Age mixup again - 14ish in 1974?

simalvessimalves Posts: 730
It is a well known fact that boys' voices change when they are around 14 years old. Their voices crack and singers are usually advised not to strain their vocal chords at this time to avoid them spoiling their vocal cords completely.

Here is a video of Michael performing in 1974 when his voice was undergoing this change. I know boys can change earlier like at maybe 12 or so - but would his voice really be changing at 16????

[youtube:3pm5ujm1]

Comments

• roxy101roxy101 Posts: 143
    People experience this at different times.
    Look at Justin Bieber. He's 16 and he's barely beginning to undergo the gradual process of puberty regarding his voice.
  • [youtube:31p2ntep]

This is 1973 and his voice is fine
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    I've always loved Carol Bernette, grew up watching her--so funny and adorable. But so is Michael! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • SouzaSouza Posts: 9,400

Just watch the difference between Mike and Randy, who is born October 29, 1961. Is there 1 year and 9 months in between, or 3 years? There is not much difference, besides the changing voice. A difference between 16 and 13 would have been visible IMO, but 14 and 12/13 not so much.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• SandySandy Posts: 55
    Look at this video. This was the time when Michael had his voice break. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[youtube:3jsmcq3l]

I rewatched the first vid and I see I mixed up Randy and Marlon at one point, I didn't watch the whole vid the first time. Randy is very tiny for a 13-year-old. <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->

I always found it very difficult to guess Mike's age at every moment in his life, maybe because he looked way more mature than he really was when he was little, and so much younger when he got older. When I look at some BAD-era pictures I find it hard to believe that's a 30-year-old. I know some people just are blessed and look younger than they really are and that men in particular never grow up and some even look adorable at 75 while we have to tape our skin together and paint our faces to look a little representative at that age, but I hope you know what I mean. In the first vid he looks more like a 14-year-old than a 16-year-old to me when I compare him with boys that age when I was in highschool, despite of his long legs. I know that was in the early 90's instead of the 70's, but nevertheless I get that with many pictures and videos from the early days. And I can't get the fact out of my head that in the Jacksons - An American Dream, Katherine gets pregnant with Mike in 1959. That movie was made in the early 90's, so everyone knew Mike's age and birth year, I am certain Jermaine of all people wouldn't make that error.

Mikes age and length seem to be a mystery. Older/younger, tall/short... Michael Jackson's big optical illusion....

Straight jacket anyone? <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

• Hi Souza

I knew you would be interested in this.

I got the link from many vocal related sites. They were discussing Michael's vocal range and how his 14th year was a difficult time for him because of the voice break and how he acquired more notes after the voice break and still kept his younger notes as well. It was quite interesting but I don't think I could post their comments here so I did not even save the links to those sites. There were about 4 different forums and all said his voice broke at 14. This video was supposedly him trying not to strain his vocal chords at that delicate time.

I am also wondering if the publicised fact that Motown told him to lie about his age and seem younger was actually just fiction and whether his actual DOB was in 1960. Or did the movie try to keep up with Motown's lie and so said he was born in 1960. Maybe someone should ask Jermaine on twitter.
    Hi Souza

I knew you would be interested in this.

I got the link from many vocal related sites. They were discussing Michael's vocal range and how his 14th year was a difficult time for him because of the voice break and how he acquired more notes after the voice break and still kept his younger notes as well. It was quite interesting but I don't think I could post their comments here so I did not even save the links to those sites. There were about 4 different forums and all said his voice broke at 14. This video was supposedly him trying not to strain his vocal chords at that delicate time.

I am also wondering if the publicised fact that Motown told him to lie about his age and seem younger was actually just fiction and whether his actual DOB was in 1960. Or did the movie try to keep up with Motown's lie and so said he was born in 1960. Maybe someone should ask Jermaine on twitter.

That wouldn't make sense. The movie was released after Mike's book Moonwalk, so people already knew his DOB. Also, the pr-move to 'lie' about his age was explained in the movie.

• So where did the vocalists get their info that Michael was 14 in 1974. There was a very long video where Seth Riggs spoke about Michael's vocals too. Could he have made the error. I think there is a thread on the main MJ site too about his vocal range.
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    I don't know about 'discovering the man I never knew' - I feel I know less and less with every day that goes by. He's starting to feel very distant - like I don't know him at all. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->
    So where did the vocalists get their info that Michael was 14 in 1974. There was a very long video where Seth Riggs spoke about Michael's vocals too. Could he have made the error. I think there is a thread on the main MJ site too about his vocal range.

Thaffa lotta errors... <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

• I don't know about 'discovering the man I never knew' - I feel I know less and less with every day that goes by. He's starting to feel very distant - like I don't know him at all. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Maybe that's the point of this whole thing. I mean ever since Michael was a boy everyone has had their own preconceived notions about him and his life. Maybe what he is trying to tell us is to take a look back so that we will be able to see that beneath the man everyone thought they knew was a real person; one whom we have yet to discover <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->. But don't let it get you down for I am sure that doubting your own preconceived notions is a sure sign that you are heading in the right direction.
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    I don't know about 'discovering the man I never knew' - I feel I know less and less with every day that goes by. He's starting to feel very distant - like I don't know him at all. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Maybe that's the point of this whole thing. I mean ever since Michael was a boy everyone has had their own preconceived notions about him and his life. Maybe what he is trying to tell us is to take a look back so that we will be able to see that beneath the man everyone thought they knew was a real person; one whom we have yet to discover <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->. But don't let it get you down for I am sure that doubting your own preconceived notions is a sure sign that you are heading in the right direction.

I understand what you're getting at. I've spent the past few months looking beyond the 'entertainer' and discovering what I thought was the real person, but now I'm questioning whether he really wants to be 'discovered', whether he really wants the world to see the real him. He seems to have spent his life hiding it, acting a part, surrounding himself in mystery and illusion, and now we can't even agree on something as basic as his true age, because of strange inconsistencies. We don't even know what he really looks like, what with make-up, wigs and, dare I mention them, doubles. We question his marriages, his children, his family, every tiny facet of his life and being and yet we get no closer to knowing the man. To be honest I'm not even sure I can trust what I've heard him say with his own lips, because I don't know how much has been part of his 'show', his 'illusion', and not the real him at all.

He may have left the King of Pop behind, but his death hoax is just a different form of mystery, illusion, confusion and 'performance'. He's still holding back, giving us only what he wants to, keeping his distance, metaphorically as well as physically. If that's the way he wants it to be, so be it, it's probably actually the way most of us live our lives, few of us are 'open books', so it's fine. If I feel sad that that makes him a stranger in my eyes, that's my problem, not his.

I don't want to scrutinise him any more. I don't know him at all and I'm realising I probably never will. When you said I am 'heading in the right direction', I don't know if you meant 'closure', but that's kind of what it feels like.
  • JudeJude Posts: 452
    I'm convinced that the last time we saw the real Michael was the bad days, after that it's an impersonator, imo, where he went after the bad era is not an easy question to answer.
    I'm convinced that the last time we saw the real Michael was the bad days, after that it's an impersonator, imo, where he went after the bad era is not an easy question to answer.

I disagree. He might have started using doubles way more after the BAD era and used make-up to change his features, but we have seen him as well. I don't think we have seen him much since 2001 though.

• Michael was told to lie about his age so much while he was under contract with Motown, it amazes me that he was able to keep up. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • @ simalves:
    If MJ (and family members or others) lied about his age for a while, then 1960 was the lie - not 1958! If Michael had been born in 1960, then saying he was born in 1958 would have made him look OLDER, not younger. I truly believe he was born in 1958.
  • @ simalves:
    If MJ (and family members or others) lied about his age for a while, then 1960 was the lie - not 1958! If Michael had been born in 1960, then saying he was born in 1958 would have made him look OLDER, not younger. I truly believe he was born in 1958.

Sorry, Truthprevails, but I am convinced it was just the other way round.

Besides my own memory (born in 1959 I used to live with the impression that MJ was younger than I am - and in teenage years that matters a lot!). And all the bios - especially Adrain Grant`s - are quite vague about the early years.

I am even more convinced after I saw this cover of "Rolling Stone Magazine" - published in April 1971

<!-- m -->http://s12.bdbphotos.com/images/150x200<!-- m --> ... sieiei.jpg

showing little MJ and asking what an "11 year old has to do after bedtime".

That might be the reason why they actually did NOT lie about his true age in the first place but had to make him older later in order to avoid trouble with the child`s labour acts (the age of twelve used to be relevant to the question of how many hours a day a child was allowed to work - even and especially in the entertainment industry).

To cover up the whole thing they later claimed that MJ had to "lie about his age" since Motown supposedly "made him younger". Of course they had to explain it somehow ...

Yes, indeed he had to lie about his true age ... being forced to behave "older" than he actually was.

Wouldn`t it be confusing for a little boy to pretend to be more mature than he was able to due to his real age?

And isn`t that "childhood had been totally taken away - or even stolen - from him" as he bitterly claimed all the time?

For me, it all makes perfect sense. As he stated in Moonwalker: "My adolescence problems messed up my whole personality" ... but given these additional circumstances wouldn`t it be more than understandable for him to develope a kind of disturbed self-concept?

For more proof please do some picture comparisons throughout his adolescense and youth.
  • Sorry, link didn`t work. Try this one

<!-- m -->http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Michael-J ... 63038_.htm<!-- m -->
  • The second line doesn't work for me either.

I always thought that little Michael was younger than they'd been telling us. Looooong before the hoax. But finding the real date of his birth seems important in relation to the numerology of the hoax. If the 1958 year was fake, all the documentation stating his date of birth would have been fake too?! Considering the Joe/Joseph issue, this would get even crazier. Really don't know what to think of it... <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
  • Aintnosunshine, I understand your argument and you offer a good reason why MJ's age might have been misrepresented (labor laws), but I don't consider looks/photos to be a perfect indication of one's age, and moreover I find it hard to believe that there would be so many fake documents out there, only to make MJ appear a mere 2 years older... I also don't think that Michael was this huge mystery who kept a lot of things hidden from the public... Just my personal opinion.

Anyhow, the younger brother Randy is said to have been born on 29 Oct. 1961. Maybe we can compare old photos/videos with him and MJ to see how much older Michael appears to be (than Randy)? This would be, as I said, a possible indication, but not hard evidence...

Here are some Jackson 5 (or rather 6) interviews from 1974:
    [youtube:1s5wzgzi]

Here's also a beautiful Michael interview from 1974 (with questions from fans) which I just discovered:

Do you think MJ is only 1.5 yr older than Randy? I believe he appears older than that...
    And BTW, the Michael interview from 1974 really makes me think of the older Michael, and how it's really the same person... The same mannerisms, way of speaking & holding the mike, etc.
  • Wow, really cute! You're absolutely right, I can see and hear Michael there!! Same expressions, gestures, tone and voice, amazing! But his soft voice reminds me of Jermaine a bit..Jermain speaks really softly too <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    About the age: I actually think that in the last video Mike does look his age (16).
  • Another proof might be what Joe stated in an interview with a german newspaper:

"We used to have a pit bull for quite a while, and one day it tore from his kennel. Michael, he was just six years old, and his two years younger brother Randy were playing in front of the house, and the dog ran directly towards them. Michael was on top of the car roof with just one jump, Randy was bitten in the Achilles tendon, which still causes him problems. By then it was clear: Michael is moving like just no other."

For the whole interview look at <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=59&t=11180&start=0<!-- l -->
  • SkySky Posts: 62
    Another proof might be what Joe stated in an interview with a german newspaper:

"We used to have a pit bull for quite a while, and one day it tore from his kennel. Michael, he was just six years old, and his two years younger brother Randy were playing in front of the house, and the dog ran directly towards them. Michael was on top of the car roof with just one jump, Randy was bitten in the Achilles tendon, which still causes him problems. By then it was clear: Michael is moving like just no other."

For the whole interview look at <!-- l -->viewtopic.php?f=59&t=11180&start=0<!-- l -->
    Well that's odd I'm pretty sure we didn't have breeds of pit bulls yet around when I was six, I'm a year younger than MJ ????
  • Another proof might be what Joe stated in an interview with a german newspaper:

Well that's odd I'm pretty sure we didn't have breeds of pit bulls yet around when I was six, I'm a year younger than MJ ????

Yes we had, and even far before the 1960's.

Pit Bull Terrier

History/Origin:
    His ancestors were brought to the United States in the mid - 1800's by Boston-Irish immigrants. Originally bred from a variety of bulldogs and terriers, American breeders increased his weight and gave him a more powerful head. A forbearer to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they were originally bred to be a fighting dog. Bull baiting was banned in England in 1835 and these dogs are no longer being bred to fight. There is some complication in registries of this breed. The AKC considers the American Staffordshire Terrier as separate and distinct from the American Pit Bull Terrier, yet the UKC will register both as American Pit Bull Terriers (APBTs).

In America, the Pit Bull flourished. It was one of the most popular breeds, highly prized by a wide variety of people. The Pit Bull was used to represent the US in WW1 artwork; popular companies like RCA and the Buster Brown Shoe Company used the breed as their mascots. A Pit Bull named Petie starred in the popular children's television series, Our Gang; a Pit Bull mix named Stubby became a decorated WWI hero. Pit Bulls accompanied pioneer famiels on their explorations. Laura Ingalls Wilder of the popular Little House books owned a working Pit Bulldog named Jack. Famous individuals like Theodore Roosevelt and Helen Keller owned the breed. It was during this time that the Pit Bull truly became America's sweetheart breed, admired, respected and loved.

In 1898 the United Kennel Club was formed with the express intent of providing registration and fighting guidelines for the now officially-named American Pit Bull Terrier. Later, those who wished to distance themselves from the fighting aspect of the breed petitioned the American Kennel Club for recognition of the Pit Bull so that it would be eligible for dog shows and other performance events. The AKC conceded in 1936 but only under the stipulation that the dogs registered with them be called "Staffordshire Terriers", the name of the province in England the breed supposedly originated in. Upon acceptance of the breed, many people dual-registered their dogs with both the AKC and the UKC.

The AKC eventually closed it's studbooks to American Pit Bull Terriers. They allowed registration only to those dogs with parents registered as Staffordshire Terriers. For a short period in the 1970's, the AKC reopened its studbooks to American Pit Bull Terriers. In 1973 the AKC added the prefix "American" to the breed's name in an effort to distinguish it from the newly recognized Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Today, only those dogs with AmStaff parents are eligible for registration. Both the UKC and the ADBA allow registration of AmStaffs, but in these organizations the dogs carry the original name, "American Pit Bull Terrier."