GERMANTOWN, MD, 20875
Tel. (240) 671-7660
Email: <!-- e -->UMPG.LICENSING@UMUSIC.COM<!-- e -->

SQUASH EM MUSIC
C/O UNIVERSAL MUSIC-Z TUNES LLC
2100 COLORADO AVENUE
SANTA MONICA, CA, 91404
Tel. (310) 235-4700
Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:UMPG.LICENSING@UMUSIC.COM">UMPG.LICENSING@UMUSIC.COM</a><!-- e -->

UNIVERSAL MUSIC-Z TUNES LLC
UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING INC LOCKBOX
15031 COLLECTIONS CENTER DR
CHICAGO, IL, 60693
Tel. (310) 235-4700

Contact ASCAP at 1-800-95-ASCAP (1-800-952-7227)
for other publisher information.

Comments

• simalvessimalves Posts: 730
    Jackson, Michael - Michael´s new songs
    Expert: Anita M Bailey - 7/2/2010

Question
    Hello Anita, I´m so glad you´re back!I usually do a lot of research about Michael but, can´t always find all the answers I need. I know you are very busy right now, working on your book, so I hope I´m not bothering you. I have a Cd with all Michael´s albums from "Off The Wall" to "Invincible" (it´s a Chinese edition) and some other songs like "One More Chance", "What More Can I Give" or "Why"(with 3T). This Cd also includes new songs supposedly recorded in 2007/2008, let me give you the title of each song: "Let Me Let Go", "Someone Put Your Hand", "Shout", "I Need You"(with 3T), "Ride With Me", "Biggerman", "Get Out Of My Mind" and "Mamacita"(with Santana), this songs are classified as a "2008 pre-new album". There are two other songs "Gangsta(No Friend Of Mine)" and "Xcape" which I don´t know either. Do you know something about any of this songs? Was Michael really working in a new album? If so, why it was never released? How is it possible that all this songs are available in China and not in the rest of the world? (I´ve heard that in China, they were selling the This Is It´s Dvd some time before it was released in the United States or in Europe). Thank you Anita, God bless you.

Answer
    Hi, Nela

It's great to hear from you. Thank you for your questions.

First, I recommend that you purchase or get a copy of "Michael Jackson For The Record" by Chris Cadman and Craig Halstead. They do a great job of documenting music written, produced, recorded by Michael and the Jackson 5/Jacksons.

And Yes. Michael was always working on music even when he was away from the public eye. Michael worked with so many people in the music industry. You would be surprised at some of the songs he wrote for others and sang background vocals on! Some songs Michael wrote like years ago, but never recorded. But when he was ready to record a previous written song, he would just update it, change the vocal arrangement, change the title, etc. Michael, of course, would record demo songs written for him by other songwriters/artist but sometimes those songs were not released nor did they make the final cut to be included on his album.

Here is a breakdown of the songs you mentioned and all of them are on YouTube, too:

Let Me Let Go-was sung by Jason Malachi who sounds unbelievably like Michael. Go to <!-- m -->http://www.myspace.com/jasonmalachi<!-- m -->.

Someone Put Your Hand aka "Someone Put Your Hand Out"-written by Michael and Teddy Riley for his Dangerous Album, but it didn't make the cut. It was eventually released in 1992 in the US as a part of a compilation album "Signature Series". It was also included in his box set "The Ultimate Collection" released in November 2004.

Shout-a song written by Michael with Edward Riley, Claude Forbes, Roy Hamilton, Samuel Hoskins and Carmen Lampson for his Invincible Album, but it didn't make the cut. It was released in the UK in December 2001.

I Need You(with 3T)-recorded by Michael with his nephews, Tito's three sons hence 3T's, for their debut album Brotherhood released in 1995. The song was written by Taryll Jackson and Michael sang background vocals.

Ride With Me-was an instrumental written by Rodney Jerkins and Michael singing background vocals, but not a new song by Michael.

Biggerman aka "Bigger Man" was written and recorded by Tom Cochrane not Michael. Jason Malachi also recorded a version of this song.

Get Out Of My Mind-written by French composer, Nicolas Piedra and recorded by French Artist, Ayhnik. Ashanti and Ja Rule did a version of this song, too. Michael was not involved with this recording.

Mamacita(with Santana)-written by Cupeta Jason Edward and recorded by Jason Malachi not Michael.

Xscape-written and recorded by Michael for his Invincible Album but it never made the cut. It was
    not released. This is a great song.

Gangsta (No Friend of Mine) written and record by Rapper Tempamental with Michael and Prakazrel Samuel Michel, known as Pras from the group Fugee. This is a great song,too!

Second, Not to get too technical. Let me just give you some background on the music business. The way the music business works is that when a song/album is commercially released, the record company determines what "territory or territories", the music will be available for the public to purchase. It often depends on how well the record company believes the song/album will sell. I noticed in Cadman and Halstead's book, alot of music Michael was involved with since he started singing wasn't commercially released domestically, meaning in the US but was commercially released internationally in places like your hometown, United Kingdom, Belgium, Canada, parts of Africa and so on. That's why your hometown tends to have music and Michael Jackson memorabilia we have never heard of nor had in the US! Michael was an international performer and he has a great fan base overseas. Unfortunately, The US has not always been so kind to Michael!

Also, in order to handle the demand for all things Michael, the record company will stagger the release dates of his music to make sure that music stores, radio stations, etc receive their copies of his music in a timely fashion for customer to purchase and for them to promote.

Michael's music was often released both in the US and overseas, but for whatever reason, was discontinued by his record company in the US but bootleg copies were still available internationally. Often those who worked with Michael in the studio or co wrote songs with him would release their versions of his music. In addition, international music publishers who owned the rights to distributing Michael's music overseas, often continued to release his music, even if his music was not being released domestically, in the US.

In the future, you can search the following music publishers databases to find out information about any song, go to 1)ascap.com 2)Emi.com 3)harryfox.com 4)bmi.com 5)umusicpub.com 6)mpa.org

Hope this helps. Have a Blessed Day!
  • Thanks for the very interesting info, simalves!

Yes, all signs point to Jason Cupeta being the real name of Jason Malachi (which was taken as a "stage name"). If you google "Jason Cupeta", you'll find a lot on that... For instance, the domain jasonmalachi.us is registered to Jason Cupeta (the address being a PO box in Germantown, MD):
    <!-- m -->http://whois.domaintools.com/jasonmalachi.us<!-- m -->

Domain Name: JASONMALACHI.US
    Domain ID: D29878491-US
    Sponsoring Registrar: FAST DOMAIN INC.
    Registrar URL (registration services): whois.fastdomain.com
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registrant ID: FAST-14800851
    Registrant Name: Jason Cupeta
    Registrant Organization: JMRP
    Registrant Address1: P.O. Box 733
    Registrant City: Germantown
    Registrant State/Province: Maryland
    Registrant Postal Code: 20875
    Registrant Country: United States
    Registrant Country Code: US
    Registrant Phone Number: +1.2063098693
    Registrant Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:malachirecords@hotmail.com">malachirecords@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->
  • Nothing about "Breaking News". Would be good to know finally if it is Michael's.
    Malachi should be barred from singing like MJ. His voice that very much sounds like Michael's treaks Michael's fans . <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • Incredible job investigating this - thank you!!!!!

This is really interesting. It's not surprising that Jason has taken a stage name but great job in putting the pieces together.

I'm really annoyed that the US has been so unkind to Michael. It's making those of us that do love his music suffer as a result. That is not fair.

I am interested to know more about the Michael/Jason connection. While I don't think Jason is Michael and I don't think Jason sounds identical to Michael you can tell he's tried to mimic his singing in some ways...and he sounds pretty good. Am I right in assuming that Jason has met Michael?

I will be interested to see what more can be found on those songs. Blessings.
  • simalvessimalves Posts: 730
    I have listened to all the songs, and let me let go, sounds more like Michael than any of the others. In fact most of them sound like just a normal white guy singing.

Let me let go, is listed as being written by Jason, but the performer's name is blank, so that was done on purpose.