December 1st: World AIDS Day: "Getting to Zero"

everlastinglove_MJeverlastinglove_MJ Posts: 2,884
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
We all know that Michael has devoted a lot of time and money to many charities, among them AIDS foundations. As it is World AIDS day today, I'm posting the "Getting to Zero Campaign" site. A little while ago, I posted a topic about the Millenium Goals, and one of them (No 6) is "Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria and other diseases". <br />There are still too high children mortality rates or children infected by AIDS, http://www.ghanamma.com/2011/11/children-at-the-mercy-of-hiv/ http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/featurestories/2009/may/20090527unicef/<br /><br />[size=12pt]World AIDS Day this year is about "Getting to Zero." [/size] <br /><br />Zero New HIV Infections. Zero Discrimination and Zero AIDS-Related Deaths.<br /> <br />Backed by the United Nations, the "Getting to Zero" campaign runs until 2015 and builds on last year’s successful World AIDS Day "Light for Rights" initiative encompassing a range of vital issues identified by key affected populations.<br /> <br />The global HIV response is at a pivotal moment, where huge strides forward are at serious risk and current approaches are reaching their limits. Only one third of the 15 million people living with HIV and in need of life-long treatment are receiving it. New infections continue to outpace the number of people starting treatment, while the upward trend in resources suffered a serious downturn this year.<br /> <br />"Zero New HIV Infections" and "Zero Discrimination" are equally as likely to spark high impact events from small scale community vigils to nation wide events using the universally recognized shape of zeros and the power of light to get life and death issues the attention they deserve.<br /> <br />For December 1st 2011 right up until 2015 it’s envisioned that different regions and groups will each year chose one or all of the Zeros that best addresses their situation.<br /> <br />The decision to go with the millennium development related goal of "Getting to Zero" comes after extensive discussions among people living with HIV, health activists, broader civil society and many others – more than a hundred organizations in all.<br /> <br />The vision for this year’s World AIDS Day and beyond may be aspirational, but the journey towards its attainment is laid with concrete milestones. <br /><br />10 goals for 2015<br /> Sexual transmission of HIV reduced by half, including among young people, men who have sex with men and transmission in the context of sex work;<br />Vertical transmission of HIV eliminated and AIDS-related maternal deaths reduced by half;<br />All new HIV infections prevented among people who use drugs;<br />Universal access to antiretroviral therapy for people living with HIV who are eligible for treatment;<br />TB deaths among people living with HIV reduced by half;<br />All people living with HIV and households affected by HIV are addressed in all national social protection strategies and have access to essential care and support;<br />Countries with punitive laws and practices around HIV transmission, sex work, drug use or homosexuality that block effective responses reduced by half;<br />HIV-related restrictions on entry, stay and residence eliminated in half of the countries that have such restrictions;<br />HIV-specific needs of women and girls are addressed in at least half of all national HIV responses;<br />Zero tolerance for gender-based violence.<br />http://www.un.org/en/events/aidsday/2011/<br /><br />L.O.V.E.<br />

Comments

• on 1322782029:
    <br />We all know that Michael has devoted a lot of time and money to many charities, among them AIDS foundations. As it is World AIDS day today, I'm posting the "Getting to Zero Campaign" site. A little while ago, I posted a topic about the Millenium Goals, and one of them (No 6) is "Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria and other diseases". <br />There are still too high children mortality rates or children infected by AIDS, http://www.ghanamma.com/2011/11/children-at-the-mercy-of-hiv/ http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/featurestories/2009/may/20090527unicef/<br /><br />[size=12pt]World AIDS Day this year is about "Getting to Zero." [/size] <br /><br />Zero New HIV Infections. Zero Discrimination and Zero AIDS-Related Deaths.<br /> <br />Backed by the United Nations, the "Getting to Zero" campaign runs until 2015 and builds on last year’s successful World AIDS Day "Light for Rights" initiative encompassing a range of vital issues identified by key affected populations.<br /> <br />The global HIV response is at a pivotal moment, where huge strides forward are at serious risk and current approaches are reaching their limits. Only one third of the 15 million people living with HIV and in need of life-long treatment are receiving it. New infections continue to outpace the number of people starting treatment, while the upward trend in resources suffered a serious downturn this year.<br /> <br />"Zero New HIV Infections" and "Zero Discrimination" are equally as likely to spark high impact events from small scale community vigils to nation wide events using the universally recognized shape of zeros and the power of light to get life and death issues the attention they deserve.<br /> <br />For December 1st 2011 right up until 2015 it’s envisioned that different regions and groups will each year chose one or all of the Zeros that best addresses their situation.<br /> <br />The decision to go with the millennium development related goal of "Getting to Zero" comes after extensive discussions among people living with HIV, health activists, broader civil society and many others – more than a hundred organizations in all.<br /> <br />The vision for this year’s World AIDS Day and beyond may be aspirational, but the journey towards its attainment is laid with concrete milestones. <br /><br />10 goals for 2015<br /> Sexual transmission of HIV reduced by half, including among young people, men who have sex with men and transmission in the context of sex work;<br />Vertical transmission of HIV eliminated and AIDS-related maternal deaths reduced by half;<br />All new HIV infections prevented among people who use drugs;<br />Universal access to antiretroviral therapy for people living with HIV who are eligible for treatment;<br />TB deaths among people living with HIV reduced by half;<br />All people living with HIV and households affected by HIV are addressed in all national social protection strategies and have access to essential care and support;<br />Countries with punitive laws and practices around HIV transmission, sex work, drug use or homosexuality that block effective responses reduced by half;<br />HIV-related restrictions on entry, stay and residence eliminated in half of the countries that have such restrictions;<br />HIV-specific needs of women and girls are addressed in at least half of all national HIV responses;<br />Zero tolerance for gender-based violence.<br />http://www.un.org/en/events/aidsday/2011/<br /><br />L.O.V.E.
    <br /><br />[size=10pt]Thank you  :) !!!! [/size]<br /><br />In February 2005, Miss Taylor was one of the celebrities at a photo shoot for a Kenneth Cole World AIDS Day ad campaign to raise awareness of the disease. Before the photo shoot, her publicist said she would grant no interviews, but when I asked Miss Taylor directly if she'd give me a few sentences about her decades of activism about AIDS, she abruptly stopped her wheelchair and said, "I will do ANYTHING I can to help in the world of AIDS." ... And she went on for 10 minutes! It was truly the most exciting 10 minutes of my career as a TV producer and interviewer.<br /><br />ELIZABETH TAYLOR with Eric Allen: Elizabeth Taylor talks about HIV/AIDS <br />
    <br /><br /><br />Elizabeth Taylor speaks publicly at Macy's Passport, referring for the first time to Michael Jackson after his death, at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, CA on September 24, 2009.<br /><br />Elizabeth Taylor's live speech @ Macy's Passport refers to Michael Jackson. 2009 <br />
  • [size=10pt]About 3 weeks ago CNN re-uploaded the Magic Johnson HIV announcement that took place 20 years ago  :? !!!! I wonder why  :idea: ????[/size]<br /><br />[size=10pt]During a press conference in 7 NOVEMBER 1991 basketball legend Magic Johnson announces he has HIV and is leaving the NBA.Doctors and NBA officials respond to questions regarding Magic Johnson's announcement he has HIV.[/size]<br /><br />Magic Johnson HIV announcement Part 1<br />
    <br /><br />Magic Johnson HIV announcement Part 2 <br />
    <br />
  • I haven´t seen the interview of Miss Taylor with Eric Allen before. Thanks!<br />It´s very brave of Miss Taylor to stand up and talk publicly about HIV in times when it was taboo. She changed the negativity of her fame in positivity because she took the advantage to use her fame for publicity about HIV. I love her great sense of humor. She talked and laughed about the media and the news that she was ´dead´. She said something like "I´ve never read so much positivity about me since my ´death´"