MJ's 'Thriller' Jacket -- Got $400k Layin' Around?!

ForstAMoonForstAMoon Posts: 1,126
edited January 1970 in News
MJ's 'Thriller' Jacket -- Got $400k Layin' Around?!

Michael Jackson's iconic red jacket from the "Thriller" video is hitting the auction block in Beverly Hills in a few weeks -- and it could be yours ... if you've got a spare $400,000 to blow.

0606-mj-jacket-bn.jpg

The jacket -- which MJ personally autographed to his former costume designers -- is expected to fetch between $200k and $400k ... though we wouldn't be shocked if it soared past half a mil.

The jacket is one of several MJ items featured in the Julien's Auction event on June 25 and 26. Among the more interesting pieces -- the wig Michael wore at his "This Is It" news conference in London and a glove he wore at the American Music Awards.

0606-mj-wig-glove.jpg

The wig is expected to haul in between $4,000 and $6,000 -- and the glove is valued between $20k and $30k.

Comments

• I wish! I've got a Beat It jacket (not worn by MJ, but touched by him from a hug supposedly)
  • I would LOVE to buy the Thriller jacket!!! <!-- sbounce/ -->bounce/<!-- sbounce/ --> <!-- sbounce/ -->bounce/<!-- sbounce/ --> <!-- sbounce/ -->bounce/<!-- sbounce/ -->
    The wig freaked me out for some reason <!-- spale/ -->pale/<!-- spale/ -->

P.S I've seen one of his jackets framed at Hard Rock Cafe here in Dubai <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> It made me cry, i could not believe my own eyes, i was so happy!
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    Gotta love the jacket's prominent reverse-pyramind / "V" shape.

It would look good on me, LOL.
  • Miss.PeppersMiss.Peppers Posts: 998
    The wig freaks me out too... seems a little too personal. Who would want to buy a wig.

I cant explain why, but the wig doesnt seem right to be sold to me either. Seems exploitative.
  • Just a thought...maybe the wig being auctioned off is Michael's way of saying it was him and not a double at the O2.

love~
    mjintrigue2012
  • How do we know that wig was worn by MJ? I personally dont think it was MJ @ that Press Conference, and if he was there, he didnt deliever that speech. Anyways, thats neither here no there.
  • Just a thought...maybe the wig being auctioned off is Michael's way of saying it was him and not a double at the O2.

love~
    mjintrigue2012

Agreed!! Btw, getting a jacket, glove, or dance shoes. Something like that makes sense, but how the hell do you get some one's wig? Why would "MJ" give that wig away?
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    The auction is June 25. I think that day be a lot of information, all who are silente suddenly speak <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Thankyou @LoveNeedsExpression!
    Agreed!! Btw, getting a jacket, glove, or dance shoes. Something like that makes sense, but how the hell do you get some one's wig? Why would "MJ" give that wig away?

The wig may may become a significant piece in Michael's HIStory! A little souvenir from THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Thankyou @LoveNeedsExpression!

The wig may may become a significant piece in Michael's HIStory! A little souvenir from THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I see that lol. The wig just made me laugh!
  • scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
    I would love to have the glove, unfortunately can't afford it. <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The jacket Michael Jackson wore in his "Thriller" video is hitting the auction block.

Auction administrator Darren Julien says the red and black leather jacket is "the most recognized and significant piece of pop culture" to come up for sale, and he expects it to fetch at least $200,000 at the Music Icons auction on June 25 and 26 at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills.

Jackson autographed the jacket as a gift to his longtime costume designers, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush. He wanted them to use the small calfskin jacket as a template for his future concert fashions. A portion of the proceeds from its sale will benefit the Shambala Preserve, where Jackson's two Bengal tigers, Thriller and Sabu, have been living since the pop star left his Neverland ranch in 2006.

Other Jackson items up for sale include the wig he wore when he announced his ill-fated "This Is It" concert series in London, a fedora and spangled glove he wore on stage, his shirt from the "Scream" video and the battered mailbox from the Carolwood Drive estate where Jackson died at age 50 in 2009.

The Music Icons sale also includes one of Eric Clapton's guitars, Frank Sinatra's patent leather boots and 1986 Jaguar, handwritten lyrics and a leather jacket from Johnny Cash, jackets and a guitar from Elvis Presley, a signed harmonica from Bob Dylan and nearly 600 other pieces of music memorabilia from Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, The Beatles and others.

The collection will be on view free to the public from June 13 to 25 at Julien's Auctions Gallery in Beverly Hills.
    <!-- m -->http://omg.yahoo.com/news/michael-jacks ... tion/64383<!-- m -->

It would be just fun to put on MJ's jacket and to look in the mirror only for a sec <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

TMZ is just posting a part of the story, I'm missing:
    A portion of the proceeds from its sale will benefit the Shambala Preserve, where Jackson's two Bengal tigers, Thriller and Sabu, have been living since the pop star left his Neverland ranch in 2006.
    This makes a difference <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

The Thriller jacket at auction could mean that the Thriller era has finished, a new era is about to start: Thriller II <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • I agree with all of you, the wig is very personal, they should not auction it. Why would someone buy hair? What proof do we have it was Michael at the O2 arena wearing the wig??
    And how to get Julien's wig?
    Another wig?
    credits; Grace
    <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=136&t=7084&p=336387#p336387<!-- l -->

[youtube:ne3l0t4s]

<!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQuyfctY ... ata_player<!-- m -->
  • His wig? Okay...

I want that jacket <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P --> You can buy a fairly nice replica for $100 or so.
  • suspicious mindsuspicious mind Posts: 5,984
    ok so where is the source of all this stuff. is it the stuff that was supposed to be at auction before? is the auction totally for charity? and all of the other stuff i saw listed for the auction where they donated by the individuals or is this michael property that was in this mess that thome authorized . think i am a little lost.
  • scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
    THIS IS WEIRD. JULIEN AUCTION SELLS MJ's HOUSE "MAIL BOX". THAT MAIL BOX WHILE I WAS RECENTLY IN CAROOLWOOD WAS IN THE PLACE. HOW COME THEY HAVE IT FOR AUCTION? NOW I GOT SUSPICIOUS IF ALL THESE ITEMS ARE AUTHENTIC.

<!-- m -->https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctio ... /lot/7593/<!-- m -->
  • This article tells me we are getting close to the end...and we are in for another episode of The wig represents "this is it" and the Jacket represents thriller 2 and the glove represents MTV awards coming soon...!!! This is exciting to me!!! i don't know about anybody else!
  • septsept Posts: 13
    Wanted to share one auction item with you all: <!-- m -->https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctio ... /lot/7542/<!-- m -->

<!-- m -->https://www.julienslive.com/images/lot/ ... t47995.jpg<!-- m -->

It reads: "By the talent given me by God Traning (crossed out) Training cultivating it. Studying the greats in my field and becoming greater. like a scientist searching persistent confident to be the Best. Study the greats and become greater. Reach the Zenith of my ability as an actor singer dancer. M.J."

Michael did act in his short films and some parts in movies and he was in his first movie Moonwalker.

Hate to be repeating something, if it's already been mentioned, but I'm not entirely sure what all those 1998 signatures were about, but here's one: <!-- m -->https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctio ... /lot/7451/<!-- m -->
  • For All TimeFor All Time Posts: 259
    I can't afford to buy the jacket....maybe in 10 life's with luck <!-- slolol/ -->lolol/<!-- slolol/ --> But this wig, come on...i don't think it's his wig ! As I don't believe it was MJ at the O2.
  • I wish we knew who paid 1.8 million for the Thriller Jacket. Either way I'm really excited that it drew this much as The Shambala Preserve and Michael's Bengal Tigers are sure to benefit from this. It's great news. Blessings <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[glow=red:2z84lo9e]Winning bid
    $1,800,000[/glow:2z84lo9e]

Estimate:
    $200,000 - $400,000

Starting:
    $100,000

A black and red calf leather jacket with "Marc Laurent Paris" label featuring silver buckles at cuff, red silk lining, trapunto stitched collar, snap front closure and signature winged shoulders. The jacket is inscribed on the inside lining in black marker, "To Bush and Dennis All My Love Michael Jackson." The sleeve is additionally signed in black marker "Love Michael Jackson."

Among the most recognizable and famous garments of the 20th century, Michael Jackson's Thriller jacket sparked a 1980s fashion craze. The jacket was widely copied and sold to adoring fans worldwide. The black and red style of the jacket became so identifiable with Jackson's groundbreaking extended short film/ video for the single "Thriller" that he continued to use jackets of the same design when performing the song "Thriller" for the duration of his career. This jacket is one of two, designed by Deborah Nadoolman Landis, that Jackson owned and wore during the filming of the epic video for the single "Thriller." The other jacket is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, on loan from the Estate of Michael Jackson.

This jacket was given by Michael Jackson to his longtime costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, or just "Bush" as Michael called him. Jackson brought this jacket to Tompkins and Bush to be used as a reference for all of the subsequent concert versions of the "Thriller" jacket they would in turn make during their decades of working exclusively for Jackson. When he first brought it to them, they reportedly asked if he could really dance freely in the jacket, to which Jackson incredulously replied, "Have you seen the video for 'Thriller'?" Clearly, Jackson performed some of the most iconic choreography of our time in that video, without difficulty, while wearing the jacket. At a later date, Jackson officially gifted the jacket to the designers, at which time he added the inscriptions to the left sleeve and interior lining.

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this item will benefit The Shambala Preserve. It is at The Shambala Preserve that Jackson’s two Bengal tigers, Thriller and Sabu, have been living since 2006 when Jackson left Neverland Ranch. Shambala translates to “a meeting place of peace and harmony for all beings, animal and human.”

The Shambala Preserve is under the financial arm of The Roar Foundation, Founded by Tippi Hedren in 1983. It is a sanctuary that has been rescuing big cats since 1972. The Exotic Felines rescued by the Roar Foundation have been born in the U. S. to be sold as pets, and/or for financial gain.

All of the animals at Shambala are given the best care by the animal crew. Their diet was developed by a zoological veterinarian who provides a uniform health among the different species at Shambala. Shambala employs four veterinarians trained in the exotic animal field who take care of the animals.

Thriller and Sabu enjoy their new habitat on the Shambala Lake. The animals have great fun running around, chasing each other, jumping on their high rise den, and splashing in the lake. Thriller is a very complicated lady, choosey in her likes and dislikes on every level. Sabu is a bit more laid back. Both of them are content, relaxed and well protected, in their safe haven. They can be visited at The Shambala Preserve 45 miles outside the city of Los Angeles, 6867 Soledad Canyon Road, Acton, California 93510. For more information please visit <!-- w -->www.shambala.org<!-- w -->

<!-- m -->https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctio ... /lot/7475/<!-- m -->
  • A Fedora Hat with Michael's name embossed in the lining:

Winning bid
    $7,680

Estimate:
    $800 - $1,200

Starting:
    $400
  • shelby61shelby61 Posts: 305
    ok so where is the source of all this stuff. is it the stuff that was supposed to be at auction before? is the auction totally for charity? and all of the other stuff i saw listed for the auction where they donated by the individuals or is this michael property that was in this mess that thome authorized . think i am a little lost.

That is what I thought. I thought alot of this stuff was auctioned off awhile ago. Hmmm seems stories are repeating themselves and it has been throughout this whole hoax.