Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publi

ignisaeternusignisaeternus Posts: 553
edited January 1970 in News
Very interesting!

Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing
<!-- m -->http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/02/16/mi ... publishing<!-- m -->

Exclusive: Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry.
For all these years, Michael’s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael’s hits that he wrote, like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It,” but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.
Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.
But there’s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson’s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.
According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago. It would be triggered by the release of the next Jackson album–in this case, the recent “Michael”–and the repayment of loans.
The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale, Sony
Sony/ATV could be kicking the tires of each company’s publishing divisions for purchase. But Warner Chappell might be less interesting to Sony ATV considering they’re already getting Mi Jac. And without MiJac, Warner Chappell–which just had a down quarter–might not look so good to other potential buyers.
What may happen now: the newer, and very hot, BMG Music Rights will likely make a play for EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music–the record company, which has the Beatles albums in its catalog–the physical albums and box sets–could then be merged with another record company like Sony Music or, more horrifyingly, Warner Music. Stay tuned.
Categories: Celebrity, Music

Comments

• Interesting. Now if I can only get this fully. lol Anyone want to explain this in simple terms?
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    Yeah...confusing...
    Probably because there has always been on going business with Michael during his "hiatus". I've never read ANYTHING about this Warner. I'd even researched it awhile ago when I heard Warner was going for sale. We had posts on it. It was on TMZ. How could Sony BUY it if they OWN it already??
    This is crazy. There has to have been some moving done lately we didn't hear about. Strange with Michael now having the largest contract ever isn't it??
    Some one with more understanding of this, please look into our other posts on the sale of Warner by Sony and see what you can find about how this relates to Warner, MiJac Music and Sony NOW!!!
    I'm confused...again... <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • I haven't looked at the other post...but it sounds like they may be selling off the other half to SONY? or whatever percentage that MJ still owned?
    Remember he retained most of that catalog....from what I have read.

Just my 2 centavos
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Interesting. Now if I can only get this fully. lol Anyone want to explain this in simple terms?
    That Sony is going to make lots of $$$

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• Interesting. Now if I can only get this fully. lol Anyone want to explain this in simple terms?
    That Sony is going to make lots of $$$
    Okay that's what I was thinking but Michael's Estate will still have ownership of the catalog correct?
    Right...of course.
    The way I think it goes...Michael bought ATV...then Sony bought half, which means Michael now owns, what a half of ATV. or does he now own half of Sony music...I doubt THAT.
    So, as his music, Mijac music was NOT part of the ATV collection, that was safe from others profiting from it or him losing it to Sony. That music was administered by Warner...they collected the moneys for it for a fee.
    Now if Sony bought Warner, they'd NOT own Mijac music, but collect monies from the royalties for a fee now. But, Michael would still own his music, collect the royalties from Sony (Warner).
    Seems like..Michael just cut out the middle man...Warner!!
  • Yeah, it sounds like that MiJac Publishing has always belonged to Michael and therefore the Estated, but was for some reason set up to be administered by Warner Chappell ( seems like it migh have been collateral in a loan) . There was probably a clause that if Warner music group goes belly up or has to be sold that MiJack would automatically go back under the ATV catalogue (Warner cannot sell what they don't own, after all).

Sounds to me like all the eggs are going back into one basket. And this seems planned,as it states that the release from MiJack from Warner back to ATV was coupled to the release of a new album, - Michael. So, was someone (MJ?) planning to get control back over all his assets? That's how I interpret it anyway.
  • Right...of course.
    The way I think it goes...Michael bought ATV...then Sony bought half, which means Michael now owns, what a half of ATV. or does he now own half of Sony music...I doubt THAT.
    So, as his music, Mijac music was NOT part of the ATV collection, that was safe from others profiting from it or him losing it to Sony. That music was administered by Warner...they collected the moneys for it for a fee.
    Now if Sony bought Warner, they'd NOT own Mijac music, but collect monies from the royalties for a fee now. But, Michael would still own his music, collect the royalties from Sony (Warner).

Okay it's getting clearer to me. Thanks for the explanation.
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Right...of course.
    That's what I get too. It seems Sony gets rewarded in a lot of ways, which makes me believe at least some key people there are on his side.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• Right...of course.
    Lol- seems we posted at the same time. I totally agree with how you see it. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • Thank you for sharing this! I agree - very confusing.

My interpretation is that the company that currently holds the contract to administer the rights to MiJac music (just the rights, not the actual music) has lost it's contract. This apparently was written in the original contract between WMG and MJ years ago. It was probably a clause stating that if Warner were in a position where they needed to sell that the MiJac contract would default to Sony/Atv or Sony/Atv would gain first rights.

From my understanding Warner MG made hefty profits off of managing these rights. So, if Sony/Atv regains these rights it means that MJ will benefit because not only will he get the same portion as before for owning the music but now he will also get 1/2 (or better) for managing the rights too. This gives him more control over his own music. Smart move, if you ask me. Was this something that Branca was involved with years ago?

I don't know if Michael had anything to do with this now but it was a smart move to have this in his contract. Just my opinion. Also, this does place Sony/Atv in a powerful position. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edit: fordtocar - I just saw your post. Exactly what I was trying to say. Blessings!
  • Perhaps the infamous John Braca is still protecting his and MJ's estate interest in this deal?
    Again...RIGHT ON!!
    Great Michael move. He cuts out the middle man, and so, SONY now will pay him royalties, and Sony gets paid to do so, by him. It's a circle. He's paying himself. Just moving the monies around.
    Mijac music.
    Sony collects the royalties.
    Sony pays Mijac the royalties.
    Mijac pays Sony to collect it.
    Mijac music is Michael.
    Sony/Atv is also Michael.
    Just moving monies <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Absolutely- another brilliant, pre-planned shell game.
  • lilwendylilwendy Posts: 788
    The man is amazing.... that's all I gotta say.....
    Nope... actually that's not all I gotta say...
    One more thing...

[youtube:2tpy3hce]

Well done Michael.
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    So whats up with Branca then ???

Taaj2001 twittered this .....

Branca you certainly are doing your job FOR $$ONY, instead of paying off debts, you increase collaterol!!! WTF
  • Again...RIGHT ON!!
    Great Michael move. He cuts out the middle man, and so, SONY now will pay him royalties, and Sony gets paid to do so, by him. It's a circle. He's paying himself. Just moving the monies around.
    Mijac music.
    Sony collects the royalties.
    Sony pays Mijac the royalties.
    Mijac pays Sony to collect it.
    Mijac music is Michael.
    Sony/Atv is also Michael.
    Just moving monies <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Thank you ford, this made it easy to understand! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

NOW, I get it finally!!! hahaha
    So whats up with Branca then ???

Taaj2001 twittered this .....

Branca you certainly are doing your job FOR $$ONY, instead of paying off debts, you increase collaterol!!! WTF

Branca had to have arranged this as he works for Michael. Didn't he arrange the original deal with Sony and ATV? I think so. It sounds like they were going to use the Michael lp to pay off some loans, maybe to Sony, and now that Mijac is moving Sony, they will get paid to collect royalties on his songs, so they make more money than just on a loan (Sony) and Michael get more money to be just paying himself and not Warner, plus they have Warner music as collateral and collect on other artists also.
    IF they buy Warner...which I've read that they just may cut Warner out as the value of them isn't so much without Mijac, and move on to acquire BMI, which is huge. Either way Mijac moving to Sony/Atv is a very good thing for Michael, unless they exercise a clause I've read about..which Michael's portion could be absorbed my Sony...I need to read more on that one..
  • Ok.....this appears to be a good thing, from what some have said....but I'm still confused with the positions of Sony and Branca with Michael, so I'm looking for anybody who could share some insight. It could be that I'm not remembering some things that have been uncovered, or the opinions most seem to share about the two, as there has been a MOUNTAIN of information to process over the last many months, so please bear with my possible misunderstanding.....that's what I'm looking to you intellects for....to help gain understanding.

Weren't we at one point thinking that Sony was front and center in the thought process of "those who were trying to take Michael down"? And this also included Branca, who appeared (at least to us beLIEvers) to be working with Sony, but, as an attorney for the estate, would "appear" to really be working for Micheal (or the estate)? So wouldn't that make them "the bad guys"?????? We know about Branca being fired, not turning over the will, then supposedly being re-hired, and having a/THE will, which most suggested was not a valid will, which was sort of contested but not really (Katherine and Randy), suggesting some shady things going on.

But....this new arrangement of the music catalogs appears to indicate that Branca could be helping Michael (hhhhmmmmm.....the estate) gain more financial control over his music. Is this more shady dealings for his own benefit (and Sony), or is he maybe part of a plan for a TAKE OVER of Sony music that he and Michael could be working on......

So if there is a take over of Sony music in place, and Micheal is spearheading the project, ("out-thinking them") eventually Michael could be calling alot of the shots within the Sony music business, allowing him to run the business with integrity and honesty and allowing artists to be treated with respect and some freedom.

The statement that Michael made in This Is It, "We have 4 years to get it right...." has always bugged me. It never made sense, and still is VERY confusing because it could refer to different things...Do you think it could refer to a possible take over of Sony music, taking 4 years to accomplish?

Is Sony music headed for new ownership??? (complete ownership)
    Who is Branca really working for?
    Is this catalog arrangement a good thing for Michael?
    Could we have one more thing to have to figure out, cuz the ba-zillion things so far have not been enough.........(*MacCaully-hands-to-the-face-aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!*)

My head hurts.......

Help!
  • Ok.....this appears to be a good thing, from what some have said....but I'm still confused with the positions of Sony and Branca with Michael, so I'm looking for anybody who could share some insight. It could be that I'm not remembering some things that have been uncovered, or the opinions most seem to share about the two, as there has been a MOUNTAIN of information to process over the last many months, so please bear with my possible misunderstanding.....that's what I'm looking to you intellects for....to help gain understanding.

Weren't we at one point thinking that Sony was front and center in the thought process of "those who were trying to take Michael down"? And this also included Branca, who appeared (at least to us beLIEvers) to be working with Sony, but, as an attorney for the estate, would "appear" to really be working for Micheal (or the estate)? So wouldn't that make them "the bad guys"?????? We know about Branca being fired, not turning over the will, then supposedly being re-hired, and having a/THE will, which most suggested was not a valid will, which was sort of contested but not really (Katherine and Randy), suggesting some shady things going on.

But....this new arrangement of the music catalogs appears to indicate that Branca could be helping Michael (hhhhmmmmm.....the estate) gain more financial control over his music. Is this more shady dealings for his own benefit (and Sony), or is he maybe part of a plan for a TAKE OVER of Sony music that he and Michael could be working on......

So if there is a take over of Sony music in place, and Micheal is spearheading the project, ("out-thinking them") eventually Michael could be calling alot of the shots within the Sony music business, allowing him to run the business with integrity and honesty and allowing artists to be treated with respect and some freedom.

The statement that Michael made in This Is It, "We have 4 years to get it right...." has always bugged me. It never made sense, and still is VERY confusing because it could refer to different things...Do you think it could refer to a possible take over of Sony music, taking 4 years to accomplish?

Is Sony music headed for new ownership??? (complete ownership)
    Who is Branca really working for?
    Is this catalog arrangement a good thing for Michael?
    Could we have one more thing to have to figure out, cuz the ba-zillion things so far have not been enough.........(*MacCaully-hands-to-the-face-aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!*)

My head hurts.......

Help!

Great, great questions Tylerjo. I could be way off base but I will share what my research and gut feeling have me thinking after these 20 months.

I do believe that Branca is working for Michael. I think they probably worked out any problems they've had. I also think he was hired back before "the death" specifically to help on the legal and financial side of this. I'm not sure if Branca knew before being hired back but my feeling is that he has to know the truth. Nobody can deny what an excellent legal council he is and how he's managed to help Michael.

I also believe you have a valid point with BACK's comment of "A TAKEOVER" or Michael's comment of "they didn't think that this perform would outhink them". Both of these comments indicate a long term plan/process where Sony is one of the targets.

I think that Michael has patched some, maybe all of his personal disagreements with people at Sony but what keeps standing out to me is that Michael can separate friendship with business. Look at Paul McCartney for an example. "It's just good business" as Michael has said in regards to the Beatles catalog. It wouldn't matter how good of a relationship he had with leaders at Sony he was deeply disturbed at how the artists, black artists in particular, were/are treated. They make the music companies millions/billions of dollars yet some of them have to perform well into retirement years or else they'd be broke. Michael spoke of this during his gripe with Sony. Michael is also in a rare position where he can do something about it. No other artist has the power over the music industry like Michael does. If anyone can change the way artists are treated it will be Michael.

I saw an excellent video recently (can't remember from whom) where it was explained that Michael has been buying up shares of Sony Corporation (not just music). By doing this he is gaining a major control not only in the music part of Sony buy as a major stockholder of the whole company. Since Sony Corp is a publicly owned company Michael won't be able to own it by himself but if he's a major stockholder he certainly will hold a lot of power. To me, this is an excellent strategy. I can't wait for the next part of that video to come out as there is promised more information on this.

So, Michael, with his lawyers help is gaining control back not only of his music but it's my belief that in the end he will treat all of these artists fairly by giving them more creative control, etc.

The comment "4 years to get it right" has bothered me too. I don't think he was referring to the end of the world, like some have claimed. I believe it's the window of opportunity (whenever he really said that - 2008?) he believes he has - his educated guess.

As far as MiJac going to Sony - I don't see it as anything but positive for Michael. I would like to know if, as mentioned, Sony can absorb Michael's portion since he is already part-owner. I hope not.

These are my thoughts - Maybe I'm too hopeful but I think Michael is in full control of what is happening and I'm anxious to see what else transpires with Michael and Sony/Atv. Blessings.
    I'm stilllllll researching this one...but someone tell me, wasn't most of the Sony stuff with Michael with TOMMY Matolla, and Tommy is not with Sony since 2003..sooooooo maybe things are looking up for Michael <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
    I'm stilllllll researching this one...but someone tell me, wasn't most of the Sony stuff with Michael with TOMMY Matolla, and Tommy is not with Sony since 2003..sooooooo maybe things are looking up for Michael <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

So if Sony now own half of Michael's half...then Michael owns a quarter?
    Plus I found this on wikipedia..

n 2006 Sony obtained an option to buy half of Jackson's stake in the company at any time for a fixed price of $250M. Sony has not exercised the option.

So you have to wonder, with Michael "gone" for over a year and a half, why Sony hasn't the other half. And in the time, gave Michael the biggest recording contract in history, and now, with this other possible buy, it really makes me feel, either Michael is really negotiating, or Branca is quite the business man for Michael, because surely Sony would've obtained this other half, it about money bottom line.

Forwarded Message
    Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:18:31 -0600
    To: Jeff *****
    Subject: Michael Jackson/Mijac

Jeff:

I understand that you are being asked a lot of questions about Mijac.

Yes, there is a matching right that Michael granted to Sony/ATV but they only get to administer the catalog for a limited term AND only if they agree to unprecedented favorable terms. We will not relinquish ultimate control and ownership to anyone. We have favorably refinanced the loans on Mijac which will be paid off and the catalog WILL absolutely be passed to Michael's children as long as we have anything to say about it.

Sony/ATV is a great company and the Estate owns half of it but no one, not even Sony/ATV, will ever own Mijac while John McClain and I remain in charge.

The current Sony team is the one Michael chose to work with on the Thriller 25 release and they are good partners. As stated in the recent court filings, they worked with us to refinance the burdensome debt that had been placed on Michael's interest in Sony/ATV to very favorable terms, an important achievement which insures that Mijac and Michael’s masters remain secure for the benefit of Michael's children for years to come.

I would appreciate your sharing this with the fans that are asking questions.

Thanks – John

John Branca
    Co-Executor
    The Estate Of Michael Jackson
    Los Angeles, CA

• Forwarded Message
    Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:18:31 -0600
    To: Jeff *****
    Subject: Michael Jackson/Mijac

Jeff:

I understand that you are being asked a lot of questions about Mijac.

Yes, there is a matching right that Michael granted to Sony/ATV but they only get to administer the catalog for a limited term AND only if they agree to unprecedented favorable terms. We will not relinquish ultimate control and ownership to anyone. We have favorably refinanced the loans on Mijac which will be paid off and the catalog WILL absolutely be passed to Michael's children as long as we have anything to say about it.

Sony/ATV is a great company and the Estate owns half of it but no one, not even Sony/ATV, will ever own Mijac while John McClain and I remain in charge.

The current Sony team is the one Michael chose to work with on the Thriller 25 release and they are good partners. As stated in the recent court filings, they worked with us to refinance the burdensome debt that had been placed on Michael's interest in Sony/ATV to very favorable terms, an important achievement which insures that Mijac and Michael’s masters remain secure for the benefit of Michael's children for years to come.

I would appreciate your sharing this with the fans that are asking questions.

Thanks – John

John Branca
    Co-Executor
    The Estate Of Michael Jackson
    Los Angeles, CA

THANK YOU for sharing this with us! This is exactly what we thought - and it's great news for sure. Blessings!
    You are welcome <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->))