NEVERLAND to be sold?

DancingTheDreamDancingTheDream Posts: 4,923
edited January 1970 in News

California could consider acquiring Neverland Ranch as a state park
By Torey Van Oot / McClatchy Newspapers
Monday, July 12, 2010 - Added 42 minutes ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As home to pop legend Michael Jackson, Neverland Ranch housed a working locomotive, a Ferris Wheel and other amusement park rides, a 10,000-volume library and a zoo.

But could the opulent Santa Barbara County estate become home to California’s newest state park?

A resolution is in the works to order state parks officials to study converting the roughly 2,600-acre property into a state park. The state NAACP is backing the idea, and a lawmaker has signaled he is on board to carry the legislation.

"I think Michael’s history is world history and I think it would become the No. 1 attraction for the state parks if we could pull it off," said state NAACP President Alice Huffman, who also serves on the state Parks Commission.

Huffman said in addition to celebrating Jackson’s contributions to music and pop culture, Neverland would join Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park as state parks honoring African Americans. Those factors, she said, would make Neverland a "great, great addition to the state parks system."

Assemblyman Mike Davis, who chairs of the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, and Internet Media, said while details of the resolution still need to be worked out, he thought the idea made "great sense" when it was first proposed to him at a recent reception.

"If they want to do it, I think it would be a great venture for the Parks Department of the state given the worldwide success (of Michael Jackson) and the fact that the state is lucky to have this property in our state," the Los Angeles Democrat said.

The property is controlled by Santa Monica-based Colony Capitol, LCC, a private-equity firm that acquired the ranch when Jackson was facing foreclosure in 2008. The company declined to comment, though company President Thomas J. Barrack Jr. told Bloomberg News last month he hoped to sell it for more $100 million when the housing market recovers.

While Huffman said she hoped the state could explore partnerships for acquiring the ranch, such a potentially high asking price could be a deal breaker for some stakeholders.

State parks spokesman Roy Stearns said the already cash-strapped parks department isn’t looking to add properties to its portfolio, especially one that would cost $100 million.

"There has been no participation in any discussions about us acquiring Neverland," he said. "At this point in time we have no interest in acquiring the property."

Davis and other supporters also pointed to Tennessee’s Graceland, the privately-owned and operated estate of Elvis Presley, as an example of how such a venture could create revenue. Graceland park operations generated $36 million in revenue in 2009, according to the Memphis Business Journal.

Huffman likened a Neverland state park to Hearst Castle, another high-dollar celebrity dwelling that has come into the state’s hands.

The San Simeon estate of newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst was donated to the state in 1957 and welcomes about 800,000 visitors a year.

A tour costs $24 per person, but Stearns said it isn’t exactly a money-making venture for the state.

"It’s usually close to breaking even, but it’s an expensive place to maintain," he said.

Still, Huffman said the historic value of the property makes the idea worth exploring, even if profit levels are questionable.

"Even if it breaks even, when you’re preserving history and you’re making it available to the public, there are other values to that are assigned more than the money," Huffman said. "I think it would be a money-maker, but (more importantly) I think it’s a piece of California history and world history that ought to be preserved."

<!-- m -->http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nation ... 6&srvc=rss<!-- m -->

Comments

• ejayejay Posts: 455
    «hmm interesting. Didnt MJ give a speech at one of his birthday parties saying he would make `` NEVERLAND more accessible to the public``. I saw it on youtube but dont have the time right now to search for it.
  • Hmm...this would be a great way to preserve the property and keep it out of the hands of greedy people who will tear it up for profit. I can see Michael backing something of this nature. As the person above said, it would open it up and make it more accessible.
  • missdanipytmissdanipyt Posts: 412
    I personally think it would be amazing to be able to go there and ride the rides and see all the zoo animals if they could get those back and hopefully they could try to recreate the home as when Michael lived there so people would be able to go in and feel the magic <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • suspicious mindsuspicious mind Posts: 5,984
    hm didn't someone say something earlier about there being something of a large natural resourse on that property?
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    I'm afraid this whole thing stinks to me. A lovely idea if it was backed by MJ, but to be done by a society that made fun of his choice of home while he was alive, and now wants to make money off it's 'historical' value ... well, I feel sick.
  • I'm afraid this whole thing stinks to me. A lovely idea if it was backed by MJ, but to be done by a society that made fun of his choice of home while he was alive, and now wants to make money off it's 'historical' value ... well, I feel sick.

Yeah, and the stuck up snobs there will protest that they don't want the traffic, parking problems, and road expansions that would be necessary to handle the influx <!-- s:twisted: -->:twisted:<!-- s:twisted: -->
    I'm afraid this whole thing stinks to me. A lovely idea if it was backed by MJ, but to be done by a society that made fun of his choice of home while he was alive, and now wants to make money off it's 'historical' value ... well, I feel sick.

Yeah, and the stuck up snobs there will protest that they don't want the traffic, parking problems, and road expansions that would be necessary to handle the influx <!-- s:twisted: -->:twisted:<!-- s:twisted: -->
    Yes I agree, I'd feel much better about this knowing it was backed by MJ. I wish it wasn't always about money but about what Neverland really stood for!!
  • Game PlayerGame Player Posts: 386
    State parks spokesman Roy Stearns said the already cash-strapped parks department isn’t looking to add properties to its portfolio, especially one that would cost $100 million.

I don't think it will happen any time soon.
  • mumof3mumof3 Posts: 1,973
    Sounds sad to me
  • mumof3mumof3 Posts: 1,973
    Sounds sad to me
  • suspicious mindsuspicious mind Posts: 5,984

I don't think it will happen any time soon.

so the purpose is just to draw attention to neverland? yet again.
  • I recently google-mapped MJ's property and it no longer looks like the original Neverland. Has anyone else noticed this or are we being made to believe something that is not true?!?!?!??!?!
  • DancingTheDreamDancingTheDream Posts: 4,923
    I fear Jermaine is about to get his wish.

I also have odd feelings about this... MJ left Neverland and vowed never to return. To me, MJs heart isnt at Neverland.

I think someone should buy it and tear it down and rebuild something new and just let the memory of MJs Neverland remain in our hearts and our minds.
  • PJ4MJPJ4MJ Posts: 323
    I don't think it's going to happen...I can't imagine California convincing taxpayers that it's a really good idea right now to pony up millions to buy MJ's property for a state park. Good luck with that one!

What ever came of the discussion of Neverland, anyway? It's empty... it's being kept up and people are working there...what's the deal?
  • I fear Jermaine is about to get his wish.

I also have odd feelings about this... MJ left Neverland and vowed never to return. To me, MJs heart isnt at Neverland.

I think someone should buy it and tear it down and rebuild something new and just let the memory of MJs Neverland remain in our hearts and our minds.

I know what you mean but if they tore it all down it would break my heart <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> . What they did to Neverland was disgusting but it's still Michael's creation, a place he dreamt of, a place where he could enjoy himself without worrying about anything... I understand Michael not ever wanting to return but to me Neverland will always be magical because Michael has walked those grounds many many times. He felt safe there, he experienced joy there, he also made many others exeperience joy there. I'll always think of Neverland the way Michael intended it to be.

I know that this is probably all about money as usual but my selfish side really wish I could visit Neverland one day without it being demolished.
  • Why would he need Neverland when he was wonderland?
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    suspicious mind wrote;

hm didn't someone say something earlier about there being something of a large natural resourse on that property?

if I also read that last year would have to search .. <!-- s:geek: -->:geek:<!-- s:geek: -->
  • AnaMarciaAnaMarcia Posts: 860
    I think the sad news. View Neverland become a public property ... gives a sense of loss. Does Michael is behind it too? I think he could not live there, but I really wanted to see himself inaugurating something in Neverland! It's sad.
    Hopefully that is a lie. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->
    I fear Jermaine is about to get his wish.

I know what you mean but if they tore it all down it would break my heart <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: --> . What they did to Neverland was disgusting but it's still Michael's creation, a place he dreamt of, a place where he could enjoy himself without worrying about anything... I understand Michael not ever wanting to return but to me Neverland will always be magical because Michael has walked those grounds many many times. He felt safe there, he experienced joy there, he also made many others exeperience joy there. I'll always think of Neverland the way Michael intended it to be.

I know that this is probably all about money as usual but my selfish side really wish I could visit Neverland one day without it being demolished.
    I feel the same exact way as you!!!!
  • andy1andy2andy1andy2 Posts: 212
    They just said on my local news that "There is a new proposal to turn Neverland Ranch into a state park" Its just a propasal right now but I think that would be great.
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 470
    Interesting.
  • mjboogiemjboogie Posts: 1,067
    <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    State? Yeah, to make it a winery of course. I don't think that is going to happen, I think some Santa Barbara elites would like to have it, the land is very valuable.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• teine21teine21 Posts: 898
    I like how neighbors were against having MJ buried there because of the crowds that it would draw to their neighborhood but yet there's talks about turning it into a state park? Don't they think a lot of people will go there for that? Hope it doesn't happen. It should stay peaceful & beautiful like it is now. I know MJ didn't want to live their anymore, he said it was just a house BUT it's gorgeous, they should do something better with it or just leave it alone.
  • I agree with Souza! There is no money to be made by making the Neverland property into a state park. I just cannot see it happen unless someone is profiting big time in the venture.