Trial of Michael Jackson's doctor postponed till Wednesday

use_your_illusionuse_your_illusion Posts: 916
edited October 2011 in Dr. Conrad Murray
[size=14pt]Trial of Michael Jackson's doctor postponed till Wednesday[/size]<br /><br /><br />The manslaughter trial of Michael Jackson's personal doctor, which was shut down Monday because of a death in the family of a prosecution witness, was further postponed until Wednesday.<br /><br /><br />Defense Attorney J. Michael Flanagan will have more time to find the team's own expert opinions to support cross-examination of Steven Shafer, the next witness to be called by the prosecution. The manslaughter trial of Conrad Murray will resume on Wednesday.<br /><br /><br />Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said he was putting off trial testimony for two reasons: giving Steven Shafer of New York, the witness, more time to handle family matters, and allowing defendant Conrad Murray's lawyers to obtain experts' response to a new toxicology test the coroner's office performed for the prosecution.<br /><br />At a sometimes ill-tempered hearing with Murray and the jury absent Monday, defense lawyers Ed Chernoff and J. Michael Flanagan objected to prosecution plans to present the new test on Jackson's stomach contents when they resume questioning Shafer, an anesthesiologist.<br /><br />Pastor gave the defense more time to find its own expert opinions to support cross-examination of Shafer. The judge scheduled another hearing for Tuesday afternoon to discuss the status of the defense's preparation.<br /><br />Murray, 58, is accused of negligently causing Jackson's death in 2009 through an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, which, according to the coroner's autopsy report, combined with the sedative lorazepam to stop Jackson's breathing. Murray, a cardiologist, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter. His lawyers say Jackson ingested lethal doses of drugs himself when the doctor was out of the room.<br /><br />Prosecutor David Walgren said Monday that his office had requested that Jackson's stomach contents be retested for lorazepam. This, he said, was in response to a defense-commissioned toxicology report on lorazepam that Flanagan presented to the jury last week during cross-examination of the coroner's toxicologist, Dan Anderson.<br />The defense's lab report enabled Flanagan to say there was enough lorazepam in the singer's stomach to prove that he had swallowed eight 2-milligram tablets of lorazepam, "enough to put six people to sleep."<br />By contrast, the new report that Walgren ordered says there was much less lorazepam than the defense claims.<br /><br />In addition to questioning Shafer on the coroner's latest test, Walgren will recall Anderson to testify to his office's new report, he said.<br />The hearing grew tense after defense lawyers accused the prosecution of violating a September 2010 court order forbidding new tests on medical evidence without specific permission from the judge. Walgren said the order related only to syringes and other medical supplies, not to "biological evidence" such as stomach contents.<br /><br />The defense ultimately agreed and apologized. "We're sorry, David," Chernoff said in a tone of sarcasm. "You did not violate a court order."<br />The judge interrupted. "His name is not David," Pastor said, implying that Chernoff should have addressed his opponent more formally.<br /><br />Pastor ended the spat by saying, "There was an allegation the facts do not support, and there's an apology by the defense."<br />Chernoff said that having until Wednesday to study Anderson's new report "may rectify the problem." He had suggested not allowing Walgren to offer the report until the prosecution's rebuttal case, which will follow the presentation of the defense's expected 15 witnesses. Pastor said he would prefer that the lorazepam evidence be introduced this week during the prosecution's main case.<br /><br />http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-17/michael-jackson-doctor-trial/50805114/1

Comments

• GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    /pull hair/
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    It has to be delayed. I am actually comforted by this. Things were moving too quickly.
  • Then they'll delay it until Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday, Sunday... everyday, slowly until everyone forgets about it... <br /><br />They're getting bored, aren't they?
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    on 1318954320:
    <br />Then they'll delay it until Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday, Sunday... everyday, slowly until everyone forgets about it... <br /><br />They're getting bored, aren't they? <br />
    <br />Perhaps they can't explain any of this either /pull hair/ <br />especially with so many script changes!
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    on 1318953889:
    <br />It has to be delayed. I am actually comforted by this. Things were moving too quickly.<br />
    <br /><br />Why do you think that Bec?
    on 1318955988:
    <br />
    on 1318953889:
    <br />It has to be delayed. I am actually comforted by this. Things were moving too quickly.<br />
    <br /><br />Why do you think that Bec?<br />
    <br /><br /><br />Because the numbers have to work out. You knowz?
    You may have lost me now, Bec!  Are you thinking specific dates here or numbers of a different kind?
    Days/dates, you know the drill, curls.
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    on 1318957512:
    <br />Days/dates, you know the drill, curls.<br />
    <br /><br />I agree, I think this delay is deliberate hoax-wise.  I was actually expecting something like this and I think there's a date in mind for when the verdict is read.<br /><br />Also, if the "official" reason for the delay is BS, then we have a fake death in the middle of a faked death hoax trial.
    Hmm yes, Bec, but that sounds suspiciously like expectation - personally I stopped that back in August!! I'm going for the 20/20 hindsight thingie nowadays!<br /><br />@Andrea, why would you think Shafer's father hasn't really died?
    on 1318958350:
    <br />Hmm yes, Bec, but that sounds suspiciously like expectation - personally I stopped that back in August!! I'm going for the 20/20 hindsight thingie nowadays!<br /><br />@Andrea, why would you think Shafer's father hasn't really died?<br />
    <br /><br />I don't know if he has or not, I said IF it was BS.  You never know with this hoax.  No disrespect meant if someone has passed away.
    Yes Andrea, I saw the IF, which is why I said WOULD not DO!!  I think the discrepancies over the Lorazapam tests is enough to warrant a delay - you know how courts like to have it all worked out beforehand - they don't like surprises!
    on 1318959164:
    <br />Yes Andrea, I saw the IF, which is why I said WOULD not DO!!  I think the discrepancies over the Lorazapam tests is enough to warrant a delay - you know how courts like to have it all worked out beforehand - they don't like surprises!<br />
    <br /><br />True.  Although this hoax court sure likes to give it's viewers surprises, LOL.
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Prosecutor David Walgren said Monday that his office had requested that Jackson's stomach contents be retested for lorazepam. This, he said, was in response to a defense-commissioned toxicology report on lorazepam that Flanagan presented to the jury last week during cross-examination of the coroner's toxicologist, Dan Anderson.<br />The defense's lab report enabled Flanagan to say there was enough lorazepam in the singer's stomach to prove that he had swallowed eight 2-milligram tablets of lorazepam, "enough to put six people to sleep."<br />By contrast, the new report that Walgren ordered says there was much less lorazepam than the defense claims.
    <br />Are they saying the toxicologist's testimony wasn't accurate?  Can the stomach sample be preserved for 2 years and still be accurate for testing of drugs. Does lorazepam not deteriorate? Or does MJ have to throw up? The irony of putting 6 people to sleep is MJ wouldn't have needed the propofol at all. So senseless...  Also if they still have his stomach, do they still have his brain, and what else? A DNA test would be the clincher.
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    /scream/  <br /><br /><br />What-e-va  ::) <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Are they going to test it from some tube or? Were those fluids stored? where?<br />We should not  forget that Michael is supposed to be buried under tons of cement...  and his tummy should be dried up by now... :-[ <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I was longing to see I-Pad guy  /overreacting/ broken_heart-136.gif<br /><br /><br /><br />
    2 year old stomach contents - yuck!  afraid/ Plus all that endless urine - this trial is not for those of a delicate disposition!  errrr
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    This is nothing for [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]paraphiliacs  [/color]vomit1.gif
  • on 1318954612:
    <br />
    on 1318954320:
    <br />Then they'll delay it until Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday, Sunday... everyday, slowly until everyone forgets about it... <br /><br />They're getting bored, aren't they? <br />
    <br />Perhaps they can't explain any of this either /pull hair/ <br />especially with so many script changes!<br />
    <br /><br />They said at first that it would be delayed Monday, now it's Tuesday the Trial has still been delayed. What the heck is happening? <br /><br />If they resume it tomorrow, I WILL be suprised.
  • wishingstarwishingstar Posts: 2,927
    I look at this break in the trial as a way to get caught up on it.  I have been using this as a time to hear all the testimonies, review what's been told so far.  Does anyone know if there was such a break like this during the 2005 trial?  <br /><br /><br />It seems like the trial started with a bang and we could ascertain it all.  We immediately were able to pick up on things like the seal, the gurney make etc.  Sort of like Hoax 101.  However, now that it's getting more difficult with the pictures, different testimonies, the hoax is getting increasingly more difficult to truly detect the discrepancies. I know I have been having a very difficult time.....I welcome this break.  <br /><br /><br />Patience is definitely needed........I always remember that note on the flowers at the grave....does anyone else remember it?  It was a simple note on some flowers that had been delivered to Forest Lawn......it was signed, "Patience".  It's always stuck in my mind. <br /><br /><br />Blessings
    <br />ABC7 Murray Trial<br />Chernoff said defense will have 15 witnesses: 4 are character witnesses, including elderly patients of Dr. #Murray; Det. Meyers, Martinez<br />56 seconds ago<br /><br />ABC7 Murray Trial<br />Judge ordered defense and prosecution to meet and confer to figure out how they can proceed without wasting any time. #ConradMurraytrial<br />3 minutes ago<br /><br /><br /> ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Defense attorney Ed Chernoff asked judge for the day off on Thursday so he can prepare before putting his case on. Judge is not having it.  <br />1 minute ago    <br /><br />ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Walgren indicated Dr. Shafer will be his last witness and he will recall Dan Anderson to talk about new Lorazepam test during rebuttal.  <br />3 minutes ago  <br /><br />ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Court is in recess. Walgren told the judge Dr. Shafer is ready to proceed with his testimony tomorrow. So #ConradMurraytrial is back on!  <br />4 minutes ago  <br /><br />Favorite  Retweet  Reply   
  • on 1318971353:
    <br /><br />ABC7 Murray Trial<br />Chernoff said defense will have 15 witnesses: 4 are character witnesses, including elderly patients of Dr. #Murray; Det. Meyers, Martinez<br />56 seconds ago<br /><br />ABC7 Murray Trial<br />Judge ordered defense and prosecution to meet and confer to figure out how they can proceed without wasting any time. #ConradMurraytrial<br />3 minutes ago<br /><br /><br /> ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Defense attorney Ed Chernoff asked judge for the day off on Thursday so he can prepare before putting his case on. Judge is not having it.  <br />1 minute ago    <br /><br /> ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Walgren indicated Dr. Shafer will be his last witness and he will recall Dan Anderson to talk about new Lorazepam test during rebuttal.  <br />3 minutes ago      <br /><br /> ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            <br />Court is in recess. Walgren told the judge Dr. Shafer is ready to proceed with his testimony tomorrow. So #ConradMurraytrial is back on!  <br />4 minutes ago  <br /><br />Favorite  Retweet  Reply  <br />
    <br /><br />Let's see if it really happens tomorrow, eh? :D
    You're a star Ford, thanks for posting these updates!
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    Ok, what I hate the most is to wait. But I've been waiting for 2 years, so I can wait 2 more days or whatever it takes. I'm getting used to it.  ::)
      abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            Defense said they will be calling AEG's Randy Phillips to the stand. He won't be available to testify until Monday. #ConradMurraytrial  13 minutes ago      ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            Chernoff told judge he sent MJ's stomach contents to re-analysis, but they don't know yet how the Lorazepam got into MJ's stomach.  25 minutes ago        ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            Judge Michael Pastor gave lawyers copy of the confidential draft of the jury instructions. #ConradMurraytrial  46 minutes ago        ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            You can watch the trial live tomorrow at www.abc7.com/live at 8:45 am. For exclusive content come to @abc7MurrayTrial  49 minutes ago        ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            Attorneys and Dr. #ConradMurray are ordered to appear tomorrow at 8:30 am, jurors at 8:45 am for resumption of trial. #MichaelJackson  51 minutes ago      ABC7-Murray-Trial-73x73_normal.jpg    abc7MurrayTrial ABC7 Murray Trial            Judge said he believes all the attorneys are acting in good faith and he will follow the plan of hearing Dr. Shafer's testimony tomorrow.
  • Somewhere....somehow down the line there has to be an order to do a DNA test.....and when they say "Uh....that wasn't Mr. Jackson's body" the media will have the time of it's life!!!