The new forum, please read.

Comments

• skywaysskyways Posts: 745
    Dear Souza!!  BIG BIG THANK YOU@@ Hopefuly al that effort  wouldnt left unnotice by Michael  @ bcause wthout u existance we wdnt b haved such sophisticated platform and gathered so many smart, intelegent and sinply extraordinary peoples - Bravo, just Bravo!!  Sorry 4 my mistake on writing everybody - i just so happy 2 posting FINALLY via my simple phone@&
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    I will go through your questions later on, give me a little break ok? It's the start of my holiday and I feel like I work harder now than when I do when at work. Patience is the key...

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• GraceGrace Posts: 2,864
    I hope this will be the right thread to post difficulties with the new forum in. The speed of loading pages is a pain. I think it's the addendums that are hampering IMHO. I don't appreciate the "join us" cursor. I want to check the forum also without being logged in and this is just hmmmm. Is it feasible to get the edit button for posts back, please, since the preview destroys all my formats and the text is barely legible. The "reformatting" happened when there was a warning in the sense  of "new post while you were typing" - so my posting process was interrupted, I had to press "post" a second time and the result can be seen below. I would like to make the post more suitable for human beings' eyes but I cannot edit anymore since the edit button has disappeared completely. It might be the case that some folks delete their posts because they change their mind. That is not so terrible IMO. I am re-thinking my phrases all the time. I think it is more positive and contributing to quality to allow editing for some time than to block it completely. There might be a damage to the forum when new members search for an edit button they are used to on other boards and don't find it here. This will withhold people from posting at all. Thanks to all. This an example of layout misfit after preview / posting: http://www.michaeljacksonhoaxforum.com/smf2.0/index.php/topic,19921.msg345279.html#msg345279
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    Grace, can you screenshot your display so we can see what you mean?<br /><br />I think your post is quite lovely, what do you feel is wrong with it (your linked example I mean)?<br /><br />Ps. the upload speed varies when Souza is working on the forum in the background, it comes and goes in the last few days since migration, but it should be fine now, is it still slow for you?
    Well, extra features deleted from the forum, can be found at the homepage (menu). Everyone happy. Edit button is being abused many times by posters who simply deleted their whole posts, which made a mess. I am going to think about it and MAYBE put it back as a test, but that's far from a promise.<br /><br />As for the speed of the forum, it's speedy here. Long thread loads in 2.2 seconds which is more than fine when you look at the size of the database. Also, the forum might be slow at times because I am working on it. In that case believe me, I will notice it as well, so no need for a hundred emails complaining about the slow forum. I can also just close it down when I am working on it, but I don't think anyone would like that.<br /><br />Again, i can not please anyone and there will definitely be people disappointed. That's life, we can't all have it all. I will work on the rest of the complaints after I have been allowed to get some sleep.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

on 1311743075:
    <br />Grace, can you screenshot your display so we can see what you mean?<br />
    <br /><br />It's the breaks that get lost. Everything is getting glued together into one text dough despite it was neatly structured before.<br /><br />This happened to my post above as well.<br /><br />This post is now being posted as a "Quick reply" - I think it's the interruption of the posting process that causes the breaks to disappear.
    on 1311744163:
    <br />
    on 1311743075:
    <br />Grace, can you screenshot your display so we can see what you mean?<br />
    <br /><br />It's the breaks that get lost. Everything is getting glued together into one text dough despite it was neatly structured before.<br /><br />This happened to my post above as well.<br /><br />This post is now being posted as a "Quick reply" - I think it's the interruption of the posting process that causes the breaks to disappear. <br />
    <br /><br />Grace, I have asked in one of my posts for everyone to please go through your profile settings. You can disable that notice yourself.

Hi Souza, I checked my profile.<br />The loss of breaks and of a post structure has nothing to do with my profile?<br /><br />Every text being structured remains with structure only if I'm fast enough in posting and nobody comes in between me typing and me clicking on the "post" button. <br /><br />When another member posted a contribution while I was typing, my posting process is getting interrupted and obviously all breaks from a "enter" and tabs etc. are lost. The text is being condensed to one paragraph only when I had several before. Same happens to photos as in the example link I gave. They are put into the text when I wanted breaks in between.<br /><br />So even with preview I cannot finally say what my post will look like.<br />I have no explanation for this. Seems as if a temp file from preview or cache does not keep the formats.<br />Thanks if you have an idea.<br />
  • ForstAMoonForstAMoon Posts: 1,126
    on 1311786480:
    <br /> Hi Souza, I checked my profile.<br /> The loss of breaks and of a post structure has nothing to do with my profile?<br /> <br /> Every text being structured remains with structure only if I'm fast enough in posting and nobody comes in between me typing and me clicking on the "post" button. <br /> <br /> When another member posted a contribution while I was typing, my posting process is getting interrupted and obviously all breaks from a "enter" and tabs etc. are lost. The text is being condensed to one paragraph only when I had several before. Same happens to photos as in the example link I gave. They are put into the text when I wanted breaks in between.<br /> <br /> So even with preview I cannot finally say what my post will look like.<br /> I have no explanation for this. Seems as if a temp file from preview or cache does not keep the formats.<br /> Thanks if you have an idea.<br /> <br />
    <br /><br />Allow me to help: your problem indeed has to do with your profile setting. <br /><br />Just go to Profile --> Account Setting --> Modify Profile --> Look and Layout. <br /><br />There is a long list of features you can mark/unmark. Just check  ---> Don't warn on new replies made while posting.<br /><br />I hope it will solve your problem. :)
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    The smileys are coming back. WoHoooooo!!! Thanks Souza and the mods.  elvis_/  bounce/ <br /><br />The only problem I am having is, when I quote someone's post, it has to be a quick reply. Wish we could quote the posts in normal reply fucntion because I want to use the smileys, add videos etc and in quick reply I can not see and use any of these features. Hope I could explain what I'm trying to say. It's not a big problem but this feature was better in the old forum. But the rest is AMAZING! Thanks again Souza.   bearhug
    on 1311808812:
    <br />The smileys are coming back. WoHoooooo!!! Thanks Souza and the mods.  elvis_/ bounce/ <br /><br />The only problem I am having is, when I quote someone's post, it has to be a quick reply. Wish we could quote the posts in normal reply fucntion because I want to use the smileys, add videos etc and in quick reply I can not see and use any of these features. Hope I could explain what I'm trying to say. It's not a big problem but this feature was better in the old forum. But the rest is AMAZING! Thanks again Souza.   bearhug <br />
    <br /><br />here is the answer:<br /><br />instead of using[size=14pt] Quote[/size] button, just go to [size=14pt]Replay[/size] button and use [size=14pt]Insert Quote[/size] tab, that you still have in all of the posts in the thread :)
    on 1311809009:
    <br />
    on 1311808812:
    <br />The smileys are coming back. WoHoooooo!!! Thanks Souza and the mods.  elvis_/ bounce/ <br /><br />The only problem I am having is, when I quote someone's post, it has to be a quick reply. Wish we could quote the posts in normal reply fucntion because I want to use the smileys, add videos etc and in quick reply I can not see and use any of these features. Hope I could explain what I'm trying to say. It's not a big problem but this feature was better in the old forum. But the rest is AMAZING! Thanks again Souza.   bearhug <br />
    <br /><br />here is the answer:<br /><br />instead of using[size=14pt] Quote[/size] button, just go to [size=14pt]Replay[/size] button and use [size=14pt]Insert Quote[/size] tab, that you still have in all of the posts in the thread :) <br />
    <br /><br /><br />Thanks babes.  bearhug I also use that but some of the the posts that I want to quote are on other pages of the thread but we see the posts on the last page of the thread only. <br /><br /><br />
    on 1311809571:
    <br />
    on 1311809009:
    <br />
    on 1311808812:
    <br /><br />here is the answer:<br /><br />instead of using[size=14pt] Quote[/size] button, just go to [size=14pt]Replay[/size] button and use [size=14pt]Insert Quote[/size] tab, that you still have in all of the posts in the thread :) <br />
    <br /><br /><br />Thanks babes.  bearhug I also use that but some of the the posts that I want to quote are on other pages of the thread but we see the posts on the last page of the thread only. <br />
    <br /><br />or alternatively you may just change your Look and Layout in your Profile Account Settings --> Use quick reply on topic display--> don't show at all<br /><br />That works for me  :)
  • scorpionchikscorpionchik Posts: 2,669
    How we modify our new post? I don't see that button.
    on 1311810283:
    <br />
    on 1311809571:
    <br />
    on 1311809009:
    <br />
    on 1311808812:
    <br /><br /><br />Thanks babes.  bearhug I also use that but some of the the posts that I want to quote are on other pages of the thread but we see the posts on the last page of the thread only. <br />
    <br /><br />or alternatively you may just change your Look and Layout in your Profile Account Settings --> Use quick reply on topic display--> don't show at all<br /><br />That works for me  :) <br />
    <br /><br />YAAAAAAAAAY  party/ That worked for me too. Thank you so so much hun. bearhug
    on 1311658046:
    <br /><br />Okay, new update:<br /><br />As you all have seen, I installed a homepage for the forum (click 'home' in the menu) where you can find active/new posts and all kind of features, and I set the sideblocks for the forum as well. Just browse it and check it out.<br /><br />Another update is the gallery (again in the menu) where we can create albums. I am going to disable attachments, since they are not working anyway, so this is a great alternative. I will set up some categories, but let me know if you would like to have another one added for your upload. Once uploaded, everyone can use the bbcode for that picture to post in the forum, instead of uploading an attachment.<br /><br />It is still a test though, because if it will slow down the forum when more files are uploaded, I will have to delete it again. So far it's running, so let's hope it stays that way.<br /><br />I will work on the smilies next.<br />
    <br /><br /><br />Okay, image gallery is gone, it slowed down but attachments are enabled. The extra forum features can be found on the 'home' page of the board and the smilies are back. I added a lot of extra features and the bbcodes now also work in quick reply. I tried to make the forum as user friendly as possible and I think that once you all get used to it, you don't even want the old one back anymore. For me this is a much more admin friendly forum and changes can be made easier and safer. This is the forum as it will stay from here on. The logo needs to be changed, but I will open a thread for that.<br /><br />There are many extra features on here, please check them out and use them. Most of them are mentioned in this thread, some you will see automatically by using the forum.<br /><br />I will enable the edit/modify button for now. As soon as I see members deleting complete posts again, I will disable it again.<br /><br />I hope most of you are happy with the new forum and its features, but it seems that most regular users are already quite familiar with it.<br /><br />If you have any questions, let me know. Happy hoaxing!

• fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    Thank you Souza!!!!!  :-*
  • Thanks Bec!  I got my sig back but no luck on the avatar.  After I upload the picture from a file on my hard drive it reads: "The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile: <br />The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar."  Even the one that was transitioned from the old site.  Any tips?  Thanks again!<br />
    on 1311908977:
    <br />Thanks Bec!  I got my sig back but no luck on the avatar.  After I upload the picture from a file on my hard drive it reads: "The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile: <br />The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar."  Even the one that was transitioned from the old site.  Any tips?  Thanks again!<br />
    <br /><br />Can you mail me the avatar? I'll see what I can do.

on 1311807958:
    <br />Just go to Profile --> Account Setting --> Modify Profile --> Look and Layout. <br /><br />There is a long list of features you can mark/unmark. Just check  ---> Don't warn on new replies made while posting.<br /><br />I hope it will solve your problem. :) <br />
    <br /><br />Thanks, I hope that's really it!
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    My name was red before, now is black  ???/
    <br /><br />
    on 1311950918:
    <br />My name was red before, now is black  ???/ <br />
    <br /><br />Gema,  probably you have been a member of Army of L.O.V.E. - now, you can become a member of this group just by yourself. <br />To do so, just go to Profile --> Modify Profile --> Group Membership --> and click to add your name to the list.  :)
    Thanks!!!<br /><br />bearhug
    Lil silly questions<br /><br /><br /> ;)) <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Time profile:<br />[/size]My real date is August 9th :-[  but my profile tells me is August 10th. Does it matter? It´s one day difference.<br /><br /><br />Posting:<br /><br />-I can´t post replies by quoting. I need to copy and paste the quote.<br />-It takes almost a minute to load each page of the forum.<br />-Posting/ reading become almost impossible<br />-At times the pages shows just blank
    on 1312923692:
    <br />Lil silly questions<br /><br /><br /> ;)) <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Time profile:<br />[/size]My real date is August 9th :-[  but my profile tells me is August 10th. Does it matter? It´s one day difference.<br /><br /><br />Posting:<br /><br />-I can´t post replies by quoting. I need to copy and paste the quote.<br />-It takes almost a minute to load each page of the forum.<br />-Posting/ reading become almost impossible<br />-At times the pages shows just blank<br />
    <br /><br />The time zone can be set in your profile. I did that for you now.<br /><br />As for the page loading, it's fast here. But can you load 10 different pages and then look at the bottom how long it took to load them and post that here?<br />For example, mine now says: Page created in 1.705 seconds with 14 queries.<br />

This discussion has been closed.