Is this something or not

MeandMyShadowMeandMyShadow Posts: 385
edited January 1970 in News
Have any of you written an email to the brothers? Their yahoo account? I wrote a short note wishing Marlon a happy birthday and got one of those automated replies. Basically, thanking the fans for supporting their family throughout the years. They liked entertaining us for forty years and look forward to another forty, etc.

But what was interesting is the way they signed it

The Jackson 5
Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon... and of course our beloved brother, Michael Jackson.

Are they just including MJ because they don't want to forget him and he was part of the original J5? Or, are they including him because he is still with them physically?

Either way, we won't know until the BAM (hopefully there will be one) Just wanting some thoughts on the matter.

Comments

• tabloidburntabloidburn Posts: 1,621
    i think it is kinda weird to even still refer to the 'jackson 5'. from what i know. they HAD to change to 'the jacksons' after leaving motown, cuz motown 'owns' that name, like a brand. i don't know if there were any copyrights going along with that and it may be similar to having a patent on something, you have to renew that from time to time. so that name might be usable for them now.
    still, with michael being 'officially dead', it is a weird signature. i would think they come up with something new, like 'the jackson bros.' or whatever. it's like they wanna keep michael in there for 'some reason'... <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
    one reason might also be just marketing, of course, cuz they all know they will draw more attention by creating that 'tension', with everybody asking why michael is still in there. i would like to think that they are not that ruthless, but who knows... <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • ChristianaChristiana Posts: 626
    Even if they can't legally use the name Jackson 5 trademark in commerce, legal documents etc, using it in an email signature doesn't violate any trademark laws. From what I have seen, they regularly refer to themselves professionally as either the Jack5ons or the J5.
  • GirlSaturdayGirlSaturday Posts: 1,020
    I believe that they keep the name Jackson 5 because that is how they are best known. They could easily have reverted back to the Jacksons but intentionally chose the name that reflects their roots.

I would be curious to learn how Motown feels about this. They own the Jacksosn 5 name and trademark.

Here's the contact information for others with "inquiring minds".
    Address: 1755 Broadway
    New York, NY 10019
    Phone: 212-373-0750
    Fax: 212-489-9096