Article on overpopulation

truthprevailstruthprevails Posts: 878
edited January 1970 in General Discussion
OK, I know there's some scary talk about population control (and I don't condone killing people in any way!), but I do think that the planet is overpopulated - and is expected to become more so. Below is an article on this issue. My view is that we are ALL part of the many problems we and this planet are facing, and maybe we should start thinking of having no more than 1 child ourselves, if that... I personally don't want biological children (what's the point, in this messed-up world?), and hope to be able to adopt if I ever want kids.

Overpopulation: 9 Billion Things to Talk About
David Katz, M.D.

Any gardener knows that to solve a weedy problem, you have to get it at its roots.

We in Preventive Medicine know that, too, or certainly should. Our eyes were opened to this enlightened thinking by McGinnis and Foege in 1993. They were the first to note explicitly that the causes of chronic disease and premature death are not diseases, but the things that cause the diseases! Such as tobacco use, eating badly and lack of physical activity.

The evidence that they were right has only accumulated ... and accumulated since. I routinely invoke this literature to note that feet, forks and fingers are the master levers of medical destiny, as regular visitors here well know.

Viewed differently, bad use of feet, forks and fingers are the major causes of chronic disease. But these are the proximal causes, not the root causes. The root cause is modern living. Everything about modern living that makes it modern -- processed food, suburban sprawl, labor-saving technology, mass media marketing -- is obesigenic, and conducive to the insalubrious application of feet and forks. More on that, however, can be a topic for another day.

For today, how about those eggs? Why is it that some 500,000,000 eggs have been recalled in the U.S. due to salmonella contamination? Proximal causes have much to do with modern farming and food handling techniques, and something to do with FDA resource limitations. But what about the root cause?

And how about the drought in Russia, leading to massive crop failure? Inundation in Pakistan leading to massive displacement of the population? Flooding in China? And while we're at it, accelerated melting of the polar ice, with ramifications we are still just guessing at?

The root cause that connects these dots -- and many others besides -- is global population growth. There are too many of us.

This particular topic has something of a wince factor for me -- father of five! But former drug users often make the best addiction counselors and some of the top obesity experts struggle with their own weight. I suppose I can come clean about population pressures despite having done such a poor job of keeping my own genes to myself!

I raise the issue because it's ominously absent from almost all discussion of global warming and climate change, modern industrial agricultural practices, and the propagation and transmission of both infectious and chronic disease. This is odd, and worrisome. It suggests either obliviousness, fatalism or capitulation -- and none of these is good!

I was quite stunned when I spoke last year at the Imagine Solutions Conference in Naples, FL, that my fellow speakers addressing the trials and tribulations of the world spoke about a rapid ascent toward a global population of 9 billion or more as a fait accompli. Even though it was the driving force behind the problem they went on to discuss -- depleting of the oceans, climate change, deforestation, etc. -- it was not discussed as a problem in its own right. I had a similar impression when last I participated in the Aspen Ideas Festival.

If the harms of excessive global population have become a taboo topic, I didn't get the memo.

There are more than six billion of us here now. I am inclined to think there is no problem nine billion could solve that six-plus billion can't. However, nine billion may be the problem that the six-plus billion need to solve, if we are to solve any other. Because the growing horde of us consuming the resources of the planet in uniquely modern fashion is the problem underlying many other problems.

I could spell out how this root connects to the branches that populate our daily dose of bad news, but I suspect you can do that just as well yourself. For now, I am just saying we should all be thinking about it. And talking about it. And willing to say 'condom' in polite company -- and more importantly, in public policy.

The massive demands and ramifications of an ever-more-massive human population may be the root of the roots of many of our most urgent crises. It is something we can address by means at our disposal, but only if we are cognizant of it, and willing to talk about it.

So blame the eggs if you are so inclined. Or blame the chickens. But frankly, I think something else comes first. We have met the enemy, and in our ever-growing, voracious multitudes, it is us! We have nine billion -- or is it 12? -- things to start talking about, asap.

Follow David Katz, M.D. on Twitter: <!-- m -->http://www.twitter.com/DrDavidKatz<!-- m -->

Comments

• ROFLROFL Posts: 530
    I really don't think the real problem is the number of humans there are. But the real problem is our way of living.The way we waste natural resources etc etc... Of course I'm part of it too , we all are , but Im trying my best not to waste things like buing a new cell phone every year , not buying new furtinures etc etc (simple things).. The real problem is imo our way of living , sometimes I think it's too late because we are used to all that and it's difficult to change habits...
    . The root cause is modern living. Everything about modern living that makes it modern -- processed food, suburban sprawl, labor-saving technology, mass media marketing -- is obesigenic, and conducive to the insalubrious application of feet and forks. More on that, however, can be a topic for another day.
  • I really don't think the real problem is the number of humans there are. But the real problem is our way of living.The way we waste natural resources etc etc... Of course I'm part of it too , we all are , but Im trying my best not to waste things like buing a new cell phone every year , not buying new furtinures etc etc (simple things).. The real problem is imo our way of living , sometimes I think it's too late because we are used to all that and it's difficult to change habits...
    . The root cause is modern living. Everything about modern living that makes it modern -- processed food, suburban sprawl, labor-saving technology, mass media marketing -- is obesigenic, and conducive to the insalubrious application of feet and forks. More on that, however, can be a topic for another day.

I agree with you ROFL...that is precisely the problem. Imagine how different the world would look if we lived simply and knew how to take care of ourselves (growing our own food and making our own clothing, etc...). It could be much different and it wouldn't matter how many people there were.
  • lomaloma Posts: 1,366
    Definitely agreed. -.- I've been trying to bring up this topic IRL, but people look at me like I'm a murderous Nazi. You guys hit it right on the nose. It's about changing our way of living, but tell that to a American man. Heh. I know I'LL be having only one kid. <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| -->
  • Definitely agreed. -.- I've been trying to bring up this topic IRL, but people look at me like I'm a murderous Nazi. You guys hit it right on the nose. It's about changing our way of living, but tell that to a American man. Heh. I know I'LL be having only one kid. <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| -->

<!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • The whole world's population could be packed on the territory of Texas and the density of the population would not be bigger than the density of Chicago!!!
  • I don't think it is overpopulated with the people, it is overpopulated with the stuff! I grew up in a three bedroom home with four people, it was only 800 square feet. We managed quite nicely. We didn't have a tv, stereo, couches in every room. We had one tv and one couch. We didn't go out and buy new toys or clothes every payday. We only got those things on birthday and Christmas. If it was still good then we passed it down to the younger sibling. We need to go back to those days.
    We have already started in our household. We only buy what we NEED and not what we want. We save our money to take a nice vacation, so that we have memories and not stuff that will go in the trash in a week. We never buy bottled water, our water is just fine out of the faucet. I could go on and on. At first, we were doing this because of the economy, but then we noticed how little waste we had that was ending up in the landfill, that now we do it for the earth. I want this world to be around when my children have children. If everyone would go back to the way it used to be 30 or 40 yrs ago, even on just one thing. It would make a world of differrence.
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    As said above I don't think that the problem is overpopulation, not at all, but it's rather about the way people are living especially in our so-called modern societies which are a big part of the pollution problems we encounter and which life standards are being exported all over the world. This overpopulation thing is a fraud to me because first and before all everybody has the right to live and has the right to have as many children as they want. There are already many lives lost because of famines, diseases that I'm certain could be cured and wars. If all people respected the environment there would be no problem, if the powers that be were not devilish they would have find solutions to not pollute, they would have not even made the choices that brought us in the situation we are in today in the first place.

We live in a world of consumption, we always want more and often unuseful things, that's the major problem, we need a more simple life and return to more spirituality and forget the material things of this earth that in the end do not bring us happyness because when you obtain a desired object this desire just finish to vanish with the purchase of this object and people only find themselves in the chase of another desired object and it goes like that on and on. It's like people only existed by the act of purchase. I buy so I am. Well I digress a little just wanted to say that the number of people is not the real problem for me.
  • The whole world's population could be packed on the territory of Texas and the density of the population would not be bigger than the density of Chicago!!!

Actually that is not accurate. The population density of Chicago is approximately 12,750 people per square mile and the population density of the whole world packed into Texas is 6.9 billion people divided by approximately 269,000 square miles which equals 25,650 people per square mile. So, it is essentially 2 times the population density of Chicago. However, this is smaller than the population density of Kolkata, India and Cairo, Egypt.

Population is definitely an issue, but if people (particularly in more developed, richer countries) would live more sustainably and responsibly instead of wastefully, population wouldn't be as much of a concern. The increasing demand on our world's already taxed fresh water supply is quite possibly the biggest concern of all. Folks in the more developed countries not only tend to waste water, but also tend to take its availability for granted, while folks in poorer countries oftentimes have to go to great lengths to access safe drinking water. Sadly, rich countries tend to exploit the resources from poorer countries as well, usually at the expense of the poorer country's people.
    We also need to add sewage and waste management to the equation.
    No matter how hard you try, you can't really reduce the amount of waste you produce.
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    IMO I don't think over-population is the real problem either. Efficiency is the problem. There are always better ways of doing things. All the fresh young minds coming out of Universities should be able to come up with solutions to problem issues like clean energy sources, renewable resources, drinking water, nutricious food production and distribution, poverty, waste disposal, etc. It's crazy talk when scientist talk of putting colonies on the moon or mars. When you scan the land areas on Google earth, the vast majority of land is not inhabited because it is a harsh climate--too cold, dry, elevated, wet, etc. Even sustainable under water or under sand homes have been built. It's a matter of allocating money to the right projects. The billions of dollars used for space exploration or offensive war could be used to build geo-thermal heated homes in the artic, desalinization plants for arid coastal regions, pipelines, greenhouses for food production anywhere--the list could go on and on. There are literally thousands of organizations out there doing innovative things to make life better for people around the world-- like encouraging fair trade, giving interest-free small loans to poor people to start small businesses, teaching better agricultural methods, on and on. A planet filled with love for other people of all cultures, for animals, for the planet would be limitless. But back to reality...and human nature, good and evil. It's not time yet.

I just want to share some Bible verses that talk about the future paradise on earth (not heaven) after the Messiah returns to rule. (We simply lack good leadership right now on earth.)
    Revelation 22:1-4
    "And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, [was there] the tree of life, which bare twelve [manner of] fruits, [and] yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree [were] for the healing of the nations.
    And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him; And they shall see his face; and his name [shall be] in (on) their foreheads."
    The name on their foreheads reminds me of earth girl on the TII paradise who had the mysterious writing on her forehead. Don't know if that has been mentioned before in relation to that verse. Maybe it has.

These verses are similar to Ezekiel which also talks about Israel and the future earth, showing that it is not heaven being spoken about. Ezekiel 47:12
    "And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine."
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
  • Also, if more people recycled, there would be less "trash" taken to landfills. Many things, such as aluminum cans, cardboard, glass bottles and some plastics, can be recycled but aren't by most people. People also tend to throw out big things like furniture, lamps, even clothes, but these things could be donated to a shelter, church, good will, etc. And electronic waste is really becoming an issue. People in the richer countries tend to want the newest TV, computer, mp3 player, etc, and oftentimes just throw the older ones away. What they fail to realize is that the lead, mercury and other toxic chemicals used in these items find their way to the groundwater supply (which eventually works its way into the reservoirs used to provide water to many cities). And don't let the liners being used in some landfills fool you. Although many landfills use them in new areas of the landfill these days, the landfill owners are still allowed to first "fill up" existing portions of the landfill that do not contain liners. And the liners themselves are not full proof. I won't even get into the amount of fertilizers, pesticides, chemicals from shampoos etc, and pharmaceuticals that find their way into the water supply of even richer countries. If anyone is really interested in water in particular, I recommend the documentary "Flow". It touches on these issues. Also, "Trashed" examines some of the waste issues in the US.

Sadly waste is another way the richer countries exploit poorer countries. We send our "e-waste" overseas and whatever the poorer countries don't sell to their people ends up in dumps with NO liners. Sometimes the stuff is literally thrown right into streams that are supposed to provide drinking water. This is seen throughout many subsaharan coastal African countries as well as coastal areas in poorer Asian countries. Why predominantly coastal areas? Because the stuff is shipped in huge containers on large ships.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox!
    You know, you guys make some good points. I've seen places in Italy where people are happy, high up in the hills. Americans need to lower their standards a bit.
    We don't NEED a shopping mall around the corner! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Also, people could start spreading more into the countrysides.
    (Not cutting trees in the process of course..)
    But this all starts with people letting go of their capitalist, materialistic mentality.
    <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • I agree with all of you! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
    Of course the problem is not the number of people per se, but our way of life... But as long as we, as a civilization, don't live in an environmentally-friendly way, and every person adds more consumption and waste to the Earth than they can neutralize, the number of people IS the problem. All of you have been saying that we could do this and that, and if we did then things would be OK, but the question is: ARE we going to change? ARE we going to think long-term more than short-term? And if we do change, will we do it before it's too late? OK, that's more than 1 question... I don't know the answers (one can carry different levels of optimism or pessimism in this respect), but I think the questions should weigh heavily on all people.
  • Its herIts her Posts: 1,137
    IMO I don't think over-population is the real problem either. Efficiency is the problem. There are always better ways of doing things. All the fresh young minds coming out of Universities should be able to come up with solutions to problem issues like clean energy sources, renewable resources, drinking water, nutricious food production and distribution, poverty, waste disposal, etc. It's crazy talk when scientist talk of putting colonies on the moon or mars. When you scan the land areas on Google earth, the <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> vast majority <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> of land is not inhabited because it is a harsh climate--too cold, dry, elevated, wet, etc. Even sustainable under water or under sand homes have been built. It's a matter of allocating money to the right projects. The billions of dollars used for space exploration or offensive war could be used to build geo-thermal heated homes in the artic, desalinization plants for arid coastal regions, pipelines, greenhouses for food production anywhere--the list could go on and on. There are literally thousands of organizations out there doing innovative things to make life better for people around the world-- like encouraging fair trade, giving interest-free small loans to poor people to start small businesses, teaching better agricultural methods, on and on. <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> A planet filled with love for other people of all cultures, for animals, for the planet would be limitless. <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> But back to reality...and human nature, good and evil. It's not time yet...

It is NOT too many people, it is only ONE...

The one in the mirror. <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

And it IS TIME. NOW. To make a change.

First, in how we think, and then in how we do.

The One who designed things here SAID to go forth and FILL the earth with people. He said His house shall be <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> FULL. It's not full, yet. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> We did the fun part, and then got all lascivious (without restraint; too lazy to restrain our own selves) on Him. We got lax on instilling virtue and values (good, conscientious, responsible character) into our children, for a GENERATION or two. We let things go to pot, thinking someone else would do it...And, mostly, people STILL do.

I don't know about the old countries, but, <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> HALF of America (where we, here, are free to do almost anything, ourselves) are waiting and complaining for "the government" to do something, as if we are little kids with NO authority, or ambition, ourselves.

There have always been vast areas of earth which were unpopulated, due to harsh environmental issues. America used to be such a place. Men of CHARACTER ambitiously CONQUERED these, by sheer will power and dilligence to do the hard thing for the great benefit: WORK. (I'm talking about the Natives, here, who occupied the harshest coldest and hottest places, here, from coast to coast. Eventually, in cooperation with these, the very first (NOT talking about later...) Europeans were able to make it work, here, too.)

The first people here respected the earth, killing animals and cutting down trees only to live, not for greed.

Now, we've gotten to the point that even other people are expendable (LEGAL <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> "voluntary" euthanasia, after they've mind-F'd you or your relatives and drugged the victim...(yeah, why do you THINK you have to sign paper for this? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: --> they can't do it without you----YET <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->; legal <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x --> abortion, street executions---do you think neighborhood thugs thought these things up?, etc....)

Please...be very, very careful in believing the <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> LIE <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> that the earth is overburdened with people. In doing so, you set your self and your children up for methodical extermination, by your peers...

God's Word says it ain't over until HE says it is. He said, ..."there will be seedtime and harvest...", which necessarily means, we will never run out of resources--perhaps just different ones, though, as we let things go extinct) , and nothing we made with our (only next to HIS <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: --> ) pea brains is UNrecycleable by HIM <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) --> <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
  • IMO I don't think over-population is the real problem either. Efficiency is the problem. There are always better ways of doing things. All the fresh young minds coming out of Universities should be able to come up with solutions to problem issues like clean energy sources, renewable resources, drinking water, nutricious food production and distribution, poverty, waste disposal, etc. It's crazy talk when scientist talk of putting colonies on the moon or mars. When you scan the land areas on Google earth, the <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> vast majority <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> of land is not inhabited because it is a harsh climate--too cold, dry, elevated, wet, etc. Even sustainable under water or under sand homes have been built. It's a matter of allocating money to the right projects. The billions of dollars used for space exploration or offensive war could be used to build geo-thermal heated homes in the artic, desalinization plants for arid coastal regions, pipelines, greenhouses for food production anywhere--the list could go on and on. There are literally thousands of organizations out there doing innovative things to make life better for people around the world-- like encouraging fair trade, giving interest-free small loans to poor people to start small businesses, teaching better agricultural methods, on and on. <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> A planet filled with love for other people of all cultures, for animals, for the planet would be limitless. <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> But back to reality...and human nature, good and evil. It's not time yet...

The One who designed things here SAID to go forth and FILL the earth with people. He said His house shall be <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> FULL. It's not full, yet. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> We did the fun part, and then got all lascivious (without restraint; too lazy to restrain our own selves) on Him. We got lax on instilling virtue and values (good, conscientious, responsible character) into our children, for a GENERATION or two. We let things go to pot, thinking someone else would do it...And, mostly, people STILL do.

I don't know about the old countries, but, <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> HALF of America (where we, here, are free to do almost anything, ourselves) are waiting and complaining for "the government" to do something, as if we are little kids with NO authority, or ambition, ourselves.

There have always been vast areas of earth which were unpopulated, due to harsh environmental issues. America used to be such a place. Men of CHARACTER ambitiously CONQUERED these, by sheer will power and dilligence to do the hard thing for the great benefit: WORK. (I'm talking about the Natives, here, who occupied the harshest coldest and hottest places, here, from coast to coast. Eventually, in cooperation with these, the very first (NOT talking about later...) Europeans were able to make it work, here, too.)

The first people here respected the earth, killing animals and cutting down trees only to live, not for greed.

Now, we've gotten to the point that even other people are expendable (LEGAL <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> "voluntary" euthanasia, after they've mind-F'd you or your relatives and drugged the victim...(yeah, why do you THINK you have to sign paper for this? <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: --> they can't do it without you----YET <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->; legal <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x --> abortion, street executions---do you think neighborhood thugs thought these things up?, etc....)

Please...be very, very careful in believing the <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> LIE <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> that the earth is overburdened with people. In doing so, you set your self and your children up for methodical extermination, by your peers...

God's Word says it ain't over until HE says it is. He said, ..."there will be seedtime and harvest...", which necessarily means, we will never run out of resources--perhaps just different ones, though, as we let things go extinct) , and nothing we made with our (only next to HIS <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: --> ) pea brains is UNrecycleable by HIM <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) --> <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->

now i have to go back up and read everyone else's post . i couldn't wait to get to yours.
    i am sure responses will follow. armor up.
  • You know, you guys make some good points. I've seen places in Italy where people are happy, high up in the hills. Americans need to lower their standards a bit.
    We don't NEED a shopping mall around the corner! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Also, people could start spreading more into the countrysides.
    (Not cutting trees in the process of course..)
    But this all starts with people letting go of their capitalist, materialistic mentality.
    <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->

yeah and add to that the way they build one by using what used to be farm land and ten years down the road abandon it and tear up a new area of farmland to build a new shopping mall.
    IMO I don't think over-population is the real problem either. Efficiency is the problem. There are always better ways of doing things. All the fresh young minds coming out of Universities should be able to come up with solutions to problem issues like clean energy sources, renewable resources, drinking water, nutricious food production and distribution, poverty, waste disposal, etc. It's crazy talk when scientist talk of putting colonies on the moon or mars. When you scan the land areas on Google earth, the <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> vast majority <!-- s:idea: -->:idea:<!-- s:idea: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> of land is not inhabited because it is a harsh climate--too cold, dry, elevated, wet, etc. Even sustainable under water or under sand homes have been built. It's a matter of allocating money to the right projects. The billions of dollars used for space exploration or offensive war could be used to build geo-thermal heated homes in the artic, desalinization plants for arid coastal regions, pipelines, greenhouses for food production anywhere--the list could go on and on. There are literally thousands of organizations out there doing innovative things to make life better for people around the world-- like encouraging fair trade, giving interest-free small loans to poor people to start small businesses, teaching better agricultural methods, on and on. <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> A planet filled with love for other people of all cultures, for animals, for the planet would be limitless. <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> But back to reality...and human nature, good and evil. It's not time yet...

now i have to go back up and read everyone else's post . i couldn't wait to get to yours.
    i am sure responses will follow. armor up.

<!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> Yeah, uh... I know...But Right Makes Might <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> Think positive <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> . Maybe people will feel some truth and set down their swords, pondering the possibilities, FIRST, eh? <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I hope I have broad enough shoulders to weather any flak from things I feel I am compelled to say. I sure can't keep it to myself, when it could save a life, here. <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: --> Girl, you are TOO nice! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • @it's her: to steal a phrase from the man

i love yyyyyyyyyyyooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    @ Suspicious mind:

WHAT can I say to THAT <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

As long as we are quoting the Man, I'll do it, <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) --> TOO:

I LOVE YOU MORE <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: --> <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->