Bush explains slow reaction to September 11 attacks

all4loveandbelieveall4loveandbelieve Posts: 4,455
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
<br />.<br />..<br />[glow=red,2,300]Ex-President George W. Bush, delivers a farewell address from the White House in[/glow] …<br /><br /><br />[size=12pt]LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President George W. Bush says his apparent lack of reaction to the first news of the September 11 2001 attacks was a conscious decision to project an aura of calm in a crisis.<br /> <br />In a rare interview with the National Geographic Channel, Bush reflects on what was going through his mind at the most dramatic moment of his presidency when he was informed that a second passenger jet had hit New York's World Trade Center.<br /> <br />Bush was visiting a Florida classroom and the incident, which was caught on TV film, and has often been used by critics to ridicule his apparently blank face.<br /> <br />"My first reaction was anger. Who the hell would do that to America? Then I immediately focused on the children, and the contrast between the attack and the innocence of children," Bush says in an excerpt of the interview shown to television writers on Thursday.<br /> <br />Bush said he could see the news media at the back of the classroom getting the news on their own cellphones "and it was like watching a silent movie."<br /> <br />Bush said he quickly realized that a lot of people beyond the classroom would be watching for his reaction.<br /> <br />"So I made the decision not to jump up immediately and leave the classroom. I didn't want to rattle the kids. I wanted to project a sense of calm," he said of his decision to remain seated and silent.<br /> <br />"I had been in enough crises to know that the first thing a leader has to do is to project calm," he added.<br /> <br />The National Geographic Channel will broadcast the hour-long interview on August 28 as part of a week of programs on the cable network called "Remembering 9/11" that mark the 10th anniversary of the attacks.<br /> <br />The interview was recorded over two days in May, without any questions being submitted in advance, the channel said.<br /> <br />National Geographic said Bush gives "intimate details" of his thoughts and feelings in a way never seen before. Most of the interview is about the first minutes and hours of the day that Islamic militants hijacked four planes and crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.<br /> <br />Executive producer and director Peter Schnall said Bush, who has adopted a low public profile since leaving office in January 2009, brought no notes to the interview.<br /> <br />"What you hear is the personal story of a man who also happened to be our president. Listening to him describe how he grappled with a sense of anger and frustration coupled with his personal mandate to lead our country through this devastating attack was incredibly powerful," Schnall said.<br /> <br />U.S. television networks are planning a slew of specials to mark the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11 attacks. Those on National Geographic also include a documentary on the continuing U.S. war on terror, and stories of ordinary people on Sept, 11 2001 called "Where Were You?"[/size]<br /><br /><br />This is so ironic, how come all of a sudden this article? Is someone reading what we are posting in this forum? Very strange.. <br /><br />http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bush-explains-slow-reaction-september-11-attacks-230850794.html

Comments

• PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    The timing of this article is really so interesting! Just after TS' thread about 9/11 and after we started to talk deeply about it. What a coincidence!!! And what a cold blooded evil he is. Of course he looked calm becoz he already knew what was going to happen. It boils my blood to remember his face expression when they told him about the attacks.  :evil:
  • on 1312080348:
    <br />The timing of this article is really so interesting! Just after TS' thread about 9/11 and after we started to talk deeply about it. What a coincidence!!! And what a cold blooded evil he is. Of course he looked calm becoz he already knew what was going to happen. It boils my blood to remember his face expression when they told him about the attacks.  :evil: <br />
    <br /> <br />Exactly my point Purelove. this is no coincidence, this is freakie, I just saw it and just today 2good2btrue did a youtube video, about 9/11 and look at this, magically this article popped out of no where.. Why now, why after 10 yrs later he makes a statement. Please if the thinks the population of the USA, or any other country are stupid, he has something else coming to him. What a son of a ...... will be polite will not swear at this brand new forum.
  • hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
    I saw this yeserday at work, even captured the picture which is worth a thousand words.  I have mixed feelings bout his reaction being that he was in a schoolroom setting when the info that the 2nd tower had been hit.  I don’t know.  It’s one thing to be calm about a situation.  However it’s quite another to be content, which is how he appeared to me.  I hate to misjudge people, but this one sent chills through me.
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    [size=12pt]Wow...this is a nice surprise...and I just finished part two of my video...Bit too late Bush...The truth is already out there.....PEOPLE POWER............  Please check out this latest video I just finished...I'm scared now.. Maybe they are onto me.... [/size] afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/<br /><br />
  • on 1312095401:
    <br />[size=12pt]Wow...this is a nice surprise...and I just finished part two of my video...Bit too late Bush...The truth is already out there.....PEOPLE POWER............  Please check out this latest video I just finished...I'm scared now.. Maybe they are onto me.... [/size] afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ <br /><br />
    <br />
    <br /> <br />don't worry 2good2btrue, they cannot touch you.. They do not know whom you are, That is their fault for screw up big big time. All those innocent people who died, May they all rest in peace. That breaks my heart. Bush will get what he deserves if he had anything to do with it, Karma my dear friends. I strongly believe in Karma.. I have seen it happened to people who deserved it too many times. blessings.
  • on 1312112576:
    <br />
    on 1312095401:
    <br />[size=12pt]Wow...this is a nice surprise...and I just finished part two of my video...Bit too late Bush...The truth is already out there.....PEOPLE POWER............  Please check out this latest video I just finished...I'm scared now.. Maybe they are onto me.... [/size] afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ <br /><br />
    <br />
    <br /> <br />don't worry 2good2btrue, they cannot touch you.. They do not know whom you are, That is their fault for screw up big big time. All those innocent people who died, May they all rest in peace. That breaks my heart. Bush will get what he deserves if he had anything to do with it, Karma my dear friends. I strongly believe in Karma.. I have seen it happened to people who deserved it too many times. blessings. <br />
    <br />Thank you 2good, for the time you put in for this video. Very interesting. I am so speechless, usually I am not loss for words. When watching this video I had goosebumps all over my body. Poor poor people. Some one needs to pay for this  atrocious, appalling , revolting horrifying act. I am not a vendictful person, I always try to see the other side of the coin, but you know this time, I am not seeing the other side of the coin, this time I would love to see the people who are involved to feel pain just like these innocent people who died, and who are dying now of cancer.
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    on 1312114125:
    <br />
    on 1312112576:
    <br />
    on 1312095401:
    <br />Wow...this is a nice surprise...and I just finished part two of my video...Bit too late Bush...The truth is already out there.....PEOPLE POWER............  Please check out this latest video I just finished...I'm scared now.. Maybe they are onto me....  afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ afraid/ <br /><br />
    <br />
    <br /> <br />don't worry 2good2btrue, they cannot touch you.. They do not know whom you are, That is their fault for screw up big big time. All those innocent people who died, May they all rest in peace. That breaks my heart. Bush will get what he deserves if he had anything to do with it, Karma my dear friends. I strongly believe in Karma.. I have seen it happened to people who deserved it too many times. blessings. <br />
    <br />Thank you 2good, for the time you put in for this video. Very interesting. I am so speechless, usually I am not loss for words. When watching this video I had goosebumps all over my body. Poor poor people. Some one needs to pay for this  atrocious, appalling , revolting horrifying act. I am not a vendictful person, I always try to see the other side of the coin, but you know this time, I am not seeing the other side of the coin, this time I would love to see the people who are involved to feel pain just like these innocent people who died, and who are dying now of cancer. <br />
    <br /> <br />Thanks for the feedback.....and yes, I'm sure they wont find me...