U.N. Security Council approves Libya no-fly zone resolution

SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
edited January 1970 in News
It just got through.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Comments

• MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    The Mediteranean flights are in danger <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
  • Oh God help us all..
  • LoesLoes Posts: 612
    I have CNN on and keep an eye on it.
    It's all so scary what's happening in this world these days ... <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->

2ebaamu.jpg
    It was about to come. I said it already. UN was going to step in and this is just the beginning.
    Too many situations happening in the world at the same time, what a madness. Let´s not forget Bahrain..
    It´s a long article
    <!-- m -->http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/afric ... tml?hpt=C2<!-- m -->
  • gwynnedgwynned Posts: 1,361
    I'm not worried. I can't say I know what's going on, but I can't take this 'rebellion' seriously as argued in another thread. We'll see how this no fly zone referendum plays out, but my guess it's more show than anything else.

<!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18118<!-- l -->
    I am afraid that the lybian war is not a hoax <!-- s:| -->:|<!-- s:| -->

You may be afraid, but what is your evidence? I have looked through lots of photos and footage and cannot find one that looks real. If you have some compelling evidence, I would love to see it. Given what we've learned from the hoax, I keep a skeptical eye on all events.

You may be afraid, but what is your evidence? I have looked through lots of photos and footage and cannot find one that looks real. If you have some compelling evidence, I would love to see it. Given what we've learned from the hoax, I keep a skeptical eye on all events.

My evidence is that my hairdresser is lybian and his whole family is there. Is a chaos there.

My evidence is that my hairdresser is lybian and his whole family is there. Is a chaos there.

That may be evidence for you, but it's merely heresay to me.
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    UN-NATO The Mother of All Harlots IMPERIALIST

That may be evidence for you, but it's merely heresay to me.

Is getting the info from a direct source whos family is suffering the riots happening.
  • Plane shot down in Libya

630498-plane-shot-down-over-libya.jpg

A PLANE has been shot down over the main rebel-held city in eastern Libya.

An Associated Press reporter saw the plane go down in flames outside Benghazi early today after the area came under shelling.

A black cloud went up over the city's southern outskirts.

Muammar Gaddafi's government declared a ceasefire on Friday in an attempt to outmanoeuvre Western military intervention.

But the opposition has been saying shells rained down well after the announcement and accused the Libyan leader of lying.

Meanwhile, NATO's top decision-making body is meeting in emergency session to review military plans for a no-fly zone over Libya.

The North Atlantic Council (NAC) is expected to issue the order to launch the operation in coming days.

Officials said the military staff was putting the final touches on plans to deploy dozens of fighter-bombers, tankers, helicopters and surveillance planes to several air bases along Europe's southern rim.

The consultations were adjourned soon after they started to await the results of a summit of allied leaders in Paris.

Leaders from the Arab world, Africa, the US and other Western powers are meeting there for urgent talks over possible military action against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

Diplomats said they expected the NAC envoys to resume their conference at 4pm .
    The gang of criminals imperial began their attacks to Libya

Sarkozy said that French aircraft "already avoid attacks" of the Libyan army
    23 min ago

Paris, 19 mar (EFE).-the French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, announced today that Gallic aircraft "already avoid attacks" of the army of Libya on the civilian population of that country.

<!-- m -->http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/9/20110319 ... 88ffc.html<!-- m -->
  • ROFLROFL Posts: 530
    This is so ridiculous, why didnt they do anything to help the people in darfour but all of a sudden they want to help people in lybia? yeah sure it's all about money and power. Darfour didnt matter because there's no oil there and they've been trying to do something against Khadafi for years so now that's a good opportunity

This world is scary <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->
    This is so ridiculous, why didnt they do anything to help the people in darfour but all of a sudden they want to help people in lybia? yeah sure it's all about money and power. Darfour didnt matter because there's no oil there and they've been trying to do something against Khadafi for years so now that's a good opportunity

This world is scary <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

Yes. The perfect excuse to put their noses and "save" the country. Control and money. That´s all.
  • In the long run, it always comes down with money, and greed. Innocent people have to die . This will never stop.
  • In the long run, it always comes down with money, and greed. Innocent people have to die . This will never stop.

nope , not as long as man is running things.

thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven
    I'm hearing the statements of Mr Obama (peace Nobel Prize) and I am disgust such perversion. Talking about this gentleman struggles of their nationals in the simple justification of the use of the international task force for the defence of civilians in Libya and Afghanistan. And I wonder: when they have respected civilians? There are hundreds of thousands of civilians, children, women and elderly people killed, tortured, violated and massacred vilely for American soldiers and their henchmen in Iraq, Afghanistan and before Panama and VIETNAM among others, seek put the hands to the oil and water from Libya. Gaddafi was good lately while it was useful for their purposes, in the same way that HUSSEIN (do you remember?), were turning a blind eye to his continuation in power without elections, it did not matter; now use the revolts in the Arab world <!-- s:evil: -->:evil:<!-- s:evil: -->
  • SarahliSarahli Posts: 4,265
    Obviously these countries will certainly not spend their money (read bullets) to help the Lybian people. This is for their non proclaimed self-interest. But everything they're doing will somehow backfire against them. We are in the process of mass awakening and everything that's necessary for that to happen will be coming until the goal is finally achieved. So don't worry everything is under control despite the visible chaos around. Let's keep on praying God it will be rewarded soon.
  • Obviously these countries will certainly not spend their money (read bullets) to help the Lybian people. This is for their non proclaimed self-interest. But everything they're doing will somehow backfire against them. We are in the process of mass awakening and everything that's necessary for that to happen will be coming until the goal is finally achieved. So don't worry everything is under control despite the visible chaos around. Let's keep on praying God it will be rewarded soon.

Isnt it sad that your country (France) and my country (UK) are so heavily involved in this?

I know UK has had a lot of past dealings with Ghadaffi and i feel our government think this is payback time now.
    Ghadaffi has done a lot of things that cannot be erased from memory. Funding the IRA is one of them.
    But David Cameron waltzing around the middle east with arms dealers in tow, isnt a good look either.

But its all corrupt. Every countrys leader is infected with it. Its about money, power and OIL. But mostly POWER.
  • hesouttamylifehesouttamylife Posts: 5,393
    Power is the end game in all of this. Money, greed, and power. We’re all going to hell in a handbasket. It seems so amazing that the rule of so few can cause nations of so many to literally self destruct. Apocalyptic is all. No one should hold that much power. No one. You want to fight, then YOU go. Don’t send anybody else to a conquest YOU won’t make a sacrifice for.
  • willddoMJwillddoMJ Posts: 699
    Lybia will be sorted out with allied help hopefully, remember 2012 is around corner <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
  • I am so NOT happy about this shit. Salt <!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(2010_film<!-- m -->) is happening right now and it is no surprise to me. Egypt was the biggest clue that something is about to go down big time. It can be linked to The 3rd Temple that is supposed to be built on the Temple Mount.
    <!-- m -->http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/fo ... ead=195686<!-- m -->

<!-- m -->http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_libya<!-- m -->

First wave of allied assault: 112 cruise missiles
    ba0fa87f127ade8a4870f5483fff5944.jpegAP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus
    Libyan rebels celebrate on a captured Government tank in the outskirts of Benghazi, eastern Libya, Saturday, March 19, 2011.

By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer Robert Burns, Ap National Security Writer – 56 mins ago

WASHINGTON – U.S. and British ships and submarines launched the first phase of a missile assault on Libyan air defenses Saturday and a senior American defense official said it was believed substantial damage was inflicted.

In the strikes, 112 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired at more than 20 coastal targets to clear the way for air patrols to ground Libya's air force.

While U.S. defense officials cautioned that it was too early to fully gauge the impact of the onslaught, the official said that given the precision targeting of the Navy's cruise missiles, they felt that Libya's air defenses suffered a good deal of damage.

Explosions continued to rock the coastal cities, including Tripoli. Navy Vice Adm. Wiliam E. Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Staff, would not discuss future operations But defense officials said military action was likely to continue.

The official spoke on grounds of anonymity because the ongoing mission.

In announcing the mission during a visit to Brazil, President Barack Obama said he was reluctant to resort to force but was convinced it was necessary to save the lives of civilians. He reiterated that he would not send American ground troops to Libya.

"We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," he said in Brasilia.

While U.S. defense officials said it was too early to gauge the impact of the onslaught, one senior official said that given the precision targeting of the Navy's cruise missiles, they believe Libya's air defenses suffered a good deal of damage.

It was clear the U.S. intended to limit its role in the Libya intervention, focusing first on disabling or otherwise silencing Libyan air defenses, and then leaving it to European and perhaps Arab countries to enforce a no-fly zone over the North African nation.
    capt.photo_1300438092395-65-0.jpg
    AFP/Patrick Baz

Gortney told reporters the cruise missile assault was the "leading edge" of a coalition campaign dubbed Operation Odyssey Dawn. Its aim: prevent Moammar Gadhafi's forces from inflicting more violence on civilians -- particularly in and around the rebel stronghold of Benghazi -- and degrading the Libyan military's ability to contest a no-fly zone.

"This is not an outcome the U.S. or any of our partners sought," Obama said from Brazil, where he is starting a five-day visit to Latin America. "Our consensus was strong, and our resolve is clear. The people of Libya must be protected, and in the absence of an immediate end to the violence against civilians our coalition is prepared to act, and to act with urgency."

A chief target of Saturday's cruise missile attack was Libya's SA-5 surface-to-air missiles, which are considered a moderate threat to some allied aircraft. Libya's overall air defenses are based on older Soviet technology but Gortney called them capable and a potential threat to allied aircraft.

Also targeted: early warning radars and unspecified communications facilities, Gortney said. The U.S. military has extensive recent experience in such combat missions; U.S. Air Force and Navy aircraft repeatedly attacked Iraq's air defenses during the 1990s while enforcing a no-fly zone over Iraq's Kurdish north.

Cruise missiles are the weapon of first choice in such campaigns; they do not put pilots at risk, and they use navigational technologies that provide good precision.

The first Tomahawk cruise missiles struck at 3 p.m. EDT, Gortney said, after a one-hour flight from the U.S. and British vessels on station in the Mediterranean.

They were fired from five U.S. ships — the guided-missile destroyers USS Stout and USS Barry, and three submarines, USS Providence, USS Scranton and USS Florida.

The U.S. has at least 11 naval vessels in the Mediterranean, including three submarines, two destroyers, two amphibious warfare ships and the USS Mount Whitney, a command-and-control vessel that is the flagship of the Navy's 6th Fleet. Also in the area are Navy P-3 and EP-3 surveillance aircraft, officials said.

Gortney initially had said that it could take as long as 12 hours to assess the effectiveness of Saturday's strikes. Then a high-altitude Global Hawk unmanned surveillance plane would overfly the target areas to get a more precise view, the admiral said. He would not say how long the attacks on Libyan air defenses would last, but he stressed that Saturday's assault with cruise missiles was the first phase of a multi-stage mission.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, in a statement late Saturday, said, "I support the actions taken today by our allies, with the support of several Arab countries, to prevent the tyrant Moammar Qaddafi from perpetrating further atrocities on the people of Libya."

"And I support the president's decision to deploy U.S. assets to help those allies to enforce a no-fly zone to protect Libyan civilians as laid out in the United Nations resolution," the Nevada Democrat said. "This U.S. military action was not taken lightly, and it was done in concert with a broad international coalition."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who was scheduled to fly to Russia on Saturday afternoon to begin a week-long overseas trip, postponed his departure for 24 hours. Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said Gates decided he should remain in Washington to monitor developments in Libya at the outset of U.S. strikes.

Gates had been skeptical of getting involved in Libya's civil war, telling Congress earlier this month that taking out Libya's air defenses was tantamount to war. Others have worried that the mission could put the U.S. on a slippery slope to deeper involvement in yet another Muslim country — on top of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hours after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton attended an international conference in Paris that endorsed military action against Gadhafi, the U.S. and Britain kicked off their attacks.

At a news conference in Paris, Clinton said Gadhafi had left the world no choice but to intervene urgently and forcefully to protect further loss of civilian life.

"We have every reason to fear that, left unchecked, Gadhafi would commit unspeakable atrocities," she told reporters.

Clinton said there was no evidence that Gadhafi's forces were respecting an alleged cease-fire they proclaimed and the time for action was now.

"Our assessment is that the aggressive action by Gadhafi's forces continues in many parts of the country," she said. "We have seen no real effort on the part of the Gadhafi forces to abide by a cease-fire."

In addition to the three submarines and two destroyers, the U.S. Navy ships in the Mediterranean include two amphibious warships, the USS Kearsarge and USS Ponce, and a command-and-control ship, the USS Mount Whitney.

___

Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor contributed to this report.
  • NightOwlNightOwl Posts: 150
    Here we go - an intervention. As we've discussed on another thread for weeks.
    This is not about helping Libyans. This is a pattern, an overthrow of power to gain the wealths of a country.
    Weather or not Libyans were under a dictator is true or not, they will in the future be under the control of private, foreign corporations ultimately owned by a small group.

"We are witnessing a tranfer of wealth of unfathomable size. It is a transfer of wealth from public hands, from the hands of government collected from regular people in the form of taxes, into the hands of the wealthiest corporations and individuals in the world. Needless to say, the very individuals and corporations that created this crisis."
    Naomi Klein (author of "The Shock Doctrine: the Rise of Disaster Capitalism" )

The capitalist tsunami will destroy the old and when the new ways (like privatization of basic services) have set in, the majority of people, mid-class, will end up poorer than before and will miss the old way. This unhappiness will not make the news, but when you discuss with people home or abroad, it's the same all over. It's happening everywhere.