Remarkable change in We Are The World lyrics

edited January 1970 in News
There is a remarkable change in the We Are The World 2010 version which makes it crystal clear that Mike had a hand in this remake.

The original verse for We Are the World was:

Send them your heart
So they'll know that someone cares
And their lives will be stronger and free
As God has shown us by turning stone to bread
So we all must lend a helping hand

Please check this link to see what the underlined part in means:
<!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation_of_Christ<!-- m -->

In Luke's and Matthew's accounts, the devil tempts Jesus to:
Make bread out of stone(s) to relieve his own hunger

This is the bible quote about it:
During that time the devil came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."
<!-- m -->http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NLT<!-- m -->

The "As God has shown us by turning stone to bread" line has always been a pretty uncomfortable one. In the lyrics of the 2010 version of We Are The World this verse was changed. The new lyrics are:

Well send them your heart
So they know that someone cares
So their cries for help will not be in vain
We cant let them suffer, no we cannot turn away
Right now, they need a helping hand

The rest of the song stays with same (apart from a rap added) and the 'stone to bread' verse is really the only one that has been changed. Way to go Mike!

Special thanks to The White Rabbit and Indib!

Comments

• TerezaTereza Posts: 2,074
    I didn't get it...what do you think is the meaning of this change?
  • YES I noticed that too!
  • Aw man. That's Willy Nelson's part. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • IndibIndib Posts: 16
    I just felt like adding this:

Matthew 4:4
    Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'

Thanks for this post a lot Mo! It really made me happy. Awesome changes in the lyrics. I have to say it really made my day. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • I just felt like adding this:

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'

Thanks for this post a lot Mo! It really made me happy. Awesome changes in the lyrics. I have to say it really made my day. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

quoted for truth lol

I am so happy!! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • Another "truth" about Michael having a hand in it. The man in charge of the funds from this remake is named Luis Moreno. The plans were already in place before Michael "died" for a 25th anniversary remake, although no one knew who the beneficiaries would be. The board had already been assembled for over-seeing of the funds before Michael "died" and Luis Moreno from World Bank had already been appointed. "Luis Moreno" is on one of the tombstones in the new Thriller video in This Is It. Michael had to have chosen that name to go on one of the tombstones to let us know that he is in charge even from the "grave." <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
  • I'm not sure I know where you're coming from. I'm more inclined to believe that they took that line out because it referenced God rather than for the inaccuracy of the statement (since Jesus did not turn the stone to bread). But is that where you're coming from? You think he would've wanted it out because of the inaccuracy?
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    There is no innacuracy or mistakes in what Michael writes. Read his poetry and other quotes. I believe MJ wants us to think about the changed line, by replacing it with something neutral.
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Inaccuracy! Sorry! <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • LLJLLJ Posts: 140
    But Jesus didn't change the stone in to bread? He multiplied the bread though...

Therefore the line was inacurate? Unless it wasn't meant literally...
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    There is no innacuracy or mistakes in what Michael writes. Read his poetry and other quotes. I believe MJ wants us to think about the changed line, by replacing it with something neutral.

Clearly there was, since the devil turned the stone to bread, not God. Michael must have known that, makes you wonder why the original had that line. But now it's changed. Makes this an off message We are the World to me.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• LaLove09LaLove09 Posts: 120
    Sorry, but those are the same lyrics.
    They were NOT changed.
    Like someone else said it was
    Willie Nelson's part in the original song.
  • beatitbeatit Posts: 63
    There is a remarkable change in the We Are The World 2010 version which makes it crystal clear that Mike had a hand in this remake.

The original verse for We Are the World was:

Send them your heart
    So they'll know that someone cares
    And their lives will be stronger and free
    As God has shown us by turning stone to bread
    So we all must lend a helping hand

Please check this link to see what the underlined part in means:
    <!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation_of_Christ<!-- m -->

In Luke's and Matthew's accounts, the devil tempts Jesus to:
    Make bread out of stone(s) to relieve his own hunger

This is the bible quote about it:
    During that time the devil came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."
    <!-- m -->http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NLT<!-- m -->

The "As God has shown us by turning stone to bread" line has always been a pretty uncomfortable one. In the lyrics of the 2010 version of We Are The World this verse was changed. The new lyrics are:

Well send them your heart
    So they know that someone cares
    So their cries for help will not be in vain
    We cant let them suffer, no we cannot turn away
    Right now, they need a helping hand

The rest of the song stays with same (apart from a rap added) and the 'stone to bread' verse is really the only one that has been changed. Way to go Mike!

Special thanks to The White Rabbit and Indib!

Since it was for Haiti they probably changed it to make it make since for the event they where making it for. I mean yes the original was good but they made it more specific for the event they are trying to raise money for. And I think plenty of people could have changed the lyrics. Michael was not the only person that can write, or change lyrics.
  • Sorry, but those are the same lyrics.
    They were NOT changed.

The lyrics are definitely changed. Willie sang about the stones. The new version sings about suffering (not sure who's doing the vocals there).
    Just for the sake of accuracy: nobody changed the stones to bread. It was just a suggestion the devil made to tempt Jesus.

But I still don't see how this shows clearly that Michael had a hand in the remake.
  • beatitbeatit Posts: 63
    Sorry, but those are the same lyrics.
    They were NOT changed.

The lyrics are definitely changed. Willie sang about the stones. The new version sings about suffering (not sure who's doing the vocals there).
    Just for the sake of accuracy: nobody changed the stones to bread. It was just a suggestion the devil made to tempt Jesus.

But I still don't see how this shows clearly that Michael had a hand in the remake.

Agreed, I just play both version back to back at the same parts it was changed. And I don't see how a change in the song means MJ had a part.
  • PinkTopazPinkTopaz Posts: 1,013

Clearly there was, since the devil turned the stone to bread, not God. Michael must have known that, makes you wonder why the original had that line. But now it's changed. Makes this an off message We are the World to me.
    What do you mean off-message? How was that original lyric and Illuminati message if it was just an inaccuracy?
    The original version of We are the World had the line:
    "As God has shown us by turning stone to bread" meaning that Jesus gave into the temptations of the devil.

The Bible clearly says the opposite:

The change of that line is very significant. MJ made it clear for us on whose side he is fighting now. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> God Bless him. We are right behind.
    The original version of We are the World had the line:
    "As God has shown us by turning stone to bread" meaning that Jesus gave into the temptations of the devil.

The Bible clearly says the opposite:

The change of that line is very significant. MJ made it clear for us on whose side he is fighting now. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> God Bless him. We are right behind.
    Well remember, he was never "fighting on 'their' side, he had no choice, but he was always against them..
    Well remember, he was never "fighting on 'their' side, he had no choice, but he was always against them..

We absolutely agree on that. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • LaLove09LaLove09 Posts: 120
    Just disregard my last comment...
    I got on too soon after waking up
    and read the post all so wrong, lol.
    & now I kinda feel like an ass, lol.

We absolutely agree on that. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
    Indeed we do!
  • lets not forget Michael wasnt the only 1 who wrote the original and this line wasnt added on his original demo so0o maybe he did or didnt tamper with it mayb Lionel did......i could see where u come from when u say maybe Mike had a hand on the remake b.c that line was changed and we dont know who exactly wrote the original line and etc., but this doesnt "prove" Michael had a hand in the new version....we can just assume he did.......do i believe he did? Possibly, still dont think he shouldve touched the original tho...but its for a good cause and i accept i guess
  • sorry to confuse the issue, i cant get my head round it, how does it prove Micheal is alive and changed the lyrics? Lionel Ritchie is working on this song so is uincy Jones There is a very big possibility that Lionel or quincy changed that verse after all they are both song writters to and its no secret that Lionel Ritchie co wrote the first version with Micheal
  • If you read our blog, you will understand where we're coming from:

<!-- m -->http://doubledutchblogs.wordpress.com/2 ... d-control/<!-- m -->
  • tabloidburntabloidburn Posts: 1,621
    Another "truth" about Michael having a hand in it. The man in charge of the funds from this remake is named Luis Moreno. The plans were already in place before Michael "died" for a 25th anniversary remake, although no one knew who the beneficiaries would be. The board had already been assembled for over-seeing of the funds before Michael "died" and Luis Moreno from World Bank had already been appointed. "Luis Moreno" is on one of the tombstones in the new Thriller video in This Is It. Michael had to have chosen that name to go on one of the tombstones to let us know that he is in charge even from the "grave." <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->

this is great, like that <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
    seems like michael likes playing with names. i will surely check that once my dvd gets here.
    my goodness, all that detail...he had to be planning this for years in advance!