"Catcher in The Rye" - Brainwashing & Asassination Tool

edited January 1970 in General Discussion
Wow, I am always hearing about this book, but never read it myself and Don't Plan to <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o -->

<!-- m -->http://www.henrymakow.com/catcher_in_the_rye.html<!-- m -->

Comments

• I read that book in high school, and LOVED it. It's one of my favorites, actually. I don't think there's any way it'll mess you up if you're a relatively smart and sane individual who knows who they are. The whole message of the book is about preserving innocence, not wanting to be a part of the "phony" adult world. I found it beautiful!! As long as we can think for ourselves, I don't think we should be afraid to read good books. I mean, one could argue that "Lolita" and "The Great Gatsby" and Hitler's "Mein Kampf" and a lot of other books are dangerous, subversive etc. We should judge for ourselves... You can always browse a book and read a few pages here and there before deciding if you want to read the whole thing.

One more thing: I doubt that J.D. Salinger, who was famously reclusive, intended "The Catcher in the Rye" to be a tool of brainwashing or anything like that.
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    John Lennon's killer (Mark David Chapman) was obsessed with Catcher in the Rye and saw himself like the main character in the book. He calmly picked up the book and started reading from it after shooting John Lennon 5 times in the back. John Lennon was someone who promoted peace and love and was against war.
  • Andrea, what are you implying? That the book itself is dangerous and can make people kill?! I'm sorry, but correlation is not causation. And having read the book, I have serious trouble seeing how it can be used by anyone to incite hatred or violence - especially against honest and peaceful people like John Lennon!

In any case, remember that pretty much anything can be skewed and made to appear dangerous or generally something it isn't. Sane people have been made to appear crazy, MJ was made to appear a child molester and weirdo etc. Question everything (even the "news" that Lennon's killer read the book)!! There are a LOT of things out there (including novels and movies and music videos) that are far more disturbing than this novel and could more readily be used to brainwash people.
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Andrea, what are you implying? That the book itself is dangerous and can make people kill?! I'm sorry, but correlation is not causation. And having read the book, I have serious trouble seeing how it can be used by anyone to incite hatred or violence - especially against honest and peaceful people like John Lennon!

In any case, remember that pretty much anything can be skewed and made to appear dangerous or generally something it isn't. Sane people have been made to appear crazy, MJ was made to appear a child molester and weirdo etc. Question everything (even the "news" that Lennon's killer read the book)!! There are a LOT of things out there (including novels and movies and music videos) that are far more disturbing than this novel and could more readily be used to brainwash people.

Hey truthprevails, I actually wasn't implying the book itself is dangerous or would cause anyone to go out and kill someone. I have nothing against the book or it's author! I was just stating a fact that Mark David Chapman was obsessed with the book and it's main character and did in fact continue reading it seconds after shooting John Lennon. And the title of this thread is "Cather in the Rye - Brainwashing & Assassination Tool". A brainwashing tool doesn't have to be something evil and I do agree with you truthprevails, that there are far more disburing things out there than this book. I do honestly think that Mark David Chapman was brainwashed to kill John Lennon because seriously, who would want to kill John Lennon??!? Mark David Chapman grew up loving the Beatles, particularly John. The U.S. government tried kicking John out of the U.S. for years but John just kept appealing it and was able to stay in the country. John said on record that his phone was being tapped. John Lennon was against war and violence and his songs were the anthems at peace protests - Give Peace a Chance, All You Need is Love, Imagine, Love, etc. I just think that certain people wanted to rid the world of John Lennon because of what he stood for. Same with Princess Di because these people were threats to the NWO agenda. And I hope and pray that MJ will come back to let the world know what is really going on and that the people will understand that if he hadn't faked his death, he would've been murdered as well, just like John Lennon and Princess Di before him. I only hope that people will actually listen to him and understand his message.

Peave and love!
  • Thanks for explaining, Andrea, I see your point. I agree that John Lennon wasn't killed by a mere "crazed fan"... Fans don't kill the people they admire/love! I do think there's a deeper, darker story there - and the same goes for MLK, JFK, RFK... Basically all the good people, who stood for noble causes. And if MJ didn't actually hoax his death, then in all likelihood he was murdered. I really hope we'll find out one day what really happened...

Peace and love to you too! <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
  • We had to read this book last year for school! We had a big discussion on how this book was banned in many states and on whether or not books should be banned. We also had many debates on the effects of things like that on society, not just books like this but also like violent video games and music and things like that.
    Good lets dance, why "dont you plan" on reading this book? I like it, in my opinion it's a good book and trust me if you know me it's very hard for me to find a book that I enjoy reading haha.
  • Books are one of the most powerful and influential things that can change the course of history and people's mind.
    Just to name the few:
    The Bible
    "Capital" by Marks
    "Mein Kampf" by Hitler..

I wouldn't underestimate the meaning of the books, if I were in your place.... (I work in a library, lol! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> )