Walgren and Brazil to receive award

applehead250609applehead250609 Posts: 2,615
edited January 1970 in News
[size=12pt]LA County Prosecutors To Receive National Award[/size]<br /><br />Deborah+Brazil+Jury+Reaches+Verdict+Dr+Conrad+iDB4vzvkSX8l.jpg  :lol: :lol: :lol:  lolol/ <br /><br />Next Tuesday, my friends and colleagues at the Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence (CLAAD, @claad_coalition) will recognize Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorneys David Walgren and Deborah Brazil for their excellence in the prosecution of Dr. Conrad Murray.  CLAAD is a national coalition dedicated to preventing prescription drug diversion, misuse, and abuse.<br /><br />CLAAD will commend the LA County prosecutors for their national leadership in implementing the policy recommendations set forth in the National Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Strategy (of which I am a primary author).  The National Strategy urges prosecutors to exercise moderation and to analyze facts in prescription drug cases from a medical perspective.  Some 30 non-profit organizations have endorsed this year’s National Strategy.<br /><br />CLAAD will issue a news release on Tuesday, Jan. 17.  If you are interested in obtaining information about the award before then, please e-mail info[at]claad[dot]org.<br /><br /><br />http://psbar.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/la-county-prosecutors-to-receive-national-award/

Comments

• GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    crash/
  • Thanks for sharing this with us. I think this is proof that the court proceedings were real.<br /><br />By the way - those two did a great job and deserve the award.<br /><br />Blessings.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Funny considering Propofol is not a prescription drug.
  • loyalfanloyalfan Posts: 1,641
    so does this mean we were wrong ???
    Propofol is not a prescription drug, loyalfan. Think about it. Why would the Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence, a national coalition dedicated to preventing prescription drug diversion, misuse, and abuse, be rewarding Prosecutors for convicting a man for administering a non-prescription drug?
  • Sarah31Sarah31 Posts: 249
    Oh, it isn't? So it's an over-the-counter drug? Try asking for it at your local drugstore.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    http://claad.org/resources/national-strategy<br /><br />Usual felt is strong as always. Orgs don't go without business. Business doesn't go without orgs.<br />http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pharmacofore-inc-announces-sponsorship-of-the-2011-claad-national-prescription-drug-abuse-prevention-policy-consensus-meeting-on-november-29-2011-in-washington-dc-121340423.html<br /><br />Btw, Wally and Ms. Brazil both deserve a smack each. They were fabulous.<br />Who wanted to marry Wally? <br /><br /> errrr <br /><br /> /overreacting/ <br />
    on 1326560511:
    <br />Oh, it isn't? So it's an over-the-counter drug? Try asking for it at your local drugstore.<br />
    <br />It's neither. Do some research.
    on 1326560605:
    <br />It's neither. Do some research.<br />
    <br /><br />Maybe you should do some more research. It's not a controlled substance, and that's probably what you mean. Of course doctors "prescribe" it, only that you usually get it at a hospital for surgery or for sedation in intensive care, etc., so you don't get a prescription and then go to the pharmacy to get it yourself, only doctors and hospitals can order it. That is also why it's not a "controlled substance", because only doctors and hospitals can buy it.
  • :roll:
    Oh, and before I forget ... Murray also gave Michael other drugs like Lorazepam, Valium, and Midazolam in high doses and the cause of death was "acute propofol intoxication in combination with the contributory effects of benzodiazepines".
    on 1326560977:
    <br />
    on 1326560605:
    <br /><br />Maybe you should do some more research. It's not a controlled substance, and that's probably what you mean. Of course doctors "prescribe" it, only that you usually get it at a hospital for surgery or for sedation in intensive care, etc., so you don't get a prescription and then go to the pharmacy to get it yourself, only doctors and hospitals can order it. That is also why it's not a "controlled substance", because only doctors and hospitals can buy it.<br />
    <br /><br />Propofol is not prescribed nor is it controlled. It is not a prescription drug and it is not a controlled substance and it is not an over the counter drug either. It is considered "medical supply" like any other anesthetic agent. Do not profess to know what I know.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20397799<br /><br />"Propofol is a sedative-hypnotic prescription medication that is widely used in anesthesia, long-term sedation, and conscious sedation."
    i am sorry ,i am still not sure what this news means to the hoax.........
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Nice new avatar applehead!! :lol: :lol:
  • on 1326561753:
    <br />
    on 1326560977:
    <br />
    on 1326560605:
    <br /><br />Maybe you should do some more research. It's not a controlled substance, and that's probably what you mean. Of course doctors "prescribe" it, only that you usually get it at a hospital for surgery or for sedation in intensive care, etc., so you don't get a prescription and then go to the pharmacy to get it yourself, only doctors and hospitals can order it. That is also why it's not a "controlled substance", because only doctors and hospitals can buy it.<br />
    <br /><br />Propofol is not prescribed nor is it controlled. It is not a prescription drug and it is not a controlled substance and it is not an over the counter drug either. It is considered "medical supply" like any other anesthetic agent. Do not profess to know what I know. <br />
    <br /><br />It seems like the FDA was trying to get it controlled: <br />http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2010/fr1027.htm<br /><br />http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr11/110401b.asp<br /><br />As far as I know they haven't gotten it into schedule IV (controlled) but sounds like it is being discussed.<br /><br />FYI: it is a prescription medicine, as an anesthesiologist working in hospital setting would have to (usually) write a prescription to the pharmacy for it, but this isn't always the case, as propofol is sometimes just 'stashed' by the anesthesiology crew (I know, it sounds strange but it does depend on the clinic, etc for propofol's control or lack thereof).  Also, it is NEVER prescribed outside of hospital settings the same way as other drugs are (such as oxycodon, allergy medicines, cough medicines, etc to be taken at home).  So in a way, it is both prescribed and not prescribed.  Not controlled yet, but sounds like they are thinking about it.<br /><br />
    Yes, they are trying to get it controlled, this has been going on for years now and the reason is ... Michael Jackson's death:<br /><br />http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-07-16/entertainment/17929149_1_sperm-donor-propofol-debbie-rowe<br /><br />And yes, it is a prescription drug, just not in the sense of the patients physically getting a prescription and then buying it themselves as it is only used in hospitals and administered by doctors (nothing like "take 1 at night").
  • _Anna__Anna_ Posts: 1,739
    on 1326556253:
    <br />Thanks for sharing this with us. I think this is proof that the court proceedings were real.<br /><br />By the way - those two did a great job and deserve the award.<br /><br />Blessings.<br />
    <br />Considering Murray shouldn't be guilty, what is wonderful what they did? Murray either is guilty, which means he killed Michael, or he is not guilty and then what is great about this?<br /><br />This means the trial was real. What is good in all this?
    exactly @ anna...my concern too.is this meaning michael is dead ???
  • on 1326564962:
    <br />exactly @ anna...my concern too.is this meaning michael is dead ???<br />
    <br /><br />It may be part of/or supporting whatever sting(s) is/are going on, especially against drug regulation and laws and medical industry.  <br /><br />I am not sure yet; I guess we will have to continue to research this and see how things unfold.  I have no doubt he is alive due to the other clues we have been given.<br /><br />
  • This is the first I’ve heard of this award :?  But while we’re speaking of “awards”  Branca is also receiving one, a Grammy.<br /><br />http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=7343<br /><br /><br />Estate executor John Branca to receive 2012 GRAMMY Service Award<br />It was announced in December by the GRAMMY Foundation that John Branca, a partner in the law firm of Ziffren Brittenham LLP and former Board Chair of the GRAMMY Foundation’s sister charitable foundation, MusiCares®, will be the recipient of the 2012 Service Award at the GRAMMY Foundation®’s 14th Annual Entertainment Law Initiative® Luncheon & Scholarship Presentation on Friday, Feb. 10, 2012, at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. Daniel Ek, co-founder and CEO of Spotify, will deliver the keynote address at this year’s luncheon.<br /><br />The Service Award was established in 2006 to recognize contributions by prominent entertainment attorneys that include outstanding service to individuals (pro bono or otherwise); leadership and participation with organizations that help advance the music community; and work to affect positive change that benefits the community overall. Past honorees include David Braun, Jay L. Cooper, John T. Frankenheimer, Joel A. Katz, Paul G. Marshall, and Al Schlesinger. The ELI luncheon is one of the most prestigious events held during GRAMMY® Week, a celebration that will culminate with the 54th Annual GRAMMY Awards at STAPLES Center on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012. The telecast will be broadcast live on the CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. ET/PT.<br /><br />“For close to 15 years, our GRAMMY Foundation Entertainment Law Initiative has created a forum where law students and seasoned attorneys can come together for research, dialogue and debate in the field of entertainment law,” said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy®, the GRAMMY Foundation and MusiCares. “This year, we are pleased to have a digital visionary such as Daniel Ek join us for what will undoubtedly be an insightful and thought-provoking keynote address. It is also our pleasure to honor our good friend, former MusiCares Board Chair and steward of our current MusiCares 20th Anniversary Campaign, John Branca, with our Service Award. Both of these individuals are at the forefront of our industry.”<br /><br />“It’s a really exciting time for the music industry,” said Ek. “Today we have the ability to listen to all the world’s music, instantly and wherever we are on the planet. That’s a pretty amazing idea and one which inspired me to launch Spotify. I’m a big supporter of the GRAMMY Foundation’s Entertainment Law Initiative and look forward to catching up with everyone in February.”<br /><br />“I’m honored by the recognition and pleased to join such a distinguished group of past Service Award recipients,” added Branca. “Daniel is one of our industry’s real visionaries, and I looking forward his talk, as well as hearing about the topics presented in the winning student papers — they often prove to be cutting-edge topics in our industry.”<br /><br />http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/press-release/dec-19-2011-405-pm<br /><br />Posted on 12-19-11<br />RENOWNED ENTERTAINMENT ATTORNEY AND FORMER BOARD CHAIR OF MUSICARES JOHN BRANCA TO RECEIVE SERVICE AWARD<br />SPOTIFY CEO DANIEL EK TO DELIVER KEYNOTE ADDRESS AT GRAMMY FOUNDATION®'S 14TH ANNUAL ENTERTAINMENT LAW INITIATIVE® LUNCHEON & SCHOLARSHIP PRESENTATION<br /><br />SANTA MONICA, Calif. (Dec. 19, 2011) — It was announced today by the GRAMMY Foundation that John Branca, a partner in the law firm of Ziffren Brittenham LLP and former Board Chair of the GRAMMY Foundation's sister charitable foundation, MusiCares®, will be the recipient of the 2012 Service Award at the GRAMMY Foundation®'s 14th Annual Entertainment Law Initiative® Luncheon & Scholarship Presentation on Friday, Feb. 10, 2012, at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. Daniel Ek, co-founder and CEO of Spotify, will deliver the keynote address at this year's luncheon.<br /><br /> <br />The Service Award was established in 2006 to recognize contributions by prominent entertainment attorneys that include outstanding service to individuals (pro bono or otherwise); leadership and participation with organizations that help advance the music community; and work to affect positive change that benefits the community overall. Past honorees include David Braun, Jay L. Cooper, John T. Frankenheimer, Joel A. Katz, Paul G. Marshall, and Al Schlesinger. The ELI luncheon is one of the most prestigious events held during GRAMMY® Week, a celebration that will culminate with the 54th Annual GRAMMY Awards at STAPLES Center on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012. The telecast will be broadcast live on the CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. ET/PT.<br /> <br />"For close to 15 years, our GRAMMY Foundation Entertainment Law Initiative has created a forum where law students and seasoned attorneys can come together for research, dialogue and debate in the field of entertainment law," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy®, the GRAMMY Foundation and MusiCares. "This year, we are pleased to have a digital visionary such as Daniel Ek join us for what will undoubtedly be an insightful and thought-provoking keynote address. It is also our pleasure to honor our good friend, former MusiCares Board Chair and steward of our current MusiCares 20th Anniversary Campaign, John Branca, with our Service Award. Both of these individuals are at the forefront of our industry."<br /> <br />"It’s a really exciting time for the music industry," said Ek. "Today we have the ability to listen to all the world’s music, instantly and wherever we are on the planet. That’s a pretty amazing idea and one which inspired me to launch Spotify. I’m a big supporter of the GRAMMY Foundation's Entertainment Law Initiative and look forward to catching up with everyone in February."<br /> <br />"I'm honored by the recognition and pleased to join such a distinguished group of past Service Award recipients," added Branca. "Daniel is one of our industry’s real visionaries, and I looking forward his talk, as well as hearing about the topics presented in the winning student papers — they often prove to be cutting-edge topics in our industry."<br /> <br />Ek, a serial entrepreneur and technologist who started his first company in 1997 at the age of 14, co-founded Spotify in 2006 with Martin Lorentzon. As CEO of Spotify, Ek's role is to guide the vision and strategy of the company as it grows. Leading the management team from his hometown of Stockholm, Ek is also responsible for nurturing a passionate working environment for everyone at Spotify.<br /> <br /><br />Prior to Spotify, Ek founded Advertigo, the online advertising company acquired by TradeDoubler, and previously held senior roles at Nordic auction company Tradera (acquired by eBay). He was also chief technology officer at Stardoll, the fashion and entertainment community for tweens that now boasts more than 100 million users worldwide.<br /> <br />Branca specializes in the music and live appearance industries. He is a leading artist representative, having represented an unprecedented 29 members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, including Aerosmith, the Beach Boys, Bee Gees, the Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, the Rolling Stones, and Carlos Santana, among others, and such other artists and celebrities as Enrique Iglesias, Nickelback and Mike Tyson. He has been at the forefront in the acquisition and sale of music publishing catalogs, including the acquisition of the Beatles catalog, ATV Music, for Michael Jackson, as well as its merger with Sony Music to create the world’s third-largest music publisher, Sony ATV Music. Branca has also been the architect of the sales of many major music catalogs, including Berry Gordy’s Jobete Music Co., the Kurt Cobain catalog, the Leiber and Stoller catalog, and the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization.<br /> <br />He serves on the board of trustees for Occidental College, participates as an active fundraiser for the UCLA athletic department and serves as the Co-Chairman of MusiCares' 20th Anniversary Campaign, a campaign in support of the leading industry charity devoted to helping members of the music community. Branca also serves on the Board of Trustees for the GRAMMY Museum and the Pauley Pavilion Renovation Campaign Committee.<br /> <br />ELI has three components: the Writing Competition, a GRAMMY Week ELI luncheon featuring a prominent keynote speaker, and a Legal Seminar series. The ELI Writing Competition invites law students to write a 3,000-word paper on a compelling legal topic facing the music industry today. Past award-winning topics have featured issues germane and timely to the music industry including bootlegging, music sampling and litigation against peer-to-peer network users. The deadline to submit an online application is Jan. 2, 2012, at 11 a.m. PT. For complete contest rules, send an e-mail to eli@grammy.com or visit www.grammyfoundation.org.<br /> <br />The contest culminates with the winning student authors discussing their essays in a question-and-answer presentation at the prestigious ELI luncheon. Past luncheon keynote speakers have included Edgar Bronfman Jr., chairman and CEO of Warner Music Group; Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.); Clive Davis, chief creative officer of Sony Music Entertainment; Timothy J. Leiweke, president and CEO of AEG; will.i.am, GRAMMY Foundation Board member and frontman/producer of the multi-GRAMMY-winning group the Black Eyed Peas; and Strauss Zelnick, former president and CEO of BMG Entertainment, among others.<br /> <br />Once again, this year the Foundation added ELI Writing Competition workshops at prominent law schools around the country with the goal of helping students with their essays. ELI also continued its partnership this year with www.box.com to allow students to upload their submissions directly over the Internet. Box.com's mission is to make it easy for individuals and businesses to access, manage and share all their content online.<br /> <br />For information on purchasing tables or tickets to the event, please call Loren Fishbein at<br />310.392.3777 or e-mail loren.fishbein@grammy.com.<br /> <br />The GRAMMY Foundation was established in 1989 to cultivate the understanding, appreciation and advancement of the contribution of recorded music to American culture — from the artistic and technical legends of the past to the still unimagined musical breakthroughs of future generations of music professionals. The Foundation accomplishes this mission through programs and activities that engage the music industry and cultural community as well as the general public. The Foundation works in partnership year-round with its founder, The Recording Academy, to bring national attention to important issues such as the value and impact of music and arts education and the urgency of preserving our rich cultural heritage. For more information, please visit www.grammyfoundation.org.<br /><br />Box was founded on a simple, powerful idea: people should be able to access and share their content from anywhere. Since 2005, Box has helped more than nearly 6 million individuals, small businesses and Fortune 1000 companies do just that. We want to reinvent what businesses can do with their content through Box's cloud content management platform, made for a new kind of worker, a new kind of workplace and a new kind of IT.<br /> <br /> <br />MEDIA R.S.V.P. MANDATORY:<br />Christina Cassidy/The GRAMMY Foundation/310.392.3777/christina.cassidy@grammy.com<br />Hilary Ratner/GRAMMY Foundation/310.392.3777/hilary.ratner@grammy.com<br /> <br /> <br /><br />Media Contacts:<br />Christina Cassidy<br />GRAMMY Foundation<br />310.392.3777<br />christina.cassidy@grammy.com<br /> <br />Hilary Ratner<br />GRAMMY Foundation<br />310.392.3777<br />hilary.ratner@grammy.com<br /> <br />Jaime Sarachit<br />The Recording Academy<br />310.392.3777<br />jaime.sarachit@grammy.com<br /> <br />ELI Program Contact:<br />Loren Fishbein<br />The GRAMMY Foundation<br />310.392.3777<br />loren.fishbein@grammy.com<br /><br />
  • AnaMarciaAnaMarcia Posts: 860
    This is bad for the hoax. Proof that the trial was real.  /scream/
  • read later..so much to say on this topic of Propofol ..<br />huggs n love n faith to all bearhug<br />suzz
  • I believe the trial was real but for not for the murder of Michael Jackson.  Rather the death of Dr. Feelgood.
  • TinkTink Posts: 1,175
    Oh ye of little faith. What this means, is that there have been loopholes around Propofol for a very, very long time!<br />Abuse by anesthesia students has been known for a longtime - they're the first ones who abused it, btw, while working and studying long hours. They'd knock each other out.<br /><br />This information itself, has been available since...Propofol has been used in the operating theatres. I myself, can't comprehend why anyone would want to use it, because it sure wasn't any fun for me, but then I had it for what it was meant for: surgery. I wasn't messing around with it.<br /><br />So - believe what you will. <br /><br />Remember what Elizabeth Taylor said, "He's resting comfortably." He was at Cedar's, not at UCLA.<br />