Michael Jackson Died $400 MILLION In Debt

SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
edited January 1970 in News
Michael Jackson Died $400 MILLION In Debt
6 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

Michael Jackson owed more than $400 million to creditors when he died in 2009 ... this according to legal documents obtained by TMZ.

0217-mj-money-ex-getty-tmz.jpg

TMZ has obtained the first accounting that MJ executors filed ... showing exactly how much money Michael owed when he passed away on June 25, 2009 ... and how much the estate has made since -- and the numbers are astounding.

According to the documents, the estate has already made more than $310 million since MJ's death.

Documents show excecutors have already spent roughly $159 mil paying back various debts, income taxes and other expenses such as providing "uninterrupted support for Mrs. [Katherine] Jackson and Michael Jackson's children as Michael intended."

The estate has also paid for Katherine to make "substantial improvements" to the family's famous Havenhurst estate in Encino, CA.

Executors have also shelled out cash to "pay last illness and funeral and memorial service expenses."

In addition to the $400 million in debt -- MJ's estate had $40 million in liabilities to concert promoter AEG stemming from the "This Is It" tour ... which MJ was rehearsing for when he died.

The documents show the estate received more than 65 creditor's claims -- with some of the debt accruing interest at "extremely high" rates.

The MJ executors admit the estate still faces several lawsuits in multiple countries.

The executors also claim they have "successfully rebuilt and enhanced Michael Jackson's image" since they've been empowered to run the estate.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Comments

• AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Is this supposed to be new news? Isn't that the amount that has been thrown around since he "died"?

I wonder if $400 million is how much the hoax is costing Michael...

TMZ has added this last line to the article:
    The executors also claim they have "successfully rebuilt and enhanced Michael Jackson's image" since they've been empowered to run the estate.
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    I say BS on the 400 Million and also on the 310 Million. I don't believe he was in dept and I remember it was reported months ago the estate made already 900 Million.
    The estate has also paid for Katherine to make "substantial improvements" to the family's famous Havenhurst estate in Encino, CA.

Like a batcave?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• He was in dept, they have been reporting that sense 2006. But not as much as the media claimed
    I think the "Estate" is making sure all the legalities of the hoax are taken care of. And I'm sure that requires paying off a few people.

I don't think he was ever in debt either, although he may have been in debt "on paper" to look like he was.
  • Ok.. this is my take...

If Michael did die... and he was in debt... then, who cares??

I dont know why they go on and on about this debt!!!

You cant take it with you when you die... so, actually, Michael played it the best way. He made a shed load of money and he spent it ALL (and gave it to charity).

Live your life when you are alive. Money is there to enjoy and use. No use when you are cold in a coffin.
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    Yeah he was so in debt that he was buying a castle in Ireland. Just one word for the "new" news >>> BS!
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Article changed:
    MJ Estate Made $310 MILLION Since Michael Died
    46 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

The Michael Jackson estate has made more than $310 million since MJ died back in 2009 ... this according to legal documents obtained by TMZ.

0217-mj-money-ex-getty-tmz.jpg

TMZ has obtained the first accounting that MJ executors filed ... showing exactly how much money Michael owed when he passed away on June 25, 2009 ... and how much the estate has made since -- and the numbers are astounding.

According to the documents, MJ had more than $400 million in various debts when he died ... but the estate has already made more than $310 million since.

Documents show excecutors have already spent roughly $159 mil paying back various debts, income taxes and other expenses such as providing "uninterrupted support for Mrs. [Katherine] Jackson and Michael Jackson's children as Michael intended."

Executors have also shelled out cash to "pay last illness and funeral and memorial service expenses."

In addition to the $400 million in debt -- MJ's estate had $40 million in liabilities to concert promoter AEG stemming from the "This Is It" tour ... which MJ was rehearsing for when he died.

The documents show the estate received more than 65 creditor's claims -- with some of the debt accruing interest at "extremely high" rates.

The MJ executors admit the estate still faces several lawsuits in multiple countries.

• 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    He was always "assest rich". Whether he had money in his pocket to buy candy, is not "Breaking News".!!

"successfully rebuilt and enhanced Michael Jackson's image" Hmmmmm, is Michael having more plastic surgery or something ??
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    So, why the headline change? The article is the same. Did Michael think it was to derogatory? Was he trying to draw attention to the money made not the debt, so it was reworded to focus on the other ??
    Opinions.... ?
  • Didn't Janet pay most of the cost of the funeral?? Or did I make that up in my mind?
  • LavdHimLavdHim Posts: 352
    I wonder how can his father have 2 billion to invest when michael is in debt <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
    this must be BS . <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • ForstAMoonForstAMoon Posts: 1,126
    Having debts does not mean being bankrupt or insolvent. One may still live well and spend money and nothing wrong is to happen to him as long as he service his obligations.

MJ probably had some loans outstanding, maybe some were due maybe not, but looking at the value of his assets, I do not think it was as bad as media use to report it.
  • Having debts does not mean being bankrupt or insolvent. One may still live well and spend money and nothing wrong is to happen to him as long as he service his obligations.

MJ probably had some loans outstanding, maybe some were due maybe not, but looking at the value of his assets, I do not think it was as bad as media use to report it.
    this^ everyone has a debt to pay off , it does not mean "bankrupt"
    It seems like TMZ is starting to recycle their own articles from the early days in the hoax, this one and the one from earlier today "MJ Was On the Hunt For The Perfect Anesthesiologist" being the latest examples. I've noticed in the last few days that some TMZ articles that are posted here have a post within the thread of another TMZ article about the same thing (or very similar anyways) from the first few weeks after June 25, 2009. Coming full circle, maybe??
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    So, why the headline change? The article is the same. Did Michael think it was to derogatory? Was he trying to draw attention to the money made not the debt, so it was reworded to focus on the other ??
    Opinions.... ?

yeah why did they change the headline? TMZ is reading our posts here and decided to change it? or Michael decided to change it for whatever reason? it's interesting.
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221

That is that of the " last illness" <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->
  • Ok.. this is my take...

If Michael did die... and he was in debt... then, who cares??

Creditors care. Even if person dies, there is a contract and valuable estate to pay off debts. That is how it works. There are secure and non secure creditors. So, secure creditors can take assests to satisfy debts. There is no way they say: "Ok fine, he died and we forget our debts". No way! Therefore, Estate makes money and pays debts, just like Michael would do if he would have not been behind the scene.
  • How can you run an empire and have that much in debts? I don't get it. Still i think that $310+ million is no where near the real number.
  • ForstAMoonForstAMoon Posts: 1,126
    How can you run an empire and have that much in debts? I don't get it. Still i think that $310+ million is no where near the real number.

It is definitely possible. From shareholders perspective debt is actually often better than their own money. For an enterprise debt is more advantageous than own funds, as the cost of debt (interest) is tax-deductible, unlike cost of own sources. So, if the company is profitable and pays taxes, then the interest on debt decreases the tax bill. Plus, what I think was also very important is that by getting debt, you are not giving ownership to the company, in case of MJ - to his assets.
  • How can you run an empire and have that much in debts? I don't get it. Still i think that $310+ million is no where near the real number.

It is definitely possible. From shareholders perspective debt is actually often better than their own money. For an enterprise debt is more advantageous than own funds, as the cost of debt (interest) is tax-deductible, unlike cost of own sources. So, if the company is profitable and pays taxes, then the interest on debt decreases the tax bill. Plus, what I think was also very important is that by getting debt, you are not giving ownership to the company, in case of MJ - to his assets.

Thanks for the explanation. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Notice the bills used in the pic? 20's, a 10, a 5 and a 1. That's pocket change.

Hint.
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    Notice the series number on the 20 bill in the left? 80364211

8+3+6+4+2+1+1= 25=7 <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    He was in dept, they have been reporting that sense 2006. But not as much as the media claimed

Who are they ? In this area nobody can know for sure without acces to all the financials.

If he faked his death why can't we believe he faked his financials too? It's way much more easy to invent some debts.

But the way the article is written leaves the impression that Michael faked his death to escape debts or to make enough money to cover them and to restore his image too.
  • Andrea I agree with you "It seems like TMZ is starting to recycle their own articles from the early days in the hoax". I have noticed that too. I think TMZ is going to be stirring up different articles...not so much in the positive light about Michael to refresh the BS in many people minds to get them interested in watching the up coming trial. For us, we know so many of these articles are BS or for a reason. On the positive side maybe these articles may get non believers to start saying "wait a minute, what's going on here". I am going to have to tune into the trial. I think that it is really important that there will be a good audience. You know largest audience ever to watch a trial sort of thing. Record breaking numbers so to speak. After all, in so many cases, we are finding out that numbers mean everything. Take care, Love to All
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    I believe that MJ had debts, as any one here. We need to pay bills and those are debts, car, mortgage, whatever. The difference is that MJ´s debts are according to his life standards and has a lot of people to feed. Let´s not forget that Michael is taking care, according to the info wrtitten by TMZ, of Alejandra and her kids as an example, and also Katherine and Joe were supported by Michael. His economical burden was pretty big and I think that is not on the level like any of us who can make a living with our job incomes.

Since MJ "died" he, the MJ estate, is facing creditors who have been abusing Michael making up bills with too many ceros.

Michael is getting his economy in order and is being helped out by professionals.