Ne-Yo: MJ Album a Travesty

scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
edited January 1970 in News
Ne-Yo: MJ Album a Travesty
12/20/2010 6:10 AM PST by TMZ Staff

Ne-Yo is staging a one-man boycott of the new Michael Jackson album -- telling us he doesn't want to listen to it because he doesn't think MJ would have EVER wanted it to be released.

WATCH VIDEO: <!-- m -->http://www.tmz.com/2010/12/20/michael-j ... -travesty/<!-- m -->

The singer/songwriter/producer was in NY this weekend -- where he explained MJ was such a perfectionist, "If Michael was still alive ... I don't think the album would be out yet."

He added, "I'm gonna stick to my old Mike."

Comments

• But Michael IS still alive.....I dont know why but this article gave me the feeling that maybe one of the places where Michael is/was hiding could possibly be in New York.
  • nefarinefari Posts: 1,227
    I just knew Ne-Yo would figure in to this somewhere down the line. Would someone on this forum kindly listen to the song off of Libra Scale Ne-Yo's current album called "Cause I said So" and listen really close to the "OH KNOW's!!" all the way through this song and tell me if I'm crazy or is that Michael... or does Ne-Yo just do a good imitation of Michael. Also the song called "What have I Done" the last song on the album, sounds exactly like it should have been Michael singing it and Ne-Yo is doing a very find job of trying to sound like Michael.
  • Guess he'd rather keep Michael's legacy dusty, than keep it going. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> Oh well. Ya can't please the entire world.
  • I just knew Ne-Yo would figure in to this somewhere down the line. Would someone on this forum kindly listen to the song off of Libra Scale Ne-Yo's current album called "Cause I said So" and listen really close to the "OH KNOW's!!" all the way through this song and tell me if I'm crazy or is that Michael... or does Ne-Yo just do a good imitation of Michael. Also the song called "What have I Done" the last song on the album, sounds exactly like it should have been Michael singing it and Ne-Yo is doing a very find job of trying to sound like Michael.

Actually, Ne-Yo admitted that his record (which is very good IMO), Libra Scale is very inspired by MJ. I would even go as far as to say that some of the tracks may have originally been for Michael but due to circumstances, never were recorded or never was released since June 25th happened. MJ's inspiration has always been evident in Ne-Yo's work but I will say that Ne-Yo does have his own spin. I also think will.i.am and Ne-Yo make a very good point. There is more than enough music of his completed work that he approved of, from Jackson 5 to Jacksons to his solo work to satisfy fans and music lovers so it is interesting that this album was released in the first place when most of the songs were obviously not completed. So I understand both sides of argument. I think his legacy will always last due to what he did pre-June 25th but I also understand why others may feel the need to keep releasing music from Michael to keep his name out there. I'm just curious what does Michael think of all of this and if Michael had input on this record or not. In any event, it is nice to hear new music from him but thinking from the artist point of view, it would be frustrating to see incomplete work released to the public without the artist's consent IF that is the case with 'Michael'.
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    "If Michael was still alive ... I don't think the album would be out yet."

But Michael IS alive.... so Michael alive + album out = OKAY for Michael
  • But Michael IS alive.... so Michael alive + album out = OKAY for Michael

then his family is against him.
    ok, got it.
  • All i can say is Michael IS alive he knows, and well Ne-yo needs to loosen up a bit let the album get some type of credit. There is no need at all to trash it......MICHAEL APPROVES <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • i wish i were so sure of everything, like you..
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    I would like to know what if any family member would have thought nothing of this CD, are all these people opining about whether or not the voice of Michael? <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    I bought Ne-Yo's last album as soon as it got out, like it a lot. The booklet is pretty interesting and the lyrics of the songs as well. I am moving so the cd is packed somewhere, but if I find it I will try to explain what I mean.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265

ok, got it.

Not the whole family I think. But do you like the album? And what is it that you got?
  • The only explanation that comes to my mind on this is: "Scripted"
    Now we have a battle of the producers:
    Akon + Teddy - vs - Ne-Yo + Will I Am
    Quincy apparently didn't want to take part in this game...
  • trustno1trustno1 Posts: 654

ok, got it.

Not the whole family I think. But do you like the album? And what is it that you got?

Apart from a grudge? <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • I bought Ne-Yo's last album as soon as it got out, like it a lot. The booklet is pretty interesting and the lyrics of the songs as well. I am moving so the cd is packed somewhere, but if I find it I will try to explain what I mean.

You`re moving and still find enough time for the forum, WOW, I appreciate that ; when I move I am glad to even find time to eat....Happy christmas in your new home, Souza!
  • Uhhhh..... Well what I got from this:
    Ne-Yo says if Michael were alive this album would not be out, so does that make Michael dead?
    And we have two beLIEvers (Akon & Teddy Riley) supporting the album and two non-beLIEvers (Ne-Yo & Will.I.Am) opposing it. Soooo... does this mean this album is for the beLIEvers?
    This is making my head numb. <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • I just knew Ne-Yo would figure in to this somewhere down the line. Would someone on this forum kindly listen to the song off of Libra Scale Ne-Yo's current album called "Cause I said So" and listen really close to the "OH KNOW's!!" all the way through this song and tell me if I'm crazy or is that Michael... or does Ne-Yo just do a good imitation of Michael. Also the song called "What have I Done" the last song on the album, sounds exactly like it should have been Michael singing it and Ne-Yo is doing a very find job of trying to sound like Michael.

Actually, Ne-Yo admitted that his record (which is very good IMO), Libra Scale is very inspired by MJ. I would even go as far as to say that some of the tracks may have originally been for Michael but due to circumstances, never were recorded or never was released since June 25th happened. MJ's inspiration has always been evident in Ne-Yo's work but I will say that Ne-Yo does have his own spin. I also think will.i.am and Ne-Yo make a very good point. There is more than enough music of his completed work that he approved of, from Jackson 5 to Jacksons to his solo work to satisfy fans and music lovers so it is interesting that this album was released in the first place when most of the songs were obviously not completed. So I understand both sides of argument. I think his legacy will always last due to what he did pre-June 25th but I also understand why others may feel the need to keep releasing music from Michael to keep his name out there. I'm just curious what does Michael think of all of this and if Michael had input on this record or not. In any event, it is nice to hear new music from him but thinking from the artist point of view, it would be frustrating to see incomplete work released to the public without the artist's consent IF that is the case with 'Michael'.

I agree. Michael created his own legacy, and it's not "dusty" and it will never be. Most people in this world have yet to see "Ghosts", which is a masterpiece (I keep mentioning it on this forum whenever I can). And I think it's good to keep a "what if" perspective on things, and try to see both sides to the issues... We don't know that Michael is alive, after all. I personally don't hear Michael on some of the tracks on the album, and that's really preventing me from enjoying the album. It's a bit like TII... It makes me feel guilty and sad.
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    Uhhhh..... Well what I got from this:
    Ne-Yo says if Michael were alive this album would not be out, so does that make Michael dead?
    And we have two beLIEvers (Akon & Teddy Riley) supporting the album and two non-beLIEvers (Ne-Yo & Will.I.Am) opposing it. Soooo... does this mean this album is for the beLIEvers?

Maybe the final "Michael" album is not out yet......
    "Listen the entire album on michaeljackson.com" seemed strange to me anyway

Maybe Michael is not that interested in music anymore as he moved to interactive movies ......OR WHATEVER..... he will explain it all when he will be back
  • msteetee34msteetee34 Posts: 1,234
    Why does everyone have so much to say about this new album. I think Neyo is just making assumptions about what MJ wanted. Anyway how would he know what MJ wanted? I don't believe MJ was friends with Neyo. He's just an admirer of MJ. Just look at his last video One in a million. I'll stick with Akon and Teddy's opinion because they were actually friends with him. Even Jackie Jackson is cool with the album.
  • not a NEYO fan no way... <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->

I think will.i.am and Ne-Yo are in on this. Call me crazy but I always believed more people are "in on it" than it seems. I mean lots of people. I think they're playing a role, to balance it out. (Where have I heard this "balanced" thing before?) Michael apparently loves the controversy, so why not put two huge names (the huge ones being Will.I.Am and Ne-Yo) against to big, but somewhat irrelevant names (being Akon and Teddy Riley).

It seems pre-planned really. Ne-Yo just released his new album. And Will.I.Am is involved in a lot of new projects with famous artists (such as Nicki Minaj) and just released an album as well. Very well advertised. You have this against Teddy Riley ... who quite honestly, I still don't know what he does besides produce. And Akon, who may be doing some music but isn't well advertised. See what I'm saying?

Faith is being tested. Who do you believe? Teddy Riley the somewhat-well-known producer? Or Will and Ne-Yo? Two huge names. To me it seems logical, but obviously some people choose to follow the big names, just for that reason. Because they're bigger in the business.

That's the vibe I'm getting.
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    MJs bodyguards are not buying it either..
  • msteetee34msteetee34 Posts: 1,234
    Uhhhh..... Well what I got from this:

I think will.i.am and Ne-Yo are in on this. Call me crazy but I always believed more people are "in on it" than it seems. I mean lots of people. I think they're playing a role, to balance it out. (Where have I heard this "balanced" thing before?) Michael apparently loves the controversy, so why not put two huge names (the huge ones being Will.I.Am and Ne-Yo) against to big, but somewhat irrelevant names (being Akon and Teddy Riley).

It seems pre-planned really. Ne-Yo just released his new album. And Will.I.Am is involved in a lot of new projects with famous artists (such as Nicki Minaj) and just released an album as well. Very well advertised. You have this against Teddy Riley ... who quite honestly, I still don't know what he does besides produce. And Akon, who may be doing some music but isn't well advertised. See what I'm saying?

Faith is being tested. Who do you believe? Teddy Riley the somewhat-well-known producer? Or Will and Ne-Yo? Two huge names. To me it seems logical, but obviously some people choose to follow the big names, just for that reason. Because they're bigger in the business.

No disrespect but I wouldn't call Teddy Riley and Akon irrelevant. Teddy Riley had major success as a R&B artist in the 90's. He was in the group Blackstreet that had several hit songs and also the group Guy. He is also responsible for the New Jack swing style of music in the 90's. Maybe your too young to know about Teddy Riley or older but he is more than just a no name producer. Akon as well is a well known artist who has also had hit songs. I'm sure that Teddy Riley has way more success under his belt than Neyo and Will I am because he's been in the game for like 20 years. That's why MJ sought him out as a producer. I honestly don't really care for Will I am. I think he is strange. Neyo is okay but sometimes he rips off MJ style too much. I'm still not sold on Neyo and Will knowing anything just an opinion.

No disrespect but I wouldn't call Teddy Riley and Akon irrelevant. Teddy Riley had major success as a R&B artist in the 90's. He was in the group Blackstreet that had several hit songs and also the group Guy. He is also responsible for the New Jack swing style of music in the 90's. Maybe your too young to know about Teddy Riley or older but he is more than just a no name producer. Akon as well is a well known artist who has also had hit songs. I'm sure that Teddy Riley has way more success under his belt than Neyo and Will I am because he's been in the game for like 20 years. That's why MJ sought him out as a producer. I honestly don't really care for Will I am. I think he is strange. Neyo is okay but sometimes he rips off MJ style too much. I'm still not sold on Neyo and Will knowing anything just an opinion.

Neyo bores me. he has some songs but I'm not a fan. Not a fan of BEP either. both are quite gimmicky to me.