Michael Jackson Blamed for Botching Lawsuit

fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
edited January 1970 in News
Michael Jackson Blamed for Botching Lawsuit
2/25/2011 12:50 PM PST by TMZ Staff

Katherine Jackson's business partner wants the MJ Estate off his back in a legal war over MJ merchandise ... claiming Michael himself picked the same fight when he was alive ... until he realized he couldn't win.

0225-mj-howard-getty-tmz-ex-1.jpg

Long story short -- the Estate wants Howard Mann to stop using MJ's name and image to hock various websites, books, and other products. Problem is, according to Mann, this is the exact same lawsuit that Michael pursued back in 2004 ... only to "abandon" the legal fight in 2006.

Mann claims ... because Michael bailed on the case, and a judgment was issued against the singer, he lost the legal right to stop Mann's company from using his image to sell merchandise.

Mann claims the the Estate shouldn't get a second bite of the apple ... by being allowed to sue for the same claims in 2011.

Now, the case is in the hands of a federal judge -- who will decide to either green light the case ... or shut it down.

Comments

• Anything to use Michael's name for its own purpose. Why do they do that?
  • That's a great picture of Mike... But aren't they all? <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    I do not understand this, as is that Katherine is a partner of man who once Michael demand? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->
  • Who the fuck is this mother fucker? Estate must win and get green light. Katherine does stupid moves too. Legally she also cannot use MJ's name without Estate permission. Yes, her son. But that's the law. She needs to get qualified legal advise before doing anything.
  • Who the fuck is this mother fucker? Estate must win and get green light. Katherine does stupid moves too. Legally she also cannot use MJ's name without Estate permission. Yes, her son. But that's the law. She needs to get qualified legal advise before doing anything.

AGREE WITH YOU. I don't understand why katherine is doing business with this scavenger.. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Just my opinion....
    but it is starting to sound like Katherine might be wishing she had never met this Mann character about now herself.

It probably all sounded good on the surface when presented to her by Mann.
    A nice book about her son etc.
    Which has turned into yet ANOTHER lawsuit nightmare.

It is sounding to me like Mann [Mr shady] stepped in and took advantage of a
    broken heart-Katherine's.

My 2 cents.
  • Just my opinion....
    but it is starting to sound like Katherine might be wishing she had never met this Mann character about now herself.

Why Katherine's heart is broken? Michael is alive, right? If Michael is alive, what fuck she needed memorabilia fucking books to publish with help of this mother fucker?
    IF GOD FORBID MICHAEL TURNS OUT IS DEAD, I AM GONNA GO TO ECINO AND PLACE A HUGE SIGN OF SHAMFUL WORDS ON HER ADDRESS AND EXPLANATION DEMAND HOW SHE COULD GO TARGET STORE WHEREAS MICHAEL WAS PASSED FOR just 4 DAYS, AND HOW COME SHE and KIDS NEVER ATTENDED FOREST LAWN AFTER BURIAL.
  • You guys may already be aware of this....I knew some of it but not they why's sooooo....thought I would share.

<!-- m -->http://sandiegoestatecenter.com/2010/12 ... nevitable/<!-- m -->
    Huge Dispute Between Michael Jackson’s Estate and Howard Mann Seems Inevitable

Posted on | December 29, 2010 |

In 2001 the parents of Michael Jackson, Katherine and Joe Jackson, sold an enormous Jackson family memorabilia collection in a bankruptcy auction. The collection of memorabilia was originally intended to be put in a planned family museum. However, when Katherine and Joe Jackson hit financial hardship in 2001 they sold it instead. The collection eventually ended up in the hands of a New Jersey construction company owner, Henry Vaccaro. Vaccaro later set up a pay-per-view website where fans could pay a fee to view the collection material.

In 2004, Michael Jackson sued Mr. Vaccaro and his company, “Vintage Pop,” for copyright infringement, cybersquatting and violation of his privacy rights. However, after the pop singer’s acquittal on child molestation charges Jackson refused a deposition and stopped paying his attorneys. This apparent abandonment of the lawsuit against Vintage Pop led the district court judge overseeing the case to dismiss the claim “with prejudice.” This ruling may mean that no one in the Jackson estate can ever sue “Vintage Pop” for copyright infringement or any of the other causes of action set forth in that 2004 complaint initiated by Michael. It turns out that this ruling became very profitable to one Howard Mann.

Howard Mann bought the memorabilia collection and “Vintage Pop” from Mr. Vaccaro as an investment opportunity just after Michael passed away. Howard Mann claims that since he now owns Vintage Pop and the Jackson memorabilia collection that he can do with it as he pleases without interference from the Jackson estate. He claims this immunity due to the previous court holding that dismissed the 2004 suit against Vintage Pop “with prejudice.” Mann claims that this ruling shields his collection and any use of that collection from any intellectual property claims made by the Jackson estate. Loyola Law School professor Georgene Vairo seems to agree with Mann’s claim from a civil procedure prospective. Professor Vairo asserts that by Michael abandoning the 2004 case he has already had “his bite at the apple” and has essentially “forfeited his intellectual property” that Mann now owns.

Just a few months after the singer died, Howard Mann approached Katherine Jackson (Michael’s mother) with a business opportunity. Since Mann owns the collection and since Katherine does not feel that she gets enough monthly money from the Jackson estate, Mann made her an offer that she apparently could not refuse.
    He offered to collaborate with her in selling the collection items such as photographs, family videos, etc. in a multitude of ways. The current venture seems to be a book of photographs that Katherine Jackson co-authored that even Oprah helped to promote. The book is comprised of photographs of Michael which are all a part of the memorabilia collection that Mann still owns.

Estate attorneys for the Jackson family have yet to make any legal move to interfere with Katherine Jackson and Mann’s pursuit to sell the intellectual property for profit. However, the estate’s attorney Howard Weitzman has said that the estate will be taking “appropriate legal action.” Mann’s claim to immunity has yet to be tested in court which means the final verdict on his ability to use the memorabilia collection as he sees fit remains to be seen. The Jackson estate thus far seems hesitant to speak up against Katherine Jackson because she is the guardian of the belated singer’s three children and highly adored by his fans.

Well that answers [ for me anyway] WHY this went to a Federal judge to decide.
    Howard Mann is a bloodsucking vampire.
  • Just my opinion....

Why Katherine's heart is broken? Michael is alive, right? If Michael is alive, what fuck she needed memorabilia fucking books to publish with help of this mother fucker?
    IF GOD FORBID MICHAEL TURNS OUT IS DEAD, I AM GONNA GO TO ECINO AND PLACE A HUGE SIGN OF SHAMFUL WORDS ON HER ADDRESS AND EXPLANATION DEMAND HOW SHE COULD GO TARGET STORE WHEREAS MICHAEL WAS PASSED FOR just 4 DAYS, AND HOW COME SHE and KIDS NEVER ATTENDED FOREST LAWN AFTER BURIAL.

I will leave from Montreal and join you that is for sure. There must be a lie somewhere. I am sure these tabloids are lying some how. I don't know anymore. I am a very positive person, and I have enormous faith in God, but right now I am getting fed up... Lies, lies lies. and always more lies. katherine knew that Michael fought him before, so why did she join this idiot.. I hope God can come down and tell us.. wishful thinking.
  • katherine knew that Michael fought him before, so why did she join this idiot.. I hope God can come down and tell us.. wishful thinking.

Well there is always the chance that Katherine did not know.
  • mumof3mumof3 Posts: 1,973
    I wonder if randy will say something soon he has been quiet
  • Just my opinion....

I will leave from Montreal and join you that is for sure. There must be a lie somewhere. I am sure these tabloids are lying some how. I don't know anymore. I am a very positive person, and I have enormous faith in God, but right now I am getting fed up... Lies, lies lies. and always more lies. katherine knew that Michael fought him before, so why did she join this idiot.. I hope God can come down and tell us.. wishful thinking.

I'll meet you at the airport. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Ever consider that Mann is working for Michael?

Ps. back said to leave KJ alone in regards to this issue...
  • Just my opinion....

I'll meet you at the airport. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

Count me in too guys! Hell, I'll even pay for everyone's plane tickets!!! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Did you guys see the comment someone posted under this article??? <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->

The Estate lawyers are full of it. I've been watching this case and Mann bought this Company Vintage Pop Media from Henry Vaccarro who won the memorabilia in a litigation in bankruptcy court and along with the memorabilia comes the rights to utilize this property and everything that goes with it. After buying this property from Vaccarro Mann partnered with Mrs. Jackson to give back what was hers in the partnership. What the TRUTH is The MJ Estate executors are doing is trying have control over Mrs. Jackson by suing Howard Mann to get at Mrs. Jackson. The Estate have been secretly selling of Michael's assets and pocketing Millions of dollars and cash they have been sending to off shore accounts. They have been doing deals and filing lawsuits against everyone they can so they can charge the Attorneys fees which are in the multi millions. John Branca himself has been giving money to his own charity and pocketing that money too. The Estate are sharks and corrupt and these same guys have been doing it to the Kurt Cobain Estate and have taken millions from his family and they have done the same to the Elvis estate and the James Brown estate. These guys are getting away with and it's a shame for the family members that John Branca and Howard Weitzman and their group of Leeching lawyers and partners can destroy and steal like this. Good thing the States attorney is about to file for an investigation into these corrupt Executors and bring them down little did they know they were under investigation all this time and now their time has come to face the music for the illegal criminal acts that they have done!!!!! The only reason TMZ has been favorable to the estate is because Harvey and Howard Weitzman were romantically involved at one point and Harvey has been helping them to push these strategic media articles. Bottom line is that it wont make a difference because this is the court of public opinion and a federal investigation doesnt care about that it only the facts!

Posted at 2:05 PM on Feb 25, 2011 by Craig Valentino
    What do you guys think? That would explain the whole lot of articles on MJ at TMZ....
  • Wow this is some amazing stuff. I mean what the hell is going on with all of this. Being connected to Michael or not is like winning the Lotto everyone is becoming millionaires off of Michael. I pray that all of this is just a set up to expose all the leechers and crooks. Maybe Michael put all of this into place to expose these ppl I pray this is all a set up.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    They have been doing deals and filing lawsuits against everyone they can so they can charge the Attorneys fees which are in the multi millions. John Branca himself has been giving money to his own charity and pocketing that money too. The Estate are sharks and corrupt and these same guys have been doing it to the Kurt Cobain Estate and have taken millions from his family and they have done the same to the Elvis estate and the James Brown estate. These guys are getting away with and it's a shame for the family members that John Branca and Howard Weitzman and their group of Leeching lawyers and partners can destroy and steal like this. Good thing the States attorney is about to file for an investigation into these corrupt Executors and bring them down little did they know they were under investigation all this time and now their time has come to face the music for the illegal criminal acts that they have done!!!!!

Posted at 2:05 PM on Feb 25, 2011 by Craig Valentino
    What do you guys think? That would explain the whole lot of articles on MJ at TMZ....

IF only half of this turned out to be true, Howard Mann would rather be a bait than a vulture and Katherine would be very brave for giving the feeding yet needy matriarch in this play.
    Then the permanent delays were self-explaining because they were due to everything going on on the lawsuit side. We got to know that everything would be more speedy in Texas, right?

Too many targetted his life, his dignity and his fortune that he had worked for all his life and for sure wanted to give to his children. Do you believe he would let that go to some leaches without any struggle? I don't.

This is getting bigger every day. I am reckoning with justice on ALL accounts.
    The difference between a lie and alive is a "V".
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Ever consider that Mann is working for Michael?

Ps. back said to leave KJ alone in regards to this issue...

Yes Bec, I think it's far more likely that Mann is working for Michael (either knowingly or unknowingly) than any other scenario. If we are to believe that Michael is alive (and I'm certain he is) then there's no way he would allow Mann near Katherine, as he is fiercely protective of her.

AGREE WITH YOU. I don't understand why katherine is doing business with this scavenger.. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

If you believe Michael is alive, you have to believe that there is a reason for Katherine to work with Mann.
    But that's my opinion <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

If you believe Michael is alive, you have to believe that there is a reason for Katherine to work with Mann.
    But that's my opinion <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

I am sure Mann does not know Michael is alive. We are talking about hoax, this means very few people, closest family members & friend may know about it. Not that the whole Los Angeles is in hoax. Therefore, Mann simply after money and this rat started realizing his plan through Katherine.Maybe Katherine wanted to use him, but turn out he used Katherine to get to MJ's assets.
    Mann doesn't necessarily have to know that Michael is alive. Like I said in an above post, he may be "working for" Michael either knowingly or unknowingly.
    Katherine Jackson's business partner wants the MJ Estate off his back in a legal war over MJ merchandise ... claiming Michael himself picked the same fight when he was alive ... until he realized he couldn't win.
    Long story short -- the Estate wants Howard Mann to stop using MJ's name and image to hock various websites, books, and other products. Problem is, according to Mann, this is the exact same lawsuit that Michael pursued back in 2004 ... only to "abandon" the legal fight in 2006.
    Mann claims the the Estate shouldn't get a second bite of the apple ... by being allowed to sue for the same claims in 2011.

It's possible that this is "round two" for Michael with Mann.

We know that Katherine acts on Michael's behalf for certain things so if Michael wanted to go after Mann again (assuming this TMZ story is legit), it's possible that Michael asked Katherine to do dealings with Mann, so he could finish what he started years earlier.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Ding Ding Ding!

Andrea wins.

Says me anyway. That makes so much sense I'm going blind from it.
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    Remember this video on jackson secret vault website by Henry Vaccaro, and then Howard Mann........

<!-- m -->http://www.jacksonsecretvault.com/site/ ... ntentId=19<!-- m -->

<!-- m -->http://www.jacksonsecretvault.com/?page ... ineJackson<!-- m -->
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    Howard Mann Says: ‘Michael Jackson’s Estate Doesn’t Give A F*ck About His Kids’

The man doing business with Katherine Jackson just thumbed his nose — BIGTIME — at the Michael Jackson Estate … essentially saying they’re just a bunch of lawyers who don’t care about MJ’s kids.

Last night Howard Mann slammed the Estate for the suggestion it’s more invested in helping MJ’s children than he and Katherine — saying, “I would ask if the Estate has ever met those children, ever spoken to those children. To me it’s a farce that they care about what happens to those children.”

Mann was In Beverly Hills … outside the “Unveiling of the Jackson Secret Vault Lithographic Collection” — his ongoing business venture with Katherine — and an event that prompted MJ’s Estate to fire off a cease and desist letter.

Shots have been fired! This should be verrrrry interesting…

<!-- m -->http://bossip.com/318467/howard-mann-sa ... ids-43081/<!-- m -->

Mama Katherine’s Biz Partner Claims MJ’s Estate Is F*cking Up Her Money
    Katherine Jackson’s business partner Howard Mann is still calling shenanigans on the lawyers handling Michael Jackson’s estate.
    According to TMZ, Mann claims that the estate, which just filed a lawsuit against him, is standing in the way of his Ms. Katherine’s paper.

Katherine Jackson’s business partner who is being sued by the Michael Jackson Estate tells TMZ the Estate is a “fraudulently obtained dictatorship,” guarding “a collusive and corrupt status quo.”

Howard Mann — whom the Estate claims in a new lawsuit is violating copyright and trademark laws by cashing in on all things Jackson — calls the lawsuit “malicious and unfounded.”

Mann says, “These lawyers have absolutely NO interest in the preservation of Michael Jackson’s legacy and less interest in generating revenues for his beneficiaries.”

Mann goes on: “…the Estate will fall as a result of these draconian tactics and it is my hope that Miss Jackson regains control of that which was stolen from her.”

Right… because releasing a “new song” by Michael without clearing it by his mother was clearly done in the interest of preserving his legacy.

<!-- m -->http://bossip.com/333805/mama-katherine ... oney12006/<!-- m -->
    Ding Ding Ding!

Andrea wins.

Says me anyway. That makes so much sense I'm going blind from it.

That's too funny Bec, I swear I almost wrote "Ding Ding Ding!" in my post but wasn't sure if anyone would get it.