Any Survival tips for Economic Collapse?

White_OrchidWhite_Orchid Posts: 406
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
I hope economic collapse does not happen but what if does happens. Have you thought what you would do?

http://www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/6111

Is Jermaine really a deadbeat dad _ or is the message no money? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

Did Oprah and Gail really like fishing and camping out_ or was the message alternative lifestyle? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

<!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: -->

Comments

• SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    Good question there is apparently a big economic collapse on the way. Maybe a good thing would be to withdraw all the money we have in bank... but if there is an economic collapse the money will be worth... nothing <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> . So yes maybe that we should learn how to live "alternative" lives = without money. Or how to undo a whole lifestyle in not much time... maybe we should buy sleeping bags... it's cold outside <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->
  • a food pantry is definately a good starting point.
    there is supposed to be a site : justamom.com i think for tips
  • NightOwlNightOwl Posts: 150

I found the things on this list quite funny - peanut butter? Popcorn? <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Really, who needs those in a food crisis?
    White rice, pasta - no real nutrition in those. A good idea woukld be to buy a dryer and dry food - veggies, fruit, meat, berries, mushrooms - drying holds the vitamines, stores in a very small space, doesn't rot, very light to carry. Just add water, let it swell and use.
    Portable toilets on top of the list to disappear? <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Much wiser to just use the bush, or dig a hole in the dirt and go.
    The less one needs the easier the task.
    In a longer term, buying seeds and starting a backyard garden is a thought I've heard often recently. I'm hoping to be able to start my own in the spring. Not because of the potential crisis, but because the price of vegetables has gone up, and who knows what's sprayed on them.

Yes, what to with money in the bank? I've read that buying something valuable and physical ,like gold, would be wise. However, the price of gold has gone up (for wiser people having bought it already?). Silver maybe? Rather in small portions like coins than big lumps (like I had the money for a kilo..). Money in the bank is only digital numbers, take it out and if the collapse comes, it's toilet paper. I have been thinking about buying gold or silver just in recent times.
  • http://www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/6111

I found the things on this list quite funny - peanut butter? Popcorn? <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Really, who needs those in a food crisis?
    White rice, pasta - no real nutrition in those. A good idea woukld be to buy a dryer and dry food - veggies, fruit, meat, berries, mushrooms - drying holds the vitamines, stores in a very small space, doesn't rot, very light to carry. Just add water, let it swell and use.
    Portable toilets on top of the list to disappear? <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Much wiser to just use the bush, or dig a hole in the dirt and go.
    In a longer term, buying seeds and starting a backyard garden is a thought I've heard often recently. I'm hoping to be able to start my own in the spring. Not because of the potential crisis, but because the price of vegetables has gone up, and who knows what's sprayed on them.

Yes, what to with money in the bank? I've read that buying something valuable and physical ,like gold, would be wise. However, the price of gold has gone up (for wiser people having bought it already?). Silver maybe? Rather in small portions like coins than big lumps (like I had the money for a kilo..). Money in the bank is only digital numbers, take it out and if the collapse comes, it's toilet paper. I have been thinking about buying gold or silver just in recent times.
    don't forget the water. rinse bleach bottles to store it . supposed to help with impurities i guess.

don't forget the water. rinse bleach bottles to store it . supposed to help with impurities i guess.

Yes, water is a must. Economic crisis wouldn't probably close the water faucets, and I have my own well too. But the price of food would sky rocket.
  • http://www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/6111

Thanks for this info.
    Will silver and gold be useful? I don't know why but I don't think so... I was imagining myself lost somewhere in the forest and really gold or silver will not help imo <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> . More seriously, let's imagine we are in the situation where there is no more money... I think that it will be more about barter? What do you think? Also a lot of people have not the means to buy more than they do right now to live and cannot store food and other things... like me for example <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> So really if it happened I think that I will eat the leaves on the trees or graze the grass like a sheep <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    I'm making fun of it but I know that it's a possibility and that if it happens for real then I will laugh a little less...
  • I always make sure that I have enough food, water, first aid supplies and entertainment for a month. I know entertainment might sound silly, but when you have children, you will want something to entertain them. I have a huge bag that I keep the supplies in. Coloring books, colors, word search, markers, play dough, these are the kind of things that I have for the entertainment. I also keep crackers, dry cereal, canned goods (veggies, fruit, meat, beans),instant oatmeal. We also have a gallon of water for each person in the family for each day. Just make sure that you rotate these things because they will expire. Just think of things that you think you will need on a daily basis and put in a bag. Another good thing that we have is a lot of charcoal, so we can cook. We don't use any starter fluid, we use what they call a chimney starter(you only need paper to get the charcoal going). Don't forget candles, batteries and flashlights. Don't worry about money because it will get you no where, you can't survive in an economic collapse on money, you need to have the basics.
    We started doing this when the year 2000 was coming around. We didn't know what was going to happen and I wanted to make sure that my children had what they needed to survive. These things have helped us when we have lost power due to a winter storm. My husband thought I was crazy at first, but when we had the basics to survive he was very thankful.
  • Its herIts her Posts: 1,137
    a food pantry is definately a good starting point.
    there is supposed to be a site : justamom.com i think for tips
    Yes, I took note of this site, also, from the radio, (for homework). We never should have gotten away from "putting food by", each fall, ourselves, as our grand parents did for centuries. Depending on Kroger to keep you alive all winter is nothing short of foolhardy. They run out of items every <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> snowfall (here), when there is a run on staples. It only takes three days without a supply line for the grocery to go belly up.

And,

<!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> I would say that if you have or will have a baby, or young children (who will be under 4 in 2012-13), stock up on high quality baby formulas and cereals, and canned meats for toddlers. Grown people who are hungry can sustain themselves on baby food, but babies can't develop or thrive on adult foods--especially as most American adults eat crap. I don't know of a cost effective way to do this, yet. Perhaps the WWW can enlighten me. I'll post anything good I find.

Adults can eat things which, most people have not traditionally seen as foods. (Remember, "Ever eat a pine tree...?" <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> There are books for desperate times.) Plant lots of sunflowers and daylilies. They will come up every year. They deplete the soil of potassium, but the experts are saying the "crisis" is only expected to last 12-18 months. The sunflower seeds and daylily roots are highly nutritious (unless one is deathly allergic).

Wheatberries, brown rice are things which thieves won't take, as they won't be looking for something too hard to eat without cooking. In glass these items keep for years. Same with dry milk.

Most "healthy" American's can live weeks off the fat already on their bodies. Stock up on baby-friendly food, in stead of snack foods or adult foods with very limited shelf life. Rancid oils in these foods do more damage to the body than weeks of under-eating. Baby and toddler preparations are all preservative free, and healthier for everyone. A child's little brain is literally saved by good nutrition, and ruined by even slight starvation, even for 18 months. Keeping them well nourished is crucial. More needful than feeding any adult...Just my two cents. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Sorry but rice and beans ARE good things to have,the rice acts as a filler and the beans have fiber and protien in them just like the peanut butter does.For those lucky enough to hole away in their own homes try to think of alternate ways of heating for noone will have any power.The government will cut the power grid quicker then you can snap your fingers and it will most likely happen during the winter when we are the most vulnerable for heat.We have invested in indoor heaters that run off of propane that way when the rioting starts(and it will) we won't have any smoke coming from our chimney to show we are even at home.Also think of essentials as if you are going to be camping(roughing it).Money won't be worth anything the U.S. is already seeing to that and the money issue in the end is the U.S. governments fault anyway.
  • jilljill Posts: 917
    Rice and beans are a good staple to have. They can keep you from starving. My husband and I have started to buy and store dry goods. Anything that has a long shelf life, we are just rotating them out in use.

I have discovered you can buy many items on ebay in "lots". Many toiletries and every day items can be bought this way, for much less than you would pay even now in the stores. For example, I bought a lot (11) count, of antiperspirant for just $16 including shipping, it saved me $16, a lot of hair products (12) count for just $35, it saved me over $55 for what I would have paid for it in the store. It is definitely worth checking out. These items can be stored and used over a long period of time and save you a lot of money.

It is also recommended that you get a "camp" stove. A portable grill that works on a small propane tank in case the power goes out. LED lanterns are also another good thing to have.
  • Hunting Equiptment as well, I mean how much food can you possbly store? Plus weapons a many people would attemp to take yiu supplies, it would become a very selfish society!

I cannot get over the fact, that I believe that this was a planned economic collaspe.
    They lred many by making homed too affordable and gave way billions of dollars as home equity loans were so so easy to recieve!! Then, increase the loan heavily so the homeowner cannot afford it and the bank ends up with the property!! The banks want to rule the world, and t dpes not take a rocket scientist to know that the government was well aware of what the greedy banks were doing the whole time. Yet the did absolutely nothing to stop it, yes they tried to act as they actually care after 3 million plus had already lost their home. Tell me how hard would it have been for the government to set a interest rate increase criteria for all banks in place ? Say the loan could increase no more than 1% ofthe original loan balance per year. It would'nt, right! Who the hell do they think they are fooling!

Update: CNN, Bank Of America to resume foreclosure preceedings as of 12/10/10, that's
    right bank hurry throw them out before Christms!!! Shameful!
    Yeah it is the end of the year and hey need to hurry up as the government will reimburse them for their bad assets!!
    Rice is good - just not WHITE rice, but brown rice. In general, these lists of course need to be made according to location based facts and our own food cultures will have their effect too.

Sarahli, you asked the very question: Will silver and gold be useful? Their price has gone up like crazy. My newest option is to buy land. I'm not rich, but I could afford a few hectares near here. Land is concrete and you can use it for self sufficiency purposes - wood, hunt, berries..

I'm not sure has to actually run and hide in the woods because of ECONOMIC crisis. Would it get so bad? I think it's a manufactured thing too, and what is happening in Europe - Greece, Ireland... I think the Domino pieces are being put to line and some have speculated that Portugal would be the next piece.

To become more detached from money, it's wise to try to become as self sufficient as possible. Learn useful skills like how to use edible plants and mushrooms. I wish I could build a cottage and fix a car <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Ezekiel 7:19
    19They cast their silver into the streets, and their gold is like an unclean thing. Their silver and gold are not able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD. They cannot satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it. For it was the stumbling block of their iniquity.
  • Start and maintain a vegetable & fruit garden. Some stuff that can be eaten raw. Find another family with similar beliefs and likes and think seriously of joining troops with them. No one will be able to make it alone. Join forces and work together. Keep some seeds. They will come in handy.