Estate settles with Mann for 2.5 Million $

Truth_or_DareTruth_or_Dare Posts: 299
http://newsok.com/article/feed/428620<br />
<br />Jackson estate, businessman settle copyright case<br /> <br />Published: September 4, 2012    Comment on this article 0<br /><br />LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's estate and a businessman working with the singer's mother have settled a copyright infringement case for $2.5 million.<br /><br />photo - FILE - In a March 5, 2009 file photo US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play ten live concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2012 will determine how much a businessman working with Katherine Jackson will have to pay her son’s estate for infringing some of its copyrights. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)<br />FILE - In a March 5, 2009 file photo US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play ten live concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2012 will determine how much a businessman working with Katherine Jackson will have to pay her son’s estate for infringing some of its copyrights. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)<br /><br />Multimedia<br />Photoview all photos<br />Article Gallery: Jackson estate, businessman settle copyright case<br /><br />The settlement was announced Tuesday in a Los Angeles federal courthouse right before a trial on damages was scheduled to begin. The estate had sued Howard Mann and his businesses in January 2011, claiming he had violated Jackson copyrights in a book and other merchandise he sold in collaboration with Katherine Jackson.<br /><br />Mann is the CEO of Vintage Pop Media, which according to settlement terms announced in court is responsible for paying the judgment.<br /><br />A judge had already ruled that Mann and Vintage Pop Media violated copyrights by using images from the Jackson film "This Is It" and other works.<br /><br />A jury trial on how much Mann owes the estate had been scheduled to begin Tuesday, with an expert estimating a license for the works is with between $5 and $12 million.<br /><br />Read more: http://newsok.com/jackson-estate-businessman-settle-copyright-case/article/feed/428620#ixzz25WckMVhv<br />

Comments

• ellydellyd Posts: 220
    New maths: 2.5 is between 5 and 12. Logical. It's 7.  :icon_eek:
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Wait.<br /><br />I thought the ruling was in the Estates favor and Mann lost. I thought this was already settled last month. What did I miss?
  • MaryKMaryK Posts: 1,732
    on 1346868517:
    <br />Wait.<br /><br />I thought the ruling was in the Estates favor and Mann lost. I thought this was already settled last month. What did I miss?<br />
    <br /><br />
    A judge had already ruled that Mann and Vintage Pop Media violated copyrights by using images from the Jackson film "This Is It" and other works.<br /><br />A jury trial on how much Mann owes the estate had been scheduled to begin Tuesday, with an expert estimating a license for the works is with between $5 and $12 million.
    <br /><br />What I understand from this is that the judge ruled that there was indeed copyright infringement but the sum that Mann/Vintage Pop Media will have to pay was not yet determined. <br />It seems they settled out of court before the jury trial , in which the sum would have been determined, began.
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Thanks, Mary. That makes sense.<br /><br />Interesting yet perfect that they settled out of court.