Music History: Michael Jackson And Paul McCartney First Spok

Tink.I.AmTink.I.Am Posts: 878
edited January 1970 in News
Music History: Michael Jackson And Paul McCartney First Spoke 29 Years Ago

(RTTNews) - Michael Jackson called former Beatle Paul McCartney on December 25, 1981, a conversation that would lead to their successful collaborations over the next couple years, with the hits "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say."

As described by McCartney in an interview with an Italian newspaper, the exchange started like this:

"The phone rang at home around 10 o'clock in the morning. A voice whispers, 'Mr. McCartney would you like to hear some of my songs?' And it bothered me, I did not know the guy personally, so I said if you want to send me tapes, do. Then, he seemed embarrassed . . . 'Sir, I am Michael Jackson, you do not recognize me?'"

The pair would collaborate on "The Girl Is Mine," written by Jackson and appearing on his blockbuster "Thriller" album. There would also be "Say Say Say" and "The Man," which appeared on McCartney's "Pipes of Peace" LP.

by RTT Staff Writer
<!-- m -->http://www.rttnews.com/Content/Entertai ... 14481&SM=1<!-- m -->
12/25/2010 12:03 AM ET

Comments

• AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Paul talks about his Christmas phone call from Michael on this Letterman interview, which aired less than a month after Michael "died". The Michael stuff starts at about 2 minutes, but watch the whole thing. Paul's pretty funny. And interestingly enough, he talks about the "Paul is dead" rumor in the first couple minutes. He also talks about Michael buying the Beatles catalog.

[youtube:2vu5ka39]