Dr. Conrad Murray Michael Jackson Jury Will NOT Be Sequestered

CyanMoonCyanMoon Posts: 31
edited August 2011 in News
http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/25/conrad-murray-doctor-michael-jackson-manslaughter-propofol-death-murder-jury-pastor-sequester/<br /><br />Dr. Conrad Murray<br />Michael Jackson Jury<br />Will NOT Be Sequestered <br />Celebrity Justice  20 minutes ago BY TMZ STAFF<br /><br />0825-conrad-murray-getty-bn.jpg<br /><br />The Dr. Conrad Murray jury will NOT be sequestered, because the judge does not want jurors to feel like inmates.<br /><br />Judge Michael Pastor just ruled ... even though Michael Jackson's death was incredibly high profile, he feels confident sufficient measures will be in place to make sure the jury is not contaminated or harassed.<br /><br />To ensure protection, jurors will each get meals and snacks in the jury room -- not in surrounding lunch areas open to the media and public.<br /><br />Judge Pastor said money is not the issue, even though sequestration is expensive.<br /><br /><br />

Comments

• paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    ... Yesterday TMZ say that the state having won much money and today the judge say that he money is not a problem.... suspicious//
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    So it's not a matter of funds.... we don't want jurors to feel like prisoners... ok that makes sense.<br /><br /><br />Wait no that doesn't make any sense at all. Lol.
  • paula-cpaula-c Posts: 7,221
    Dr. Conrad Murray<br />Michael Jackson Jury<br />Will NOT Be Sequestered <br /><br /> <br />
    <br /> <br /> <br />Who say that thing :?:
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400
    Michael Jackson Jury?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• Here the article from the LA Times<br /><br />http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/08/michael-jackson-death-judge-refuses-to-sequester-jury-in-trial.html<br /><br />Michael Jackson death: Judge refuses to sequester jury in trial  August 25, 2011 | [size=130%]11:40[/size]am<br /><br />Jurors will sleep in their own beds during the upcoming trial of Michael Jackson’s personal physician.<br />A judge rejected a defense request Thursday for round-the-clock sequestration of the panelists, saying he was confident jurors will heed his warnings to avoid what is anticipated to be intense media coverage of the televised proceedings.<br />“I expect that the jurors will follow the high road and that means that they will not be in the receipt of or in contact with information regarding this case” outside the courtroom, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said at a hearing.<br />Lawyers for Dr. Conrad Murray, who stands accused of involuntary manslaughter, had argued for isolation of the jurors in light of opinionated television commentary of the Casey Anthony trial this summer.<br />The judge said jurors will be kept away from reporters in the courthouse and instructed often that reading or watching coverage of the case will result in serious consequences such as contempt of court charges, incarceration and financial penalties.<br />“I have tremendous faith in the jury system and in the individual promises of jurors,” he said.<br />Pastor said the cost of sequestration was a factor although not the determining one. Hotel rooms and other sequestrations expenses would set the cash-strapped court system back more than $500,000, he said.<br />After the judge denied the sequestration request, defense attorney Ed Chernoff said the judge should ban cameras in the courtroom during testimony to blunt the effect of legal analysts on cable TV.<br />The judge refused.<br />“Yes, in all likelihood there will be talking heads. Frequently talking heads are talking through other body parts,” Pastor said.<br />Jury selection begins Sept. 8.
  • on 1314341139:
    <br /><br />After the judge denied the sequestration request, defense attorney Ed Chernoff said the judge should ban cameras in the courtroom during testimony to blunt the effect of legal analysts on cable TV.<br />The judge refused.<br />“Yes, in all likelihood there will be talking heads. Frequently talking heads are talking through other body parts,” Pastor said.<br />
    <br /><br />Maybe I'm stupid, but what does "talking heads are talking through other body parts" mean??<br /><br />OnTheWingsOfLove
  • on 1314341139:
    <br /><br />Pastor said the cost of sequestration was a factor although not the determining one. Hotel rooms and other sequestrations expenses would set the cash-strapped court system back more than $500,000, he said.<br />
    <br /><br />Yea right!  lolol/ Michael is paying for the use of the courtroom just like all the other movie makers who have rented the courts for courtroom scenes! He's paying just like he paid the city for the policeman who were deployed during the memorial at the Staples Center. I clearly remember some so-called concerned citizen here in LA being all over the airways shortly after the memorial stating that the city should be reimbursed by the Jacksons for the cost of the policemen and then that was over with as sudden as it came up! And nothing as been said about that since then. What happened? I could be wrong, but I think the city was paid, just like they will be paid for the courtroom! And is there any reason to sequester actors?<br /><br />  [blink]Aldas, Beannu, Benedizione, Benediction, Bendicion, Bencao, Valsignelse, Zegen, Segen, Palaima,[/blink] Blessings, my friends! <br /><br />OnTheWingsOfLove<br /><br />
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
      talking head <br />1. Television Slang . a closeup picture of a person who is talking, especially as a participant in a talk show.  <br /> (on television) a person, such as a newscaster, who is shown only from the shoulders up, and speaks without the use of any illustrative material  <br />2. Slang . a person whose talk is empty and pretentious.
    <br /> <br />Talking heads talking through other body parts --what?  Maybe sign language? I heard they spent 7 million (Sneddon) trying to hunt Michael down and destroy him in court, and now a mere $500,000 is not worth it to make sure MJ gets justice? Hypocrasy! So many arbitrary double standards, and maybe MJ's trying to help people see that.
  • GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    Jury selection again crash/<br /><br />
  • blankieblankie Posts: 2,350
    All so strange...... :roll: ???/ :shock: crash/ <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> moonwalk_/
    Maybe I'm stupid, but what does "talking heads are talking through other body parts" mean??<br /><br />OnTheWingsOfLove
    <br /><br />It means they will be talking out their asses. It's a little judge funny, lol.
  • Judge Pastor said money is not the issue, even though sequestration is expensive. <br />
    <br /> <br />Money IS the issue here, especially on such a high profile case >:( <br />The judge rejected the request of sequestration because he doesn't want the jurors to feel like inmates?! Come on... is the judge all of a sudden a psychiatrist or somethin'? :mrgreen:  <br /> <br />http://cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2011/08/25/gutierrez.murray.sequestered.cnn
  • [size=14pt] Michael Jackson Trial Is No O.J. Simpson Case [/size] Thu., Aug. 25, 2011 2:30 PM PDT by Natalie Finn  300.murray.jackson.lc.020410.jpg AP Photo/Isaac Brekken; Pool Photographer/Getty Images  <br />This ought to make 12 people—and a few alternates—very happy.<br />The judge who will preside over Dr. Conrad Murray's manslaughter trial announced today that the jury deciding the fate of Michael Jackson's personal physician will not be sequestered, noting that the last time a Los Angeles jury was stashed away was during O.J. Simpson's murder trial.<br />But this is going to be a super high-profile trial, too, right? GALLERY: So True? So False? Is Katy Perry Really as Big as Michael Jackson?! Yes, and that's exactly why the judge doesn't want to treat the jurors like prisoners and have their attitude and flagging resolve affect the verdict.<br />A number of studies have shown that sequestration "interfered with their fair assessment of the evidence and the law," said L.A. Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor at a hearing with prosecutors and defense counsel today.<br />"Jurors want to do the right thing," he added. "Jurors have lives. We remove them from their lives in these horrific economic times." And though the media coverage will be difficult to ignore, "I have more faith and respect for jurors than others do," Pastor said.<br />Murray's attorney, Edward Chernoff, objected, saying if this visible a case wasn't cause for sequestration, then nothing was. He also requested that Pastor rethink his decision to allow cameras in the courtroom, saying it would fuel a Casey Anthony-type media frenzy.<br />"I decline, at this point, to amend my ruling. The First Amendment is one of our most cherished principles and the right to comment is part of that," Pastor said, refusing the request.<br />After a months-long postponement, jury selection is scheduled to begin Sept. 8, with opening statements set for Sept. 27.<br />Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter after being accused of administering what turned out to be a fatal dose of the powerful anesethetic propofol to Michael Jackson. The singer died June 25, 2009.<br /><br />Read more: http://uk.eonline.com/news/michael_jackson_trial_no_oj_simpson_case/260232#ixzz1WAO4nCEm
    Someone refresh my memory, was it not Murray's team that lobbyed for cameras in the court room back in January of this year?<br /><br /><br /><br />
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    bec - http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/07/conrad-murray-michael-jackson-televised-television-manslaughter-trial-death/<br /><br /> Conrad Murray Trial To Be Televised <br /><br /> Dr. Conrad Murray's manslaughter trial in the death of Michael Jackson will be televised.<br /><br />0207-conrad-mj-getty-tmz-01-bn.jpg<br /><br />Judge Michael Pastor handed down the surprise order today.  <br /><br />The trial will not only put the spotlight on Jackson's death, but the manner in which the medical community treats celebrities.<br /><br />Opening statements should begin the first week in April.<br /><br /><br /><br />It doesn't say it was Murray's team or not and I don't recall reading it anywhere else.  Either way, it will be "reality" tv at it's finest.
    @Andrea, thanks. I did a little Google search and found several articles saying similar things, best I could find is CNN saying neither the Defense nor Prosecution opposed cameras back on Feb 8th, 2011.<br /><br /><br />http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/08/judge-rules-michael-jacksons-doctor-trial-will-be-televised/<br /><br /><br />February 8, 2011Judge rules trial for Michael Jackson’s doctor will be televised <br />Posted: 12:35 PM ET <br /> conrad-murray2.jpg?w=300&h=168<br />Los Angeles, CA- The trial of the doctor accused of killing Michael Jackson will be televised. In a rare move, Judge Michael Pastor decided Monday to permit cameras after both sides stated they were unopposed to it. In the past sixteen years, only two high-profile trials were televised in downtown Los Angeles: the 1995 double murder trial of O.J. Simpson and the 2007 murder trial of music producer Phil Spector.<br />Judge Pastor announced he would permit the televising of “openings, the presentation of evidence, closing arguments, the verdict or mistrial declaration” and sentencing, if it gets to that point. He said jury selection, side bar conferences and legal arguments, which are usually outside the jury’s presence, will not be televised.<br />The judge also noted that there may be times during the trial when he will deem it appropriate to “obscure some witnesses,” so he’ll order the cameras turned off.  He didn’t state which witnesses, but it’s possible he is thinking of Michael Jackson’s children who could be called to testify.<br />Jury selection is scheduled to begin March 24. The judge and attorneys expect opening statements and the first witnesses to be presented on Tuesday, April 5.<br />The attorneys will be back in court February 15 to discuss ongoing discovery matters. Doctor Conrad Murray does not have to be present on that date.<br />Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter.  He has pleaded not guilty.<br /> <br />-Beth Karas, In Session Correspondent
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 3,787
    So the judge decided (via MJ I'm sure) and people were surprised by that decision...further proof to me that this is definitely a hoax court.
  • on 1314373337:
    <br />
    Maybe I'm stupid, but what does "talking heads are talking through other body parts" mean??<br /><br />OnTheWingsOfLove
    <br /><br />It means they will be talking out their asses. It's a little judge funny, lol.<br />
    Well thanks for clearing that up!!  A judge with a sense of humor, who would have thought it!
  • Judge Pastor announced he would permit the televising of “openings, the presentation of evidence, closing arguments, the verdict or mistrial declaration” and sentencing, [/color]if it gets to that point.
    <br /><br />Hmmmmmm!  suspicious// Interesting!!  suspicious// I just love reading between the lines! ::P
  • shamzshamz Posts: 100
    wots up with the BIG words?!