TIAI January 17

13»

Comments

• @ soldieroflove... your post was extemely interesting. I did not read the rest of the thread but I had to respond to you. You are a member from another country and it was very interesting to me to see what you have been taught about Martin Luther King . I am Canadian but as we live nextdoor to the elephant we see what they say.

I was blown away by your insight into an American hero and his family and what you were taught and what you see, and you have given me a new way to see this national hero and his son. I am impressed by your thoughts and you have given me much to think about. Thanks for that !! Hero worship can sometimes be a strange thing. Just my opinion folks and cheers.

Hi Lovely Lurker,

I'm not sure if you're speaking of the same person that I am? Just to make sure we're speaking about the same person, Martin Luther, the German 16th Century church reformer is a different person from the African American Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., leader and civil rights activist of the 20th century. I believe that in this particular thread I was speaking of Martin Luther of the 16th Century.

I have the utmost respect and reverence for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who's birthday we celebrated yesterday as a national holiday in the U.S.

And, while I do recognize the signficant contributions to church reform by Martin Luther, I see him as a controversial figure. There are a lot of interesting and varying comments throughout this thread about him.

However, your point is well-taken regarding "hero worship".
  • @SoldierofLOVE: Thanks for the connection to Erikson (Clinical social worker waving hi to clinical psychologist...and yes, the cynical, goes for me, too..lol). As you can see from my signature- Erikson is on my mind a lot.

Happy belated birthday, loyalfan! Thanks you for sharing the great pictures.

And of course, thank you TS- what a great message on yesterday's day of service. And yes, it goes back to loving ourselves as a basis to reaching out and loving others. It's about recognizing the potential for change that lives in all of us. Changes we make can affect those around us in amazing ways.

One more thing this post made me think of (having just come from a V thread..)- Freedom-Independence- "See you in July."