Breaking News-Prosecution asks for delay in trial

SinderellaSinderella Posts: 1,334
edited January 1970 in Dr. Conrad Murray
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/02/michael-jackson-conrad-murray-trial.html
Michael Jackson case: Prosecutor says defense isn't sharing information, asks for delay of doctor's trial

A prosecutor asked Thursday that the trial of Michael Jackson’s doctor be delayed because of what she said was the failure of the defense to share information about its planned case, including the findings of its star forensic witness.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor left the scheduled March 24 start of Dr. Conrad Murray’s trial in place, but said he shared the prosecution’s frustration and reminded defense attorneys that they could be fined or barred from calling witnesses if they did not comply with legal obligations to turn over the materials.

“Dr. Murray is entitled to have a speedy trial, but it’s not trial by lack of information,” Pastor said.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Deborah Brazil complained that with only a month before trial, Murray’s lawyers have not handed over a report or notes about the expected testimony of Dr. Paul White.
The defense acknowledged in court that White, a Dallas anesthesiologist with an expertise in propofol -- the drug that killed Jackson -- is its most important witness. But defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan insisted the expert had not prepared a report and had communicated his findings verbally. Those findings, Flanagan said, included the opinion that Jackson was addicted to Demerol and that Murray did not cause Jackson’s death.
Pastor urged Murray’s lawyers to provide more information about White's testimony to the prosecution.

“I’m just finding it very difficult to believe that a renowned forensic expert in any subject is going to take the stand without having documentation in front of him,” the judge said.
Murray, 57, is accused of involuntary manslaughter in the June 2009 death of the pop icon. His lawyers have suggested that Jackson self-administered the fatal dose of propofol

Comments

• This is becoming more and more comical and disturbing all at the same time. What a farce <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
  • SinderellaSinderella Posts: 1,334
    HA.I know right,and if this does get delayed,someone owes me $$ for my correct prediction of said event.Don't know who.....but someone <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    It seems like we need to start fastening our seat belts for the last run of the show. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • It seems like we need to start fastening our seat belts for the last run of the show. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Click!

Ready for take-off!
    I'll see what other developments I can get hold of on this
  • becca26becca26 Posts: 789
    Figures lol <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • This is just my opinion but what if this delay is because MJ needs more time...also with the TIAI redirects, the reason for no redirects could be because MJ is working on the music videos (indirectly). Not that I want to be negative but maybe something didnt go to plan or MJ is delaying because of unforseen circumstances such as Liz Taylor being in hospital. (Hope she gets well)
    This is just my opinion but what if this delay is because MJ needs more time...also with the TIAI redirects, the reason for no redirects could be because MJ is working on the music videos (indirectly). Not that I want to be negative but maybe something didnt go to plan or MJ is delaying because of unforseen circumstances such as Liz Taylor being in hospital. (Hope she gets well)
    Could be, maybe things have not fallen all into place yet <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    To me it seems like they court scenes are not happening. Katherine isn't going to court to sue AEG, and now the defense, Murray has presented no report to begin the case, when THEY were the ones that wanted a speedy trial. It is like they don't REALLY want to do the court stuff...just try it in the MEDIA.
  • including the findings of its star forensic witness Can it be Michael , in some destorted way???

The more time goes on, the more I feel in a roller coaster, going up and down, up and down oops I am getting dizzy here.. <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
    including the findings of its star forensic witness Can it be Michael , in some destorted way???

The more time goes on, the more I feel in a roller coaster, going up and down, up and down oops I am getting dizzy here.. <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
    I feel you on that roller coaster lol <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    Since when do we exchange opinions and notes from defense to prosecution OUTSIDE of a courtroom and BEFORE the trial and as a goodie the judge complains about the lack of documentation?

I think I'm gonna save some carrots for the Bugs Bunnies we're gonna see.

Cartoon-Zoo.gif
  • I guess I'm just ignorant of how these legal proceedings work. I would have assumed that the prosecution would be the one having to present their documents, not the defense. I mean, why should the defense have to lay out how they plan to defend a client? To me it should be that the prosecution should have to tell how they plan to prove you did something so you know how to defend yourself, not the other way around.

I also just read another story about what happened in court today, and nothing makes sense of course.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12987564

Flanagan told Pastor he hadn't prepared such notes for trials for at least 10 years.

Flanagan contended that California trial laws don't require him to prepare reports on witness interviews to hand over to prosecutors.

Pastor disagreed, saying the strategy appeared to undermine rules intended to prevent surprises during testimony at trial.

"It is a recipe for disaster," Pastor said. "We don't do trials based upon memory."

The judge rejected a request by prosecutor Deborah Brazil to vacate the scheduled start of Murray's trial in late March over the issue.

She argued there was no way the doctor's defense team could be prepared for trial if they had not yet written and handed over reports.

The above is just a portion of this 2 page story. So, defense attorney Flanagan says the CA law doesn't require him to prepare and give these reports to prosecutors. Judge Pastor disagrees and wants to prevent SURPRISES during the trial <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> OH, and why would prosecutor Deborah Brazil be concerned about Murray's defense team being prepared, she's on the other side? Maybe the real reason the prosecutors are looking to delay the trial is because they don't have evidence to prove their case? Maybe MJ will be a surprise witness for Murray <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Time will tell and Truth WILL Prevail!

Blessed to have been,
    Touched By An Angel
    <!-- m -->http://twitter.com/TouchedByAngelM<!-- m -->
  • This is totally insane..that's all I have to say, really. LOL
  • msteetee34msteetee34 Posts: 1,234
    I'm not surprised there is a delay. Mother Katherine already dropped the case against AEG being responsible for hiring Murray. I believe I read this in a different forum. I always felt AEG wasn't responsible because Kenny O and others were at the memorial and he was also at the premiere of This is it taking pics with the brothers. If they were really responsible then why would the brothers be so friendly with him? Anyway what's next charges dropped completely against Murray? Like the family keeps saying he is the fall guy. It will be interesting to see what happens next that's for sure.

The Jackson brothers look rather chummy with Kenny. Ummm is Kenny holding Jackie's hand in the pic?lol <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    This is totally insane..that's all I have to say, really. LOL

Wise words from our own in-house Lawyer
    Go on,Chlo..give 'em hell

KJ has dropped her charges,this was all released yesterday/day before so it is definitley unravelling at snowball speed and YES they are 100% holding hands haahahaha
    IT'S ALL FOR L.O.V.E isn't that right Kenny <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891

The Jackson brothers look rather chummy with Kenny. Ummm is Kenny holding Jackie's hand in the pic?lol <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Probably Jackie said to Kenny: "We Know What's Going On dude, and this is going to be a fast rollercoaster ride, so pls Hold My Hand" <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Yeah...

"Kenny,dude,I know our mom is going to try sue your ass and you'll be up on the stand and all that,but if you hold my hand,things will get better and nothing will come between us,squeeze it man....it's all for love and all for $$$"
  • You guys remember when TII tour was delayed?
    You guys remember when TII tour was delayed?

***Correction
    Remember when EVERYTHING since 2009 was delayed?

Tour
    911 call
    Funeral
    TII Film release
    DVD release
    Murray's arrest
    Album release
    Game release
    Syringe 'Evidence' testing (18months delayed this is by far the winner)
    Trial....
  • YuliaYulia Posts: 122
    <!-- m -->http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/24 ... ertainment<!-- m -->)

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A prosecutor in the involuntary manslaughter case against Dr. Conrad Murray asked the judge Thursday to delay the trial, which is set to begin in a month.
    Murray, who is charged in the death of pop star Michael Jackson, invoked his right to a speedy trial within 60 days of his arraignment, but the prosecution complained the defense has not met its duty to share information about potential witnesses.

"I do not take notes when talking to a witness," defense lawyer Michael Flanigan told Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor during a hearing Thursday.
    Judge Pastor scolded Flanagan and his co-cousel Ed Chernoff for not providing more details to the prosecution about the testimony they expect from the 93 people listed as potential defense witnesses.
    "There are sanctions, including monetary and continuances, and also including preclusion of a witness," the judge warned.

Judge Pastor appeared caught by surprise at Murray's arraignment last month when defense lawyers invoked his right to hava a trial within 60 days.
    Flanagan, outside of court Thursday, said the defense will be ready when jury selection is scheduled to start on March 24.
    "The defendant has a right to go to trial within 60 days," he said. "I don't think there's any obligation for him to be completely ready 30 days before he's set to go to trial, if that were the true then what would we do the last 30 days?"

Judge Pastor ordered Murray's lawyers to create written summaries of what they've been told by witnesses in interviews.

"I guess we'll have to go out and take some more statements and tell the prosecution a little buit more about where we're coming from," Flanagan said.

Judge Pastor set a hearing for Monday morning to consider the prosecution request for a delay.

The judge also delayed making a decision until next week on allowing a new lawyer to join Murray's defense team until he can determine if there is a conflict of interest.

The lawyer, Nareg Gourjian, had worked on Michael Jackson's child molestation defense.

Murray wants Gourjian to replace Joseph Low, who left the defense team earlier this month.

Gourjian's former law firm, headed by lawyer Mark Geragos, raised the possible conflict of interest because the firm represented Jackson for two years starting in 2003, when he was charged with child molestation.

Geragos, and Michael Jackson estate's lawyer, Howard Weitzman, appeared in court Thursday to discuss the matter. But Judge Pastor asked them to return next week to meet privately because it involves "very sensitive material."

Gourjian told the judge last week that he was "in no way involved" in the Jackson case because he was "a brand-new lawyer" busy working on the a murder case at the time.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009 from what the coroner ruled was an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    O.M.G. that's Over My Gabacity...
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

We need a second trial, urgently.
    Not only everything got delayed, we had everything doubled so far.
    And then we need garbage bins. Tons of garbage bins.
    Seems we may need to stop our watches, clocks, everything that is ticking and freeze it in time.
    Because time, the 4th dimension, is being no more under our control in this story.

Frozen in time, buried alive - this is what we've seen here too:
    david-blaine-poster-decada.jpg
  • Since when do we exchange opinions and notes from defense to prosecution OUTSIDE of a courtroom and BEFORE the trial and as a goodie the judge complains about the lack of documentation?

I think I'm gonna save some carrots for the Bugs Bunnies we're gonna

I thought, in discovery, prosecution has to share their evidence with the defense, not the other way round? (where are our lawyers, here?).

Maybe it's a nod to Michael who was notoriously late for everything.. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • stephsteph Posts: 177
    When ever they mention Conrad Murray his age is always 57 ,even though over 20 months has passed.
    LOL Steph,you're only right

Lucky,I want to not age =[
    TMZ-MAKE IT SO NOW!!