TMZ: Michael JacksonBlack Surgical Mask FetchingOver $20,000 at Auction

AKHTONIAKHTONI Posts: 325
edited January 1970 in News
[size=18pt]Michael Jackson -- Black Surgical Mask Fetching Over $20,000 at Auction | TMZ.com[/size]<br />4/26/2012 12:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF<br /><br />0425-michael-jackson-mask-1.jpg<br /><br />A black surgical mask that Michael Jackson allegedly wore the night before he died in 2009 has hit the auction block -- and the bids have already surpassed $20,000.<br /><br />According to the auction house -- Nate D. Sanders Auctions -- MJ wore the mask (above) while rehearsing for his "This Is It" concert tour on June 24th, 2009 ... the singer's last ever rehearsal.<br /><br />The auction house claims the mask  -- made of silk fabric, personally designed by the King of Pop -- contains visible traces of MJ's stage make-up along with a strand of his black hair.<br /><br />One of MJ's former bodyguards was in possession of the mask, and swears by its authenticity. MJ famously wore surgical masks outdoors as a form of disguise.<br /><br />0425-michael-jackson-kids2-1.jpg<br /><br />The auction ends April 30th -- and bidding has already reached $21,190. The auction house estimates the mask will sell for $50,000-$150,000.

Comments

• gwynnedgwynned Posts: 1,361
    ;D<br /><br />I love this part.<br /><br />
    One of MJ's former bodyguards was in possession of the mask, and swears by its authenticity. MJ famously wore surgical masks outdoors as a form of disguise.
    <br /><br />He FAMOUSLY wore them as DISGUISES.  Isn't that a bit of a contradiction.  The mask still has strands of hair on it?  Downright ghoulish I would say!
  • wishingstarwishingstar Posts: 2,927
    Well this is interesting......another ploy for money?  Another clue?  Who in the world knows.......here is the actual auction house site:<br /><br />Lot Detail - Michael Jackson's Own Surgical Mask Worn By Jackson Himself The Night Before He Died -- With Provenance by Jackson's Personal Bodyguard<br /><br />I guess I'll wait this one out.....no bidding for me, lol.  I have never heard of this auction house, however, they have many cool things on auction right now.  Sort of neat to go through.....<br />Thanks for posting it AKHTONI  : )<br /><br />Blessings Always<br /><br />This just seemed appropriate....enjoy! : )<br /><br />
    <br /><br />
    on 1335459323:
    <br />Well this is interesting......another ploy for money?  Another clue?  Who in the world knows.......here is the actual auction house site:<br /><br />Lot Detail - Michael Jackson's Own Surgical Mask Worn By Jackson Himself The Night Before He Died -- With Provenance by Jackson's Personal Bodyguard<br /><br />I guess I'll wait this one out.....no bidding for me, lol.  I have never heard of this auction house, however, they have many cool things on auction right now.  Sort of neat to go through.....<br />Thanks for posting it AKHTONI  : )<br /><br />
    <br /><br />You mean like this one?<br /><br />
    The John F. Kennedy Assassination / Lee Harvey Oswald Memorabilia Collection including his Casket & Death certificate Sold for over $150,000
    <br /><br /> :WTF:
    on 1335459778:
    <br />
    on 1335459323:
    <br />Well this is interesting......another ploy for money?  Another clue?  Who in the world knows.......here is the actual auction house site:<br /><br />Lot Detail - Michael Jackson's Own Surgical Mask Worn By Jackson Himself The Night Before He Died -- With Provenance by Jackson's Personal Bodyguard<br /><br />I guess I'll wait this one out.....no bidding for me, lol.  I have never heard of this auction house, however, they have many cool things on auction right now.  Sort of neat to go through.....<br />Thanks for posting it AKHTONI  : )<br /><br />
    The John F. Kennedy Assassination / Lee Harvey Oswald Memorabilia Collection including his Casket & Death certificate Sold for over $150,000
    <br /><br /> :WTF:<br />
    <br /><br />Wow....I missed that one.....I was looking at the Oscars.....I don't see that one listed....never mind...on the first page, LOL.... Just yuck!!!  Weird!!!!
  • AKHTONIAKHTONI Posts: 325
    on 1335459323:
    <br />Well this is interesting......another ploy for money?  Another clue?  Who in the world knows......<br />
    <br /><br />exactly!!  :computer-losy-smiley: what's hoaxy here?<br /><br />yes the song behind the mask go so much thanks. mike behind the mask. which mask? the blond lady mask  :computer-losy-smiley:
  • Barack Obama administration must return Michael Jackson memorabillia to Africa | TheBlaze.com<br /><br /><br />just saw this and thought i would put it here since i couldn't begin to come up with a short title for a new thread.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • RKRK Posts: 3,019
    This is the same surgical mask from the body guard we first heard about way back in '09 right? I wonder why it has taken this long for it to go to auction or are they recycling stories. Also the one strand of MJ hair reminds me of the other MJ hair for sale story... anyone else remember the hair supposedly retrieved from the shower drain? Which spins me off in a thought tangent to LaToya saying she took samples of hair from the body at Forest Lawn for toxicology testing.  My thinking's all over the place. Guess I should get some sleep as it is 4.30 in the morning on this side of the world. 
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Ridiculous, who buys that for that amount of money?? :icon_eek:

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• TinkTink Posts: 1,175
    The hair off the straight, or curly wig?  :thjajaja121:<br /><br />This is about as ludicrous as an elephant standing in the middle of the room, and everyone ignoring it.
    @suspicious mind.....how could Obama's admin take the stuff when the guys wasn't convicted of anything..... I don't understand the world sometimes  :Pulling_hair:<br /><br />@ RK...... I remember this article:<br /><br />Michael Jackson's hair, fished from shower drain, bought by Gambling website for $11k | Mail Online<br /><br />and this auction about his hair:<br /><br />MICHAEL JACKSON WIG - Price Estimate: $4000 - $6000<br /><br /><br />All these auctions of personal stuff like this is just odd.....why would someone pay that kind of money for that.  Art, music sheets, even hand written notes...maybe.  However, I always think what better use of that money could be to someone in need.....there are children staving all over, people living on the streets, animals even that need homes...better to put money towards things like that. <br />It's odd to think though, an authentic Michael Jackson mask is the Holy Grail of personal affects for a collector of such things.  It's a piece of cloth for heaven's sake.  Why treat it like gold?  I can get the fedora more....or even a glove maybe....but a mask?  Maybe because it's supposedly from June 24th, 2009?  Don't know....<br /><br />Blessings <br />
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    I can't believe they are serious about this.<br />First of all, nobody said until now that MJ was wearing a mask a day before June 25th.<br />Secondly, "personally designed by the KOP"  :WTF:, he's a tailor now?<br />Thirdly, I get the impression Mike had no make-up at the rehearsals.<br /><br />And now please tell me who t f is this person:<br /><br />V.jpg<br /><br />
  • AKHTONIAKHTONI Posts: 325
    on 1335466783:
    <br /><br />And now please tell me who t f is this person:<br /><br />V.jpg<br />
    <br /><br />ok his ear tells me it's not Mj
  • blankieblankie Posts: 2,350
    Money...money....  :computer-losy-smiley:...but......  :icon_rolleyes:  lucky the one who buys !!!!  :icon_lol:
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    The mask has fallen down. It's time for Michael to show up his face!  :icon_twisted:  :michael_jackson-1135:
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    on 1335467549:
    <br />
    on 1335466783:
    <br /><br />And now please tell me who t f is this person:<br /><br />V.jpg<br />
    <br /><br />ok his ear tells me it's not Mj<br />
    <br /><br />and also fingers. that's not Michael.
  • Is that Pablo??  :Pulling_hair:
  • skywaysskyways Posts: 745
    Wonder if there wl be demand of DNA test  on the twilight zone...
  • anybody else see the creepy faces in the background of that pic or is it just me? :Pulling_hair: :thjajaja121:
  • RKRK Posts: 3,019
    Yep...sure do. Just like old times hey suspicious. Behind either shoulder. Then there is the bald skull type reflection in the sunnies lens. Must be time for our annual Rorscharch test.
    on 1335460264:
    <br />
    on 1335459778:
    <br />
    on 1335459323:
    <br /><br />Wow....I missed that one.....I was looking at the Oscars.....I don't see that one listed....never mind...on the first page, LOL.... Just yuck!!!  Weird!!!!<br />
    <br /><br />Odd.  Wouldn't JFK be IN the casket?
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    on 1335465535:
    <br />Ridiculous, who buys that for that amount of money?? :icon_eek:<br />
    <br /><br />I would buy it if I had that money to spare.
    on 1335503526:
    <br />
    on 1335460264:
    <br />
    on 1335459778:
    <br />
    on 1335459323:
    <br /><br />Wow....I missed that one.....I was looking at the Oscars.....I don't see that one listed....never mind...on the first page, LOL.... Just yuck!!!  Weird!!!!<br />
    <br /><br />Odd.  Wouldn't JFK be IN the casket?<br />
    <br /><br />It was Oswald's......talk about a macabre piece of history....ew! <br /><br />Lee Harvey Oswald Casket Consignment<br /><br />This makes bidding on the mask look normal.......who in their right mind would want this coffin?  I guess a funeral parlor, museum maybe?  It's just creepy....really creepy.  <br /><br />Blessings<br /><br />
    There is a theory that Lee Harvey Oswald did not die and that the made for TV movie was merely for the public benefit.  Perhaps that's the explanation for the 'casket' being available for sale.  <br /><br />Here's what they say about it.<br /><br />
    Original pine coffin that held the body of Lee Harvey Oswald from his burial on 25 November 1963 until his exhumation on 4 October 1981. Amidst conspiracy theories that a look-alike Russian agent was actually buried in place of Oswald, a fierce legal battle erupted between Robert and Marina Oswald with the former trying to stop the exhumation and the latter pushing it forward. Marina's side prevailed, forcing an exhumation to determine who was actually buried in Oswald's grave. As Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin was lifted, evidence of extensive water damage to the casket was apparent -- the cover was weak in many areas and in one place had caved in partially exposing the remains. The coffin's wood exterior was very soft from moisture damage, and had dark areas of discoloration. Visible along the sides were the tarnished original metallic ornamentation. The interior of the casket also showed splotchy dark discoloration and moisture-softening of the wood. A portion of the original fabric that lined the top of the casket had fallen upon the decomposed remains. After a thorough medical examination, the pathologists assigned to the case officially identified the body as Oswald's as dental records positively matched. At a press conference later that day the following famous statement was made, "The remains in the grave marked as Lee Harvey Oswald are indeed Lee Harvey Oswald." After the news conference, Oswald's remains were transported back to Rose Hill Cemetery for re-interment in a new casket and vault. The original deteriorated coffin offered here, measures 80" long x 24" deep, with the thickness of the sides of the casket approximately one inch. Sitting on wood crate which measures 84" x 24". Accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity by Funeral Director Allen Baumgardner, who assisted at the original embalming of Lee Harvey Oswald and later purchased the Miller Funeral Home along with all of its property.<br /><br />This item sold in 2010 for $87,468
    <br /><br /> :WTF:
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    on 1335506461:
    <br />
    on 1335465535:
    <br />Ridiculous, who buys that for that amount of money?? :icon_eek:<br />
    <br /><br />I would buy it if I had that money to spare.<br />
    <br /><br /><br />Tell Michael that you give away one of their masks :icon_lol:
  • finfinfinfin Posts: 648
    on 1335464763:
    <br />This is the same surgical mask from the body guard we first heard about way back in '09 right? I wonder why it has taken this long for it to go to auction or are they recycling stories. Also the one strand of MJ hair reminds me of the other MJ hair for sale story... anyone else remember the hair supposedly retrieved from the shower drain? Which spins me off in a thought tangent to LaToya saying she took samples of hair from the body at Forest Lawn for toxicology testing.  My thinking's all over the place. Guess I should get some sleep as it is 4.30 in the morning on this side of the world.  <br />
    <br /><br />Yes @RK this does seem to be the very same surgical mask from 2009 - the News of the World article is no longer available, but here is some info <br /><br />Michael Jackson's bodyguard nabbed selling his mask<br />Michael Jackson's bodyguard nabbed selling his mask <br />Posted on 30 November 2009 (EST) <br />A bodyguard of Michael Jackson has been reported trying to sell a surgical face mask worn by the king of pop the night before he died. <br />                                        Michael_Jackson_3.jpg<br /><br />November 30, 2009, (Splash News) - A bodyguard of Michael Jackson has been reported trying to sell a surgical face mask worn by the king of pop the night before he died.<br /><br />The News of the World reports Eric Muhammad is secretly demanding $150,000 for the mask.<br /><br />In an apparent set-up, the paper allegedly caught out him trying to sell the black silky mask to a reporter posing as a businessman. He reportedly filched the mask after he took Jackson's three children to the Los Angeles hospital where the singer was ultimately pronounced dead.<br /><br />Video footage allegedly shows Muhammad, 36, saying: "This is the only way I could, you know, preserve it. This was HIS and you are more than welcome to DNA it. It still has his make-up on it. It still smells like him. It's very sentimental to me and it's personal. The number that I had initially in my mind was to offer it up for 200 hundred grand."<br /><br />The News of the World writes: "We were tipped off by an LA businessman who had already been approached, and our man took the 'customer's' place. Within seconds of entering our suite at the Intercontinental Montelucia hotel close to his home in Phoenix, Arizona, Muhammad was boasting of his close relationship with the Jackson clan."<br /><br />Interestingly Nate D Saunders auctions were also responsible for the Orange Pants sale. It seems it may have been the same bodyguard selling these, I never heard if they were eventually sold<br /> <br />Historic Michael Jackson Clothing from "This Is It' Movie Hits Auction Block This Week | PRLog<br /><br /><br /> and here is the original thread discussing this sale. <br /><br />Up For Auction..... Orange Pants!