray these kids will have a day of happiness and fulfillment beyond their dreams.
    Thank you for sharing this article. It brought tears to my eyes.....both happy and sad. To have seen the children's faces at Neverland would have been so special, so sweet. Michael blessed so many families with his generous heart.

Blessings to all...............
  • Michael Jackson is a one of a kind human being. If everyone of us, would take an ounce of his kindness, humanitarian we would live in a much much better world. He chose his own home to help all these under privileged and sick children. Who would do that? I haven't heard anyone, just Michael. Than he was bashed, and rediculed, and on top of that charged of molestation, how can a human being take all of that? I know I wouldn't be able to. Michael did it with dignity. I feel it in my bones this is another Michael act, he is the one behind it. I think Neverland was never sold to anyone, it still belongs to Michael.
    Blessings my friends.
  • If Michael was really dead, do you guys think anybody would care about some kids and some Neverland?
    They would sell every bit of it.
    This must be Michael behind it! <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| --> This event is too "Michaelish"
  • Michael Jackson is a one of a kind human being. If everyone of us, would take an ounce of his kindness, humanitarian we would live in a much much better world. He chose his own home to help all these under privileged and sick children. Who would do that? I haven't heard anyone, just Michael. Than he was bashed, and rediculed, and on top of that charged of molestation, how can a human being take all of that? I know I wouldn't be able to. Michael did it with dignity. I feel it in my bones this is another Michael act, he is the one behind it. I think Neverland was never sold to anyone, it still belongs to Michael.
    Blessings my friends.

I fully agree with you .Michael is behind this. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • Tge article says 'An anonymous doner' could be Michael right? <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    About Big Al

Back to Neverland With Big Al Scanlan
    By Valmai Owens Fri, Dec 24, 2010

<!-- m -->http://mjtpmagazine.presspublisher.us/i ... al-scanlon<!-- m -->

In this touching interview, Big Al Scanlon shares his very personal memories of Michael and Neverland.

Back to Neverland With Big Al Scanlan

From 1990 to 2005, Big Al Scanlan worked at Neverland Ranch as Director of Maintenance. He was responsible for overseeing the grounds and numerous attractions, including the theater, rides and trains. He also became a close personal friend of Michael’s.

In this interview, Big Al answers questions posed by some our team members and volunteers, giving us a rare insight into his time at Neverland, and his relationship with Michael.

Valmai: Big Al, how did you come to apply for the job at Neverland?

Big Al: I got involved in the amusement business shortly after high school. Most of that time was in the safety and maintenance end of the business. When Mr. Jackson purchased the ranch, I was working for a Risk Management Consulting company that specialized in amusement rides. This company was recommended to the MJ representatives by the amusement ride broker in regards to, how to take care of the equipment. I would visit Neverland two or three times a year, either for a safety inspection or to address maintenance issues.

During the first two years Neverland was in operation, I developed a great professional relationship with Neverland as well as a good friendship with the ranch manager. During one of my closing meetings, I informed the ranch manager that I was getting tired of all the travel (300 days a year) and was thinking of looking for a job at an amusement park. I then told him of two parks I was interested in. His reply shocked me. He said, "What do you think about working here?"

At this point in time I had no idea what all went on at Neverland as far as all the charity work. I thought this was just a place for Mr. Jackson to have some fun. I was not a Michael Jackson fan, but I was into music enough to know he was an incredibly talented entertainer. I had seen enough of Neverland to know that this place had some serious class, but I really thought working there would be ... well ... boring. I decided that I should hear what the MJ people had to say about my possible employment at Neverland. This turned out to be a very wise decision on my part.

Valmai: What was a typical day like when Michael was at home?

Big Al: When Mr. Jackson was home or if we had guests, my day would start around 5.00am with the alarm clock going off. I would clock in at 7.00am, and head to the steam train. There were only two of us at the ranch that could fire up and operate the steam train. One of us would come in early to fire up, and the other would come in around 2.00pm and stay until closing.

Once the steam train was full of steam, I would clean up and put on my formal uniform for the rest of the day. After that, it was stand by and listen to the radio for any requests for a train ride on either train. I would normally rotate back and forth between the trains, running them from one end of the valley to the other and blowing the whistle from time to time. Mr. Jackson enjoyed the atmosphere that the train movement and sound of the whistle added to the magic of Neverland.

Valmai: We know that Michael loved to play jokes on people for fun. Did he ever play one on you? What were some of his funniest pranks?

Big Al: I had only worked at Neverland for a few weeks. It was a very warm day. I was in my suit (and thinking to myself it was a bit hot to be wearing a suit), standing near the front of the amusement park grinding ice for the snow cone machine with my back to the road that runs in front of the park. I see a golf cart full of people out of the corner of my eye; the golf cart stops right behind me. I keep grinding ice and I hear, "Sure is hot today, isn't it?" I slowly turn around and agree then go back to grinding ice. Then ... WHAM, a water balloon hits me in the middle of the back. As the golf cart speeds off I hear Mr. Jackson say, "It wasn't me". I realized that I was feeling much cooler and a thought ran through my mind, "I have never had a boss throw a water balloon at me, I think this is going to be a fun place to work.”

This incident really sticks out in my mind because I had only been working at Neverland for a few weeks and had not had any contact with Mr. Jackson yet, other than running a few rides for him.

Valmai: Aside from his work in the entertainment field, what did Michael most enjoy doing during his free time?

Big Al: The only free time I can comment on is his time at Neverland. I believe he enjoyed everything about Neverland; riding on the rides, watching movies, visiting the zoo and without a doubt, water balloon fights!

Neverland gave Mr. Jackson, as well as all his guests, a chance to relax, a chance to escape the everyday stress life gives us. Even if he was on tour or in the studio, he would want to hear all about the day that the guests had at Neverland. It was very important to him that they had the time of their life.

Valmai: Did you ever have any personal interaction with some of Michael’s most famous friends, such as Elizabeth Taylor or Lisa Marie?

Big Al: During my years at Neverland, I believe I meet them all. The one that really stands out is Gregory Peck. He was in the park with some of his family. He and I were sitting under a big oak tree while watching his family ride some rides. Mr. Peck asked me how I got my start at Neverland and over the next half an hour or so I told him my life story. When he got up to leave he thanked me, and told me I was a fascinating person. He said it with a level of sincerity I will never forget. I was telling myself, “here is a guy who is an absolute icon ... a legend ... and he is fascinated by my life as a Carny ... WOW!”

Valmai: Can you speak about the impact that a day at Neverland had on the children who visited there? What, if any, miracles did you witness?

Big Al: It is hard to explain what a huge impact a day at Neverland had on the inner city kids and the kids fighting life threatening illnesses. You would almost need to hear it from them. I know that we would receive letters from doctors, nurses, counselors and family members that would absolutely make me cry. Some of those kids were so sick; I think it was a miracle, if only for that one day, that they forgot about their illness. And for the inner city kids, some who had never been out of their neighborhood, the miracle was that they got to see that there is hope.

Valmai: Did Michael appear to be a happy person at Neverland?

Big Al: Extremely!

Valmai: What was one of Michael's happiest moments?

Big Al: That one I cannot answer. I do believe that seeing the sick and inner city kids having the time of their lives’ at Neverland made him very happy.

Valmai: When you look back on the time spent at Neverland and with Michael, what's the one thing you'll never forget; the memory that stands out in your mind the most?

Big Al: That is one tough question; there are so many incredibly happy memories. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the time I made Mr. Jackson laugh the hardest. (Side Note: I did get to make him laugh several times.) I have to stop here and ask if you can recall the video for “Speed Demon?” The opening when Michael runs into the two fat twins on scooters? If not, stop reading and go watch it. Okay, are you back?

I am in the amusement park area when I get a call on the radio, “Mr. Jackson would like two scooters at the park in a few minutes.” I grabbed Dan, and we jumped in my golf cart and headed to the barn where the scooters were. Now Dan is about 5 feet 6 inches and weighs about 130 pounds. I on the other hand, am 6 feet1inch and weigh 320 pounds. By now you may know where this story is going.

Dan and I are heading to the park on the scooters, and when we were about 200 feet from Mr. Jackson, I notice he is looking at me and laughing. I pull up about 6inches from his feet and the words just came out, "Hey Mister, want to autograph my belly?" He started laughing so hard I thought he was going to cry.

Valmai: How would you feel about Neverland being re-opened as a memorial park similar to Graceland and do you think that Michael would have wanted this?

Big Al: Absolutely! I know there has been talk, both good and bad, about that possibility. There have been reports of Mr. Jackson saying he hated Neverland and would never live there again. Given the acts of the DA, the sheriff and 'that family', I do not doubt those reports. I believe eventually Mr. Jackson would have re-opened Neverland. Why do I believe that?

During my 15 years at Neverland, sitting at a picnic table under a huge oak tree, I had several long conversations with Mr. Jackson about Neverland. Looking into his eyes and hearing his voice, there is no doubt that the charity work done at Neverland was one of the most important things in his life. In time, I believe the importance of those magical days for those sick and inner city kids would have found its way back into Michael’s heart. The letters from all the doctors and nurses from children's hospitals, and the letters from parents who hung onto the memory of their child and that trip to Neverland, make it very clear how important Mr. Jackson’s charity work through Neverland was.

I became very good friends with a kid with cystic fibrosis (number 1 genetic killer of children). Jeff visited Neverland once with Children's Hospital of Los Angeles and twice as my guest during the annual employee family day. One day after taking it (Neverland) all in, he looked at me and said, "I don't know if I like Michael Jackson the entertainer (Jeff was a Lollapalooza kind of kid) but I am sure I like Michael Jackson the person.”

Jeff truly understood Michael and the importance of Neverland, and as I write this, and hang onto those happy memories of Jeff at Neverland, I understand its importance. If Neverland were brought back to its 'Heyday' condition, and opened to the public part of the time to support itself, and part of the time for invitation only charity events, it would be a win-win situation.

Valmai: When was the last time that you and Michael spoke, and what did you talk about?

Big Al: My last conversation with Mr. Jackson was during the trial. It was not much of a conversation. Sometimes I would see him in the morning before he left or in the afternoon when he came back. The conversation was more of acknowledging each other. I hope he saw in my eyes how I cared and how much I wished I knew what to do, what to say. This is the first time in a long time that I actually recalled that last conversation. I have a plethora of much happier times I concentrate on.

Valmai: What do you feel is the greatest gift you received from Michael? How did he change your life?

Big Al: After spending some time around Mr. Jackson and getting to better understand what he was about; I learned how to be more charitable, not to be judgmental, to do whatever I can to help people less fortunate than I, and to be more courteous and polite. I am a better person, thanks to my time at Neverland and with Mr. Jackson.

Valmai: What would you say is Michael's most profound legacy?

Big Al: I am sure that most people would say his musical career. I, on the other hand, would say his humanitarian accomplishments both known and unknown.

Valmai: If you could have one more day with Michael, how would you spend it?

Big Al: After reading that question, it took me a long time to get my composure back. I would spend the day thanking him until he made me stop, then I would do my job, entertaining the “Entertainer.”

Valmai: If you could share one thing with the world, what would it be?

Big Al: If I only knew how ... I would like to let the world know what a truly genuine person Mr. Jackson was.

Thankyou, Big Al, for sharing your special memories with us.
  • shelby61shelby61 Posts: 305
    Michael Jackson is a one of a kind human being. If everyone of us, would take an ounce of his kindness, humanitarian we would live in a much much better world. He chose his own home to help all these under privileged and sick children. Who would do that? I haven't heard anyone, just Michael. Than he was bashed, and rediculed, and on top of that charged of molestation, how can a human being take all of that? I know I wouldn't be able to. Michael did it with dignity. I feel it in my bones this is another Michael act, he is the one behind it. I think Neverland was never sold to anyone, it still belongs to Michael.
    Blessings my friends.

I fully agree with you .Michael is behind this. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

From what I understand from reading on the financial situation of Neverland, etc. is that Michael had loans outstanding which Colony stepped in to renegotiate for him and perhaps use his property as collateral, but I never thought for once he actually transferred ownership of Neverland to anyone. I still believe that is Michael's property and will be there for his children. So I agree I think it still belongs to him. Renegotiating loans on behalf of someone is alot different than actually buying out or purchasing someone's debt and property.
  • wishingstarwishingstar Posts: 2,927
    I have read stories about how Michael liked to dress up as an old man (coinky-dink!) and sit on the benches to people watch at Disneyland. I would bet a lot of money, if this happens this weekend, he will be there in some way, shape or form........in person, disguise, watching through video etc......it just sounds like something he'd do for children. What a sweet, sweet thing! If all the world were even a bit more, "Michaelish" it would be a much better place! (love that word: Michaelish) <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

LOVE & Blessings!
    Blessings my friends.

From what I understand from reading on the financial situation of Neverland, etc. is that Michael had loans outstanding which Colony stepped in to renegotiate for him and perhaps use his property as collateral, but I never thought for once he actually transferred ownership of Neverland to anyone. I still believe that is Michael's property and will be there for his children. So I agree I think it still belongs to him. Renegotiating loans on behalf of someone is alot different than actually buying out or purchasing someone's debt and property.

DITTO...I agree with all of you & Wishingstar. He still owns it... Threatened: "Never Neverland that's the place".
    Incidentally I just looked up the significance of July 17th 1955 yesterday after hearing MJ quote that date at the end of HIStory @ time sig. 6:00 (he says July 17th 1955) That's when Disneyland opened...
    Hmmmm "See you in July" comes to mind. <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->
    http://www.disneydreamer.com/walt/opendaypic.htm